• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there any point in buying a London International (CIV) ticket?

freddie1729

From reading this forum over the years, it appears that the CIV ticket doesn't technically give you any protection when your train is delayed and you miss your connection. Is there any reason why you would buy one? I thought the international ticket wouldn't have peak restrictions but it appears that it does.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trei2k

There are multiple variants around.

For example, Glasgow Central to London International (LNE) gives a Euro standard single (EOS) which has no time restrictions and a Euro High Saver Single (EVS) that has morning peak restrictions going into London.

Brighton to LNE has no restrictions on the single.

I can't comment on the CIV rights, I think there have been a number of prior discussions about this.

M28361M

The peak restrictions can sometimes be more generous than the normal tickets although I think this depends on which TOC sets the fare.

For example, from Liverpool to London International the Euro High Saver permits arriving into Euston from 0940, while the earliest you can arrive on a regular Off Peak to London Terminals is 1130. In the other direction, there are no evening peak restrictions leaving London.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The tickets also give you 2 months on your return. At least the one I purchased from Guildford to London Waterloo did.

Birkonian

There may not be cast iron, legal protection but I'd feel happier arguing my case with a CIV ticket. Available online through Avanti.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you were arriving at London with some kind of International rail product then I believe some TOCs would discriminate and grant onward travel by their next service to International ticket holders but not someone with a ticket from London Terminals or the named station. May not be massively relevant to you if you're arriving in the morning and using a flexible ticket, or the ticket is automatically valid the following day anyway.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Within the UK, there's no difference whether you buy a CIV or normal ticket in terms of protection for delays coming from Europe.

Eurostar are generally pretty relaxed in regards to reorganising you onto later services if needed from what I've read in the past. The main thing they recommend is getting some evidence of the delay from a member of staff (for paper tickets this could possibly be an endorsement on the ticket, for example).

Q: Can a passenger travel on any trains other than the one on which they are reserved, without changing the booking?

A: In certain cases, yes but the following principles must apply:
[...]
Once the journey has begun. If the passenger is delayed and the rail industry or its partners (as shown below) is at fault, which should be checked with your Control Office, change to another train of the same company is allowed to get them to their destination with the least delay.

This is irrespective of combinations of rail tickets held. Examples are:

[...]
- Combination of Eurostar tickets into the UK and then either advance purchase tickets from London Terminals or “London Intl CIV” or “London Eurostar CIV”.

Whether staff are aware of this or not, who knows, but it's on the internal knowledgebase!

The main benefits are extended validity for tickets to London Intl., relaxed restrictions, etc.