• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[IT] Rome: Metro Line C

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Ciao,

a trip to Rome gave the chance to take a look at the new Metro Line C

Metro C

The line went into service end of last year. Right now it has no connection to the networks other two line and does not extend to downton Rome. The connection will follow in subsequent extensions in the upcoming years.
Getting to the current starting point required a 20 minute ride on the Roma-Giardinetti lgiht rail from Romes Central station

Services on the line run from 5:30 to 18:30 with 12 minute headways between trains. When I rode the line there were not much passengers using it - I never had the share the train with more than 10 other passengers (quite a change compared to usually crowded lines A and B ;))

The line is fully automated therefore all stations have platform doors. A ride from one end of the line to the other takes about 30 minutes
xxcento_bahnsteig6lfen.jpg

xxbahnsteig2vvenr.jpg

The trains where built by AnsaldoBreda and look relatively uninspired
xxzug_innen111dyp.jpg

Information screens and voice announcement offer informations of Italian and Englisch
xxzug_anzeige6zexi.jpg

As there is no train operator present, the ride can enjoy the cab view
xxzug_spitze1a3ew5.jpg

Power supply to the trains is done using an overhead power line.
xxzug_strecke1k2dii.jpg

xxstrecke61qcxd.jpg

xxzug_gegenverkehrpxf1e.jpg

"Grotte Celoni" station has several tracks an platforms. When the line is completed some trains from downtown will terminate here
xxviele_gleise3c5ei5.jpg

Platform with tracks on both sides
xxviele_gleise44ciio.jpg

A train heading to "Pantano"
xxviele_gleise2y3cj2.jpg

xxviele_gleise54lehf.jpg

Dusk at "Grotte Celoni"
xxviele_gleise14ec11.jpg

The line runs mostly above ground. Most of tracks are covered with constructions like this one. Looks pretty nice when it gets dark
xxstrecke1c9i88.jpg

Tail tracks at "Pantano"
xxwendeanlage97ftp.jpg

xxwendeanlage2r6i5q.jpg

A train leaves Pantano heading to Rome
xxstrecke4fairo.jpg

Rail Mix

Now, some mixed pictures from other rail and metro lines

A train of line B approaching "Ponte Mammolo"
xxb_mammolo50ci1.jpg

Line A is completely underground, except for one section between "Lepanto" and "Flaminio". It gets into daylight there to cross the Tiber rivre
xxa_openair3vcfj.jpg

The statue can be found on a platform at "Piramide" station of line B. The blue doors in the back leads to a little chapel dedicated to Philip Neri.
xxb_statue_kappeleq4d2o.jpg

ATAC which runs the metro is also in charge of a commuter rail line to Viterbo. The terminal is located near "Flaminio" metro station. It has only two tracks
xxviterbo6b2d23.jpg

xxviterbo554dcf.jpg

After leaving the station the trains run in tunnel and return into daylight near "Acqua Acetosa" station

A train heading to "Flaminio"
xxviterbo1ayd2i.jpg

"Acqua Acetosa" station building
xxviterbo4kwfo3.jpg

Next to the station there is a train depot. This trains leaves to depot to enter service for evening rush hour
xxviterbo2lkcuy.jpg

Trenitalia runs several suburban rail lines: FL3 is one of the. A train leaves "Valle Aurelia". In the foreground a unused rail viaduct
xxvalle15wi02.jpg

xxvalle2tkcva.jpg

NTV - A private competitor of Trenitalia at "Ostiense" station
xxntvijcs8.jpg

The architecture of "Tiburtina" is special ;).
xxtiburtina247dza.jpg

xxtiburtina1b9ffr.jpg

A like this ad by Trenitalia promoting its high speed train network
xxwerbungr7fb3.jpg

Trivia

Enough rail for now, apart from train spotting I did some sight seeing too

Worth the entrance fee and climbing 550 steps: The view from the dome of St. Peter
xxkuppel2zmctd.jpg

xxkuppel3mqd3j.jpg

xxkuppel1aofz7.jpg

Zoom in on the Vatican train station
xxkuppel4opdn9.jpg

The way up the dome might not be for everybody
xxkuppel_weg236fzq.jpg

xxkuppel_weg11ndn9.jpg

View from Villa Borghese to San Peter at sunset
xxvilla13vfik.jpg

You might spot it from almost anywhere: The Altare della Patria (Altar of the Fatherland) at Piazza Venezia.
xxvilla2bwe6n.jpg

It presides over the evening rush traffic chaos
xxveneziax7i8i.jpg

The church that is a bit different: San Stephano Rotondo
xxrotondojrc9c.jpg

Really nice to look at: The illuminated fountain at Piazza Navona
xxnavona2rhi01.jpg

xxnavona179cgq.jpg

Apart from the Sixtine Chapel my highlight in the Vatican Museums: The Map Room. Along on the walls maps of several corner of Italy painted in an amazingly detailed way plus a great coffering on the cealing
xxkartenf5f77.jpg

The church "San Leone Magno" is the titular church of Cardinal Lehmann (bishop of Mainz). These modern windows have a nice touch
xxlehmann13yfbd.jpg

xxlehmann2dcf71.jpg

Looks like a painting, but in reality it is a mosaic: The Apsis of Santa Maria in Domnica
xxmosaikb0isd.jpg

As usual the holiday passed far to fast. Rome is really worth a visit.

Ciao
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Fantastic photo's. Italy is a beautiful country, and Rome a great city.

You say the new line was quiet, but one of the pictures shows the time to be 16:26 which is the end of siesta time which could explain it? Or is it just a vanity project?

I really should explore more of Italy by rail- the only line I use is the Italian equivalent of the Cumbrian Coast; the line between Siderno and Regio Calabria which has the Italian equivalent of a 153 on it;

ALn663-1011_001.jpg

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Thanks. I used Valle Aurelia station (on the Viterbo FS line) while staying in the area last year. I think the viaduct in the foreground is the original route, but it's not shown on the S&W atlas
In the tunnel north of the station there is a connection to the unfinished Northern ring line, which has an impressive and unused concrete viaduct of similar vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.