• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues with Castlefield corridor 09/12/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
On Traksy, signallers have put "NOGO" on both lines from Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly, and BTET in Manchester Picc P13.
I'm on a service that has incurred significant delays, I wondering what has happened if anyone knows.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Established Member
Overhead wires are down

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road all lines are blocked.

How does it affect your service:
Disruption is expected until 20:00 09/12.

Our advice to our customers:
Services between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road are currently being impacted due to damage to the overhead electric wires.

Effect on service:
Our services on the following routes will be disrupted...
Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North
Manchester Piccadilly to Barrow-in-Furness and Windermere
Manchester Airport to Liverpool Lime Street
Due to the location of this disruption, this will impact all Northern services to/from Manchester stations.
Network Rail are on site now and are attempting to resolve the issue, once we have an update on time-scales, this message will be updated.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Overhead wires are down

Fun! Any idea when the dewirement happened?

northwichcat

Established Member
Looks like a Northern train to Blackpool North departed Piccadilly at 17:34 and got through successfully, while the 17:37 service to Liverpool (that was 5 minutes behind schedule) appears to still be at Piccadilly.

northwichcat

Established Member
Have seen a video taken from P14 at Picc looking towards Oxford Road. Only a 5 second one but can see a small fire and a lot of sparking....

Apparently an object blew on to the overhead wires and a similar incident has already occured between Liverpool and Wigan, with rail replacement buses having already been sent there. That might limit the availability of them for the Manchester issue.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Have seen a video taken from P14 at Picc looking towards Oxford Road. Only a 5 second one but can see a small fire and a lot of sparking....
View attachment 148134
Ah great. At least trains are still running to Vic from the North.

Apparently an object blew on to the overhead wires and a similar incident has already occured between Liverpool and Wigan, with rail replacement buses having already been sent there. That might limit the availability of them for the Manchester issue.
Not surprised, very high winds across the North West this evening.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
On a related topic
For anyone in Manchester City centre this evening, please note Metrolink is distrupted in the City Zone.
Outside should be OK, but scaffolding has collided with the overhead wires at Market St stop.
This also means the section of Market St connecting Picc Gardens and Market St/High St has been cordoned off by the fire and rescue services.

Not great. Very busy here at Piccadilly, but trains are leaving from the main shed.

northwichcat

Established Member
Northern now saying DO NOT TRAVEL unless essential.

Looks like the Norwich-Liverpool service stopped at platform 14 has started it's return journey short. The TfW unit at Manchester Airport headed up to platform 14 and started the delayed 19:30 to Cardiff from there, with the train from Carmarthen going into platform 12.

GordonT

Northern's social media desk finished at 5.45pm instead of 10pm this evening despite significant disruption in at least 4 different locations on their patch.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Northern now saying DO NOT TRAVEL unless essential.

Looks like the Norwich-Liverpool service stopped at platform 14 has started it's return journey short. The TfW unit at Manchester Airport headed up to platform 14 and started the delayed 19:30 to Cardiff from there, with the train from Carmarthen going into platform 12.
As usual for them then.
Trains do seem to be running from either side of the incident between Picc and Oxford Road.

M60lad

Out of interest have EMR got anything stuck the wrong side of the blockade and if so any idea of how anything will get back to Nottingham as unlike TPE EMR don't sign anything other than Oxford Road-Piccadilly do they?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Out of interest have EMR got anything stuck the wrong side of the blockade and if so any idea of how anything will get back to Nottingham as unlike TPE EMR don't sign anything other than Oxford Road-Piccadilly do they?
Northern can perhaps route conduct as most of their services have been caped,no?

From Traksy, looks like P14 has just reopened.

_toommm_

Established Member
Currently stuck in Crewe because of this. Kicked off the TfW earlier as that was terminating at Wilmslow, with the idea from traincrew that somehow an electric Pendolino would get through to Manchester when a TfW DMU couldn’t.

I was hopeful I might make the one running train to Leeds tonight at 22:57 but that’s now been cancelled.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Currently stuck in Crewe because of this. Kicked off the TfW earlier as that was terminating at Wilmslow, with the idea from traincrew that somehow an electric Pendolino would get through to Manchester when a TfW DMU couldn’t.

I was hopeful I might make the one running train to Leeds tonight at 22:57 but that’s now been cancelled.
Taxi from Crewe off TfW?

Rail Quest

On a related topic
For anyone in Manchester City centre this evening, please note Metrolink is distrupted in the City Zone.
Outside should be OK, but scaffolding has collided with the overhead wires at Market St stop.
This also means the section of Market St connecting Picc Gardens and Market St/High St has been cordoned off by the fire and rescue services.

Not great. Very busy here at Piccadilly, but trains are leaving from the main shed.
I was originally planning on heading back into Manchester in the evening when the 50s were passing through - very glad I didn't!!

AMD

Tree down on the overheads between Piccadilly and Oxford Road.
Along with trees at St Helens Central, Hebden Bridge, New Pudsey; flooding around Harrogate and Buxton lines and points failure at Blackburn.
Add in various shoratges of staff and now substantial displacement of the staff that are in, it's a bit of a mess having been through Manchester this evening.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Along with trees at St Helens Central, Hebden Bridge, New Pudsey; flooding around Harrogate and Buxton lines and points failure at Blackburn.
Add in various shoratges of staff and now substantial displacement of the staff that are in, it's a bit of a mess having been through Manchester this evening.
And probsbly not helped by TP omitting booked stops at Newton Le Willows & Lea Green (according to RTT) of a Newcastle to Liverpool service, despite all their later services to Liverpool being cancelled....

