• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Hopping in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Island Hoping in Scotland : A trip report with a difference which I hope you won’t mind me uploading here. It is thin on railways but big on ferries!

My girlfriend and I (and the grumpy hound) recently took our campervan, Bluebelle, to Scotland. The trip started for me on a Thursday night with a journey on the stagecoach X5 form Milton Keynes ot St Neots, a Thamelsink to Peterbrough and a VTEC to Wakefield. A cab ride soon had me at my girlfriends where the van was waiting along with an early night

We started early on Friday morning being on the road at 6am. The journey was a long one with our ultimate destination being Lochaline on the remote Morven peninsula in Argyle and Bute. It is a long way from anywhere and a very long way from Leeds! It is about 380 miles and should take about 7 ½ hours in the car but longer in the van. Kath would be diving and I would be commuting between remote Scottish areas by ferry.

Beinn Dorain by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Off we went up the M1 and A1 to Scotch Corner where a much needed breakfast stop was taken thanks to those good people at Greggs. On to the A66 and over the Stainmore pass. The road is slightly higher than the former South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway route over the pennines which at 1,370 ft was the highest point on the railway network in England until its closure in 1962. The view from the top was superb and with it being such a clear day the lake district fells were clearly visible in the distance.

Doing a passible impression of the starship enterpirse at warp speed we flew down the other side of the hills and sped through Brough and Appleby before crossing under the WCML at Penrith and joining the M6 and M74 north. If not quite the night mail crossing the border we were making good time, pulling up Beattock, a steady climb: The gradient's against her, but she's on time. Soon her climb is done and down towards Glasgow she descends. We were certainly making better progress than the pair of WCRC 47’s slogging their way up the long climb!

Glen Coe by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Soon we are coming out of the wilderness and into Hamilton and Motherwell, passing Polmadie and joining the wacky races experience that is the central motorway network in Glasgow where the M8 and A737 took us to Lochwinnoch and a stop at my mums for refreshment and a refuel. Drinks done and toast eaten we headed for the Erskine Bridge and Loch Lommond where we ground to a halt. Traffic was heavy but the weather was wonderful so we enjoyed the slow trundle along the shores enjoying the view.

It took until about Ardlui for the traffic to clear and after that we made good progress via Crianlarich and an ice cream break at the Green Welly Shop in Tyndrum. During the ice cream stop my explanation of the reasons why such a small place as Tyndrum has two stations fell on deaf ears. It went the same way as my plan to get the sleeper north and meet Kath and the van somewhere Scottish and remote. No idea why…………………..

Anyway, soon we were off and heading up the A82 past Bridge of Orchy and through the stunning pass of Glencoe, over the Ballculish Bridge before pulling up at slipway for our first ferry: the Corran ferry.

Corran Ferry by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

This ferry crosses Loch Linnhe at the Corran Narrows about 10 miles south of Fort William. It is operated, not by the ubiquitous Caledonian MacBrayne (of them more later) but by Highland Council. The ferry is a crucial link between the A82 and the otherwise extremely remote Morvern and Ardnamurchan peninsulas. Use of this ferry saved us at least an hour on the land route from Corran to Lochaline. The Ferry, The Corran, was built in Hull in 2001 for the sum of £2.9m. The ferry runs every 20 to 30 minutes all day and the crossing takes about 10 minutes and has space for about 12 cars. The journey costs £8.30 for vehicles.

Corran Ferry by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

From the slip way at Ardgour to Lochaline is only about 30 miles. That’s only about 30 miles over increasingly narrowing, twisty, hilly, remote and beautiful roads via Strontian where the chemical element Strontium ( SR38 for you chemists out there) was discovered. This part of the journey took a good hour and having checked out where the dive boat would leave from we retired to our campsite at Finuary on the shores of the sound of Mull. It was wonderful and peaceful.

Lochaline by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Next morning I dropped Kath at the harbour side early so she could go diving and I could go for a round trip that should have me back at Lochaline by tea time. First up was the ferry from Lochaline to Fishnish on the Isle of Mull. This service is run by Caledonian MacBrayne. It cost me £6.90 for a single on the crossing that took about 15 minutes. A note on the prices on Calmac which seem at times to be flexible! You pay a price for your vehicle and a price per person on board. Sometimes we were charged a price for a smaller vehicle, sometimes we were not charged for any passengers and sometimes we paid the correct price!

