• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iskra's Odysseys

Iskra

Established Member
20/5/24 - Northern Day Ranger/Passenger Services over Unusual Lines

The excellent value Northern Newspaper offer has made a welcome return, so I thought I would use it to do some of the more local lines to me with infrequent services, which would also involve a lunchtime arrival a the seaside for some fish and chips. I worked out a nice itinerary, which would get 3 poorly-served routes in relatively quick succession.

It was a leisurely set off down to Meadowhall station at around 8am, where I got parked up in the overflow car park and exchanged my newspaper tokens and paper form for a £10 Northern Day Ranger at the ticket office. The weather was overcast but mild at this point, which I was happy with as if you're spending a lot of time on Sprinters, you don't want them too stuffy.

By the time I'd sorted my ticket it was around 0840, so I walked over to platform 3 and cheekily asked the guard of the 0844 to Sheffield if I could board, and they accepted. I think I was itching to get going at this point.

0844 Meadowhall - Sheffield. 158782

I got a seat with ease, and it was nowhere near as crowded as these trains are sometimes. As per usual, we crawled into Sheffield station.

I then sat in the waiting shelter adjacent to Platform 2 and had my morning coffee, before heading over to platform 1a. Some recent construction work has now finished at Sheffield station, and it now looks a bit odd. It's definitely better, but after a long period of construction hoardings and scaffolding, the freshly improved façade seems a bit alien. There's more glass, so cleaner lines and some slightly more premium and less prison-like steel seating.

At this point I'm sure some of you will have worked out where I was heading... A Transpennine Express service to Cleethorpes had been heavily delayed, so was due in on Platform 1b at a similar time to the daily Northern service to Cleethorpes via Brigg that I was awaiting. This was a recipe for confusion, but few if any punters fell into the trap. I did think that if the TP service was delayed further, our Northern service might have been swamped, so I was relieved when the TP turned up first. The Northern service was seemingly coming fresh from Sheffield depot, and it did duly emerge albeit a few minutes late- possibly impacted by the late running Transpennine service.

0954 Sheffield - Cleethorpes via Brigg. Northern 150222.

thumbnail_IMG_4986.jpg

The benefit of a 150 straight off the depot was that it was spotlessly clean, which was a nice change. There were actually 20-30 passengers boarding, which I thought was healthy. Some were end-to-end passengers heading on their holidays to Cleethorpes, but the majority seemed to change at Retford for London services. Northern seem to be doing a better job of enticing passengers onto this service with advance tickets. For those who don't know, this service used to run on a Saturday-only basis, with three trains in each direction. Recently, Northern have abandoned the Saturday service and the service now runs Monday to Friday only, with one train per day in each direction, giving around an hour and a half in Cleethorpes before the return train, which is just about the right length of stay in my opinion ;) This train also has the benefit of running fast to Worksop and Retford, so is a bonus express service for regular passengers. It was interesting to see some classic locomotives and liveries on display at Worksop, including a 47 in faded Network South East and another in BR Large Logo blue. Gainsborough Central was looking in good shape considering its now paltry service, the guard did mention that they are hoping to restore the Sheffield-Gainsborough Central short workings in the future, which I think would be great for passengers, and passengers heading to Lincoln too would get their journeys sped-up once more. At Retford, there was quite a decent passenger turnover, both off and on so the loading remained reasonable. After Gainsborough, I saw quite a lot of deer at the lineside and the countryside was looking very vibrantly green and alive. At Brigg station, I noted that the waiting shelter has a payphone attached still- you don't see many of those around anymore. I also noted the new automatic level crossing- when I last did the trip just before Covid in March 2020, it was still crossing gates operated by a person, like you'd see on a preserved railway. It was then a pleasant trip onwards to Barnetby, with yet more deer sightings- maybe they should market this train as the deerstalker! From Barnetby, the train runs fast calling at Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes only and we did gain more passengers at Grimsby. As much as this bit of the line is a bit rundown, I do enjoy the mixture of old architecture, historical infrastructure and industrial decline, I find it interesting. Overall, it was a very pleasant run and I think Northern have done well to maximise this services appeal to as many groups as possible and speed up the end to end journey time. There is of course still room for improvement, and a second train per day would probably make the train a lot more useful for non-enthusiast day-trippers.

