• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you Cowley for the photo's, I think I may have seen you actually by the looks of where you were to take that photo. Were you a bloke in an Exeter City shirt? If not you must have been near him. I'm glad it's not just me that had problems with the birds of Dartmouth! Ah, that explains why I've never seen any carriages like those before. Agreed on Paignton.

It was, thanks Kite.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you Cowley for the photo's, I think I may have seen you actually by the looks of where you were to take that photo. Were you a bloke in an Exeter City shirt? If not you must have been near him. I'm glad it's not just me that had problems with the birds of Dartmouth! Ah, that explains why I've never seen any carriages like those before. Agreed on Paignton.

It was, thanks Kite.

Not me with the City shirt on. I was standing halfway between the level crossing and the brewery I think. I got a nice clip of them leaving which bought back lots of memories.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather long but splendid day out there. I've never done Dartmouth, Kingswear yes and I believe I had the same steam loco as you did. I need to dig out last year's moves book to find out, but it's GWR steam which is the best in my opinion. My first steam loco in my enthusiast career was 7802 Bradley Manor in 2004, absolutely wonderful machine!

Congratulations on winning against Seagulls United, not an easy feat!

Iskra

Established Member
So it's NYE, but I have work tomorrow at 0800 so I'm confined to my house, time for a trip report...

The Trans-Pennine Deltic Reprise- 30/12/17

This was a tour operated by Pathfinder, with a remarkably convenient pick-up point in Sheffield, so it was too good an opportunity to miss. I awoke at 0600 and it was a short drive to Chapeltown (S Yorks) station. I'd made better time than expected so was able to aim for the 0712 to Sheffield that had originated from Huddersfield. It was a chilly morning with the remnants of the previous days snow still around, with a bit of ice thrown in for added early-morning danger. I tried to get a ticket out of the new TVM, but it was very confused. For some reason, the TVM thought we were in Liverpool and would only offer tickets to popular stations in the Liverpool area. Whenever I tried typing in Sheffield into the search box, it threw up an error message, so I gave up, took a photo of the error message by way of insurance and reassuringly watched a lot of other people have the same trouble. It was busy this morning, lots of young lads (I'm getting old I think) with carrier bags containing cans of booze heading to watch the football. Interestingly both sets of Sheffield fans were present, both heading to different places. The train dropped a bit of time en route and then arrived very cautiously on the slippery rails. We were treated to a 142 today for the 18 minute journey, it was a surprisingly busy service but the guard just got to me as we pulled in to Meadowhall, and he said he knew about the broken TVM and happily sold me a ticket.

Sheffield station was quiet and very cold, I had about 40 minutes to kill, so bought a coffee and sat in a cold open coffee shop- there is nowhere warm to wait at Sheffield station on the main concourse. When M&S opened at 0800 I did a supply raid using a christmas gift card, then returned to my seat to people-watch. People at big train stations are very interesting. Shortly later, the obligatory Sheffield station beggar asked me for some change, however I genuinely needed to hang onto it today 'just in case.' I can't help but feel that many people must be intimidated by the constant begging at Sheffield station- it happens on almost every visit, if the powers that be are reading, please do something about it. There wasn't much industrial action taking place today, there being a strike on XC services and EMT services being reduced by engineering work, however that meant a constant stream of announcements.

I wondered over to platform 5 to board the days charter, with a Manchester Airport service timed 10 minutes behind I played a short game mentally which involved identifying who would boarding which of the two services. It was quite an easy game, but it killed the time nicely. After a short while winner 68031 appeared leading a uniform rake of smart-looking Blue-Grey MK2's. I was starting the day facing rearwards at my bay of 4, but this was to my advantage as I'd be spending most of the day travelling forwards. We had a slow run Northwards via Rotherham central, passing behind Meadowhall which is unusual for me. Just after Rotherham we passed the infamous Booths scrapyard, where there is genuinely what looks like a pile of pieces of Eurostar displayed proudly. As we progressed towards Swinton (South Yorkshire) I was able to see the snowy pennine hills before we became enshrouded in cloud. At Swinton a bloke got off, having only got on at Shefield to get 68031. A DRS driver travelling pass seemed incredulous about this and informed him he could get 10,000 miles behind it next year on the forthcoming TPE services. 10/10 for dedication to that bloke though. At Swinton, it felt like the entire population of Swinton boarded and trudged through our carriage to find their seats, bringing a cold draught with them. Shortly afterwards we were onto winning track for quite a fast run back into the 1980's which were duly reached at Pontefract Baghill, the underdog of Pontefract stations having only 4 daily services. The new track ended along with our fast running at Church Fenton. Church Fenton is of interest as it is where I learnt to fly (aeroplanes, not using my arms) at the eponymous former RAF base. On the way into York I took the opportunity to photo our main traction for the day which was sat purring away waiting for us:

doneae.jpg

D9009/55009 Alycidon

We pulled into P 10 at York, which gave me an opportunity to photo 68031 as everyone was down the other end.

3038yf4.jpg

2wnb4pk.jpg

As the headboards allude, we were celebrating the anniversary of the withdrawal of Delitcs in 1981, by recreating a service that ran that day. I have a horrendous confession to make here. This was the first time I've ever seen a Deltic under power- hence why I needed to do this tour. Meanwhile it is also the last weekend of GC HST operation, so I took a photo of one of those too.

2zdrgis.jpg

We subsequently headed off, destined for Liverpool Lime Street. It was a reasonably fast run to Leeds, passing a trio of EMT 08's visible at Neville Hill. At Leeds, we passed straight through platform 16. Non-stop through Leeds was a new one for me. We then headed for Morley tunnel, D9009 looking fantastic as we curved into Morley station. On exiting Morley tunnel we entered my homeland before flying through Batley and Dewsbury. We were looped at Mirfield, which seemed a strange decision as we were due to diverge towards Brighouse only moments later. We then crawled along the entire Calder Valley line, with many enthusiasts taking photos. It was then via Blackburn and St Helens Central to Liverpool Lime Street. Wigan-St Helens Central-Huyton being new track for me.

At Liverpool there was the option to either explore Liverpool for a couple of hours or stay on the train for a mini-tour with 68031 leading to turn the train. I opted for the mini-tour option which took us back to Ince Moss Jct then briefly down the WCML to Earlestown and Newton-le-Willows before returning to Liverpool Lime Street, where I had a quick leg stretch. On returning to the train I stood by a droplight a couple of coaches along from the Deltic, for the much anticipated highlight of the thrash along the cuttings leaving Liverpool. It did not disappoint! Wow! Loved it! There was now little to see with it being dark. We came to a stop just behind Salford Crescent, before powering through Manchester Victoria non-stop (another first for me). It was then a fast run until Diggle, where we were sent into the loop. However, the TPE service due to pass us was running around 30 late, so we entered the loop, then got a green at the end of it so carried on without stopping. Things were now interesting on the TPE core as we got a red at P8 at Huddersfield due to being 17 early, with us overhanging the platform and now having 3 TPE services hot on our heels. This meant a fast run to P9 at Leeds, arriving 28 early. One of the delayed TPE 185's to Newcastle overtook us at Leeds and another pulled-in, but we were let out in front of it. It was then another fast run until just before York, where we sat for ages so that we would be right time into York so as not to block a platform.

We then had 68031 back to Sheffield retracing our steps, we ended up a few minutes late, but oh well. Fortuitously, my stopper had also been delayed, but something strange was going on. It was a very unusual class 158 instead of a pacer, and also departing from P5 which is again unusual. However, the unit was sat with the doors locked and a confused looking crew. After a short while a 142 appeared and attached. The doors were unlocked- no prizes for guessing which unit I sat in- and we were on our way 18L but still finishing the day at a relatively civilised time.

So two new winners, including a new class for haulage, some new track and some much appreciated Deltic thrash, many thanks to Pathfinder tours for another great trip.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What an end to the year! I’d love to have savoured the noise through those cuttings. You can understand why Deltics have such a following, nothing sounds like that...
Happy New Year Iskra, thanks for posting this.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A nice end of the year for you, odd to see a pick up at Swinton getting used, can't be many tours which call there.

As for the part farers, I wouldn't be surprised if that gentlemen wasn't the only one doing a part fare on the 68 leg to get that loco into the book, some probably trying to do it as a freebie (although probably easier to do on a UKR tour as the Pathfinder stewards tend to pounce after every station)

Iskra

Established Member
The original pick up point was supposed to be at Doncaster, but Network Rail changed the route so Swinton was a late addition, not a very convenient station for a 12/13 coach train to pick up at due to the short platforms.

