• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 to launch new base at Liverpool Airport in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart100100

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
Jet 2 have announced that they are to open their eleventh UK base at Liverpool John Lennon Airport with 20 routes from 28 March 2024.

Snow1964

Established Member
Is this expansion, or a replacement for another airport that is too expensive, or they are struggling to get further slots or gates. Seems rather crazy to operate from both Manchester and Liverpool.

They have generally avoided the south of England, although in recent years have got closer with Bristol and Stansted

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Is this expansion, or a replacement for another airport that is too expensive, or they are struggling to get further slots or gates. Seems rather crazy to operate from both Manchester and Liverpool.

They have generally avoided the south of England, although in recent years have got closer with Bristol and Stansted
In what way crazy? Ryanair, Europe's largest and probably most financially successful airline, has been doing exactly that for years. The market clearly does exist for both Liverpool and Manchester to co-exist even within the same airline's network.

cactustwirly

Established Member
In what way crazy? Ryanair, Europe's largest and probably most financially successful airline, has been doing exactly that for years. The market clearly does exist for both Liverpool and Manchester to co-exist even within the same airline's network.

Granted some of the routes have no competition, but they are competing with easyJet on a lot of their routes from Liverpool.
That's not going to be easy, especially as easyJet is bigger and has lower fares.

I'm not sure how Gatwick would work for Jet2?
There's Wizz, easyJet, TUI and BA.

They are not cheap enough to compete against Wizz and I'm not sure their service is strong enough to compete with BA.

But they'll always be a small time leisure airline unless they can crack a proper London Airport like Gatwick.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
But they'll always be a small time leisure airline unless they can crack a proper London Airport like Gatwick.
Small time? With a fleet strength of 115?! They may have no aspirations to be like easyJet, Ryanair or Wizzair with bases in multiple countries but they manage their own speciality very well. That is an airline operating both holiday charter-style flights and low-cost flights sold direct to the public, essentially succeeding where Monarch failed. In fact I would suggest that avoiding London's major airports may be a key part of their strategy. There is plenty of life north of the Watford Gap!

Snow1964

Established Member
I'm not sure how Gatwick would work for Jet2?
There's Wizz, easyJet, TUI and BA.

Might be easier to set up at Southampton than Gatwick, if going to serve Med holiday destinations, but probably need to wait until the current runway expansion is completed.

However even when extension done, would probably wouldn't be able to get a fully loaded plane as far as Canary Islands, or Turkey.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Small time? With a fleet strength of 115?! They may have no aspirations to be like easyJet, Ryanair or Wizzair with bases in multiple countries but they manage their own speciality very well. That is an airline operating both holiday charter-style flights and low-cost flights sold direct to the public, essentially succeeding where Monarch failed. In fact I would suggest that avoiding London's major airports may be a key part of their strategy. There is plenty of life north of the Watford Gap!
But London has 3 of the 4 busiest airports in the UK.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Seems rather crazy to operate from both Manchester and Liverpool.
EasyJet and Ryanair manage it very well.

It’s worth noting that, in terms of time, it’s as quick to drive from my parents house in Halifax to Liverpool Airport as it is Manchester Airport.
Jet2 fly from Stansted.
Granted some of the routes have no competition, but they are competing with easyJet on a lot of their routes from Liverpool.
Not really, Jet2’s bread and butter is the package holiday- something they do extremely well.

Is this expansion, or a replacement for another airport that is too expensive
It’s really a bit of both, with Jet2 losing Doncaster after its closure.

GPR

Good news.
Every package holiday I’ve been on in the past 7/8 years has been with Jet2.
I do book with Ryanair a lot too but since my daughter came along we’ve done well with Jet2.
17 mins to JLA and 30 to MIA, so price will factor but JLA is more convenient.

PsychoMouse

I welcome Jet2's expansion. I've never used them because every time I am looking for a package deal they're always 10-20% more expensive than other operators or have worse flight times. Family that have used that said they're good however.

I must try and get on a classic 737 before they go.

paul1609

Established Member

Even for me down on the coast on the Kent/ East Sussex border City/Gatwick and Stansted are all acceptable airports because of the transport links. The ones that I avoid are Luton and Heathrow. I've never flown Jet 2 but if they fly from Stansted that's more or less the south of England market served to my mind.