At Cleethorpes, it was off to Papa's Fish & Chip restaurant on the pier. These were amazing. £12, but this was essentially my breakfast, lunch and dinner:

thumbnail_IMG_4990.jpg

I then walked back to the station, for a nice pint at the pub on the station. I like this pub, it's award-winning, clean and has good beer. I had a Pint of Sharp's Sea Fury which was fantastic. Then, it was time to head back to the train:

1320 Cleethorpes-Sheffield. Northern 150222.

thumbnail_IMG_4997.jpg

Unsurprisingly, it was 150222 to take me back to Sheffield. Again, the train was reasonably loaded. This time I sat on the solo seats by the disabled toilet, and managed to get quite comfortable. I happily dozed on the way back in the slight glow of sunshine through the window and feeling very content after my beer and good food. I was woken only by a stream of vegetation coming through the hopper window that a fellow passenger had opened, but once a healthy pile of leaves had accumulated, they sensibly closed it. Back on the edge of Sheffield, we passed the Supertram depot, and I noted the rusty-looking tracks of the Deepcar Branch, before we crawled into Sheffield after arriving a little early. One of the pleasantest, most peaceful journeys I've had for a while this one.

1540 Sheffield-York. Northern 150211.

Another infrequent service was conveniently timed to depart around 30 minutes later. This service is Sheffield-Rotherham Central-Swinton-Moorthorpe-Pontefract Baghill-Church Fenton-York, with three return journeys per day. Once again, it was over to Platform 1a for a class 150 unit fresh from the depot.

thumbnail_IMG_5007.jpg

Again, this was a lovely clean unit and not overly busy with passengers, so it was a pleasant ride. We did drop a bit of time on the approach to Meadowhall and while weaving around the scrapyards of Rotherham, but ultimately we made up our time before York. Another pleasant journey, although I would say that Pontefract Baghill station, is looking a bit rundown.

On arrival at York, it was noticeable how busy York was compared to everywhere else I'd been so far. I had the option here of turning back and heading home, or continuing on to do a third unusual line. With the sun now out, I opted to continue. Once again, I didn't have too long to wait for my next service.

1745 York-Gilberdyke. Northern 155342.

thumbnail_IMG_5013.jpg

I was happy with my decision to continue, as it's a long time since I've been on a 155 and I don't encounter them much these days, but I did in my youth in the West Yorkshire area. This was probably the busiest train I was on all day and unfortunately a loud, obnoxious group of women who'd been on a day-trip to York from Hull decided to sit around me and shout at each other. The noise-cancelling headphones were deployed and although I'd planned to travel to Brough to change trains there, I opted to spend less time on this train and alight at Gilberdyke instead. I suppose that flexibility is one of the best thing about ranger tickets.

Gilberdyke in the evening-sun turned out to be a great choice as, as well as being generally pleasant and peaceful, it sees quite a few trains passing through, which breaks up the time.

1915 Gilberdyke-Goole. Northern 158905.

thumbnail_IMG_5016.jpg

This was a pleasant brief run to Goole, for my next unusual service.

1943 Goole-Leeds. Northern 150269.

thumbnail_IMG_5019.jpg

The Goole-Knottingley section of this line sees three passenger services each way per day. I was one of only two passengers on departing Goole, with there being five staff on board due to route-learning. I'd forgotten just how rural and quaint this line is, and there's some nice looking places on it so I may be back to explore further in the future. My fellow passenger rose to alight at Snaith, and I was certain I was going to have the accolade of having the train to myself from here, but I was bowled as another passenger replaced him at Snaith, and we picked up another passenger somewhere else before Knottingley. At Knottingley, I saw a class 50 on the depot, which was unexpected. I alighted at Castleford for my connection onto the Hallam Line.

