• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this allowed (delay repay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomp94

My train was 35 minutes late. I missed my connection as a result.

However, I did not board the late train as it was absolutely rammed and I had luggage.
I then boarded the following service which was on time, but an hour ish after the train I'd originally intended to board. I then had a short wait to catch the connection

I submitted a delay repay of 60+ minutes, but have only been awarded compensation based on 30 to 59 minutes.

Should I contest this or is there not much point?

Thank you

Edit:

Original intended Journey
Salisbury to Southampton d 15.32 a 16.02
Southampton to Worthing d 1628 a 17.55

Actual:
Salisbury to Southampton d 16.32 a 17.02
Southampton to Worthing d 17.28 a 18.55

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We would need to have more detail of the exact timings, dates, stations and trains involved to definitively say whether or not the award of 30-59 minutes in compensation is correct. However, in principle, if you couldn’t board a train because there was no space for your luggage (despite only holding as much luggage as the NRCoT allow), then I would have said your delay has to be calculated based on the first train you were able to catch.

Veteran Member
My train was 35 minutes late. I missed my connection as a result.

However, I did not board the late train as it was absolutely rammed and I had luggage.
I then boarded the following service which was on time, but an hour ish after the train I'd originally intended to board. I then had a short wait to catch the connection

I submitted a delay repay of 60+ minutes, but have only been awarded compensation based on 30 to 59 minutes.

Should I contest this or is there not much point?

Thank you
What was the actual delay arriving at your destination? If you had boarded the delayed train, would your delay have been less?

Did you state that you were unable to board the delayed train?

It would help if you could give the start and finish times (timetable and actual) and the stations involved.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd agree that if you physically couldn't board with your luggage then it would be the later train, but if it was just crowded and you chose not to board then the earlier one. Unless a disability would require you to be able to sit.

It's often done automatically so just appeal it stating you could not board (if that is true).

Tomp94

We would need to have more detail of the exact timings, dates, stations and trains involved to definitively say whether or not the award of 30-59 minutes in compensation is correct. However, in principle, if you couldn’t board a train because there was no space for your luggage (despite only holding as much luggage as the NRCoT allow), then I would have said your delay has to be calculated based on the first train you were able to catch.

Actual:

This was Thursday 24/8

It wasn't just no space for Luggage, it was there was no space for anyone else to board! I have seen someone on Twitter complaining about that exact service, he was complaining that he was having to stand in the toilet and sent GWR a picture!

Haywain

Veteran Member
As you connected into the same train that you would have done, it really shouldn't matter that you waited. However, it appears that the train into Worthing arrived at 18:54, so the delay was 59 minutes. I'm not saying it shouldn't be considered to be an hour but that's what the (RTT) facts say.

Mainline421

Actual:

This was Thursday 24/8

It wasn't just no space for Luggage, it was there was no space for anyone else to board! I have seen someone on Twitter complaining about that exact service, he was complaining that he was having to stand in the toilet and sent GWR a picture!
If this is the train https://twitter.com/ATOnRadio/status/1694719073593307173?t=M1Il-yvAD66xYljUvLaIkw&s=19 then no Delay Repay would not apply.

It would apply if there was actually physically no space on the entire train, or if it got the point staff were asking people not to board or doors were struggling to close, but it's nowhere near either of those.

Edit: for comparison here is the same model of train with many more passengers https://twitter.com/LangleyNo1son/status/1065534139942793216?t=-dDJ_ngUExytfh0l2aiQ5Q&s=19

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Actual:

This was Thursday 24/8

Unfortunately it appears they are technically correct to award only 30-59 mins, though perhaps for a different reason than you (or they) had in mind. In industry systems, the 17:28 from Southampton is shown as having arrived at Worthing at 18:53¾ on the 24th - i.e. 58¾ minutes later than your scheduled arrival time.

Of course, that’s just derived using data from the signalling system (i.e. the time the train passed the preceding signal, plus the average time for trains to arrive at the platform after passing that signal), so it doesn’t necessarily reflect the exact timings of what happened on the day - the driver may have driven more cautiously than average, and may have taken a while to release the doors upon arrival. But it seems unlikely that this would have resulted in the doors being released as late as 18:55.

Clearly it’s somewhat unfair to only be paid Delay Repay for a 30-59 minute delay when for all practical intents and purposes you were delayed by an hour. You could appeal and ask for a goodwill gesture but there is obviously no guarantee that this would be granted.

If you were physically unable to board the train with your luggage, this is absolutely grounds for missing a service and claiming Delay Repay based on the next one you can board. There is actually an option on most Delay Repay forms for “could not board due to overcrowding” or similar.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you were physically unable to board the train with your luggage, this is absolutely grounds for missing a service and claiming Delay Repay based on the next one you can board. There is actually an option on most Delay Repay forms for “could not board due to overcrowding” or similar.
Although it's not worth making a fuss about this as it doesn't have any impact on the final arrival time at Worthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.