The ferry itself is the MV Lochinvar which was built by Ferguson Shipbuilders of Glasgow in 2011. She is one of only three passenger and vehicle roll-on, roll-off ferries in the world to incorporate a low-carbon hybrid system of diesel electric and lithium ion battery power and is the second hybrid ferry commissioned and owned by Cal Mac. She has a top speed of 9 knots, can carry 150 passengers, 23 cars or two HGVs, is 150 ft long and is a sea going vessel. Her name comes from and 1808 poem by Sir Walter Scott and she looked very smart in the early morning sun.

My furry co driver and I took our place in the queue (fortified by square sausage & bacon rolls and tea from the snack bar at the grandly named ferry terminal) and were soon beckoned forward. We rolled slowly down the slip way and clanked over the boarding ramp on the spacious through vehicle deck. With the boarding ramp secure the hound and I took a spot on the top deck to enjoy the early morning air as the ferry departed. I was surprised to see that there were no ropes as the ship is held in position by “thrusters” at the bow and stern. We reversed away from the quay and into the loch before moving forward to cross the dark, black waters sound of Mull. The quay at Fishnish looked very small and seemed to consist of a road running out of the trees into the sea.

Soon the warning horn sounded and the ramp begin to drop as the ship ran into the slipway. We were back on board as the ramp thudded down and within a few seconds the crew were directing traffic off and foot passengers on. A very slick operation.

At the main road we turned right and headed for Tobermory, the capital of Mull but perhaps best known for its multi coloured houses and appearances in the BBC childrens show Balamory . I had been told by the crew on the first ferry that my second ferry might not be running due to low tidal levels. Not knowing what the story would be in Ballmory I set off to find out.

The run up the coast was lovely and after the wonderful ruined Aros Castle the road changed from a modern A road to a narrow road with passing places before opening up again just before the town. I pulled up in the large harbour side car park, took a few pictures and tried to persuade the dog to go for a walk. He refused. Instead we drove round to the ferry terminal and joined the queue. It turned out the first ferry hadn’t run but the next one would run. In 2 hours. The only thing for it was to go for a walk and then make a brew in the van. The dog only consented to be emptied on the quayside in exchange for some bacon roll!

Tobermory by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

The ferry we were all waiting for was the small MV Loch Tarbert which works between Tobermory and Kilchoan on the very remote Ardnamurchan peninsula. The ferry was built by James N Miller & Sons Ltd of St Monans, Fife in 1992. She can carry 142 passengers and 17 cars . The staff were soon out and about counting and then worryingly measuring Bluebelle and the 2 other camper vans In the queue. How long are we? How much do you weigh? Could the luggage rack come off? Would anyone be prepared to drive the long way via Fishnish? I was told that we would be going on last and only then if there was enough room. The bloke behind me was not happy to be told he wouldn’t be getting on!

As the boat pulled in I could see why they were concerned. It looked tiny and quite narrow, more WWII landing craft than 21st century ferry. Once the incoming traffic was off the ferrymen started the automotive Tetris that was loading . One car at a time was called forward starting with the smallest. They were marshalled with inch perfect precision almost touching each other. Then the other campers went on before eventually it was our turn.

We are a 3.5t 8 feet high and 20 feet long van, a monster in these circumstances. Slowly and with some trepidation I rolled down the concrete slip way following the directions of the marshal: Left a bit, forward, left a bit more, LEFT! Keep coming, keep coming, left, straight, left, straight, stop! Now VERY slowly inch up. Watch me not the cars. STOP! That will do it. With us on the marshals then loaded the formerly angry but now very happy man aboard by wedging him in at a funny angle. God knows how they did it but we were all aboard and the ramps were up.

Kilchoan by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

For the second time today we were crossing the sound of Mull but the scenery here was different, much more mountainous and rugged. The crossing here cost me £15, takes roughly 35 minutes and was very bracing. The little ferry was buffeted by winds but kept chugging slowly forward.

The slipway at Kilochan is tiny and in the middle of nowhere. The road is narrow and I took a few minutes to let the other vehicles get ahead before tackling the road to Salen. This was a single track road with passing places, was utterly deserted and was stunningly beautiful. It ran over steep wild moors and along the banks of Loch Sunart. At Salen I turned left and headed over more moors and past more lochs to reach Lochailort station on the West Highland Line.

