• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Island Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Thanks - so possible somewhere like the Scottish Highlands, but not much else!

Possibly also metro stations where you could have a staircase at each end of the platform.
If it's in a station box any canopy could be supported from the walls of the box.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Possibly also metro stations where you could have a staircase at each end of the platform.
If it's in a station box any canopy could be supported from the walls of the box.

Although end-loading the platforms is abysmal for passenger circulation in busier metro stations

alangla

I’d love to see an assessment of somewhere like Glasgow Central low level using the standards for new stations. The platforms are probably only about 1.5m wide at the eastern end, there’s obstructions the length of it in the middle, various dispatch points are look-back only (no CCTV or mirrors & platform staff don’t take part in dispatch) and it’s extremely busy, especially if there’s an event on at the SECC or Celtic are playing and it coincides with the PM peak.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Yeez that'd make it extremely claustrophobic at the narrowest point

That depends on the height of the PEDs. I believe the plan for the NTfL lines is to install PEDs which don't go all the way to the ceiling. On new lines like Crossrail the full separation of the tunnel and interior spaces is a desirable outcome since it simplifies airflow and fire/smoke handling. I don't believe it's possible to retrofit this to existing tunnels, so the PEDs only need to be tall enough for people.

While PEDs would obviously reduce the amount of open space, they could counter-intuitively make more room by encouraging people to use the full width of the platform when there's no train. Today passengers will be rightly afraid of walking too close to moving trains in case something bad happens. With PEDs, you'll be able to walk and wait as close to the platform edge as you like as you'll never fall through it.

The Glasgow Subway will be getting PEDs after the new trains replace the old ones, and before full UTO can start.

Metal_gee_man

That depends on the height of the PEDs. I believe the plan for the NTfL lines is to install PEDs which don't go all the way to the ceiling. On new lines like Crossrail the full separation of the tunnel and interior spaces is a desirable outcome since it simplifies airflow and fire/smoke handling. I don't believe it's possible to retrofit this to existing tunnels, so the PEDs only need to be tall enough for people.

While PEDs would obviously reduce the amount of open space, they could counter-intuitively make more room by encouraging people to use the full width of the platform when there's no train. Today passengers will be rightly afraid of walking too close to moving trains in case something bad happens. With PEDs, you'll be able to walk and wait as close to the platform edge as you like as you'll never fall through it.

The Glasgow Subway will be getting PEDs after the new trains replace the old ones, and before full UTO can start.

The only working example I can think of when I think Island platform with Doors is North Greenwich the two Stratford bound platforms are an island and i know they aren't full height but you do feel penned in when busy (The o2 Arena has just kicked out) but you are right people would use the whole length in at the Claphams if they felt safer behind glass

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The only working example I can think of when I think Island platform with Doors is North Greenwich the two Stratford bound platforms are an island and i know they aren't full height but you do feel penned in when busy (The o2 Arena has just kicked out) but you are right people would use the whole length in at the Claphams if they felt safer behind glass
Other JLE platforms are technically islands, but much wider. The JLE screen doors are tall enough to go above passengers' heads, but open above that unlike the Crossrail ones which go all the way to the ceiling because that's part of the ventilation/fire strategy. I think the previous poster was referring to half-height PEDs as seen on some of the Paris Metro - they are about the height of a ticket gate.

JBuchananGB

If I recall, South Bermondsey has a long narrow island platform, right next to Millwall Stadium. Was quite unpleasant when I was leaving a concert at the stadium with thousands of other poeple.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Although presumably you could put up a large canopy supported in the middle? Would that require the platform to be widened (say by 10cm if the canopy supports are 10cm in diameter)?

However, a 5.1m island isn't compliant with the PRM TSI specifically with regard to areas for boarding. You would also have to prove the width for pedestrian flow densities in the blazing train evacuation case; your canopy columns are not going to help that.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Other JLE platforms are technically islands, but much wider. The JLE screen doors are tall enough to go above passengers' heads, but open above that unlike the Crossrail ones which go all the way to the ceiling because that's part of the ventilation/fire strategy. I think the previous poster was referring to half-height PEDs as seen on some of the Paris Metro - they are about the height of a ticket gate.

And in any case such doors / gates would have to withstand full crowd loading as well as aerodynamic loading, both of which aren't easy to design on a platform edge. Also, they would need to be clear of passing trains, so are likely to be slightly set back from the current platform edge - there goes another 50mm off the width.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Although end-loading the platforms is abysmal for passenger circulation in busier metro stations

Well its potentially useful in mini-metro systems where the platform might only be ~40m long.

On Tyne & Wear Metro, Gateshead Stadium has very narrow platforms seperated for most of their length by the only access ramp & by the only steps. Poor for late1970's design.
Its on the core route with trains every 7mins outside evenings/Sundays.
International Stadium track will soon again attract international events when its current refurbishment is complete. Then crowd control may be needed as on system when Great North Run on.

Status
Not open for further replies.