• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is evading the lavatory entry fee seen as harshly as evading a fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

I see that certain station staff (eg shop workers) have a way of entering paying toilets at stations, without paying.

If a member of the public was to find themselves short of cash but needing to spend a penny, would copying such a member of staff be acceptable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
No, but then I recently paid a toilet entry fee to find they were completely out of order for maintenance. So it swings both ways...

Master29

Established Member
The question should be is it acceptable to be paying for toilets full stop and the answer has to be no. Why should the blame be apportioned to either staff or travellers?

Carlisle

Established Member
I see that certain station staff (eg shop workers) have a way of entering paying toilets at stations, without paying.
?
I’d have thought (In the U.K. anyway) it’d be a legal requirement of operating any station shop or similar concession that the employees have access to free toilet facilities within a reasonable distance of their workplace

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
If the station has a pub on it, use the toilets in there.

Why should the pub pay to provide toilets to the public?

They cost money; toilet roll, soap, people and materiel to clean them and of course an endless damage repair bill because people can’t use them without destroying them, intentionally or otherwise.

alexl92

Established Member

They cost money; toilet roll, soap, people and materiel to clean them and of course an endless damage repair bill because people can’t use them without destroying them, intentionally or otherwise.

I do see your point, but toilets have to be seen as a human right, not a luxury that can be denied to someone. There is a balance to be struck.

Established Member
NR have suggested they will pull all toilet fees at some point soon, given the scandal of how much money they have made from them.

As for the rights and wrongs of wrangling the barrier and not paying, I'll prob be the first one to be jailed under the regulation of the toilets act 1889. :o

bnm

Established Member

Because, in nearly all cases, it's a condition placed on them by the local authority if they provide food and drink.

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 Part 20 allows local authorities to:

- specify requirements for toilets, and associated facilities, to be made available for use by members of the public using a variety of premises (entertainment, pubs, restaurants etc) and

- to make them available free of charge.

Iskra

Established Member
Because, in nearly all cases, it's a condition placed on them by the local authority if they provide food and drink.

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 Part 20 allows local authorities to:

- specify requirements for toilets, and associated facilities, to be made available for use by members of the public using a variety of premises (entertainment, pubs, restaurants etc) and

- to make them available free of charge.

Yes. For customers.

Not for people on the street or railway outside, as was suggested.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
No, but then I recently paid a toilet entry fee to find they were completely out of order for maintenance. So it swings both ways...

If you are in the toilet and it doesn't swing both ways, you need to see a doctor - or start washing your hands after handling superglue.

Or go on the train before you get to the station...

On in the station, if it has retention tanks. Parked Pendolinos at Manchester Piccadilly are a great source of toilet breaks. Learnt my lesson at Euston though, when I almost got carried away to Coventry.

CC 72100

Established Member
On in the station, if it has retention tanks. Parked Pendolinos at Manchester Piccadilly are a great source of toilet breaks. Learnt my lesson at Euston though, when I almost got carried away to Coventry.

In a similar vein it is one benefit of the growing amount of IETs at Paddington too!

Joe Paxton

Established Member

If a member of the public was to find themselves short of cash but needing to spend a penny, would copying such a member of staff be acceptable?

Do any forumites know of any loopholes by which one could deposit a penny for lavatorial entry but spend rather more than that once through the gateline?

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
See quite a few jump the barriers at Edinburgh Waverley . What happens if your caught though ?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I do see your point, but toilets have to be seen as a human right, not a luxury that can be denied to someone. There is a balance to be struck.
In Germany and Austria, one has to pay to use the loos. Even in restaurants.

Over here most places offering disabled loos, don't charge to use them. However last time I wanted to use a disabled one in Shepherds Bush near the underground station it cost.

What I don't understand is why some London terminals still charge but others don't. I might understand if they universally charged but I don't get the difference. I thought they were all managed by Network Rail.

When I was in Austria this year, I wanted to use a loo. I saw somewhere to put your money so did. Then I went to use the cubicle and found to use that you needed to put money in to.m open the door. What I didn't know was that the other money taking machine was only for urinals. I imagine local knowledge would help there.

trainmania100

Established Member
I'm always sneaking past the turnstiles whenever possible. Sanitation is a human right and indecent exposure is a criminal offense so I've got no choice but to use the public toilets whether I want to pay or not

Ianigsy

In Germany and Austria, one has to pay to use the loos. Even in restaurants.

I seem to recall the toilets at Nuremberg Hbf cost 1 euro, but the receipt doubled as a 50c voucher redeemable at some of the station concessions.

A few months ago I went to use the toilets at Manchester Victoria and found that a homeless man had a nice little scheme going- he held the turnstile back with his hand and asked for some change from users. I'll also admit to using my MetroCard (when I had one) to pop through the barriers at Leeds, use the toilet and then come out again...

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Being able to eat arguably could also be seen as a human right - but that doesn't mean I should expect my local Sainsbury's to provide me with free sandwiches whenever I wish!

I do think that there should be a responsibility on local authorities to ensure adequate toilets are provided for the public in town centres etc., and any business should have a responsibility to provide toilets to customers if that nature of their business involves customers staying on their premises for a reasonable while - which would imply pubs providing toilets for customers - as just about every pub already does. But requiring pubs to provide toilets to non-customers is not reasonable.

Geoff DC

Quite some years ago as a truck driver running through Austria to the Middle East I would often stop at Graz Station at night & use the Baths on the platform
AIUI Originally built for Orient Express passengers, but on a cold winters night a BIG hot bath & fluffy towels was a real treat for just a few shillings

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Many local councils run a "community toilet scheme", whereby businnesses (cafes, supermarkets etc) agree to let members of the public use their toilet facilities during opening hours. In exchange, participating businesses can get some funding from the council (though like everything I expect this funding has been stretched of late... but it'll be cheaper than the council running their own standalone toilet facilities).

Bevan Price

Established Member

On the other hand, free toilets lessen the chance of people peeing in unsuitable (often illegal) locations -- something that dimwitted councillors round UK fail to comprehend after closing most of their public loos.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think everyone would prefer free toilets but once they become free they can very quickly deteriorate in terms of cleanliness and availability (vandalised cubicles etc). Victoria isn't the nicest toilet now after going free.

St Pancras often has queues, sometimes even for men, while King's Cross is pretty clean and without queues - but costs 30p.

route101

Established Member
Quite some years ago as a truck driver running through Austria to the Middle East I would often stop at Graz Station at night & use the Baths on the platform
AIUI Originally built for Orient Express passengers, but on a cold winters night a BIG hot bath & fluffy towels was a real treat for just a few shillings

Where did you go trucking?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Being able to eat arguably could also be seen as a human right - but that doesn't mean I should expect my local Sainsbury's to provide me with free sandwiches whenever I wish!

But when did starving carry the risk of bodily fluids exiting from your body?

I can understand why it may be a good idea to charge for toilets, but at stations surely they should have a ticket reader on the turnstile?

nickdavies

I seem to recall the toilets at Nuremberg Hbf cost 1 euro, but the receipt doubled as a 50c voucher redeemable at some of the station concessions.

That's a common German thing, motorways services are like it. Make sure you go to the loo before you buy a coffee, not after.

Status
Not open for further replies.