Here I paused for a cup of tea, an emptying of the dog and an exploration of the station which is a request stop on the Mallaig Extension Railway. It has one platform, a shelter, a timetable and some lampposts. There were no trains for some time! Apparently the rugged terrain nearby provided an excellent training ground for Special Operations Executive (SOE) Commandoes during the Second World War but today it was quiet and peaceful.

Lochailort by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Next stop was Glenfinnan which is the next station along the line. To get there we took the A830 alongside Loch Eilt. On arrival I squeezed the van into the tiny car park and had a look around the restored station. It has a collection of equipment, some carriages in use as a café, a restored signal boxes, two very well looked after platforms and a museum. I hoped to go onto the viaduct and monument but as I returned to the van the heavens opened so I decided to head back to base.

Glenfinnan by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Rather than drive through Fort William and back to the Corran ferry I spotted a “short cut” along the A861 which ran along the far side of Lochs Eli and Linnhe which would save me £8.30 and would surely be quicker. It might have been shorter on the map but was very slow and it took me a good two hours to cover the 56 miles between Glenfinnan and Lochaline and I arrived only just in time to pick Kath up.

We retired to our lovely campsite looking forward to a relaxing drink and a nice meal to be confronted by a grey cloud of angry midges intent on snacking upon us. The van was invaded and we ended up fleeing the campsite and spending the night at the ferry terminal! At least that made the morning commute bearable!

Next day I was back on the MV Lochinvar and off to explore the interior of Mull. It is stunning, simply stunning and like a different world. I had two options: A circular route that would cover most of the island or a trip to Iona. I had time for only one. In the end I did neither due to an emergency road closure! I drove all the way to Gruline cross roads over narrow mountain roads meeting little traffic, except a massive red West Coast Motors coach which was a little unnerving on such a narrow road, before being turned back. In the end I went back to Tobermory before taking the ferry back to Lochaline.

Fishnish by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

The crossing was much slower than normal (I was now an expert at this ferry lark) due to the fact our ferry seemed to be playing chicken with two massive Cal mac ships heading in and out of Oban via the sound of Mull. First we angled behind the outbound MV Isle of Lewis and then in front of the inbound MV Clansman before beating back onto our normal path. They were both much bigger than us and looked like proper sea going ships and weren’t in any mood to give way!

The plan was to collect Kath, drive back to Corran and on to Oban. As she was running a little early we end up taking MV Loch Tarbet back to Mull (again – much to the amusement of the staff who offered me a season ticket!) before driving to Craignure and the Oban ferry.

Fishnish by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

We raced down to the terminal, rushed into the ticket office and dashed aboard the appropriately named MV Isle of Mull ( built by Ferguson Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow in 1987) for the 50 minute crossing to the mainland. This one cost us £21. This ship is massive compared to the others with a capacity 962 passengers & 70 cars on a fully enclosed car deck. We took a spot on the upper decks and watched the world go by as we sipped tea and tried to prevent the dog eating the grannys obsessed with petting him! Slipping past in the other direction was the second ship on this run the smaller MV Coruisk . This vessel seems to have had a nomadic and eventful life before finding a semi-permanent home on the Mull run.

Craignure by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Oban soon arrived an after unloading we headed for our campsite and more midges., We stuck it out overnight but by the morning we both resembled pin cushions and enough was enough. We had a look around Oban harbour before heading south via a stop for tea and buns atCrianlarich . We settled on Largs where Kath met some friends for more diving.

The Isle of Mull by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Sadly the weather was terrible and diving proved very difficult. We instead enjoyed a walk around the very colourful Kelburn Castle and undertook a recce to a proposed dive site Wemyss Bay. This proved impossible in the bad and with the sea turning angry we saw another CalMac ferry, MV Argyle, struggle into harbour. Passing the station I saw the prestigious Royal Scotsman train hauled by a rather prosaic, if appropriately for us, 66739 named Bluebell Railway so stopped for a nosey. The well-heeled passengers were obviously off enjoying a trip to Rothesay as the station was deserted.

