• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a job on the railway for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovebikes

I like trains and public transport but I'm trying to find out whether a job on the railway would be for me. So I would like to know what things helped you figure out whether working on the railway was for you. Are there any good books, websites, channels that give good insights into this kind of work? Or are there better ways to learn more about the railway?

I'm a university dropout with good A-Levels trying to find work in customer service to get experience for my CV. I would like to apply for a bus driver trainee job which I could possibly use to help get a job as a train driver. I've also considered going back to university but doing a more useful course in civil/rail engineering, but in both the train driver and university route I'm not sure whether they would be good for me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

donpoku

It has its ups and downs but generally great industry to work for as you seldom see people leave once they join.

Why don't you try it out and if not for you is not for you.

I feel you need reassurance for the decision you have or going to make but ultimately is you that will have to decide and my best advice is to go work your heart do what best for you and makes you happy.

WrongRoad

It’s more of an answer of how you feel in yourself than we can answer for you. Ask yourself, being a Train Driver, do you think you can handle the responsibility of having hundreds of lives in your care, are you put off working unsocial hours missing out on social events. Are you happy working long hours by yourself?

Driver2B

I like trains and public transport but I'm trying to find out whether a job on the railway would be for me. So I would like to know what things helped you figure out whether working on the railway was for you. Are there any good books, websites, channels that give good insights into this kind of work? Or are there better ways to learn more about the railway?

I'm a university dropout with good A-Levels trying to find work in customer service to get experience for my CV. I would like to apply for a bus driver trainee job which I could possibly use to help get a job as a train driver. I've also considered going back to university but doing a more useful course in civil/rail engineering, but in both the train driver and university route I'm not sure whether they would be good for me.

Unfortunately, only you (and perhaps people close to you) can tell if it's the right move for you.

To help you decide, you could look at some advertisements for roles and consider if you think you match the criteria of what they are looking for. Being safety-concious, careful, a good communicator with good attention to detail is important across the industry.

For example, here are criteria to compare yourslef against:
Joining LNER as Trainee Train Driver you'll be involved in the following;
  • Ensuring that you work to the best of your ability during the intensive training period.
  • Studying for and passing all relevant assessments which contribute to becoming a Qualified Train Driver
  • Delivering the highest standards of operational and occupational safety at all times.
  • Preparing, driving and disposing of trains and traction units safely, ensuring the correct processes and procedures are rigorously followed.
  • Ensuring all communication is carried out in accordance with industry and LNER standards.
  • Building and maintaining productive and professional relationships with colleagues across the business.
  • Locating and rectifying where possible or reporting defective equipment safe on the train and liaising with the LNER Control team to ensure the safe working of trains.
  • Providing excellent customer service by ensuring a safe and punctual service for both customers and colleagues.
Does this sound like the opportunity for you? There are few must haves…

To be considered for our Train Driver position you will need to be able to demonstrate the following:
  • That you are over 20.5 years of age.
  • That you live within 1 hour of the location you are applying for at the time of application. Successful candidates will be responsible for making their own way to the depot, even when public transport is not available.
  • Be able to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
  • Have A-C Maths and English or equivalent (and be able to provide certificates)
  • Have experience of working in a responsible role following set rules and procedures.
  • Proven concentration skills and the ability to work alone for long periods of time.
  • Be resilient and able to work under challenging situations without losing focus.
  • Excellent professional communication skills appropriate in ensuring a safe environment
  • A passion for providing a high standard of service for customers.
  • Experience of being an effective team player.
  • A willingness to learn new information, apply it in practice and be open to change.
  • Be consistently punctual – vitally important in the role of Driver

Generally, I would not recommend university as a route into the railway for roles such as customer assistant, guard or driver. Many drivers work their way up, especially if they haven't developed much of a CV. However, many join the grade from the outside. To do this, it helps to have a CV where you can demonstrate transferable skills.

From your message, you appear to be intelligent, cautious with attention to detail, so I would suggest that a role in the railway would probably be for you.

EMR are hosting an online virtual open day for prospective drivers (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/emr-drivers-virtual-open-day-tickets-123669427587) - I would highly recommend you join this.

I hope that this is helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

London 10101

Try to make a career out of your studies first even if it means going to university. If you have good A levels, then i suggest going to university and working into a grad programme from there. The railway has a lot of graduate programmes which you might fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.