• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Newport Station ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baz37

A report has placed Newport Station as the "3rd ugliest building in the world," while I wouldn't go that far I do think it isn't a great design. Link to the report below.

NEWPORT railway station has been named as the third ugliest building in the entire world according to a study of posts on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's ugly and unpleasant inside too (very much an "outdoor indoor" on the cheap feel). The platforms are cold and grim.

This, however, is wholly in keeping with the city, which is an abject and utter dump.

Surprised, as an aside, that Beetham Tower in Manchester isn't on the list, it's an utter wart on the city's increasingly Londonesque skyline.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It's ugly and unpleasant inside too (very much an "outdoor indoor" on the cheap feel). The platforms are cold and grim.

This, however, is wholly in keeping with the city, which is an abject and utter dump.
All very true.
It’s rather greenhousey. I wouldn’t say ugly though.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All very true.

I really feel for those Cardiff students who were outbased there due to accommodation shortage (hopefully not yourself?) - though I suppose as a student to some extent it's more about the people, as me and my friends certainly lived in some utter rathole parts of Manchester in our time there.

MikeWM

Established Member
I'm not sure I can take this story remotely seriously given it claims that Preston railway station is the third-ugliest building in the UK, which it most certainly is not.

It isn't a style I like at all, but I'd say Newport (the station, not the city) is far more annoying and poorly-designed than ugly. Can't say I'm terribly impressed with the city either, but maybe that's partly because it always seems to be raining when I go there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I can take this story remotely seriously given it claims that Preston railway station is the third-ugliest building in the UK, which it most certainly is not.

I think Preston station is quite an attractive building - quite grand in places. It has poor facilities and a sub-optimal layout with the de-facto main entrance being a tiny door with no ticketing facilities across a narrow stepped bridge, of course, but Euston is ugly but with good facilities, so the two aren't connected.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I really feel for those Cardiff students who were outbased there due to accommodation shortage (hopefully not yourself?) - though I suppose as a student to some extent it's more about the people, as me and my friends certainly lived in some utter rathole parts of Manchester in our time there.
Absolutely not myself thankfully, I got my preferred uni accommodation for first year and this second year and next year I have a house in a very handy location for the school and the library. :) I wasn’t aware anyone was made to live in Newport, all students tend to be based around Cathays, Gabalfa and Heath.

I’ve just read it properly and only just realised third ugliest building in the world - surely not? I had taken third ugliest train station in the UK from it for some reason, and while it won’t win any beauty contests, thought even that was a push.

MikeWM

Established Member
I think Preston station is quite an attractive building - quite grand in places. It has poor facilities and a sub-optimal layout with the de-facto main entrance being a tiny door with no ticketing facilities across a narrow stepped bridge, of course, but Euston is ugly but with good facilities, so the two aren't connected.

Yes, I agree entirely. I've a lot of affection for Preston and it seems bizarre to find it on that list.

Anyway, seems we all more-or-less agree on Newport at least :)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It is ugly yes, and pretty awful as a railway station too, but its likely not even the ugliest building in Newport, let alone Wales, the UK or indeed the world!

bramling

Veteran Member
A report has placed Newport Station as the 3rd ugliest building in the world, while I wouldn't go that far I do think it isn't a great design. Link to the report below.

I would agree with the views expressed on this thread. It’s ugly, and on top of that doesn’t function well in a number of respects. Likewise Newport isn’t a nice place, and seems to be full of a disproportionately high number of very rude inhabitants (IME).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I would agree with the views expressed on this thread. It’s ugly, and on top of that doesn’t function well in a number of respects. Likewise Newport isn’t a nice place, and seems to be full of a disproportionately high number of very rude inhabitants (IME).
I don't think you can link that specifically to Newport. I've noticed that in just about every part of South Wales I've been to, particularly around the Valleys. Bargoed in particular has somewhat of a reputation.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't think you can link that specifically to Newport. I've noticed that in just about every part of South Wales I've been to.

