• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

is reserving a seat on a short trip silly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed990

I need to make a trip and the first part involves a cross country slow train. The trip should take about 10 minutes on the cross country, and I noticed 'seat reservations are possible'

Should I reserve a seat because I can? I prefer a table seat but if all the table seats are taken, would it be silly to ask someone to move out of your reservation? And would the guard even make them if they refused?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Personally I think it is silly on such a short trip, but if you can then it's your decision

highspeed990

I guess so. But sometimes I get a bit uneasy when travelling, so it helps for me to have a spacious forward facing table window seat, but obviously to anyone else it would seem silly.

gazthomas

Established Member
I guess so. But sometimes I get a bit uneasy when travelling, so it helps for me to have a spacious forward facing table window seat, but obviously to anyone else it would seem silly.
On that basis then it is reasonable

alxndr

Established Member
I personally wouldn't usually bother, but there's no reason why you shouldn't reserve a seat if you would prefer to do so.
There have been times where I reserved seats when I wouldn't usually bother, for example, when I was travelling home from surgery so that I could make sure I had somewhere to sit.

Bayum

Established Member
I would, because I find it so difficult to stand and move for long periods. If I've walked to the station, need to stand on the train, and then walk out of the station and to my destination, I'd be wanting a seat, yes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wouldn't as I don't mind standing for 10 minutes, but see no reason why you should not if you want to. And if you have reserved it and the reservations have been marked you have every right to chuck someone out of it (verbally :) ).

highspeed990

The train is not likely to be packed, however it is possible for all the table seats to be taken. In this case I might look strange asking someone to move, and the guard may not take the reservation seriously.

xotGD

Established Member
I saw a reservation ticket on TPE today: Manchester Oxford Road - Manchester Piccadilly.

Darandio

Established Member
I saw a reservation ticket on TPE today: Manchester Oxford Road - Manchester Piccadilly.

Me: Hi, you are sitting in my seat, I have it reserved.
Them: Sorry sir, i'll just get my things together and move.
Me: It's okay, i'm getting off now.

highspeed990

Really? We'll if such things are normal, I might use that text app and reserve a seat during all my travels :)

highspeed990

Darandio that would very literally be true on a reservation between City Thameslink and London Blackfriars :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
what do you mean bletcheyite?

What I meant was that if you book online for a journey like:

Manchester Oxford Rd-Manchester Pic
Manchester Pic-London Euston

or somesuch, you can't say "I want a reservation for leg 2 but not for leg 1", it's either all or nothing.

10 minutes is long enough not to be silly. MCO-MAN is about a minute by the time you've sat down.

highspeed990

Bletchleyite how do you do the quote text bubble thing? I clicked quote but there's no option for me to put it in my comment?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bletchleyite how do you do the quote text bubble thing? I clicked quote but there's no option for me to put it in my comment?

Oh I see what you're doing now. Click the <<Reply button and it does it. The quote button is multiquote, you get an insert quotes button to use the ones you copied.

xfield

For most it might be "silly" but some may have trouble standing due to a disability or injury, and would need the seat even for a short while - and it'll be easier to have a reserved seat perhaps than ask someone to move from the accessible seats closest the door (they can't be reserved can they?).

Kite159

Veteran Member

Problem with XC is that you can't select the direction of travel due to the frequent reversals the units make

6Gman

Established Member

I've seen an ATW Guard busily putting cards to exactly that effect on a 175 at Llandudno!

Kite159

Veteran Member
That's beaten mine (on XC): Birmingham New Street - University :lol:

Like the Piccadilly - Oxford Road reservations, makes sense if someone is travelling from further afield to University as the system is 'All or Nothing'.

And depending on the ticket held, 10p that person who had the seat reserved on XC probably didn't use it (rather jumping on the first available crosscity train to University to avoid waiting around).

I wouldn't be surprised if there is there has been some random "Fratton - Portsmouth Harbour" reservations for the GWR 158s when someone is travelling from one of the local stations between Southampton & Fareham, changing to the next Portsmouth Harbour service behind the stopper

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem with those, of course, is that they prevent a "sensible" reservation being made by blocking a seat. Perhaps there should be a minimum distance/journey time for reservations being issued online? (A ticket office would see it was silly and not bother anyway unless the passenger specifically asked for it for some reason).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
For most it might be "silly" but some may have trouble standing due to a disability or injury, and would need the seat even for a short while - and it'll be easier to have a reserved seat perhaps than ask someone to move from the accessible seats closest the door (they can't be reserved can they?).

And oldish couple boarded the Victoria Line at Euston today. Ran in a 'wobbly' manner. for the train and even force held the doors open as they were vlosing. Guy had a walking stick.

Then walked carefully down the carriage to find and sit in the priority seats (lots of other seats free)

Sat down for 25 seconds.

Then stood up and got off at Warren Street.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's unusual. My experience is that people for whom priority seats are intended actually don't like them, because regular seats are easier to hold onto the seat in front to sit down because the pitch is tighter.

I sit in a priority seat on almost every journey (for legroom) and have never, ever had to give one up.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I need to make a trip and the first part involves a cross country slow train. The trip should take about 10 minutes on the cross country, and I noticed 'seat reservations are possible'

Should I reserve a seat because I can? I prefer a table seat but if all the table seats are taken, would it be silly to ask someone to move out of your reservation? And would the guard even make them if they refused?

If you have taken the time to reserve a seat then you deserve that seat regardless of the duration. (I frequently reserve between Reading and Basingstoke).

No it isn't silly to ask someone to move out of your seat! They haven't bothered to reserve - you have, therefore you deserve the seat, not them. Although maybe if an elderly person is sitting there, I'd just look for an other seat instead...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

No definitely not silly to me. I always have to face forward or I get nauseous.

IanD

Established Member
That's unusual. My experience is that people for whom priority seats are intended actually don't like them, because regular seats are easier to hold onto the seat in front to sit down because the pitch is tighter.

I sit in a priority seat on almost every journey (for legroom) and have never, ever had to give one up.

On the Victoria line?

Status
Not open for further replies.