Cumbrae by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

After a decent night at a quiet farmhouse campsite near Largs we set off for Cumbrae. This required yet another Calmac ferry trip, perhaps the shortest run in their roster, between Largs and Cumbrae slip. Waiting for us was the massive (at least for this run) MV Loch Shira. This ship was built by Ferguson Shipbuilders of Port Glasgow in 2006 and has a capacity of 36 cars and 250 passengers, however CalMac have stated that it is unlikely that more than 24 cars will be carried on the current route, in order to avoid traffic congestion both on the Isle of Cumbrae and at the Largs ferry terminal, where a busy junction is encountered just yards from leaving the boat. She has two areas for passengers: a smaller lounge on the car deck, and full lounge above it along with a large outside areas offering lovely views of the Firth of Clyde, the Hunterston B nuclear power station and the foreign ore terminal. This crossing cost us £12.20.

Largs by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

The journey is 10 minutes long and soon deposits you on the island of Cumbrae. Measuring roughly 2.5 miles by 1.2 miles this is a lovely quiet and peaceful little island favoured by cyclists and walkers many of who seemed to be on our ferry. It is a short drive from the slip way to the main ( perhaps only) settlement on the island: Millport.

Cumbrae by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

This is a lovely little seaside town where while Kath did some diving off the pier I retied to the wonderfully time warped ritz café for rolls and coffee. After that I explored the Cathedral of the Isles (the smallest Cathedral in Britain) the Wedge ( Britain’s thinnest house) and Garrison House before collecting the divers and driving them round to Fintry Bay where while they had another dip I had a brew and read my book. Once they were out and dry we headed back to Millport for fortifying fish and chips before driving back to the ferry the “long “ way round.

Waiting for us was the second ferry on the Cumbrae crossing: MV Loch Riddon. This is a much smaller ferry but she can she can still carry 200 passengers and 12 cars. This ship was built by R.Dunston of Hessle & dates from 1986. Now an expert at boarding a ferry I coolly rolled aboard without too much bother. We then took up a position on the top deck and while crossing saw two dolphin or porpoise jumping in front of the boat.

Once off the ferry we trundled back to the campsite, had a nice meal and retied early. Next morning we were off south and I drove as far as Penrith where we said our good byes and I joined a quiet Pendolino for the journey back to MK.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
Thanks for that - brings back memories from years ago of travelling some of the same roads and ferry routes to get to/from Mull and Skye - and of how beautiful and peaceful Mull is.

I think I've toured the Highland and Islands five times overall (three times by train and bus, and once each by motorcycle and car) - it's just lovely when it's not raining and/or blowing half a gale, or alive with man-eating insects...;) (but it's the rain that keeps it green, like Ireland).

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I love it up there Rich. It's such a great area to tour with a van. The last time we were up there was about five years ago now and we stayed in a campsite (unusual for me), right on the beach at Arisaig (the same area that they filmed Local Hero).
The first couple of days were very bad weather wise and we'd taken a gazebo with us for extra covered space. One of the guys there who had a permanent caravan said that they all had a sweepstake on how long before the gazebo lifted off and landed on Skye.

It didn't even last the night. It turned inside out at about 1am like a giant umbrella.

We've a little Honda inflatable dingy which we took with us and we used it to explore some of the little islands just around the campsite and also we used it further up the coast around Morar. So beautiful.
On one of the days we did the Jacobite from Fort William to Mallaig and back behind a Black 5 and all week you could hear them echoing around the mountains as they climbed the banks. That was my fourth trip on it I think but probably the best because we were right behind the loco on the way back and you had to shout to each other to make yourself heard!

The midges though are a bit of a nightmare. I was up there one year camping somewhere near Loch Ness and an aunty of mine had recommended some kind of hand lotion that she reckoned midges hated. As I was sorting the bed out the midges were starting to gather and after having a quick trip to the loo in the bushes I thought I'd try some of the wonder repellent. It did the exact opposite of what I was expecting, I literally couldn't see a thing and was surrounded by clouds of the things. I chucked everything back in and raced away as quick as possible before finding a nice little B&B overlooking Loch Ness.
It was lucky I did really because it was only when I had a shower later that I discovered the three tics that had come along for the ride having decided to join me when I'd had the trip to toilet in the bushes.
It still makes me feel a bit green remembering it.