I think there were a few. Loads got on at Liverpool to do the mini-tour on a part-fare basis. Yes, the Pathfinder stewards are very organised.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The original pick up point was supposed to be at Doncaster, but Network Rail changed the route so Swinton was a late addition, not a very convenient station for a 12/13 coach train to pick up at due to the short platforms.

I think there were a few. Loads got on at Liverpool to do the mini-tour on a part-fare basis. Yes, the Pathfinder stewards are very organised.

They get confused when you change the station you are due to board, for example I was originally going to board the Christmas Brush at the very start at Westbury, but due to that HST tour on the Sunday meant a change of plan, and boarding at Banbury instead.

Established Member
Looks like a great tour.
My mates and I thought about it, but the cost proved prohibitive, especially at this time of year.
Glad it was a future TPE 68 that worked, though :)

Just a slight aside - the original "Trans-Pennine Deltic Lament" was actually a couple of service trains, the 09.45 Edinburgh - Liverpool (55009 from York) and the return 19.10 Liverpool - York.
These were the last Deltic hauled services over the Pennines and ran on Sunday the 27th of December 1981, a few days before the end.

Iskra

Established Member
They get confused when you change the station you are due to board, for example I was originally going to board the Christmas Brush at the very start at Westbury, but due to that HST tour on the Sunday meant a change of plan, and boarding at Banbury instead.

Yes, some of the staff were still expecting us to be picking up at Doncaster :D To be fair, it must be difficult with itinerary's that frequently change.

What a way to end a year! It's been many a year since I last had a Deltic, but they are impressive machines.

Indeed a great end of the year, yes they are absolute beasts. Could be my new favourite traction!

Looks like a great tour.
My mates and I thought about it, but the cost proved prohibitive, especially at this time of year.
Glad it was a future TPE 68 that worked, though :)

Just a slight aside - the original "Trans-Pennine Deltic Lament" was actually a couple of service trains, the 09.45 Edinburgh - Liverpool (55009 from York) and the return 19.10 Liverpool - York.
These were the last Deltic hauled services over the Pennines and ran on Sunday the 27th of December 1981, a few days before the end.

Yes railtours do seem to be getting expensive, I think I'll be doing less now a millennial railcard is getting introduced. Thanks for the info.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think I'll be doing less now a millennial railcard is getting introduced. Thanks for the info.

Assuming it gets past the trial phase ;)

Agreed about the cost of railtours increasing, not just taking into account the cost of the ticket, taking into account the cost of getting to/from the tour [i.e. fuel/parking if a pick-up/set-down station is reasonably local, train fares or overnight accommodation, food & drink].

Iskra

Established Member
Assuming it gets past the trial phase ;)

Agreed about the cost of railtours increasing, not just taking into account the cost of the ticket, taking into account the cost of getting to/from the tour [i.e. fuel/parking if a pick-up/set-down station is reasonably local, train fares or overnight accommodation, food & drink].

Don't say that! I thought it was definitely happening now?

Yes, getting to from the tour is often expensive, sometimes more so than the ticket price if an overnighter is required- that's what attracted me to this Deltic tour with it picking up in Sheffield.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I got bowled out by a tour this coming Saturday which was originally planned to finish at Banbury around 20:40, which for me was great as it gave me an hour and a bit window for delay before the final XC service back to Basingstoke, however the timings have been pushed back so going home the same night is no longer an option*

(*not without bailing out early and paying extra from Gloucester/Cheltenham) so instead I've got a cheap hostel in London booked and an advance on the final VT of the night from New Street [with a backup option of a couple late LNWR stopping services])

Iskra

Established Member
15/1-17/1

It's become a bit of a tradition that in January I have a couple of days away gallivanting around the country's railways, and I obviously didn't want to let the side down by letting this wonderful tradition slip, hence this trip.

It was a rare, ultra civilised start today, with my first train not until 1139. From Chapeltown (South Yorkshire), not to be confused with Chapelton in Devon, as that could cause a lot of problems. I found a parking spot near the station with ease, explaining my affection for this station. Once again the new TVM wasn't working.