Castleford has seen a lot of investment recently and has gained extra services. However, it's a bit of a disappointment currently. None of the information screens were working, which is confusing now it has additional passenger services all shooting off in different directions, and some of them do vary which platform they use to the same place. The giant, ugly new footbridge is also functionally problematic as it's proven popular with the local birds, so it's absolutely covered in excrement, which is both unhygienic and just gives off a really poor impression of the place. The current state of the station is a great shame as it has had a lot of recent investment and it has the best trains service that it has had for years.

thumbnail_IMG_5028.jpg

Inbetween giving out platform information to passengers on request from RealTimeTrains, a GBRF Class 60 hauled freight train came through the station. I don't see too many class 60's these days, so I filmed it:

2052 Castleford-Meadowhall. Northern 195020.

thumbnail_IMG_5032.jpg

Overall, an excellent value day-out and relaxing day on the rails refreshing myself over some of the obscure routes on my doorstep. I've got to give all the Northern staff I encountered credit for being really friendly and helpful when needed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Great report and good photos! Thanks for taking the time to write-up your trip. One small point....I think that 'Pontefract Tanshelf' should read 'Pontefract Baghill'! I suspect that a friend and ex-colleague of mine may have been driving 60 026, which you videoed passing through Casvegas on the Rylstone-Hull stone train. I've messaged him to confirm, but he hasn't replied yet....so I suspect he may still be at work.

Iskra

Established Member
Great report and good photos! Thanks for taking the time to write-up your trip. One small point....I think that 'Pontefract Tanshelf' should read 'Pontefract Baghill'! I suspect that a friend and ex-colleague of mine may have been driving 60 026, which you videoed passing through Casvegas on the Rylstone-Hull stone train. I've messaged him to confirm, but he hasn't replied yet....so I suspect he may still be at work.
Thank you! Yes, you are of course correct, thanks for pointing that out, I’ll go back and change it :)

Iskra

Established Member
Vintage Trains - The Shakespeare Express - Derby to Stratford Upon Avon
Vintage trains have decided this year to offer some steam services from Derby station, which is not too far away from me. They use mainly GWR locomotives, so that would provide something different for me (on the mainline at least). Finally, the price point is good and the timings civilised, so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

To meet the tour I started with the local stagecoach bus, which is only every two hours on a Sunday which is pretty poor. My bus stop offers 5 buses an hour every other day of the week, plus there are other options nearby, but it all falls apart on a Sunday. The bus however arrived on time and I managed to sit on the top deck on the front row, so I was off to a good start. It was also a fairly smooth run down to Sheffield station, where I bumped into a mate who had my ticket for the Play Off Final at Wembley and we had a quick chat in the waiting room before going our separate ways. I noted a lot of cancelled Northern services and felt with Leeds at Wembley and it being a bank holiday, that the trains could be chaos, so I opted for a First Class ticket for the day.

thumbnail_IMG_5064.jpg

The 0856 XC train to Plymouth had originated at Wakefield Westgate, so wasn't too busy on arrival and I was one of only three in First Class for the pleasant run down to Derby to meet the railtour. At Derby I had a bit of time to kill, so I took a look on RealTimeTrains to see if anything interesting was due through the station, and a couple of moves of interest were spotted. The first was a pair of class 37's, that provided a nice bit of entertainment while I waited:

Next, I stocked up from the Costa before heading over to my platform to watch the ECS come in, led by 47773. I then grabbed a few rushed photo's before jumping on board. Boarding was slightly chaotic as it was unreserved seating, which is a bit unusual. It worked in my favour on this occasion as I was able to get a spot close to the locomotive in the lead coach.

thumbnail_IMG_5072.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5083.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5098.jpg

It was a lovely run, with winning Castle Class 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe doing the honours, and providing some great sound and steam. The weather alternated between rain and sunshine, but it was warm enough and plenty were out to see the tour. On the way to Stratford Upon Avon, the train went via Tamworth, Tyseley and Hatton, where the train reversed so that winner 47773 could have its moment of glory as it led us through pleasant countryside for the final few miles into Stratford Upon Avon, with the section all being new coverage for me :)

At Stratford, I went for a quick sandwich at the coffee shop just over the road from the station and formulated a plan. The train would not be standing-idle during our free time at Stratford Upon Avon, but would be running a lunchtime trip to Birmingham and back with another set of passengers. This meant, that I'd be able to film the train at speed through a local station. Normally, it's very hard to get any decent photo's or footage of the railtours I'm interested in, as I'm usually on them, so this was a decent opportunity for me. Wilmcote was selected as my station of choice as it looked a pleasant station and a pleasant place. I thus booked a return ticket for the surprisingly small sum of £2.60.

thumbnail_IMG_5104.jpg

This train was 5 carriages of class 172, which seemed a bit overkill.

