• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

J27 65894 location please (1969)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogercov

Hi. I'm trying to pinpoint the location of 65894 in these pictures (taken by me). I have scanned them from colour slides, so the quality isn't perfect.
The date was 11th April 1969 (or possibly one day either side). I understand that this may have been the day this loco went to Thornaby via Newcastle following restoration but before it went to the NYMR.
I believe the location is somewhere East of Newcastle. It appears to be a working passenger line as there's a DMU in one of the pictures. There is also a signal box, sidings, footbridges, pylons and houses, which should give a clue to anyone who is familiar with the area.
Any help appreciated, including where it started its journey that day - Tyne Dock maybe?
Thanks

Update: Possibly Pelaw but a lot has changed there since this was taken. If so, it's going the wrong way for Thornaby.

Attachments

• img149.jpg
    img149.jpg
    845.7 KB · Views: 72
  • img148.jpg
    img148.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
I thought a steam ban was in force on BR metals in 1969 (except for Flying Scotsman), which included LE movements!

Edit - It was allowed to breach the ban, and ran down the Durham Coast to Thornaby under it’s own steam in April 1969.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
Was the rear of the tender painted white of light grey to aid visibility? Potentially a requirement of going out light on BR metals?
According to the Railway Observer, 65894 left N.C.B Philadelphia on 11th April 1969 under it’s own steam for Thornaby, via Pelaw and Sunderland. This could have involved some tender first running, maybe on the Leamside line with a reversal at Pelaw, or it could have run normal to Newcastle and used the High Level and King Edward bridges to reverse!

Last edited:

rogercov

The SB is very distinctive and my thought was Pelaw (looking East), the photo taken from the footpath next to the siding.
Thank you for the very helpful comments. It was indeed Pelaw. The closest row of 4 houses in the first picture are still there and can be identified on Google street View.

According to the Railway Observer, 65894 left N.C.B Philadelphia on 11th April 1969 under it’s own steam for Thornaby, via Pelaw and Sunderland. This could have involved some tender first running, maybe on the Leamside line with a reversal at Pelaw, or it could have run normal to Newcastle and used the High Level and King Edward bridges to reverse!
Thanks for confirmation of the date. According to "preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com", it "steamed through Newcastle Central and down the east coast". This would imply that it went round the loop at Newcastle to avoid having to reverse.

It was quite by chance that I managed to get the photo. We were visiting the Newcastle area and saw the steam from the main road. The loco must have been stationary at the time as we had time to park the car and investigate. It was slowly pulling away when the photos were taken.

I wonder if anyone can identify the young photographer on the opposite side in the second picture. Perhaps he's one of the veteran members on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.