Looking forward to seeing your photos. I won't show you mine. :lol:

StarCrossing

Thanks for sharing Rich. It was an enjoyable read. I've just got back myself from a week visiting Coll, Colonsay, Islay and Arran. Mull is very nice though seems a lot busier now than it was a few years ago. I mostly used the bigger ferries, but also used MV Catriona (which I think is identical or very similar to Lochinvar), which was my first time on a hybrid. I was very impressed.

I also couldn't believe the fares. They're seriously cheap, for a foot passenger at least, on the shorter routes now RET pricing has been introduced.

I don't think MV Coruisk has ever been particularly nomadic in the summer months. She was built for Mallaig to Skye, and as far as I know has stayed there until last year when she moved to Mull. However, in the winter things are a bit different as the Skye route doesn't need a dedicated ship and the Oban to Mull route only needs one vessel.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I love it up there Rich. It's such a great area to tour with a van.

It is great - we are planning another trip but it might be next year now as we are quite busy plus the van has sprung a leak ( i think a seal has gone on the support stanchions for the awning so it needs to go back in for a repair)

Kath has done loads of the more distant islands with her diving ( lots of things have crashed into them!) but I would love to get up to Orkney or Lewis & Harris

On one of the days we did the Jacobite from Fort William to Mallaig and back behind a Black 5 and all week you could hear them echoing around the mountains as they climbed the banks. That was my fourth trip on it I think but probably the best because we were right behind the loco on the way back and you had to shout to each other to make yourself heard!

We want to do this journey as well so we need to sort ourselves out ;)

The midges though are a bit of a nightmare. I was up there one year camping somewhere near Loch Ness and an aunty of mine had recommended some kind of hand lotion that she reckoned midges hated. As I was sorting the bed out the midges were starting to gather and after having a quick trip to the loo in the bushes I thought I'd try some of the wonder repellent. It did the exact opposite of what I was expecting, I literally couldn't see a thing and was surrounded by clouds of the things. I chucked everything back in and raced away as quick as possible before finding a nice little B&B overlooking Loch Ness.

Avon Skin so soft came very highly recommend ( as used by Royal Marines!) however it seems they Avon changed the recipe and it now acts as an attractant rather than repellent. Think slat and vinegar on a bag of chips! Best stuff we found was Smidge but by then it was to late :(

Thanks for sharing Rich. It was an enjoyable read. I've just got back myself from a week visiting Coll, Colonsay, Islay and Arran. Mull is very nice though seems a lot busier now than it was a few years ago. I mostly used the bigger ferries, but also used MV Catriona (which I think is identical or very similar to Lochinvar), which was my first time on a hybrid. I was very impressed.

Yes the Catriona is the same as Lochinvar. Cal Mac have 3 of those hybrids. They seem pretty snazzy and very quick

I also couldn't believe the fares. They're seriously cheap, for a foot passenger at least, on the shorter routes now RET pricing has been introduced.

The fares are great for foot or bike passengers. IF Cal mac charged us right they are high for such a big van as ours but I think they are worth the money. In any event the whole operation must be vastly subsidised.

I don't think MV Coruisk has ever been particularly nomadic in the summer months. She was built for Mallaig to Skye, and as far as I know has stayed there until last year when she moved to Mull. However, in the winter things are a bit different as the Skye route doesn't need a dedicated ship and the Oban to Mull route only needs one vessel.

just going by what the staff said. The ferry we were on was down in the timetable for MV Coruisk but was swapped as there were 3 or 4 Shearings coaches to bring off Mull. The staff said the Coruisk wasn't as good, was "unlucky" ( it has crashed a few times) and was almost homeless until it came to the Oban run

I didn't say in my report that Oban seems to be a nexus for Cal Mac - they run from there to Mull, Colonsay, Lismore, Coll, Tiree, Barra, & South Uist

I think i might have developed a ferry obsession...............

Oban by DarloRich2009, on Flickr

Last edited:

les.

My brother and I were up that way recently.

I think of all the ferries we travelled on, our favourite, and possibly shortest, was the Glenelg to Kylerhea (Syke) ferry which is the last operating manual turntable ferry in the world.

It's definitely worth a trip but it does seem like an age to get to the terminal down the narrow, scenic winding road and you come to doubt that you're actually heading in the right direction!

http://www.glenelgscotland.com/skye-ferry.htm

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
A grand read -- fascinating to follow on the map; thanks. I envy you -- my visits to those parts, such as they've been, have been few and very fleeting. Would be off there again like a shot, given the funds !

