• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is It Really Preservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi,

Over the previous weeks I have being pondering the question in my head; Is It really Preservation? Just Dumping engines and Rolling Stock in a Siding on a Preservation Railway, just left to rot.

My personal opinion is no. True Preservation in my, and many other's eyes is of a Railway line with restored & working engines, with all their carridges working, being restored or displayed. Unfortunately, this is not a thing you can see on most railways these days. With carridges going out from the Mainline, the Preservation World has been over run with Mk1's & Mk2's. Most of these owners have no real funds though. When the coach has been moved to the line it is thenm left in the sidings until the owner decides what to do, and sometimes that decision is to just leave it on the railway premises, and just dissappear.

What do you think? Should they be allowed to dump stock on lines without the lines deciding what to do after a few years deriliction? Or just leave it to muck-up Britain's beautiful Countryside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Remember, preservation not only takes time but also manpower. Also, lines are generally run by volunteers who have to use up their spare time. Also, the money mainly has to come from donations/shop/train fares - it's not just given to the railways.

Tom B

Established Member
Slowly introducing new locos and stock will generate much more interest than it all being there and the railway being stuck at what to do next!

Guinness

Established Member
You need to consider the following though...

- Use for the Loco/Coach
- Need an Overhaul etc.
- Space inside of the Loco Depot to give Train Attention etc.
- Staff
- Attention needed
- Money

Those things are possible although you could have the Loco/Coach in full Mainline working order. I guess it would vary between Railway to Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.