At Wilmcote, it wasn't long before the sound of a steam locomotive working-hard grew gradually nearer and the Castle made a fantastic sight charging through the station. I then headed off to the nearby pub through the lovely village.

thumbnail_IMG_5108.jpg

The pub also had Timothy Taylor's Landlord on, so I was very happy indeed. After enjoying a nice pint, it was back to Wilmcote station where I expected the 47 to drag the train through the station, but surprisingly it was the steam locomotive, running tender-first which is relatively unusual.

After that, it was another 5-car 172 set to take me back to Stratford Upon Avon to board the railtour home. Predictably, the lack of reserved seating caused chaos and bickering on the return journey, with some passengers expecting to be able to claim the same seats they had on their outward journey being disappointed and groups of 4 boarding last-minute being surprised that they couldn't get a table of 4 altogether and being unable to comprehend the concept of splitting into pairs, and expecting others to move to accommodate them, without that being politely communicated. It was a bit like Ryanair's version of a railtour I suppose, and you do get what you pay for afterall, but it did unnecessarily sour the atmosphere in the carriage for a while and leave egg on the face of the stewards, who also didn't have the communication skills needed for the task of pleasing everyone, despite the train not quite being a sell-out.

The journey back was via Henley in Arden and was pleasanter and greener overall than the outward journey. This circular itinerary was also exactly what I needed to cover all the track in the area efficiently, so I was very happy with it. Word must have got out about the railtour, as on the way home a lot of the stations after Coleshill Parkway were packed with spectators of all ages. On the run back I recorded a top speed of 76mph, which topped the peak of 65mph that I'd clocked on the outward journey. I've got to say that the Castle performed brilliantly throughout, and sounded awesome too. Back at Derby, I got a quick photo of the 47 before catching a Meridian home, where there was evidence of first class catering on a Sunday, although not for me as the host had given up by this point.

thumbnail_IMG_5114.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5118.jpg

The all-inclusive highlight reel:

Overall, it was a great and inexpensive day out with two winning locomotives and some new route coverage that I needed, it did the job, but I'll probably swerve Vintage Trains for a while unless they're doing something that I really want to do, it was just a bit too lacking in organisation to repeat regularly.

- - - - - - -

Also, just for anyone who is interested, I completed uploading the rest of the footage from the Churnet Valley Railway Steam Gala now, so there are two more videos available here:

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
4/6-5/6 A journey to Italy- The last of the Calabrian D445’s?

I started with a 0400 get up, to have time for a morning coffee and to pack the rucksack. It was then a short walk to the bus stop for a departure at around 0525. It was quite a pleasant morning in Sheffield and it was a nice ride down to the Interchange. I then walked over to Sheffield station which looks nice now that they’ve stopped working on it, and as I had a bit of time I went to Costa for a coffee before heading to the waiting room on P6. I checked RTT to see if anything interesting was coming through while I waited, and thus I duly observed a GBRF and DB 66 each on aggregate workings to/from the Hope Valley.

I’d booked a TP First class advance for this one, as I do like the class 185 first class and like to have a relaxing start to the day before the potential Manchester Airport low cost carrier chaos.

0707 Sheffield-Manchester Oxford Road. 2x TP 185.

IMG_5169.jpeg

I got lucky with it being a 6-car formation and I looked to see where the trolley was boarding before choosing the unit I jumped in, to guarantee some first class freebies. Reservations weren’t displayed, which caused some confusion amongst passengers, who don’t understand that if they aren’t displayed; reservations are basically null and void. The compartment was pretty full and the train filled up even more at Dore. Around Dore the attendant came through taking orders, I opted for just a coffee as I wasn’t hungry, but there was the option of a croissant, or cake or biscuits. The journey was fantastic with the Hope Valley looking stunning, and the highlight being seeing a class 20 showing itself at the Hope sidings. The TP train from Sheffield no longer goes direct to the airport, so I needed to change. My ticket specified changing at Oxford Road rather than Piccadilly. I had spotted that the TP service from Scotland was running a few minutes late, so I was already concerned whether it would be terminated early, as has previously happened on my journeys to the airport.