Not really been my experience to be fair. Whilst it’s probably fair to say that south Wales as a whole is grittier than mid and north Wales, I find Newport and the immediate surrounding area really stands out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not really been my experience to be fair. Whilst it’s probably fair to say that south Wales as a whole is grittier than mid and north Wales, I find Newport and the immediate surrounding area really stands out.

Agreed. I really quite like Cardiff and Swansea, but Newport does just stand out as not particularly nice, and as you say unlike many not-very-nice places where you do get nice people making the best out if it it didn't really have that feel either.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'd go as far as to say the Cardiff University Law Building deserves to be on that list more than the Newport station. I'm lucky to have a beautiful, modern building made of glass and conveniently located next to the BBC (perfect for my course), but the Law building looks a bit like a prison.

Agreed. I really quite like Cardiff and Swansea, but Newport does just stand out as not particularly nice, and as you say unlike many not-very-nice places where you do get nice people making the best out if it it didn't really have that feel either.
Not much experience of Swansea, but I've been somewhat shocked by the abrasiveness of many attitudes (mainly talking about customer service here) compared to at home in Surrey, for example - in the last week, I have experienced somewhat rude customer service in the post office, opticians, a clothing store and at the doctors.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd go as far as to say the Cardiff University Law Building deserves to be on that list more than the Newport station. I'm lucky to have a beautiful, modern building made of glass and conveniently located next to the BBC (perfect for my course), but the Law building looks a bit like a prison.

Not much experience of Swansea, but I've been somewhat shocked by the abrasiveness of many attitudes (mainly talking about customer service here) compared to at home in Surrey, for example - in the last week, I have experienced somewhat rude customer service in the post office, opticians, a clothing store and at the doctors.

Can’t say this has really been my experience of Wales. Whilst some people can be “to the point”, generally I find pretty much all of Wales is very good with stuff like please, thank you, referring to people as “the gentleman”, et cetera. I’d certainly include Swansea in this, and even places like the Cardiff valleys to at least some extent. My experience is Newport area conspicuously contrasts sharply with this.

Generally I find Wales a dream to visit compared to parts of England. Having said that, Llanberis can be interesting at times, but there’s specific reasons for that.

Baz37

When I posted this thread about Newport Station I didn't expect it to be an excuse to slag off the whole city, I haven't visited Newport for quite a few years so can't really say what its like now but like any city it has good and bad areas.
Can we keep comments on topic I.e. the Station.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When I posted this thread about Newport Station I didn't expect it to be an excuse to slag off the whole city, I haven't visited Newport for quite a few years so can't really say what its like now but like any city it has good and bad areas.
Can we keep comments on topic I.e. the Station.
It is on topic, as we're comparing the building described as "ugly" to other buildings we consider ugly, and it's simply that many of us consider Newport to be a city of predominantly "ugly" buildings :lol:

Baz37

It is on topic, as we're comparing the building described as "ugly" to other buildings we consider ugly, and it's simply that many of us consider Newport to be a city of predominantly "ugly" buildings :lol:
Now your just talking crap

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As the resident (but maybe not the only one, I think?) Newportonian on this forum, I think that the whole story has been blown up out of all proportion.

Firstly, I find it amazing that the poll covers the whole of the world .... Wales maybe, Britain possibly, but the whole of the world .... never! I also find it amazing that I never get asked for my views on things like this - or, for that matter, anything - and I know very very few people who have been asked; you may be the same.

Having said all of that, however, there's no doubt that it is a pretty ugly building, and completely out of context with the old station building. It was built (too quickly, I think) for the Ryder Cup in 2010 and was seen to be the gateway to Newport for the thousands of people who were going to go to the golf. Sadly, as the venue for the golf is some five or six miles out of the city, a lot of the visitors didn't actually visit or stay in the city, going direct to and from the course. Friends of mine acted as welcomers at the station, and weren't very busy at all.

My feelings when it opened were that it was too expensive (around £22 million, I think, although this did include other works elsewhere) and would be good when it was finished. I actually wrote a traveller's eye report on it (I was using it every day at that time) and sent it to various bodies, most of whom either ignored it or gave me very bland replies.

