• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there any way to see what trains have really long stops in a certain place (8 minutes or more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainhexitx

Just generally asking so I know if trains do stop and if theres any way to actually see when a train stops for ages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ASharpe

Real time trains will give you the scheduled arrival and departure as well as the real arrival and departure times.

Such as this planned 10 minute wait an Manchester Victoria today that still didn't provide enough recovery time.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Just generally asking so I know if trains do stop and if theres any way to actually see when a train stops for ages.
I'm not aware of any tools that look through schedules and collect the long waits, but as mentioned above RTT can be used to find them for specific journeys.

Purple Train

Established Member
Real time trains will give you the scheduled arrival and departure as well as the real arrival and departure times.

Such as this planned 10 minute wait an Manchester Victoria today that still didn't provide enough recovery time.

Plus six minutes at Bank Quay!

I remember waiting for the service an hour before this to arrive at Chester. Checked on the way to the station and it was 14 minutes late at Manchester. Imagine my surprise to see it gently coasting into the platform five minutes late!

Undiscovered

The Avantis to Euston have reasonable dwells at both Wolverhampton and Birmingham New Street.

SteveM70

Established Member
There’s been a thread on this relatively recently but I can’t find it. I think we got to the stage where the down Night Riviera had the longest dwell, at Taunton

SargeNpton

Established Member
There’s been a thread on this relatively recently but I can’t find it. I think we got to the stage where the down Night Riviera had the longest dwell, at Taunton
The GWR Sleeper gets held regularly at Taunton or at Exeter St Davids for 60 minutes or more, awaiting the end of overnight engineering blocks.

Some LNWR Euston-Birmingham services have extended stops at Northampton of up to 15 minutes.

Avanti Euston-Scotland services via the West Midlands also wait an age at Birmingham New Street.

ah-media

Certainly on a Sunday, there is a considerable dwell on the Euston to Crewe LNWR services at Northampton (1UXX) - I think it's over 10 minutes.

Some guy

The GWR Sleeper gets held regularly at Taunton or at Exeter St Davids for 60 minutes or more, awaiting the end of overnight engineering blocks.

Some LNWR Euston-Birmingham services have extended stops at Northampton of up to 15 minutes.

Avanti Euston-Scotland services via the West Midlands also wait an age at Birmingham New Street.
That’s only due to the Euston-Birmingham-Scotlands are running in the xx:16 path instead of the xx:40 path due to not being all day 3tph Avanti services to Birmingham. When it’s back to normal it will be 10 minutes dwell time

Haywain

Veteran Member
LNER services between London and Inverness/Aberdeen have some longish dwell times at Edinburgh, some of which are in double figures.

Undiscovered

A number these are to allow for coupling/uncoupling to take place, so each train has it's own slack built-in to the timetable, as well as time for the process. Crew changes also happen here, so again, time is factored in for this as well.
It also occurs on the Birmingham to Eustons too.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
That’s only due to the Euston-Birmingham-Scotlands are running in the xx:16 path instead of the xx:40 path due to not being all day 3tph Avanti services to Birmingham. When it’s back to normal it will be 10 minutes dwell time
(my bold)

Does anyone know if it is definitely the intention for Aventi to revert to 3 tph? Off topic, sorry, but when the Avanti frequency was reduced LNw introduced a very clock face service New St - Northampton - Euston, trains exactly half an hour apart replacing the previous short gap/long gap headways. I wonder whether it was it just a coincidence that both changes happened around the same time - so the unused Avanti schedules are still available - or whether the much better Law service will be lost when Avanti reverts to 3.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
(my bold)

Does anyone know if it is definitely the intention for Aventi to revert to 3 tph? Off topic, sorry, but when the Avanti frequency was reduced LNw introduced a very clock face service New St - Northampton - Euston, trains exactly half an hour apart replacing the previous short gap/long gap headways. I wonder whether it was it just a coincidence that both changes happened around the same time - so the unused Avanti schedules are still available - or whether the much better Law service will be lost when Avanti reverts to 3.