PsychoMouse

Same reason why Ryanair fly from both Luton and Stansted, Tui at BHX and EMA or any airline both serving Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Enough of a population to support two airports with slightly different markets. MAN's Jet2 flights will be geared slightly more towards the bigger cities people use for short breaks and maybe attracting the odd business traveller whereas their flights from LPL will be very much just bucket and spade routes.

Parjon

Enough of a population to support two airports with slightly different markets. MAN's Jet2 flights will be geared slightly more towards the bigger cities people use for short breaks and maybe attracting the odd business traveller whereas their flights from LPL will be very much just bucket and spade routes.
Rather ironic that short breaks and business travelers would be condemned to use Manchester, given how disruptive that is to one's schedule. I would say that I would sooner stay at home if that was the option, but as I am on the Liverpool side anyway, further irony that such choice is no hardship!!

PsychoMouse

Rather ironic that short breaks and business travelers would be condemned to use Manchester, given how disruptive that is to one's schedule. I would say that I would sooner stay at home if that was the option, but as I am on the Liverpool side anyway, further irony that such choice is no hardship!!
Yeah I'm in Birmingham so I have plenty of options within a couple of hours should BHX not offer what I want but MAN is the bottom of the barrel last resort. I'd rather drive up to Newcastle than use Manchester tbh

cactustwirly

Established Member
Even for me down on the coast on the Kent/ East Sussex border City/Gatwick and Stansted are all acceptable airports because of the transport links. The ones that I avoid are Luton and Heathrow. I've never flown Jet 2 but if they fly from Stansted that's more or less the south of England market served to my mind.

For me Heathrow and Gatwick are easy to get to and nice airports.
Stansted is not convenient and is a very poor airport.

I have looked at Jet2, but they seem very expensive. It's cheaper to fly BA from Heathrow

jfollows

Established Member
https://simpleflying.com/jet2-new-liverpool-base-four-aircraft reports and tabulates the flights:
1684326277316.png

1684326301211.png

LanzaroteMarch 28th.Three weekly
Tenerife
South
March 28th.Five weekly
PalmaMarch 29th.Daily
FaroMarch 30th.Four weekly
FuerteventuraMarch 30th.Twice weekly
AlicanteMarch 30th.Four weekly
Gran CanariaMarch 30th.Twice weekly
MadeiraApril 1st.Weekly
IbizaMay 3rd.Three weekly
MenorcaMay 5th.Twice weekly
AntalyaMarch 29th.Four weekly
DalamanMarch 29th.Four weekly
PaphosApril 3rd.Weekly
BodrumMay 1st.Twice weekly
ZakynthosMay 1st.Weekly
BurgasMay 2nd.Twice weekly
RhodesMay 2nd.Twice weekly
CorfuMay 3rd.Twice weekly
HeraklionMay 3rd.Twice weekly
KosMay 3rd.Weekly

I welcome Jet2's expansion. I've never used them because every time I am looking for a package deal they're always 10-20% more expensive than other operators or have worse flight times. Family that have used that said they're good however.
I've been happy with Jet2, I used them in the past Leeds/Bradford to Venice but in recent years once a year (excepting Covid) 2015-2022 Manchester-Rhodes. I once used Thomas Cook for one leg because the time was more to my liking. I don't get a package deal because I stay with family in Rhodes. I would pay a certain amount more to fly Jet2 in preference to EasyJet or Ryanair, quite how much more I haven't had to put to the test.

Last edited:

Parjon

I would pay a certain amount more to fly Jet2 in preference to EasyJet or Ryanair, quite how much more I haven't had to put to the test.
I would pay the earth more in order to not fly Ryanair, but what is it about Jet2 Vs EasyJet you prefer?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Jet2 didn't use Doncaster, TUI did
You are quite right, my mistake.

I would pay the earth more in order to not fly Ryanair, but what is it about Jet2 Vs EasyJet you prefer?
I’ve only flown Jet2 as part of a package holiday, so I don’t know if non-package passengers get the same treatment.

The difference is the soft product. Jet2 employ their own ground crew, who are- without exception- polite, friendly, and helpful. They have been brilliant even in challenging times, including when I flew from LBA last year at the height of its security queue disasters. The staff couldn’t have done more. It’s the same when on board, the crew seem to care and seem to enjoy their jobs in a way EasyJet crew just don’t.