1139 Chapeltown-Sheffield. Northern 142.

One day, Northern will provide a more worthy unit. A 142 was at least a bit of a surprise as it's normally 144's on this line. The guard got to me just before Meadowhall and in a hurried, confused exchange I ended up with a single, when I really needed a return, but it wasn't worth causing any fuss over, as he was itching to go do the doors for Meadowhall and it's not exactly the most expensive mistake in the world, so I've just about forgiven him now.

I killed time in the 1st class lounge at Sheffield, I was on a VTEC advance so wasn't technically valid in there but I was hoping to blag it with the lounge supervisor, however I didn't need to worry as the lounge was unstaffed for the duration of my stay. Sheffield station is a very cold place in winter, with limited in door waiting rooms. I'd been tracking the progress of next train for most of the morning, as a delay to this train could really mess things up, but it kept to time.

1247 Sheffield-York. XC 220. 1st

Not the most popular unit on these boards, but how else do you get from Sheffield to York quickly? Northern offer 4tpd and XC HST's are few and far between. I don't mind them when they're sparsely populated and they're fine in 1st class. XC might not have the best 1st class offering in the country, but it must be said that their hosts are always very attentive and usually give great service. I very quickly had my order taken and it was with me not long afterwards. I noticed Conisbrough Castle for the first time on this journey, like so many other castles it was built by a very industrious bloke called Norman. At Doncaster, there was a Colas 56, the NR 150 unit, some GWR MK3's and GA 321's in the work. I'm informed that the paint shop at Wabtec made a mistake recently, which involved putting the wrong numbers onto one of the refurbished 321's, so they had two units numbered the same in the works at one point, that would have caused some confusion if they were both out in the yard together among the spotting fraternity! We made good time and ended up waiting for quite a long time just South of York.

It was a very convenient same-platform interchange at York, but things were all messed-up on VTEC due to another bridge-strike (bloody luddites) in the Peterborough area. This created confusion when the announcer was saying the opposite to what the screens were saying. While I was waiting a 4th DRS 66 joined 3 others outside the new NR buildings, presumable due to the imminent snow that forecast. While stood on the platform an Apache helicopter gunship flew over the station, it was quite funny as all the blokes stepped forward for a better look, while the women of the platform stood still. Once a delayed Edinburgh service got out of the way, my train pulled in running about 10 minutes late.

20j0m14.jpg

43317 arriving into York

1354 York-Inverness. VTEC HST, 1st.

I'd chosen a great seat for the long journey up North. Window, middle of the coach, table of 4 to allow room for sprawling and facing forward. Perfection. I had one compatriot for the journey and I was intrigued to see his reservation was London-Inverness. There can't be many people who choose that journey by train. Food orders were quickly taken, I had a chilli chicken wrap which came in a box like VTWC do, it was okay and then a piece of banana/toffee cake which was pretty nice. An ever-pleasant Hop on Board ale to washed things down. We were fast through Durham, but it was nice to see the Cathedral is now a lot less encumbered with scaffolding than when I last passed through. It was a great run North of Newcastle in the January sun, I love this stretch of line. We stopped at Berwick-upon-Tweed which surprised me, the Southbound Chieftain doesn't call here and it's a strange place for a crack express that doesn't call anywhere south of York or at Durham, to call, interrupting our fast run. Speaking of interrupting our fast run, we dropped further time before Dunbar due to a level crossing failure that seemingly meant trains had to stop before crossing it, and it was being manned by blokes with flags. 86401, 73968 and 92033 were all spotted around the Edinburgh area. We pulled into Edinburgh late, but this service has 14 minutes of pathing time here, so I was expecting to leave back on time, but this wasn't to be as catering provisions had to be loaded. Due to our tardiness the guard was having to announce that people who had boarded expecting a London Euston service, should get off very quickly. The sun was setting as we pulled out of the station (the famous Waverley Sunset, obviously). Now deprived of the views, I read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the firs time.Once away, we suffered even more slow-running as we were behind a stopper until Stirling. Evening meal was served after Edinburgh, Ruby Chicken being my choice. It was pretty uninpiring to be honest, and I think VTEC need to go back to the drawing board with their 1st class offering. I'd rather it be chargeable but get something that's actually worth eating.

