• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Isle of Man Heritage Railway consultation

jamesr

As a former long term resident of the island, I’m hugely pleased to see the positive response from this report - it’s quite unusual for the island, where the lack of any system of political parties means issues such as the value of rail infrastructure is continually revisited by an unfocused government, leaving it always one report away from annihilation.

I agree with Tetchytyke - I see far more possibility for commuter service on the existing steam railway - the Douglas station is close to offices and no more than ten minutes from the shopping street. The stations in outlying towns are relatively central (Castletown is a bit far from the square, but actually close to a lot of the housing), and the travel times, even on the steam schedule are not all that different from the several-times-an-hour bus. But the road is busy, and rail would avoid queues into Douglas at busy times.

The report suggests two modern trains a day on the electric railway and proposes 88 passengers to make it viable - but this would need huge capital expense. Would people really be able to organise their working day around two trains each way a day? The existing terminus of the electric railway is nowhere near the town. Because of the ludicrous decision to leave the horse trams in the middle of the road when the prom was done up, any extension into the town down the horse tram lines would get stuck in the same traffic jam as the bus (even if it was technically possible to get an electric tram down there). I can’t see how the speeds would ever make this a viable commuting option.

Perhaps running a guaranteed horse tram connection before and after each tram for a summer and advertising this in the electric railway timetable (and advertising it to locals) might enable them to identify if there is any modal switch potential market for joining the routes. I confess my ‘rail enthusiasm’ didn’t extend to horse haulage, and despite owning a property within 100 yards of it, I’ve never actually been on one, partly because the timetable always seemed a bit vague!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Krokodil

Established Member
I confess my ‘rail enthusiasm’ didn’t extend to horse haulage, and despite owning a property within 100 yards of it, I’ve never actually been on one, partly because the timetable always seemed a bit vague!
It used to run every 20 minutes, didn't it? My family wanted to get a bus to our digs in Laxey when the car broke down on the way to Liverpool - I wouldn't hear of it, loaded the cases onto a horse tram and transferred them to the MER at Derby Castle.

Western 52

It used to run every 20 minutes, didn't it? My family wanted to get a bus to our digs in Laxey when the car broke down on the way to Liverpool - I wouldn't hear of it, loaded the cases onto a horse tram and transferred them to the MER at Derby Castle.
When I first used the horse tram in the 1980s, I think it ran more frequently than 3 per hour, maybe every 10 minutes.

I've also used it with lots of luggage from the Sea Terminal!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
When I first used the horse tram in the 1980s, I think it ran more frequently than 3 per hour, maybe every 10 minutes.
I think it used to, especially at TT.

Even if it makes it back to the Sea Terminal you won't see frequencies like that anymore, because (if it ever gets rebuilt) it will only be single track from the bottom of Broadway to the Bottleneck.

MarkyT

Established Member
I think it used to, especially at TT.

Even if it makes it back to the Sea Terminal you won't see frequencies like that anymore, because (if it ever gets rebuilt) it will only be single track from the bottom of Broadway to the Bottleneck.
A short second track at the terminus could allow a tram to depart the sea terminal as soon as another incoming one cleared the single line. Do we know what the expected running time to where the double track starts is? What was it historically? If the single line is just a spur then the minimum interval is double the one way time on the single line plus loading, other horse turnround duties, and I assume they like to give the beast a little rest between trips and a drink. With a two-track terminus, at peak times at least they could have the other tram all loaded, rested, watered and ready to go.

John Luxton

Established Member
A short second track at the terminus could allow a tram to depart the sea terminal as soon as another incoming one cleared the single line. Do we know what the expected running time to where the double track starts is? What was it historically? If the single line is just a spur then the minimum interval is double the one way time on the single line plus loading, other horse turnround duties, and I assume they like to give the beast a little rest between trips and a drink. With a two-track terminus, at peak times at least they could have the other tram all loaded, rested, watered and ready to go.
The horses usually get a drink or treat at Derby Castle. At the other end it is usually passenger treats which are recommended to be Polo mints or so I was told. There are no drinking facilities at the southern end either the Sea Terminal as was or the current terminal at Broadway.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
A short second track at the terminus could allow a tram to depart the sea terminal as soon as another incoming one cleared the single line. Do we know what the expected running time to where the double track starts is?
Running time would be 10-15 minutes, so with a half-hourly service the trams could cross at Broadway. The last couple of years it’s been a half-hourly service with one tram in service for most of the season, with a 15-minute service on Saturdays in August and two trams in service.

I think the plan is to have two reception lines at the terminus at the Bottleneck, though whether it will ever get built is probably a bigger question.

They really did wazz a heck of a lot of money up the wall on the promenade refurbishment/destruction.