Scott's poem about Lochinvar, as mentioned re the name of the ferry: one of several super-corny poems with generally swashbuckling Scottish settings, which have bedevilled generations of English schoolkids. Old Sir Walter was IMO, one of the all-time masters of sheer corn...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I think of all the ferries we travelled on, our favourite, and possibly shortest, was the Glenelg to Kylerhea (Syke) ferry which is the last operating manual turntable ferry in the world.

It's definitely worth a trip but it does seem like an age to get to the terminal down the narrow, scenic winding road and you come to doubt that you're actually heading in the right direction!

looks great - however I am not sure our van would fit on it! Love to give it a go mind.

A grand read -- fascinating to follow on the map; thanks. I envy you -- my visits to those parts, such as they've been, have been few and very fleeting. Would be off there again like a shot, given the funds !

The van ( once you have paid for the thing! <() is a cheap way to get about. Campsites are £12-£20 per night with electric, showers and toliets ( the pooh cupboard is really only for emergency/ early am usage ;) ) depending on the size and quality of the site. A tank of fuel is about £75.

The bonus with Scotland is that the law allows ( or at least turns a blind eye to - depending who you ask) wild camping in your van. We haven't really tried that yet but we can carry 60ltrs of water, have 2 batteries and solar so can live off grid for a while. We also carry two dumpy gas bottles and can cook on that gas or on the eletric.

Scott's poem about Lochinvar, as mentioned re the name of the ferry: one of several super-corny poems with generally swashbuckling Scottish settings, which have bedevilled generations of English schoolkids. Old Sir Walter was IMO, one of the all-time masters of sheer corn...

I think you need to be Scottish to understand Scott.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I've been on little ferry with a car and it's excellent. I don't think I'd try and get the van down there though. I could imagine ferry guys shaking their heads as I pulled up and then having to reverse five miles back up that lane :o.

As Rich said it's a great area for wild camping. Next time we go up I think we'll do mixture of the two. I thoroughly recommend the site at Arisaig though, sitting on the step of the van looking out at the islands of Eigg Muck and Rum with a beer in hand while the sun (if you're lucky) goes down. Bliss.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
...looking out at the islands of Eigg Muck and Rum with a beer in hand while the sun (if you're lucky) goes down. Bliss.

Those, and their neighbour Canna -- known as "the Cocktail Islands" :) ...

les.

Kinloch Castle on The Isle Of Rum is well worth a visit.

The guided tour is excellent with some great stories from the guide about it's colourful past, shall we say.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lovely photos, brings back great memories. I can't help feeling you should take the single wheel trim off the back wheel on the nearside and put it on the front wheel on your side though. :lol:
That's a nice van though I must say.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that DarloRich.

If you're planning another trip north, a friend of mine who lives in Carrbridge swears by Eigg. He's been a couple of times and loves it.

I've always wanted to go to Barra, and an island much further south called Gigha.

Veteran Member
Remember going from Corran Ferry to Kilchoan by bus around 1980, worried that we'd miss the ferry - even smaller and more landing-craft-like than yours, and the weather was dreadful for midsummer :(

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Great pics, and my goodness you had good weather. I've been on the A82 north of Tyndrum several times, but have never seen Beinn Dorain look like that. Indeed the day I walked up it (and 4 other Munros) a few years ago you could barely see 20metres in front.

IanD

Established Member
I've been on little ferry with a car and it's excellent. I don't think I'd try and get the van down there though. I could imagine ferry guys shaking their heads as I pulled up and then having to reverse five miles back up that lane :o.

Their website lists prices for minibuses.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lovely photos, brings back great memories. I can't help feeling you should take the single wheel trim off the back wheel on the nearside and put it on the front wheel on your side though. :lol:
That's a nice van though I must say.

it is for the wheellock when the van is parked up between trips - it wont grip on the trim.

Great pics, and my goodness you had good weather. I've been on the A82 north of Tyndrum several times, but have never seen Beinn Dorain look like that. Indeed the day I walked up it (and 4 other Munros) a few years ago you could barely see 20metres in front.

It wasn't all nice - the night we were overrun with midges was damp and murky with no wind. One of the days on Cumbrae was lost due to storms - but we were very lucky

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that DarloRich.

