• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ivanhoe (Leicester-Burton') reopen call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugd1022

Oxford - Leamington - Coventry - Nuneaton is being wired as part of the electric spine but there are still the capacity constraints in crossing Coventry on the level. But with the new north chord at Nuneaton (does much traffic use this yet?) you'd then have an alternative electrified route from the WCML to Southampton (via Bedford), if Nuneaton to Wigston were to be wired also that is.

Also I'd have thought there should be some capacity between Birmingham and Nuneaton now that Daw Mill has closed.

Our HH traffic from Bardon Hill to Crewe often uses the new chord at Nuneaton, it saves no end of time / messing about trying to get across the WCML... 30mph off the Leicester line then 50 down onto the WCML where it trails into the Down Slow ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james60059

But with the new north chord at Nuneaton (does much traffic use this yet?).

In short not much, just been the odd GBRf modal to Trafford Park before it went over to 92-haulage, and I think the Middleton Towers - Ellesmere Port mobile desert.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Our HH traffic from Bardon Hill to Crewe often uses the new chord at Nuneaton, it saves no end of time / messing about trying to get across the WCML... 30mph off the Leicester line then 50 down onto the WCML where it trails into the Down Slow ;)

Every time I've been at Nuneaton, they've come in through 5 and crossed the mainline on the level at the North End of the station. I remember one occasion a pendolino got checked at the station 5 minutes BEFORE the train appeared from the Leicester direction came straight through and crossed over then carried on :lol:. Bet Branson would have had had kittens if he'd seen it; one of his pendo's being stopped for 70003 and a rake IOA's :D

And if it does come to a derailment every extra mph increases the risk of a tragedy rather than an embarrassment.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of that myself..!

Even if it were possible to do 50mph down the bank from Bagworth Jcn, us freight chappies would still have to stop at the ground frame end of the yard at Bardon to pick up the radio from the shunter so we can back our empties in...!

If you're wondering how bad the subsidence is at Bagworth have a butcher's at this pic I took a few years back...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4382296893/in/set-72157606853423254

;)

The train would surely derail at 50mph especially a EMT 158

Anyway I thought the section north of Coalville was the worst state towards Burton, EMT said that they could run passenger services to Coalville at little cost

Another thing I have noticed that it takes a freight train around 1 hour from Mantle Lane to Leics

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Leicestershire County Council have always been against phase 2, it'll not get built until a decent set of councillors are installed or a completely independant report is commissioned into the route.

You just need to look at the estimated passenger figures to see that its all out of kilter. Less than 50,000 journeys to/from Coalville? Double it as a minimum, even triple it, and you're gonna be a lot closer to what the figures are like, if you look at most of the stations you can say the same for them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.