• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it true that cats can tell that conductor rails are live but dogs can't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall reading a story on Ceefax (which gives you an indication it was a while back) about 20 years ago of a fox leading a pack of hounds over the line through the New Forest near Brockenhurst. The fox avoided the third rail; several hounds didn't. A train also arrived around that time so the third rail was presumably rather charged at that point.

After a quick search, I managed to find the story: it's here.

No idea if the fox got lucky or if it had learned what the third rail can do.

I was once waiting for an LUL train at Harrow on the Hill and "sensed" something by my feet. When I looked down there was a fox sat there. We waited for the train to arrive and as it did, Charlie wandered down the platform and got on. Cue announcement from the train operator; "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, I'm sure you've heard many reasons for a delay to the service, but a fox has just boarded the train and we need to remove it." By chance I was waiting near the dispatcher and could overhear his radio: "We've just got a hold on bingo bongo 58 at Harrow as a fox has boarded the train." Line controller, "Oh, has he got the right ticket?"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I think we’ve had a similar thread recently.
Cats can apparently hear electricity, but dogs can’t as they don’t have the same hearing range as cats.

mike57

Established Member
Interesting topic, stood on York station one damp winters day and you could feel the 25kV field from the overhead at the platform edge, but a DC field is a static field, depending on how its generated there may be some ripple, but it will be quite small. Of course for electrocution to occur there needs to be simultanious contact with an earthed object, thats why birds can land and perch on high voltage cables. I also suspect the difference in behaviours would be important, unless actually in the process of chasing down prey cats dont tend to rush, so they would have time for their senses to pick up the danger, where as dogs tend to run around, and be more excited, probably less likely to sense whatever it is they sense. It would be interesting to know if foxes are caught out, as they are more wild, and would be more aware of there surroundings. Corona discharge generates noise, maybe cats can hear it, but not sure that there would be much at 750v.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've seen foxes at stations in 3rd rail territory in the cess and they were running parallel to the line. They seemed (to me anyway) to be aware that they shouldn't pass over that particular rail, even when there was a long gap in service.

contrex

Fur is quite a decent insulator at 750v. I think if a cat leapt over, or crept under a live rail and brushed it with its fur, it might well be lucky and survive.

sw1ller

Established Member
My cat keeps giving me a static shock with its nose then looking at me like I’m the bad guy!! Then it runs away and I don’t see it till feeding time! So they ain’t that smart!

unlevel42

Living things don't have to earth themselves to be killed by electrical power.
On a racecourse a stray current has killed several racehorses but harmless to humans.
The feet of a bird are at the same potential and offer high resistance so the electricity doesn’t flow through them.
If out walking and a power cable hits the ground, put your feet together and shuffle away slowly- this reduces the PD.

Trackman

Established Member
Living things don't have to earth themselves to be killed by electrical power.
On a racecourse a stray current has killed several racehorses but harmless to humans.
The feet of a bird are at the same potential and offer high resistance so the electricity doesn’t flow through them.
If out walking and a power cable hits the ground, put your feet together and shuffle away slowly- this reduces the PD.
I remember that, it was something to do with conductive hooves, which some horses didn't have.
The jockey was just about to mount too.
btw: I assume PD is potential difference.
I've just asked my Cat, but didn't get an intelligent reply.
It mumbled 'Leave me alone, I want to sleep!'

Stathern Jc

Re racehorses. I wonder if their footwear might leave them a bit vulnerable?

Haven't had any dealings with 3rd rails; but there were electric fences in the fields where I grew up and my Dad tought me to check them with a long piece of grass so you only got a mild tickle in the nuckles if they were on.

When I was about 8 I was across the fields with a schoolpal and inevitably as small boys we had to stop for a widdle. A limited range that came back in middle age.
And just in midflow he said "I bet you I can hit that wire!".
And before I could warn him not to (I did try, honest. Was probably too young then to have thought about not doing), ZAPP!!!
Even a fence running on a 12V car battery didn't half make him jump back and yelp!

Elecman

Established Member
I remember that, it was something to do with conductive hooves, which some horses didn't have.
The jockey was just about to mount too.
btw: I assume PD is potential difference.

It mumbled 'Leave me alone, I want to sleep!'
It’s not particularly conuctive hooves but the difference in distance between the front and rear legs that in a relatively high voltage gradient from a downed cable leaves a large enough potential difference to give horses/cows a fatal shock

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Really? You might want to try telling that to the pigeon that cooked itself when it decided to settle on the OHLE underneath the station overbridge at York. The deafening bang that echoed across the station roof silenced the station as 25kv zapped through its feet, body and wings and in to the earth via the overbridge. As the echos of the explosion faded the poor bird having created its own zig zag shape from what remained of its body within the rail tracks on the floor puffed and panted ever more slowly with each passing yet increasingly alarming breath to its eventual demise while the thronging crowd standing on platform 5 watched over its passing with a morbid fascination. The only high resistance seen that day was the birds valiant and desperate attempt to cling to its last gasp of life

D6130

Established Member
I've seen pigeons come to grief that way on more than one occasion, while perching under the bridge at the North end of Skipton station. They flap their wings while perched on the wire and as soon as one or both wings come into contact with the steel bridge girders - BANG! 25,000 volts wire to earth. It's not a particularly pleasant smell afterwards either.

unlevel42

Really? You might want to try telling that to the pigeon that cooked itself when it decided to settle on the OHLE underneath the station overbridge at York. The deafening bang that echoed across the station roof silenced the station as 25kv zapped through its feet, body and wings and in to the earth via the overbridge. As the echos of the explosion faded the poor bird having created its own zig zag shape from what remained of its body within the rail tracks on the floor puffed and panted ever more slowly with each passing yet increasingly alarming breath to its eventual demise while the thronging crowd standing on platform 5 watched over its passing with a morbid fascination. The only high resistance seen that day was the birds valiant and desperate attempt to cling to its last gasp of life
In your example the bird was stood on the power line and came into contact with the overbridge.
In my example the bird was stood on the power line.
Two very different situations.

Lucan

Established Member
there is a black cat at Dinsdale which actively prefers the rail head over the ballast or sleepers to stroll along .... Presumably more comfortable on the paws...
No, it is because they like to be higher up in order to spot prey better. I live next to woodland and my cat goes with us when I take the dog for a walk. The cat always opts to walk along fallen branches and tree trunks that are alongside or near the path, while scanning the ground.

kieranhendy

Already plenty of replies on this thread but I thought I should contribute my experience - I recall watching a video a while back about a farm cat that can tell when the electric fencing around the animals is turned on and as such doesn't go near it but when it's off the cat climbs about the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.