My report covered what I thought were the main points about the facilities as follows:
The entrance isn't really big enough, especially since they extended the front of the ticket office into the circulation area. It's quite often full and people have to wait outside, which isn't good, especially in the rain.
People have criticised the lifts, but I don't really have a problem with them - at least they work most of the time. Given the space that's available, they couldn't really have been much bigger anyway.
The main problem is the entrances to the platforms, where the designers have completely ignored the need to provide cover for the people walking from the lifts to platforms one, two and three (platform four isn't too bad, but even there there's a small gap where it's easy to get wet). You are out in the open until you get to the existing cover, so why that wasn't extended to the lifts or the stairs I have no idea.
The rain has, though, been a constant problem from the very start. The bridge to the platforms has always leaked and quite often badly in some places. They're working on part of it now, but I don't have much faith in them finding a cure.

One of the problems with the new station building is that I don't really think that it was necessary to build it at all. The old building, built by the GWR in the 1930s, was perfectly able to cope with the volume of traffic. Yes, it needed some work done to it, but that wouldn't have cost anywhere near as much as the new station did. The new station building has also had the effect of moving the entrance to the station further away from the main areas of the city, and I'm sure that was not a good thing for travellers.

Anyway, that's my view; if anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know.

Parallel

Established Member
I think the new Newport footbridge and concourses are ugly, but probably not the top three ugliest buildings in the world. That shopping complex in Edinburgh which resembles a certain brown emoji is arguably worse! The new footbridge etc at Newport also look like the female reproductive system - was this intentional?

The main issue with Newport is the station has poor quality ‘newer’ facilities alongside run down old ones. The station has been a building site for the best part of 10 years yet nothing ever seems to improve? The new part leaks like a sieve, as does the canopy on the old part. The facilities on platforms 2 & 3 are now at the wrong end of the platform - they really need a glass waiting room akin to what Swindon has on platforms 2 & 3 towards the Cardiff end of the platform.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Firstly, I find it amazing that the poll covers the whole of the world .... Wales maybe, Britain possibly, but the whole of the world .... never! I also find it amazing that I never get asked for my views on things like this - or, for that matter, anything - and I know very very few people who have been asked; you may be the same.
This "survey", rather than directly polling people, used AI analysis of tweets made about the buildings.

rcro

In defence of Newport (city), every Cardiffian I've dragged there has been amazed just how nice much of it is. Residential areas not far from the city centre are at least equivalent to the more highly regarded parts of Cardiff; there is lots of parkland and woodland, and despite the better opinions of everyone else, it's much quieter with less traffic than Cardiff. Generally, the most vocal people regarding Newport being a "dump" are those that have spent very little or no time there. Though the city centre itself does have major problems - it's the same problems as every other town in South Wales bar Cardiff.

The station can't really be described as ugly as it's not really visible from any direction. The office box on top of the old station building is more unsightly. That said, there is lots of general bad design - staircases separated with a central dividor, but every 12 steps the staircase offsets by 6ft so you just walk in a straight line swapping left-right-left and half the staircase doesn't get used, multiple sets of wide automatic doors that immediately converge on a single ticket gate, lack of canopies at Cardiff end of platforms where the trains actually stop, and of course a roof that isn't waterproof. So whilst not "ugly" I would say it is "bad".

Most rankings for "worst in the world" are quickly disproved as clickbait. Back in 2007 or so a US study determined the 20 "most dangerous roads in the world". 8th worst... the A44 between Worcester and Leominster. Used that road every day back then and honestly still can't believe the Bolivians beat us!

fgwrich

Established Member
Unsurprisingly for a Grimshaws design (see Reading station - another Grimshaws product littered with similar issues), it often leaks as well. I've never understood their logic of moving the main concourse to one end of the station, nor to create such a snail (and that's a politer) shaped design!

stephens

I think Preston station is quite an attractive building - quite grand in places.
Agree Preston Railway station is attractive, although it now has a brand new entrance which is a concrete carbuncle.
However Preston Bus station is a truely hideous building. Dating from 1969 it has been voted the ugliest building in the UK (first place, not third)

Status
Not open for further replies.