25ssh0l.jpg

VTEC Ruby Chicken

At Perth, again our pathing time didn't help us and we reached 28L as we travelled up the Highland Mainline into the snow, the train becoming emptier with every stop. Pound signs were lighting up in my eyes at the delay repay by this point. At Aviemore we suffered some incredible buffeting of the coaches due to wheelslip (ice on the line?), I've never experienced anything like it, but there was a lot of jarring and it was pretty uncomfortable on the back for a minute or so. Sadly at Aviemore, progress became a lot more rapid as a Scotrail unit was catching us up and we needed to be out of the way, so we ended up an annoying 26L at Inverness- no repay today.

At Inverness I took a quick photo of 67018 on the sleeper, expecting that to turn up for myself the next evening.

k9xs2u.jpg

It was then over the river towards a Premier Inn where I had secured a room for a mere £23, I called at an excellent chippy just around the corner on the way.

To be continued shortly.

Iskra

Established Member
16/1

I was up early for the main purpose of my visit. This was to cover the Far North Line, which was going to be more interesting as a snow-based apocalypse had been forecast.

I checked out and walked out of the hotel to find a small amount of white stuff on ground, and even more in the air. Being an Englander, this gave me a sudden desire to close all schools in the vicinity, despite not having the relevant authority.

2ujtjsh.jpg

Inverness Castle

I was on the 0700 off Inverness. Arriving about 17 minutes early, the barriers were closed and the platform not displayed, despite the unit sitting in the platform with 'Wick' on it. The management here, evidently think they're running London Euston in the evening peak rather than the deserted Inverness taking such unnecessary measures. I went to the Costa for a supply raid, just in case. Then I waited until the platform was announced and I simulated a one-man Euston style mad rush to the train, with absolutely nobody else around (this sentence may have been embellished for your entertainment).

0700 Inverness-Wick. Scotrail 158.

I think about 5 other passengers boarded in the end. This 158 was refurbished, so it didn't have the pseudo-first class section. I settled for a table of four which nobody joined for the entire duration of the journey. I like the Scotrail 158's, they seem to have more comfortable seats than their Northern 2-car cousins. As we departed urban Inverness, the snow became 'substantial' on Iskra's snow scale, which being an Englander gave me a sudden urge to head to the nearest supermarket and hoard 5 days worth of supplies. Unfortunately, this urge had to go unfulfilled as I was trapped on a 158 on an advance ticket to the end of the world, no break of journey being allowed. The train became quite busy up to Dingwall, but the conductor was unable to sell any tickets due to a broken machine. As we approached Invergordon we reached 'blizzard' on Iskra's snow scale, which had me sheltering under the table on the 158 listening to the BBC on the wireless to protect myself from the oncoming apocalypse. The snow didn't bother the driver at all and a coffee from the trolley returned me to my senses. On the approach to Invergordon there were oil rigs out in the estuary their top halves lit up, but their supporting superstructure in complete darkness making them look as if they were floating in mid air. Invergordon is famous for a rare British armed forces mutiny. The scenery is very impressive on this line, and it looked surreal all in the snow. Scotrail had gone to great lengths to keep the line functional today, even the request stops platforms had been cleared of the snow.

f41sv6.jpg

A scotrail snow clearing van

The line hugs the rugged coast up until Helmsdale, with snow flying past the windows, where it cuts inland to what can only be described as absolute wilderness- deer are more plentiful than sheep up here. In all honestly, it is absolute madness that this rail line even exists, it's economics must be dubious at best and it must have been horrendous to build. Amazingly a party of 5 boarded at Altnabreac. We reversed at Georgemas Junction station (the most over-served station in Britain?) to reach Thurso where the sun finally appeared. And then we reached Wick, which is quite an underwhelming end to a 4.5 hour journey. I was the only passenger to get off.

o7ultx.jpg

158725 at Wick

I went for a quick wander around Wick, mainly to prevent myself from getting Deep Vein Thrombosis. Wick today was a cold, grey, windswept place, with very little going on.

tasxz6.jpg

The view from the bridge at Wick.

1234 Wick-Inverness. Scotrail 158.

It was back onto 158725, I chose to sit in the other carriage for a bit of variety, but soon regretted my choice when it became apparent that the heating wasn't working in there, so I moved into the rear carriage which had about 4 other occupants. This train was lacking a trolley due to staffing issues, so it was a good job that I'd stocked up a packed lunch at the Costa in Inverness in the morning. The journey back, was as you'd expect very similar to the way up. With the snow the line was looking very colourless and 'black and white' so I think I'd like to travel it again in a more colourful season such as Spring or Autumn as I suspect it would give a very different impression.

