• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Lowestoft the furthest East station in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Now those who originate from Norfolk could be offended, it's Great Yarmouth, Yarmouth is on the Isle of Wight.

A dump? In fairness I've not been back in at least 20 years so don't really know. But when I was in my teens and early 20's it was the place to go on a Friday or Saturday night if you liked girls. At that time there were loads of Americans who were involved with oil and gas exploration works. Seem to remember a very popular restaurant, think it was the Wheelstop Diner, Caister way, which had a pair of massive wheels outside from a Flying Fortress. Guess it's all gone now.

It's changed. It is a dump. It gets progressively nicer along the coast the further you get away from it - Lowestoft, Sherringham, North Norfolk coast up to Wells etc.

Quite a few Norfolk old timers still have their rose tinted specs on

I lived there for about 9 months over a winter/spring. It was the most depressing place i have ever lived ( and i come from the north east!) Horrible. gray, damp, dismal. Crushingly dull and life shortingly tedious. The cultural highlight: Jim Davison ffs.

it was much nicer up the coast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Why? The OP mentions 3 points of the compass. I mentioned the fourth. A place for the OP to visit on his quest perhaps, if he hasn`t already done so. What is odd about that?
You said; "You forget furthest south. Penzance", whereas; 'Don't forget Penzance' would have been more appropriate as it doesn't assume it has been forgotten. Hope this clears up this important point!

Master29

Established Member
You said; "You forget furthest south. Penzance", whereas; 'Don't forget Penzance' would have been more appropriate as it doesn't assume it has been forgotten. Hope this clears up this important point!
I see your point looking at it again. Makes perfect sense now.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Now those who originate from Norfolk could be offended, it's Great Yarmouth, Yarmouth is on the Isle of Wight.

A dump? In fairness I've not been back in at least 20 years so don't really know. But when I was in my teens and early 20's it was the place to go on a Friday or Saturday night if you liked girls. At that time there were loads of Americans who were involved with oil and gas exploration works. Seem to remember a very popular restaurant, think it was the Wheelstop Diner, Caister way, which had a pair of massive wheels outside from a Flying Fortress. Guess it's all gone now.
Whilst I technically do not originate from Norfolk, but rather Kent, I have lived in Norfolk for longer than the best part of my life. I am not in the slightest bit offended. In fact I fully agree with you.

mm333

GB STATIONS
Thurso is the northernmost station.
Arisaig is the westernmost station.
Lowestoft is the easternmost station.
Penzance is the southernmost station.

Although if you use the OS grid (which the ORR station usages estimates do), Penzance, St.Ives, Carbis Bay, St. Erth, Lelant Saltings, Lelant, Hayle and Camborne are all further west than Arisaig. The ORR spreadsheet has Penzance's OS grid easting as 147588, Camborne's as 164830 and Arisaig as 166400.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The OS grid always has 1km squares but a degree of longitude represents a shorter distance when closer to the poles. True north and grid north line up in the middle of the country but diverge going east or west, rather like sticking a postage stamp on a globe. Look at either Arisaig or Penzance in the OS view on Bing Maps and true north is vertical but the gridlines are off vertical by about 5 degrees.

HLE

Established Member

Still a restaurant but the wheelstop itself went years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.