• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Issues with credit card chargebacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...nd-a-gwr-mobile-e-ticket.174322/#post-3781030

I have 2 issues with chagrgebacks. First off the bank does not always understand why you are entitled to do it so may decide not to take it any further or they might say you do not have enough evidence. Secondly, for transactions under £30 often the bank will just refund this themselves from their own funds and the retailer gets to keep their money.

ForTheLoveOf can I ask which bank you do chargebacks with? I ask this because you seem to be very successful at this and your bank sounds very understanding. If so, I may look into banking with them too. I do worry about having too many chargebacks on my account though and if this might mean they don't take future cases seriously or are less likely to rule in my favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have 2 issues with chagrgebacks. First off the bank does not always understand why you are entitled to do it so may decide not to take it any further or they might say you do not have enough evidence. Secondly, for transactions under £30 often the bank will just refund this themselves from their own funds and the retailer gets to keep their money.

ForTheLoveOf can I ask which bank you do chargebacks with? I ask this because you seem to be very successful at this and your bank sounds very understanding. If so, I may look into banking with them too. I do worry about having too many chargebacks on my account though and if this might mean they don't take future cases seriously or are less likely to rule in my favor.
The case can proceed to Visa/MasterCard scheme arbitration; the bank's initial decision is not final.

I don't think any one bank is more 'successful' than another in terms of chargeback rates, and if they decide to pay a claim out of their own money that is their own issue, really. I wouldn't be worried about having 'too many' claims on your account either - I think you would have to be making claims on a considerable proportion of your transactions for it to cause any issue.

At the end of the day, a chargeback is a means to an end, namely getting your money back; if it doesn't succeed, there are still plenty of other avenues.

gray1404

Established Member
Didn't know that Visa scheme arbitration was allowed to happen even if the bank says no. I am currently in a situation where the bank are telling me they cannot do a charge back because I do not have enough supporting documentation, despite the fact I have provided them with a detailed account. The bank are refusing to take it further. So, can I get back in touch with them and insist that it goes to arbitration by Visa? I asked them if they had raised the chargeback case formally with the retailer or/and sent anything to Visa and they said no, we can't due to the lack of evidence. Is there a reason why the bank way wish to avoid either of these actions?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Didn't know that Visa scheme arbitration was allowed to happen even if the bank says no. I am currently in a situation where the bank are telling me they cannot do a charge back because I do not have enough supporting documentation, despite the fact I have provided them with a detailed account. The bank are refusing to take it further. So, can I get back in touch with them and insist that it goes to arbitration by Visa? I asked them if they had raised the chargeback case formally with the retailer or/and sent anything to Visa and they said no, we can't due to the lack of evidence. Is there a reason why the bank way wish to avoid either of these actions?
Laziness, in a word! I would initiate a formal complaint. This can be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman if necessary.

gray1404

Established Member
Sorry I wasn't clear, this is what they told me in response to a formal complaint that I made. I made the formal complaint because they refused to take it any further at the stage before.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In that case, assuming you have a 'letter of deadlock' from the complaint, or you submitted your complaint more than 8 weeks ago, you are entitled to take the matter to the Ombudsman. Costs you nothing, but could result in you getting the money you owe.

Status
Not open for further replies.