Yes, 3, but on a "two clockface half hourly fasts and one slow" basis, not three evenly spaced as it was.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Yes, 3, but on a "two clockface half hourly fasts and one slow" basis, not three evenly spaced as it was.
Thanks.

A number these are to allow for coupling/uncoupling to take place, so each train has it's own slack built-in to the timetable, as well as time for the process. Crew changes also happen here, so again, time is factored in for this as well.
It also occurs on the Birmingham to Eustons too.

There's also some other considerations.

Each half hour, both up and down services between Euston and Northampton cross between the fast and slow lines at Ledburn simultaneously to minimise blocking the Up Fast so this is a timetable constraint on that section. Similarly, on the Northampton - New St section there's constraints caused by Avanti Rugby - Birmingham and Cross Country from Coventry which of course have priority.

In effect, just as the Avanti Scotland via W Midlands service's timetable is based on linking two services (Euston - Wolverhampton and B'gham - Scotland) the LNw service New St to Euston is two services from Northampton (in each direction) with trains working through.

Interestingly, in the masterplan for post HS2 there is something about the service being split at Northampton again and the two sections given to different operators - presumably to prevent anyone avoiding HS2 (and its fares) by going on a through, much cheaper, train via Northampton.

Last edited:

trainhexitx

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was going to ask when trains always have a stop somewhere like every time the train stops for a specific amount of time before it continues like I see on the SWR lines the trains stop for a period of time somewhere around 5 - 8 minutes everytime and then carries on with it’a route. So I was asking if there’s a possibility to find out where these trains stop in the middle of the tracks so I could get some shots instead of at the station.

Haywain

Veteran Member
on the SWR lines the trains stop for a period of time somewhere around 5 - 8 minutes everytime and then carries on with it’a route.
To help us to understand the question, where is this 'somewhere'?

Some guy

A few barrow and Windermere services have long dwells at Preston some can be up to 15 minutes but a lot have been improved since routing via Chorley

D6975

Established Member
The main reason for the long dwell at Exeter is to allow extra time for when it runs via Yeovil and the Mule to get to Exeter.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 1222 departure from Glasgow Queen Street for Oban / Mallaig has a 12 minute stop / dwell time at Crianlarich, then a 10 minute stop / dwell time (and reversal) at Fort William for the portion that works through to Mallaig.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think the OP means a stop not at a station.
Possibly, although, the thread title does refer to "...long stops in a certain place (8 minutes or more)...", perhaps the OP could possibly amend same to reflect "...long stops a certain place other than a station (8 minutes or more)..."

trainhexitx

Possibly, although, the thread title does refer to "...long stops in a certain place (8 minutes or more)...", perhaps the OP could possibly amend same to reflect "...long stops a certain place other than a station (8 minutes or more)..."
Yes that is what I meant my bad. :s

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Fair enough. Here's one for you. The 1429 (SuX) Manchester Airport->Windermere (Northern) service will routinely be stood at Oxenholme Signal Ce45 (just outside the station), for pathing reasons, for over 20 minutes, waiting for another train to leave the Oxenholme-Windermere branch line.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Do you know any near london or slightly outside of it?
Trains on the WLL used to stop at Mitre Bridge for a minute or two to change between third rail and pantograph, but that might no longer be true with modern trains that can changeover while moving.

Veteran Member
Do you know any near london or slightly outside of it?
Apart from any on SWR you know of, Freight services are quite likely to have stops for pathing where they are not blocking a major route.
For example, the section between Longhedge and Latchmere Junctions (near Battersea Park) or the freight line bypassing Willesden Junction Station to/from the North London Line might be options. BUT you might waste a lot of time if they run early/late or are cancelled.

josh-j

Fair enough. Here's one for you. The 1429 (SuX) Manchester Airport->Windermere (Northern) service will routinely be stood at Oxenholme Signal Ce45 (just outside the station), for pathing reasons, for over 20 minutes, waiting for another train to leave the Oxenholme-Windermere branch line.
That's quite something! What does the guard say to passengers I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.