At Inverness I went to the Kings Highway Wetherspoons for some cheap-ish tea- I recommend the Doombar Steak and Ale pie, and I had a couple of pints of Doobar with it, which I very much enjoy. After that it was over to the sleeper lounge, where I was greeted by a lovely host. I used the showers here, which are the best I've used on the rail network. I normally prefer a shower in the morning, but I took one just in case the sleeper was delayed into Euston. After that I just chilled out and enjoyed the snacks etc, charged my phone. 67018 had had ETH issues the previous night, so I'd struck sleeper gold again, as I did the previous year in getting a double-headed working. This time a pair of 73's, to my delight.

2niuo12.jpg

Double headed 73's at Inverness.

On approaching the steward to book-in, the steward didn't seem to have much faith in us actually getting to Euston, quizzing me about my onward plans in case of disruption. I was more confident than he was, knowing the sleeper has lots of padding time, there were rescue loco's around and it can run faster if needed to make up time, but it's not great when the staff don't think you'll reach your destination.

2045 Inverness-London Euston. Caledonian Sleeper LHCS 2x73 & 92. Solo Berth.

I took up a seat in the lounge with around 8 other occupants, where I had the customary cheeseboard and a couple of Avalanche real ales, which was all very good. Before going to my berth I went to listen to the 73/9's pull out of Kingussie. They sound like a cross between a HST and a 50, very enjoyable. I then went to my berth and turned the lights out but opened the blind to watch the world go by. This trip will probably be my last on the Mk3 stock so I was having a nostalgic one!

21lmjqu.jpg

The snow at Newtonmore

We'd been dropping time since departing Inverness and it was noticeable that the heating kept cutting out. We stood for quite a time at Newtonmore and I heard the staff discussing a fitter joining us at Dalwhinnie.

I took breakfast in the lounge car in the morning and a quick check of RTT revealed us to be running around 40L, the Fort William portion had been delayed due to snow. Serco have tried to improve the presentation of the sleeper breakfast:

esumfp.jpg

We then ran pretty slowly into Euston, where I was keen to ID the loco. It was 92010- my first class 92, which I was very happy with! I was also quite happy with the delay repay.

21etf0w.jpg

92010 at Euston

I then dashed up to the lounge where I was issued with a towel without any quibbling about shower tokens, I didn't have time for one.

0920 London Euston-Stockport. VTWC 390. 1st.

The 0920 is so much quieter than the 0940 which was rammed- definitely worth getting on an advance to avoid sardine-like conditions.

mtnfwz.jpg

VTWC Breakfast

I enjoyed the service on this train, they were basically throwing toast at me as it was quiet and they'd made loads!

A quick change at Stockport saw me onto a TP 185, my first trip on an internally refurbished specimen- it's nice! A bloke thought he was on the wrong train so was banging on doors for the platform staff to let him off, but it was too late. It turned out he was on the right train anyway. I was surprised how much snow was in the Hope Valley. I changed at Meadowhall onto a 144 back to Chapeltown.

A successful couple of days, covering the Far North Line and getting 3x new locos into the book, with the 92 being new traction and saying farewell to the MK3 sleeper stock.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Enjoyed reading that, most amusing re the Englander attitude to snow. :) Also, the gen on the Ruby Chicken (avoid at all costs) is most welcome, although it's probably more palatable than Wetherspoons' Haggis/Tatties/Neeps special offer last week (blander than a Barefoot Contessa box-set).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Amazingly a party of 5 boarded at Achnasheen

Even more amazing because Achnasheen is on the Kyle line rather than the Far North ;)

Sounded like a good little trip to Wick & back, I guess the 09:40 Euston - Manchester is rammed due to it being the first service off-peak tickets can be used on [with the 'peak' 09:20 carrying around fresh air]?

Iskra

Established Member
Enjoyed reading that, most amusing re the Englander attitude to snow. :) Also, the gen on the Ruby Chicken (avoid at all costs) is most welcome, although it's probably more palatable than Wetherspoons' Haggis/Tatties/Neeps special offer last week (blander than a Barefoot Contessa box-set).

Glad you liked it! Yes, I had low expectations, and it even managed to fall below them. You have to choose carefully in Spoons I find, a lot of it is very obviously microwaved, which ruins food in my opinion, but it's better value there than paying for microwaved stuff on the sleeper.

