• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jimmy Sommerville- Smalltown Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

Hi,

I am annoyed I cannot anwser this myself.

The video to 'Bronski Beat's' 'Smalltown Boy' features Mr. Sommerville at a ticket office / station somewhere on the WR (identified by the 210 DEMU, HST and the DMU clearly leaving Paddington at the end of the video)
My question is:
'Is the bridge Jimmy walks over at 1:06 Reading station?' - you may also recognise the ticket office just before at 1:03- (which doesn't look like RDG!)
I was at Reading station last week, trying to judge if it could be the same overbridge- and the colours (very brown) are about right, but could it be a generic BR WR 80s style?

(heres the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7-q1WRaKNg

An anwser would be very appreciated!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
It could be Reading. The station received the current concourse and footbridge in 1989, which would explain the apparent difference in the style of ticket office and footbridge in the video when compared to the current ones.

theblackwatch

Established Member
The concourse at Reading was very different up to the rebuild Coxster mentioned, located more to the side of there the current concourse is. The station didn't have a footbridge (as seen at http://tony4170.fotopic.net/p44620449.html ), everyone using the subway - so as the song dates from 1984 I think it's safe to say it isn't Reading. (The song has just caused a discussion here at work as to its date. I thought it was around 1987, others thought it was around 82/83 but one colleague got it right - my copy of the Guiness Book of British Hit Singles provided invaluable!)

I must say I was impressed you identified the unit (presumably from its windows) as being one of the 210s!

Last edited:

mindmeld

Ha, followed the link Tonys fotopic site and it was like goin back in time! Spent weeks and weeks of previous life on Reading Station when it looked just like that! All above are correct about the bridge. Remember it being built. Easier to run over then going through the tunnels. Don't forget no barriers or gates just a grunt from the bloke in the kiosk

So, did you go down the ramp on plat 8 country end (I think) and put 2p on the rails for a Western to runover? Came out looking like a small squashed jaffa cake!

Very politically incorrect thing to do of course but.....its the stupid sort of thing you do when your xxxxxxx years!

Remember the Westerns, 50's and constantly revolving DMU's in particular the curious Tadpoles on the Gatwick line. Also remember being on our way to Reading from Bstoke in a 'Bog' unit (1129 I think) only to wait outside Mortimer for ages when 47474 failed in front of us whilst on a freighliner working. Major event for train mad boys I can tell you!

Best of all have a very clear picture of a weekday summers afternoon, sitting on an uncomfortable Brute, eating a large Mr.Kiplings apple pie (from the 'buffet') and copping Western Druid on a stone train as it clagged away from a stop for sigs on the down fast. Happy days!!!

Your quite right... does make me feel old but wouldn't have missed it for all the sheds in the world!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.