• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 orders more planes

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 757 outbound was good too, but I think that's going to be my last 757 unless I get over to the USA and do one domestically there.
Icelandair still use 757s - although this may not be the best time of year to try going to Iceland...?

As regards Jet 2; I have seen some of their new aircraft passing overhead - it looks to me like they're still only on a very few specific diagrams?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
I did back from TFS on the A330, so almost the same distance/time. Loved it, especially as me and my wife were in a bay of 2. The 757 outbound was good too, but I think that's going to be my last 757 unless I get over to the USA and do one domestically there.
Bay of 2? I always assumed all Jet2 "short haul" flights were always 3 + 3 (apart from the one that has one row of 2+2)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
unless they will temporarily become a duel manufacturer airline (I know they are now but it does increase costs for a company that tries to keep low fares).
Ryanair, the King of low fares, is exactly that, interestingly enough. B737 for the primary brand, Buzz and Malta Air, and A320 for the Lauda-branded operations.

mpthomson

The A330s are on long-term charter from AirTanker, they’re the ones ordered by the RAF but not needed.

Had the pleasure of the A330 and the A321neo when I went to Lanzarote last month. The A321neo is quiet but, with the way Jet2 have fitted it out, it is cramped. Worse than the B737. The A330 was lovely, but it was also barely half full.
They weren't ordered by the RAF and it's not so much that they they aren't needed, they never were needed and were never intended for the RAF except in case of a large scale conflict where some were lost as a (very) strategic reserve.

AirTanker ordered an additional 5 to the same build order to lease for commercial purposes. They have the external points for the refuelling system/DAS fitted (easy for the refuelling as it uses the same mounts that carry the outward engines on an A340, the wings are basically the same) but none of the internal fittings/avionics needed. Converting them to full tanker spec isn't a quick process. Two have operated for Jet2 over the summer, one is leased by the RAF for trooping flights and the other two are the permanent airframes on the South Atlantic Airbridge.

'Boris Force One' is one of the RAF registered, full tanker airframes.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Ryanair, the King of low fares, is exactly that, interestingly enough. B737 for the primary brand, Buzz and Malta Air, and A320 for the Lauda-branded operations.
That's because they acquired the A320s with Lauda they will be replaced with 737s

childwallblues

Established Member
Jet 2 commenced operations from Liverpool Airport this morning. The first flights were at 0800 to Tenerife South and 1000 to Lanzarote. 20 destinations will be served this summer. Jet 2 has based 3 x Boeing 737-800 at Liverpool to operate the services.