If you're planning another trip north, a friend of mine who lives in Carrbridge swears by Eigg. He's been a couple of times and loves it.

I've always wanted to go to Barra, and an island much further south called Gigha.

We are looking at the small isles but you need a permit for any vehicles. Barra is easy. You could do it by train (via Oban) and ferry. Gigha is also quite easy by road and ferry via Ardrossan. Kath has been to St Kilda diving which is pretty remote ;) ( They even went ashore)

I am actually a bit annoyed i didn't get to Iona . I will have to go back...........

ac6000cw

Established Member
I am actually a bit annoyed i didn't get to Iona . I will have to go back...........

It's a good excuse to visit Mull again :D (and yes, Iona is worth visiting, if only for the sense of 'miles from anywhere' isolation. Not that it's too difficult to find that in other parts of the Highlands, there is usually a road to 'nowhere in particular' not far away. Arriving at somewhere like Oban or Fort William after being 'in the wilds' is a bit of a culture shock...).

Essan

Great account - sounds like the locals treated you well. Apart from the midges. They're just furious I haven't been up to feed them yet this year!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've enjoyed reading this despite there being less trains than is normally the case. I find boats and ferries almost as interesting, though, so this has been a nice change. It sure does look like a great trip in a lovely part of the world.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
thanks for the kind comments - I was a bit hesitant about putting this up but thought it was a bit out of the ordinary and worth sharing

Great account - sounds like the locals treated you well. Apart from the midges. They're just furious I haven't been up to feed them yet this year!

Everyone visiting Scotland this year should be fine. They gorged on our blood! We both looked like we had small pox!

I've enjoyed reading this despite there being less trains than is normally the case. I find boats and ferries almost as interesting, though, so this has been a nice change. It sure does look like a great trip in a lovely part of the world.

As I said I think I might have developed an obsession.................

IanM

Thanks for your report, it was a great read, especially for those of us who love the Hebrides and its ferries.

IanM

looks great - however I am not sure our van would fit on it! Love to give it a go mind.
It would, easily, loads of room on deck and as you can see, when I took my Audi across it wasn't busy either.

Attachments

• 034a.jpg
    034a.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 17

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I also like the fact that you can get very close to lots of the ferries at the "terminals". You can get some really good pictures!

It would, easily, loads of room on deck and as you can see, when I took my Audi across it wasn't busy either.

we would fit on there no problem. Now where is that map...............

backontrack

Established Member
A lovely report! Thanks for that :D

Largs to Cumbrae probably is the shortest, though I had wondered about Oban to Lismore.

Shame you didn't get to explore more of Mull (or set foot on Iona). But then, there's so much you didn't get to do, of course (Coll, Tiree, Na h-Eileanan Siar, Skye and Raasay, The Small Isles, Kintyre, Cowal, Gigha, Colonsay, Jura and Islay (whisky!)), and that trip did seem like a nice, relaxed quick break without too much to take in. There is always a danger with these things of doing too much to enjoy yourself.

And obviously, there's the elephant in the room: money. Those fares? Dear oh dear.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
It's a good excuse to visit Mull again :D (and yes, Iona is worth visiting, if only for the sense of 'miles from anywhere' isolation. Not that it's too difficult to find that in other parts of the Highlands, there is usually a road to 'nowhere in particular' not far away. Arriving at somewhere like Oban or Fort William after being 'in the wilds' is a bit of a culture shock...).

Knoydart, for example. Or Glen Affric.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A bit late to the party reading this but I am delighted Darlo that you have published another Campervan exploit which I have really enjoyed. I also enjoy ferry and shipping discussion and have started a thread on the other public transport subforum on the subject, you would be a most welcome member of the family.

The midges are very bad this year and sorry you were bothered by them. I sadly can't see your photos but am told its wonderful up there.

Thanks yet again for including the human interest side including the exploits of your dog who just sounds loveley and of course Cath, not to mention the regular appearance of a good honest brew and bacon roll.

My parents tow a caravan and regularly make the crossing of the A66, I confess to worrying about them in the winter months doing it.

Thanks ever so much again.

Oh and also great to hear about all the tiny stations you and pooch explored, we read lots of reports of train and track bashing but none of the regular station baggers have got that far north yet

Status
Not open for further replies.