Once I alighted the 185’s, I traversed the bridge and descended onto the platform, where sure enough my airport train was now showing at terminating at Manchester Piccadilly on the screens. In future, I’ll ignore my ticket and just change at Piccadilly as there are more airport services from there, so more recovery options.

0825 Manchester Oxford Road-Manchester Piccadilly. TP 397002

These are certainly nice-looking trains. In truth it was barely worth sitting down for the few minutes I was on the train. Over the tannoy the TM announced that the train was terminating at Piccadilly and passengers were to take the following Northern service to the airport due to a fault with the train. Before boarding my next service, I double-checked with two platform staff if my TP-only ticket would be okay on the Northern service.

IMG_5174.jpeg

0847 Manchester Piccadilly-Airport. Northern 331x2.

I aimed for the front of the set as I suspected it would be quieter, and that worked out well. The journey was smooth and problem-free, until on approaching Manchester Airport station two Northern revenue assistants appeared and were unimpressed with my TP-only ticket. They said that it technically wasn’t valid, I pointed out that I’d been advised to use this specific service over the tannoy by the guard on my previous train, and even more technically it was valid, at which point they backed-off and left me alone.

IMG_5176.jpeg

By the time I arrived at Manchester Airport the morning rush was well gone, so it was quite a pleasant experience. There was basically no queue at security, although the machine apparently detected a bit of metal in my leg, so I was taken to one side to have my shoes x-rayed and my leg wanded, but nothing was ever found and it was all good natured. The airport was generally tranquil and I didn’t bother with my usual pre-flight coffee as the dominant brand was not to my liking. Out of the window, I did see the Emirates A380, an aircraft type that will never fail to impress me, which brought back memories of my wonderful flight on the type from San Francisco to Heathrow back in 2022. There would be nothing so glamorous for me today, it was a simple Easyjet A320 to Milan Malpensa for me.

IMG_5178.jpeg

The flight was slightly delayed leaving Manchester, despite boarding being completed early. The flight was really nice and smooth. I’d been given an aisle seat, which I was relatively happy with. I slept for most of the flight although I did have a nice mini-bottle of Pinot from the trolley as I was starting to feel the holiday vibes. The flight felt to pass quickly. At Milan we were crammed onto buses and I dodged the long queue for the E-gates by just walking down the All-Passports line where there was no queue and I was swiftly admitted. I seemed to have arrived into a different bit of the airport than previously, so it took me a moment to find my bearings but the walk to the station wasn’t too challenging in the end.

At the station I bought a ticket for the Malpensa Express from a machine for 13 Euro before descending to the platforms.

IMG_5180.jpeg

This train was functional and comfortable enough, although the journey seemed quite slow compared to my memory of having done it previously.

Next, I had a few hours to spare in Milano Centrale. It’s a beautiful station and one that I will never tire of. I had a quick meander around the station to take it all in, before nipping into the Station Bistrot and heading to the restaurant part at the back for some decent food and it’s always an interesting experience. You have to play along with the staff, who despite rarely having many customers to attend to are always pretending to be busy, so it can take some effort to be served. After speaking to one, she told me she’d be back in a minute to serve me once she’d put the trolley she was wheeling away.

Dinner was very nice and it was reasonably priced considering the location and it’s better than eating total junk food (although I accept my meal was not the healthiest choice).

IMG_5185.jpeg

I enjoyed the meal, and I made the wine last while I people-watched and observed numerous American tourists fail to grasp the concept or get served, and walk out.

Once I’d sat there as long as I could, I thought I’d go do some train-spotting as a way of passing the time for free. The end of the platforms at Milan are so quiet and peaceful compared to the bustling concourse, so this was a good decision. There are also plenty of trains, the station having 24 platforms so there is always something happening. I was most interested in the Siracusa Night train, and my own, but I did try and get some shots of trains coming through the Cabina at the station throat. It was just a nice temperature at this point too, so I happily passed a couple of hours and it was better than continuing drinking wine or eating more.

