• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jacobite 2010 Photo Locations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

grh

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some good locations to photograph this years Jacobite between Fort William & Malliag during late June/Early July.

Never been there before, but looking to visit soon.

Kindess regards

GRAHAM

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

Hi, I'm looking to do the same, next week as it happens.

There are some "classic" locations, some of which I've been to and some of which I'm still pouring over an OS Map to find how to access them.

I'd suggest these:

- Banavie station. You can get the train coming straight out of Ben Nevis. Also there's a swing bridge there for other views.

- Corpach. The line skirts the edge of the bay giving some good views, perhaps better for eastbound, but then it would be tender-first. You could however walk along the mud and look back to get an outbound shot, or walk onto the jetty by the lighthouse.

- Loch Eil Outward Bound. Cross the track and walk onto the jetty. Good views as the train skirts the water's edge.

- Fassfern. Seen lots of photos, haven't yet worked out where to park.

- Glenfinnan Viaduct. Park in the small car park next to the visitor centre (not the visitor centre car park). I've got one or two good shots by walking up the mountain to the right of the viaduct. Alternatively, park at Glenfinnan Station and take the walk to the viaduct. It comes out above it. I haven't done this yet but plan to soon.

- After Glenfinnan. This part really is spectacular. Pull in by the road and simply find a good spot. The best ones I've seen are taken from the other side of the river - have yet to determine how to cross it.

- Loch Eilt. The classic shot is at the causeway at the west end. I've identified it on a map and need to go and find it in real life! It's about the only part where there's water on *both sides* of the railway. You can also see the railway from the road - it's possible to pull in and get some good shots, especially at the west end.

- Polnish. Our Lady of the Braes Church (disused) as seen in the film Local Hero. Get the church behind the train as it heads towards Mallaig.

- Loch Nan Uamh viaduct. This is spectacular as well. The classic shot is taken from above the viaduct on the west side as the train heads towards you (towards FW). But mind: if you park your car in the layby it will come out in the picture and ruin it! You can access this location by walking under the viaduct and turning left up the incline. Alternatively there's another angle further down the road towards Mallaig, looking back (check out this photo http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/lochailort.html). Note also that there's the skeleton of a dead horse in the centre pier! (Really)

- Beasdale tunnels. Haven't worked out how to get there yet, but I do know they're on a steep incline and the train will be working hard so plenty of smoke.

- Kinloid, shortly after Arisaig. Aim to go there next time. Should be able to climb up a hill and get good views of the train in the foreground and Atlantic Ocean / small islands in the background.

- Approaches to Mallaig. The line runs parallel to the road - there is plenty of scope for pulling in, climbing the bank and getting some close-ups.

Another tip - find a gradient profile for the route. This helps determine how hard the train is working and whether there'll be much smoke. I can tell you, however, that FW to Glenfinnan Viaduct is almost flat (apart from just before it), then it's 1 in 50 from the viaduct to the station and quite a bit beyond. The train stops at Glenfinnan for half an hour, and has to start on this steep incline. You should get some spectacular smoke on this section. The next major climb is up to Beasdale. On the return it's uphill out of Mallaig, up from Arisaig to Beasdale, and up from Loch Eilt to the summit, before descending into Glenfinnan.

Good luck! Have a look at some of mine, on http://markfielding.fotopic.net. I often wish I lived a bit nearer!

Lee_Again

EltonRoad (Mark?),

I have just looked at your photo site. I don't wish to sound patronizing but some of your pics are the best I've ever seen; even the ones without any trains!

I thought the dusk picture of Fort William, with Ben Nevis in the background, was just stunning, I even purchased it.

Anybody who likes West Scotland (who doesn't?) MUST look at Mark's site. Simply amazing.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.