• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is a Penalty Fare a civil matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1919

A few months ago I was issued a penalty fare by Merseyrail. I paid the fare and gave the inspector my correct details as it was explained I had to. As far as I'm concerned the matter is resolved and more importantly, Merseyrail agrees.

Am I right in thinking that this is a civil matter and if and when I apply for jobs, visas etc am I right in thinking I can click the box that says I don't have a criminal record. And thus the incident will not affect my applications.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Correct, a Penalty Fare is effectively an administrative penalty (though issued under specific legislation) and is not a criminal matter. It is in this sort of context more similar to a private parking "penalty", or perhaps better one issued with statutory basis by a Council.

Steve1919

Correct, a Penalty Fare is effectively an administrative penalty (though issued under specific legislation) and is not a criminal matter. It is in this sort of context more similar to a private parking "penalty", or perhaps better one issued with statutory basis by a Council.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it won't affect me.

Status
Not open for further replies.