Even more amazing because Achnasheen is on the Kyle line rather than the Far North ;)

Sounded like a good little trip to Wick & back, I guess the 09:40 Euston - Manchester is rammed due to it being the first service off-peak tickets can be used on [with the 'peak' 09:20 carrying around fresh air]?

Haha, I obviously mean Altnabreac- I had to google how to spell it and somehow ended up with Achnasheen- I'll edit that! It is yes, but 1st on a pendo with its curved bodyside can get uncomfortably cramped at a table of 4 when it's full and there's lots of luggage, laptops and breakfast being served, which defeats the point of paying for 1st! Yes the peak 0920 was carrying fresh air, but it actually worked out cheaper anyway as there were more cheaper advances left for it and I get 20% discount on VTWC tickets through work.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Makes sense going for the cheaper option :)

In Altnabreac nobody can hear you scream [apart from the nearby houses]

backontrack

Established Member
A wonderful read.

"Absolute madness" isn't fair though. In terms of regional connectivity, it is a lifeline, and it also serves an important ferry service. There's even talk of an hourly commuter service as far as Tain.

But the snow flying past the windows as you trundled round the coast north of Brora...:wub:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I loved that read, the comments on the snow and Euston-style holding had me laughing very happily!

That shot of Inverness Castle is rather nice it must be said, but that VTEC food had my face cringed up, that did not look appetising at all! However I am very familiar with the Doom Bar pie in Spoons and I'm glad you're a fan too as I always happily recommend it

Iskra

Established Member
Wednesday 7th February- Any port in a storm.

I had a trip out on Wednesday, not really worth a full report as it was fairly routine so I'm just going to post a summary.

0538 Chapeltown-Sheffield. Northern 142.
0618 Sheffield-Warrington Central. EMT 158x2.
0826 Warrington BQ-Glasgow Central. VT 390. 1st.
1130 Glasgow Central-Ayr. Scotrail 380.
1328 Ayr-Stranraer. Scotrail 156.
1500 Stranraer-Kilmarnock. Scotrail 156.
1657 Kilmarnock-Glasgow Central. Scotrail 156.
1840 Glasgow Central-Warrington BQ. VT 390. 1st.
2203 Warrington Central-Sheffield. EMT 158.

The main point of this trip was to clear the Stranraer branch, which I achieved via both Paisley and Kilmarnock, further helping my coverage. The Stanraer branch was very interesting, perhaps the most varied line I've travelled in terms of scenery, progressing from urban to rural including coastal, moorland and river sections, well worth a trip. Also great to take in the Northern WCML which is always good fun.

There will be a full report for my next adventure at the start of March.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Loved reading about your Scottish trip Iskra. Thinking about turning my van into a snow response unit now. We had 000000.5 mm snow the other morning...

Established Member
Your Scottish trip provided a thoroughly entertaining read, thanks for posting it.
One day I'll give the Far North Line a good shack scratching.
Probably in the summer, mind :)

Iskra

Established Member
So, it's been a while since I've done an update for a number of reasons.

I did a Northern Weekend Rover at the end of March. Heading up the S&C and then down the Cumbrian Coast behind winner 37403. On the way home I cleared the Colne branch for the first time. I didn't feel it was worth writing a full report as I've already written several reports about these lines on this thread already. Secondly, my enthusiasm to do day 2 of my rover was killed when it became apparent that it would involve lots of impractical bustitution.

2v9q6c7.png

37403 leaving Carnforth

The Diamond Twenties Railtour- Pathfinder Tours 5/5/18

I'd been looking forward to this one for sometime, to get some 20 haulage in for the first (and probably last) time on the mainline and to travel lines and an area of the country that I don't prioritise much due to the fact there's little interesting rolling stock in these parts. Additionally, if the tour went to plan it would also provide me with 5 winning locos in one day.

There was a minor headache in the build up to the tour which had already been re-dated. The train was originally due to start at and end at Tame Bridge Parkway, where I had booked a hotel for the night before and after the tour. However due to engineering works the train would now terminate at Dorridge at 0015 on the way back, with no arrangements being offered to return me to Tame Bridge Parkway. I therefore had to cancel my hotel and book another at short notice, which I wasn't entirely thrilled about due to the associated extra expense, having booked in advance to get a cheap hotel in the first place.