IMG_5200.jpegIMG_5207.jpeg

Eventually, my night train rolled-in with its exotic-looking dark blue and red carriages and an Intercity locomotive at each end. This was the Intercity Night service to Lecce, although I was only taking it as far as Taranto.

IMG_5220.jpeg

Onboard, the train was quite busy and a real melting-pot of nationalities. My next door neighbour was a young Italian lady travelling with her dog, further down the carriage I could hear a group of ladies speaking French. One of the carriage attendants was rushing up and down delivering bottles of water and sanitary kits. I knew a ticket check would also be done soon, so I left my door open during this part of the journey so that the staff didn’t have to keep knocking to deliver my items. The ladies dog next door kept coming to see me during this period, which was a minor amusement. Shortly after departure my ticket and passport were checked and I shut the door and went to bed as I was extremely tired by this point.

Part 2 to follow.

Iskra

Established Member
The nights sleep wasn’t the best, this was partially self-inflicted as the wine probably didn’t help, but also the trains regular station stops, a bit of an unsympathetic driving style and the air-con blowing hot and cold all meant that I didn’t sleep much until well into the morning. I’d ordered breakfast to be served at Bari Centrale where the train reverses, and it was duly delivered just after. The morning espresso was an absolute life saver.

IMG_5223.jpeg

I then did my morning ablutions in preparation for our arrival into Taranto, and noted that many passengers seemed to have alighted by Bari. Arrival was timely, which is incredibly important as my connection is only 10 minutes, although it has never let me down yet. Although I didn’t sleep great on this occasion, I still can’t fault it for 83.00 Euros, including the next leg of the journey too.

On the approach to Taranto, I saw one of the new Intercity Multiple Units that are soon to take over from the D445 locomotives on the Taranto-Reggio Calabria route. As we pulled in to the station I saw a D445 set waiting for my onward service, which I was pleased with so that I can have one last ride. I was also happy that the loco was in the Intercity livery, which is the one they look best in.

IMG_5226.jpeg

I boarded coach 3, behind the loco. Coach 3 is always the least busy coach as the reservation system fills up from coach 1, so coach 3 is usually virtually empty which makes for a pleasant and peaceful journey. As we left Taranto I took a quick picture of one of the new Intercity Units.

IMG_5232.jpeg

The weather was overcast for most of the journey which made the views underwhelming, normally this is a beautiful journey with fantastic colours from the sea and beaches but it didn’t look quite so nice on this occasion, although I did still enjoy several hours of loco-haulage on comfortable carriages. At Crotone, we passed one of the new Intercity units and I was able to see inside and see that the interior is genuinely Intercity standard, rather than commuter-based, which makes me feel happier about travelling on these sets in the future. Around the Crotone area, there is a significant stretch where electrification gantries are installed, and are still being installed, but in some areas there is nothing at all, so it looks like partial electrification is the plan. We’d lost a bit of time on the run, so were now delayed and due to the single track sections all trains were passing delays to each other. At my destination, Locri, we passed another D445 hauled set and I filmed the departure of my train, as did a couple of others.

It was then a short journey by road to reach my destination and have a Peroni or two on the balcony, a takeaway pizza and some much needed sleep.

IMG_5239.jpeg

These locomotive hauled services are theoretically going to be withdrawn come the timetable change this weekend and replaced with the new Intercity units, so it will be interesting to see whether that does happen or if the D445’s end up hanging on a bit longer. Also noticeable on the Ionian Coast line, is the paucity of the old ALN railcars which were the backbone of this line for years and have also been mainly replaced with modern commuter units. After years of plodding on with life-expired stock, it looks like modernity is finally about to arrive almost overnight.

On my return journey to England in a couple of weeks, I will be heading Westwards from here, taking in my last remaining required FS line in Calabria, and then taking the night train back up to Milan to complete a massive circuit of Italy and also try the Excelsior Sleeper cabin for the first time. It will be interesting to see what rolling stock appears after the timetable change and how the journey home pans out.

Last edited: