• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jacobite to run twice a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

EltonRoad

Just seen that the Jacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig is running to an additional evening train during June and July, leaving Fort William at 17.10, giving half an hour in Mallaig and back to the Fort for 21.22.

This will be excellent to do in the evening light.

Times on uksteam and info on West Coast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Interesting; will this be a two locomotive operation with one working the first train and the other the second train? If so, that would presumably create the first steam light engine release ( at Fort William ) on the main line since about 1968?

An excellent idea, surprised it hasnt been done more often in the past.

A good point about the locos Peter.

Lee_Again

Just seen that the Jacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig is running to an additional evening train during June and July, leaving Fort William at 17.10, giving half an hour in Mallaig and back to the Fort for 21.22.

This will be excellent to do in the evening light.

Times on uksteam and info on West Coast.

Evening light, Fort William, 21.22. Doubt it. Maybe, just possibly in very late July. The sun sets at 21.35 in Inverness on 31st July. It will only be a minute or two difference in Fort William.

Source...click here

Nevertheless, a good idea. Doing it on 1st July. Little availability rest of that week. None in First:(

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps that's why it;s being run in June and July then, as these will be the best months to return to Fort William while it's still daylight?

MadCommuter

Perhaps that's why it;s being run in June and July then, as these will be the best months to return to Fort William while it's still daylight?

Although 'official' sunset is 2135, it will still be reasonably light for 30 mins or so after that. On a clear day it could be even longer.

Great idea.

scotsman

Established Member
Evening light, Fort William, 21.22. Doubt it. Maybe, just possibly in very late July. The sun sets at 21.35 in Inverness on 31st July. It will only be a minute or two difference in Fort William.

Source...click here

Nevertheless, a good idea. Doing it on 1st July. Little availability rest of that week. None in First:(

You clearly don't know the highlands then! I'm often up north and it's usually light till around 2230

EltonRoad

Interesting; will this be a two locomotive operation with one working the first train and the other the second train? If so, that would presumably create the first steam light engine release ( at Fort William ) on the main line since about 1968?

I've heard there's another loco going up with an additional set of coaches - due to non-operation of the Cambrian.

What I would quite like to see is running chimney-first from Mallaig.

scotsman

Established Member
I remember one year when staying up there, it didnt get proper dark.

It doesn't usually - on an average, cloudy night 2230 is a good shout. I've seen nights where it wasn't fully dark till after 12 up there

Liam

Established Member
I remember one year when staying up there, it didnt get proper dark.

Shetland, in June or July, The sun goes down, but it remains light all night. It's known locally as the simmer dim. I believe the sun sets around 2230 rises around 0300.

Lee_Again

You clearly don't know the highlands then! I'm often up north and it's usually light till around 2230

That's the point I was making. The original comment suggested an 'evening light'. I am telling the poster that there is no evening light as it will be daylight still.

Suggest you read my post before commenting.... 'evening light......doubt it'

EltonRoad

I think it will be evening light at that time. Low sun, long shadows, etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now running Wed to Fri in June and July.

44871 + ECS going up on Tues 31 May.

blackfive460

Interesting; will this be a two locomotive operation with one working the first train and the other the second train?
Very much doubt WCRC would do that. Two engines per day would make for a more expensive operation and, looking at the times, there's really no need.

EltonRoad

My understanding is that 44871 is working the evening services with the extra rake of stock that's going up on 31/5/11 (ie what would have worked The Cambrian), and the normal Jacobite service will continue to be worked by the Jacobite pool which is currently 61994 or 45231 + mark I stock.

BRX

Established Member
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but can anyone give me an idea what the likelihood of the (morning) Jacobite being booked out on a June weekday is? Am coming off the sleeper on the morning of the 16th June (a Thursday) and I'd like to continue to Mallaig by steam. But, because there's a not insignificant chance that the sleeper will be late, I don't really want to book and pay for the Jacobite and then miss it!

However, if it's very likely that there won't be any tickets to buy on the day, then perhaps I should take the gamble.

EltonRoad

I know that it's often fully-booked (can be a year ahead on some dates), and that tickets on the day often sell out as well. Boarding starts before the sleeper arrives, so by the time it gets in they may all have gone. Last year I tried buying one for the next day - a weekday in June - and was only able to buy first class. I would suggest booking by phone and asking what would happen if the sleeper is late.

BRX

Established Member
I would suggest booking by phone and asking what would happen if the sleeper is late.

A sensible suggestion indeed. I will see what they say.

Back on subject, it's great that they are going to try doing a second run - I hope it's a success. Would be nice to see something similar in operation on the Kyle line too!

EltonRoad

Would be nice to see something similar in operation on the Kyle line too!

Yeah absolutely.

I gather there have been efforts to get a regular steam service operating on the line, but they're constantly hitting obstacles. For one thing, Inverness to Kyle is a lot further than Fort William to Mallaig. FW to Mallaig takes two hours, including half an hour at Glenfinnan, and is the ideal length for a day out. Inverness to Kyle however, at 82 miles, is twice the distance of the West Highland Line, and takes steam about 4 hours each way.

They've looked into running a steam service from Kyle, part way along the line and back, however they were told they'd need an additional passing loop between Kyle and Strathcarron, and although this could be done at ?Plockton it would involve turning off the entire Kyle and Far North RETB signalling system and back on again. So it hit the buffers at that point.

Another issue is water. When 61994 ran with the GB IV in April there was a 25-minute stop at Achnasheen, I don't know whether it took water there, if it did was it from a road tanker? If so they can be very costly and presumably couldn't be done on a daily basis.

Finally the issue is demand. Kyle is a lot more remote and inaccessible than Fort William, and previous trips suggest there just isn't the demand for a regular service from there. Equally, starting at somewhere like Dingwall reduces the length of the trip but is still less accessible than starting from Inverness.

But you never know what might happen ...

In the meantime it's great that there's an evening service over the Mallaig line and I'm looking forward to both travelling on it and getting some lineside photos that aren't possible with the morning service.

Only just read this so not had much thinking time, but on the subject of a steam to Kyle, what about steam outward from Inverness with a diesel dead on the rear, with this used to bring the train back? Maybe a BR Blue Large Logo 37, with all their history in Scotland and the highlands?

It would save on the time and effort with the steamer running round at Kyle, reducing the need for a second stop for water on the return leg, and maybe run it on Sundays only (assuming the are less services on a Sunday, but there are not that many anyway, so that may not be the case?)

Another off the top of my head, what about a second tender on the steamer?

All just rolling off the top of my head now so more than likely plenty of pitfalls in what I have said, but there you go, that's what a discussion is all about.

BRX

Established Member
Why does steam take so long to do the Kyle line - the service train is about 2.5 hours isn't it?

I wonder if Dingwall-Kyle with a connecting regular train to and from Inverness would work. It seems there's an untapped stock of tourists in Inverness that should be exploited!

Personally, I'd be delighted if this could be brought back to life...

572.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maybe a BR Blue Large Logo 37, with all their history in Scotland and the highlands?

Great minds think alike!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There were quite a few tourists buzzing about Invernes sin 2009, even in October. I am sure there would be a market there for some sort of excursion service in the Summer, if the practical difficulties could be overcome.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good to see the evening service on the Jacobite, it's a great trip. I also see the notes here regarding doing steam on the Kyle Line, it has been done a few times in recent years both ways by steam. I was on the GB IV in April this year, it was a good trip, it did leave INV early, about 0630 AM, I think and got back about 1800 ish. Stopped once in each direction for water from a tanker at Achnasheen, the stop there on the return trip was wll over an hour and there is not much there. I think it was a weekday the day we did that trip.
It could be possible with coach and boat connections to do a circular tour, INV/KYLE/SKYE/MALLAIG/F.W./INV ETC.
I See from this thread the trips on the Cambrian Coast Line in Wales are not happening this year.

EltonRoad

Additional Jacobite brought forward to 14.45 from next week, meaning steam locos cross at Glenfinnan Wednesdays - Fridays. Also extended to 26 August.

The afternoon trip is very useful. Im planning an All-line in August. Coming of the Edinburgh Beds, going up on the 0907 unit Queen St to Fort Bill, then take the afternoon Jacobite to Mallaig, then the 1815 unit to connect onto the Fort Bill Beds.

Status
Not open for further replies.