Whether I’d pay more just to use Jet2 I don’t know, but I’ve also not had to find out as they are usually competitive on price for the package holidays I go on.

jfollows

Established Member
Pretty much as Tetchytyke has said, EasyJet is tolerable, Ryanair I only use if they're flying directly between the two points I want to travel between and nobody else is, and Jet2 has always appeared to take pleasure in my custom. It probably comes down to their holiday/charter background, because their assumption that everyone on board is going on holiday slightly grates (I might be going to a funeral, perhaps?). Anyway, direct flights and sensible times come reasonably high up my criteria, I don't normally get up at 3am when I'm supposed to be on holiday.

PsychoMouse

Never, ever had any issue with Ryanair. They're the safest and most on-time airline in Europe for a reason.

Back to Jet2... I guess their arrival at Liverpool has spooked EasyJet a tad. They've just announced an expansion to their base at BHX for next year, I bet we see a reduction at LPL.

Suits me, hopefully EZY compete with Jet2 on the Turkey routes from BHX and save me travelling down to Bristol to save a few quid.

Parjon

I don't believe EasyJet will reduce at LJLA due to Jet2 arriving. Even on same destinations they already have competition from RyanAir, and I'm sure they share airports in many other places.

There are only 2 airports here serving an immediate population of around 7 million, so I believe there is more than enough custom to go around.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I don't believe EasyJet will reduce at LJLA due to Jet2 arriving. Even on same destinations they already have competition from RyanAir, and I'm sure they share airports in many other places.

There are only 2 airports here serving an immediate population of around 7 million, so I believe there is more than enough custom to go around.

I doubt they are worried, they know they can offer lower fares than Jet2, and they have a well established presence.

They would however be worried if it was Wizz expanding instead

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I bet we see a reduction at LPL.
I’d be amazed if we did. Liverpool and Manchester share the same catchment area, which is huge, demand is outstripping supply, and Manchester is edging towards full capacity.

If Wizz or Ryanair were expanding their presence at Liverpool it might be different, but EasyJet seem to relish competition rather than shying away from it.

jfollows

Established Member
I’d be amazed if we did. Liverpool and Manchester share the same catchment area, which is huge, demand is outstripping supply, and Manchester is edging towards full capacity.

If Wizz or Ryanair were expanding their presence at Liverpool it might be different, but EasyJet seem to relish competition rather than shying away from it.
The first time I went to Liverpool was when I was 2 years old on a diversion from Manchester in 1963; the second time I went was in early EasyJet days and I drove there and couldn't find the "long term car park" only to discover that there wasn't one, just a single car park within easy walk of the terminal. Now things have changed! Yes, I use Liverpool occasionally but it's a bit of a pain to get to and it's on my list of sensible airports to use.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Yes, I use Liverpool occasionally but it's a bit of a pain to get to and it's on my list of sensible airports to use.
It’s a pain in the bum to get to if you don’t/don’t want to drive. But if you do drive it’s pretty good- amazingly it’s often quicker from Halifax to drive there than it is to drive to Manchester Airport. And it’s not (usually) a zoo, unlike Manchester.

Plus I’m normally being collected and I can actually walk to the free drop off/pick up parking area, which is great. Certainly compared to Manchester where you have to take three buses, a kayak, and answer three cryptic questions set by Mumsy from the Crystal Maze.

Worst thing for me is that, on Loganair, you get a free cuppa and Tunnocks on the Manchester flight but on the Liverpool flight you don’t as it’s too short.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You are quite right, my mistake.

I’ve only flown Jet2 as part of a package holiday, so I don’t know if non-package passengers get the same treatment.

The difference is the soft product. Jet2 employ their own ground crew, who are- without exception- polite, friendly, and helpful. They have been brilliant even in challenging times, including when I flew from LBA last year at the height of its security queue disasters. The staff couldn’t have done more. It’s the same when on board, the crew seem to care and seem to enjoy their jobs in a way EasyJet crew just don’t.

Whether I’d pay more just to use Jet2 I don’t know, but I’ve also not had to find out as they are usually competitive on price for the package holidays I go on.
I've used Jet2 for holiday packages & flights only, and I can confirm that they treat both equally as well. And like you I've found them always to be going above and beyond for their customers, and actually knowing people who work there it seems they also expand this ethic to the staff. Which probably explains why their crews are always seemingly happy to be there. In fact had it not been for covid, I might actually work for them myself as their was a job I was very interested in right before lockdown.

As a comparison I've used easyJet for holidays and flight only, and Ryanair for flights only (obviously). Whilst good to reasonable, the comparable experience between these two and Jet2 has shown me the latter is streets ahead, and certainly worth the higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.