• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues at Stafford - 2023/08/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertsN

Seems like a lot of disruption going on in Stafford this afternoon (Aug 22nd '23).

According to the National Rail website there are 2 issues:
* A train hitting an object
* An operational incident

It does appear that most/all trains are using platform 3 (with 1U38 stuck/held in platform 1).

Does anyone know what's going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm guessing the operational incident is this train stopped randomly not near a signal, lots of gents in orange behind it 300m south of Stafford on Trent Valley jn.

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_200113.jpg
    IMG_20230822_200113.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20230822_200134.jpg
    IMG_20230822_200134.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 266

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I briefly mentioned about these incidents on the thread about today's disruption between Penrith and Carlisle to save creating a new thread.

"It's certainly been a bad day for Avanti today. Aside from the above, there was a trespass incident in the Coventry area, a WMR had issues with it hitting branches and subsequently being reported to have smoke coming from it between Crewe and Stafford. Also an operational incident involving a light engine passing a red signal near Stafford."

Boodiggy

No fatality.
SPAD.
1U38 not related - hit a branch

I briefly mentioned about these incidents on the thread about today's disruption between Penrith and Carlisle to save creating a new thread.

"It's certainly been a bad day for Avanti today. Aside from the above, there was a trespass incident in the Coventry area, a WMR had issues with it hitting branches and subsequently being reported to have smoke coming from it between Crewe and Stafford. Also an operational incident involving a light engine passing a red signal near Stafford."
All reported correctly. Bad day for WCML. Bad week really

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The class 90 in the dirt must be normal then?
That wasn't at Crewe, which is what you stated. I repeat, both of the statements you said in the earlier post I'm referring to are completely wrong.

Why are the Brum to Scotland trains going via Tamworth?
To avoid the section where the operational incident occurred near Stafford. (not Crewe as someone else stated).

Some trains have also diverted between Crewe and Colwich via Stoke, Stone and Hixon to avoid Stafford completely.

train_lover

That wasn't at Crewe, which is what you stated. I repeat, both of the statements you said in the earlier post I'm referring to are completely wrong
I wouldn't say completely wrong..I'm currently stuck in a long line of trains in the area. Its the information that was given to me by people in the know.

AndrewE

Established Member
Neither of those statements are accurate.
so tell us (in politically-correct speak) what the truth is then! There are clearly at least 2 incidents which are causing major disruption which the travelling public (and the rest of us) are entilted to know about. Public infrastructure, publicly-funded "TOCs," no excuse for hiding what has actually happened.

Ibex

so tell us (in politically-correct speak) what the truth is then! There are clearly at least 2 incidents which are causing major disruption which the travelling public (and the rest of us) are entilted to know about. Public infrastructure, publicly-funded "TOCs," no excuse for hiding what has actually happened.
0Z70 has passed a signal at danger at Stafford Trent Valley No.1 Junction and 1U38 has struck some remnants of a tree and sustained some faults.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I wouldn't say completely wrong..I'm currently stuck in a long line of trains in the area. Its the information that was given to me by people in the know.
Well seeing neither of the statements you made were accurate, you've been given wrong information.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I've already stated earlier in this thread.
The majority of information here is correct, but clearly the post I quoted is wrong, hence me pointing it out. (Was there a fatality at Stafford? No.
Was there an operational incident at Crewe? No.)

I'll be sure to tell the signaller..
Excellent...

Wiganlad

So what happened here?

Attachments

• IMG_4246.png
    IMG_4246.png
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Ibex

Got to New Street as it was kicking off at Stafford, only route open was to and from the Trent Valley for a fair while. Went back to Rugby, diverted via the Trent Valley (and called additionally at Tamworth). Terminated at Preston eventually, presumably a Preston crewed service with the crew needing to get back there.

AndrewE

Established Member
0Z70 has passed a signal at danger at Stafford Trent Valley No.1 Junction and 1U38 has struck some remnants of a tree and sustained some faults.
So is this consistent with the NR page which says
An operational incident between Stafford and Crewe means all lines are blocked.

Ibex

So is this consistent with the NR page which says
Mate I'm giving you a fact. What's with all the conspiracy theories in this thread? Half the people on this forum are staff and will just say what's happened...

RobertsN

Simply the facts that neither a fatality occurred at Stafford, nor did an operational incident occur at Crewe.
If it is as mentioned above that 0Z70 SPADded, then there was an operational incident.
BTW, not meaning to pry or elicit any information that shouldn't be divulged. I was just surprised by the stack (at times of 12 passenger trains) held outside Stafford.
Either 1U38 hitting some tree remnants or 0Z70 SPADing, in itself would be an issue.

Wiganlad

Got to New Street as it was kicking off at Stafford, only route open was to and from the Trent Valley for a fair while. Went back to Rugby, diverted via the Trent Valley (and called additionally at Tamworth). Terminated at Preston eventually, presumably a Preston crewed service with the crew needing to get back there.
I thought they had got the thunderbirds out of retirement

D1511

Perhaps the class 90 has mangled some points after passing its red signal......just sayin' o_O

RobertsN

I was just (let's say) surprised that only P3 was available to any traffic (it appears P5 and P6 weren't available to be used).
If 0Z70 SPADded signal 5575, I guess it should've probably stopped before 5583, so I don't get why P4/5/6 weren't available for southbounds).

Boodiggy

I was just (let's say) surprised that only P3 was available to any traffic (it appears P5 and P6 weren't available to be used).
If 0Z70 SPADded signal 5575, I guess it should've probably stopped before 5583, so I don't get why P4/5/6 weren't available for southbounds).
Couldn’t get to P5/6 because of loco involved in incident

P1 occupied by U38 that hit the branch

So P3 on one available for stoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.