Also according to RTT,
15:53 Wigan NW- Liverpool terminated at Thatto Heath. Later services via St. Helens Central either cancelled or diverted via St. Helens Junction.

17:00 Liverpool - Manchesterr Airport terminated at Eccles; returned to Liverpool (20 mins. late) in lieu of cancelled 18:32 from Manchester Airport to Liverpool.

Looks like I was lucky not to stay until today's closure time of the Manchester Model Railway Show.

_toommm_

Established Member
Taxi from Crewe off TfW?

Got one organised from Piccadilly to Leeds. Despite the (inevitable) chaos at Piccadilly, the Network Rail and TPE staff I’ve spoke to at Piccadilly have been so so helpful. It won’t be an easy night, but I’ll certainly be writing in to thank them all personally.

northwichcat

Established Member

Presumably the delayed 16:50 Cardiff to Manchester that terminated at Wilmslow 28 minutes late?

Looks like they should have told you to alight at Wilmslow, as the 20:36 Alderley Edge to Manchester ran albeit delayed.

I don't know why someone thought saying alight at Crewe was a good idea - unless Avanti diverted via Warrington, they would have called at Wilmslow anyway!

flooding around Harrogate and Buxton lines and points failure at Blackburn.

Transport operators are optimistic about what bases at Buxton can cover, when it's in a remote place with it's own microclimate. I think guards based there are needed for services to Preston and Chester, while High Peak Buses used to operate as far out as Knutsford from their depot at Doves Holes. The latter doesn't happen now and I think the worse that can happen with them is a Manchester Airport-Stockport return working doesn't operate because it's interworked with services continuing to Buxton.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
I read that, is there a tree big enough to fall on the OLE in that area?
Before I clicked post, I checked out a Don Coffey video... blimey, there's quite a few!

Established Member
Two in the 'Vimto' park and one next to the Ibis hotel.

I think it was the Willow in the Vimto park which did it. Was really windy here yesterday.

_toommm_

Established Member
Presumably the delayed 16:50 Cardiff to Manchester that terminated at Wilmslow 28 minutes late?
Looks like they should have told you to alight at Wilmslow, as the 20:36 Alderley Edge to Manchester ran albeit delayed.

I don't know why someone thought saying alight at Crewe was a good idea - unless Avanti diverted via Warrington, they would have called at Wilmslow anyway!

It was this one.

Passengers for Stockport and Manchester were advised to alight at Crewe, and we got the 21:10 Avanti which terminated at Stockport in the end. A short wait for the service from Hazel Grove to Manchester, then a two-hour wait for a taxi back to Leeds.

CHAPS2034

Some real horror stories last night, but no reports of anyone trying to self evacuate, Presumably the trains held still had power.

This seems one of the worst. 2A22, the Lime Street to Manchester Airport stopper left Lime St RT. Arrived 4L at Earlestown where it was held and left 73L. Dropped a couple more minutes by Ordsall Junct and then was held before passing Deansgate 189 late. So near but yet so far...

Another was 1L17 ex Lime St dep 1752 1L and had got to Castlefield Jct 21L but finally arrived at Oxford Rd 175L. Train terminated at Piccadilly 183L

As well as the marooned unit south of Piccadilly I noticed something going on at Slade Lane. For a while, it seems all down trains from Stockport were routed onto the down slow through the junction before regaining the down fast at the next crossover not far along towards Piccadilly, rather than crossing from the down lines straight onto the down fast. Down trains were being held in the platforms in Stockport until they could get a path through here and presumably a free platform at Piccadilly.

Northern did not give up on their trains south from Pic through Stockport and still ran many of their trains, albeit well late, as it was the usual very busy pre Christmas Saturday despite the weather. 6 cars on Stoke stoppers as is usual at this time of year and at least one late night departure to Crewe via Stockport was also 6 car.

So well done to Northern for trying to clear as much of the backlog as possible with units and crews out of position on what must have been a very trying day.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Transport operators are optimistic about what bases at Buxton can cover, when it's in a remote place with it's own microclimate. I think guards based there are needed for services to Preston and Chester, while High Peak Buses used to operate as far out as Knutsford from their depot at Doves Holes. The latter doesn't happen now and I think the worse that can happen with them is a Manchester Airport-Stockport return working doesn't operate because it's interworked with services continuing to Buxton.
Tbf, High Peak Buses are pretty resilient because the drivers are local and know how to deal with the extreme weather in the High Peak.
It's very rare that they miss a journey out of choice, their sister company D and G are much more unreliable in my experience.
Northern need to reevaluate their guard base choices if they are expecting to cover services on the Mid-Cheshire from Buxton though, with the vulnerability of the rail infrastructure to damage.

Got one organised from Piccadilly to Leeds. Despite the (inevitable) chaos at Piccadilly, the Network Rail and TPE staff I’ve spoke to at Piccadilly have been so so helpful. It won’t be an easy night, but I’ll certainly be writing in to thank them all personally.
Yes, they've been very helpful before when I've needed assistance. I'm glad you ended up at your destination, I managed to get into Buxton 2.5 hours late to work....

Status
Not open for further replies.