• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Italian sleeper tickets via Italia Rail?

JGurney

I have been trying to book on one of the sleepers running from Bari to Milan in early August, and had been using the ItaliaRail website.

Until two days ago ItaliaRail had been showing these journeys available for booking up to the 31st July, so I though it was just a matter of keeping looking until the August bookings became available. However as of two days ago, ItaliaRail stopped showing any overnight bookings being available for this route from mid-April onwards. That made me wonder if ItaliaRail had stopped handling sleeper bookings at all. I have just looked on the Trenitalia website and found that there the Bari - Milan sleepers are available to book, but still up to 31st July only.

Can any knowledgeable person give any insight into why the sleepers seem to have vanished from ItaliaRail? Presumably it is safer to keep checking on Trenitalia rather than ItaliaRail until the tickets do appear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

No idea... depending on what you want to book, you can also use raileurope.com (desktop website only).

Edit: I was assuming Interrail reservations; for regular tickets, just use trenitalia.com.

Last edited:

nwales58

Foggia-Pescara (nearly) is closed for engineering work with bus replacement Monday-Friday 08-12/04 and 14-19/04 (it gets in the way of something I have planned). Blocking bookings later in the year could be because there will be further closures so timings only certain closer to the date.

During the April closures the two sleeper trains still run but with massively longer times, presumably via Caserta, serving Foggia and points south. So I imagine the sleepers will still run in August but times unknown. Of course once bookings open they may fill rapidly as it's summer.

Benevento-Foggia was another complication, completely closed by a landslide with bus substitution (locals are buses for another reason) but trenitalia.it says reopening on 08/04.

For current disruptions see:

PS Metaponto-Sibari shows no trains after 08/06/2024 on trenitalia's web site.

Anyone know whether that is the start of the long term closure for upgrading, and the end of the Taranto-Reggio diesel-hauled IC, or other uncertainty?

Last edited:

JGurney

An update - the sleeper (Intercity Notte) tickets have reappeared on Italia Rail so presumably it was just some temporary glitch. They are not yet available for dates in August.