I travelled down to the Dorridge area the night before via motor car. Being a bank holiday Friday I was anticipating congestion, so I chose to set off late at about 8pm to avoid the mayhem. This worked perfectly and I had a trouble free and enjoyable journey down to the West Midlands. My hotel was a Premier Inn located 1.5miles from Dorridge station. Not the best nights sleep due to a combination of pre-tour excitement and noise from the attached pub- definitely something to research more thoroughly next time.

The morning of the tour was a crisp one, being only 6 degrees on the short but marvellous drive to Dorridge down country lanes on the start of what would become a perfect and hot summers day. I secured a free parking spot and headed on to the platform. Both Dorridge and its station are very pleasant places. Not long afterwards a 66 could be heard ying-ing its way towards us as they do. GBRF's immaculate 66788 leading a rake of MK1's which either needed cleaning or repainting. This locomotive was a winner. I knew it was going to be a winner because this is the first GBRF 66 I've travelled behind.

b4anbc.png

Onboard, the carriages were a little chilly. I'd opted for first class as I was going to be on this train for a very long time. We had been advised that there was no heating on the train today, so I was prepared. The carriage was virtually full from the outset so I knew it wouldn't be long before things warmed up with the amount of bodies in it and it wasn't going to be an issue for long with the temperature due to get up to 26 later in the day. The atmosphere in the coach was a little different to what I've experienced before, being less relaxed than what I've experience before on railtours. There was some serious spotting going on, at times it was like a library and at times like a bingo-hall. This wasn't a problem, for everyone was perfectly civil, it was more a source of bemusement to someone who left that side of the hobby behind a long time ago. Meanwhile, I enjoyed a coffee and a nice sausage sandwich as we meandered towards Reading as the sun rose and the day warmed. There was intense excitement as we passed Reading depot as 2 57's and an 08 were spotted.

For me, things got interesting at Reading, where the winning track started. We ran 'fast' via Ascot. As an ignorant Northerner who feels queasy and comes out in a terrible rash if I travel further South than Chesterfield, I always thought Staines sounded like a horrible place. I think its simply due to the the name. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all residents, and affirm my new opinion that it actually looks like a nice little place. Thank you Pathfinder for opening my eyes on this issue. After Twickenham we took an interesting, but confusing set of lines to end up entering Victoria at Platform 2. I like what they've done (or are doing) to Battersea Powerstation, it looks very interesting.

At Victoria I nipped off to do a supermarket sweep at M&S and get a few photo's (in a safe and respectful manner). The station staff here are very obviously not used to railtours and the announcer in particular was coming across as very stressed, eventually calling for police assistance to our platform (I'm not sure why, as I was back on the train by that point).

smyrlg.png

20205 and 20189 were doing the honours today. Both winners for me. I'd got very lucky on this tour as I was seated in the nearest publicly available carriage to the 20's. The thrash was fantastic as we headed out of Victoria towards Mountfield sidings via Denmark Hill, Sevenoaks and Tonbridge. There were also great views of the city skyline and the tour was stopping many passers-by in their tracks. At Mountfield sidings the class 20's ran round the train, while 73963 and 73141 attached to my end of the train, both winners. The 20's lead us down into the Gypsum plant sidings. On the way back with the 73's leading on diesel the local Fire service watered the carriages. It was then back to Tonbridge with the class 20's leading now at the opposite end of the train. At Tonbridge we reversed with the 73's leading (I believe one on electric mode, but not sure about this) towards Headcorn (?) where we had a quick unscheduled stop where we could grab a quick photo.

307u3aa.jpg

Best I could do on the crowded narrow platform in the time available.

We then continued to Dungeness Sidings where we crawled down the bleak branch to the power station and lighthouse. On the way back to Victoria we detached the class 73's from the rear at Beechbrook Farm Loop. On re-boarding it was time for a trip to the ale bar-what a great way to spend a sunny bank holiday!

rtdhli.png

At Victoria 66788 rejoined the rear and it was a pretty slow trip back up to the West Midlands. It was back to the hotel for a brief sleep before an early morning drive to Sheffield to catch the 0849 from my local station to Leeds to be ready for my next engagement.

A great tour and a fantastic way to spend a sunny weekend. Thanks go to GBRF, Pathfinder Tours and all the staff involved.

My next rail trip will be to the airport for some international travels, for which I shall write a report.