• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jo Bamford completes Wrightbus takeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcn1973

Getting back on track, rotola confirmed an order for 163 new vehicles mostly street decks with 20 or so street lites

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss the takeover of Wrightbus.

If anyone sees something that is off topic, please report the first off topic post using the report button (if there are further off topic posts, please mention this in your report).

winston270twm

Established Member
Getting back on track, rotola confirmed an order for 163 new vehicles mostly street decks with 20 or so street lites

The exact details of the Rotala order inc breakdown of types & anticipated delivery dates has already been posted above.

upasalmon

On Moderation
In a recent post I described the firm as Bamford Wrightbus although I had a feeling the name of Bamford would replace the original name. The family link with JCB reminds me of the Foden ERF family link a century ago.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
In a recent post I described the firm as Bamford Wrightbus although I had a feeling the name of Bamford would replace the original name. The family link with JCB reminds me of the Foden ERF family link a century ago.

Wrightbus are still called Wrightbus, Bamford is just the parent company. In the same way we don't call Asda Walmart, or ADL NewFlyer.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
But ADL used to be Dennis, so its possible that Wrightbus could become Bamfordbus eventually.

That's not really the same at all. Dennis is still in the name "Alexander Dennis Limited". ADL was created from Transbus which in itself was created through the merge of Alexander (Coachbuilders), Dennis (Chassis manufacturer) and Plaxton (another coach builder), albeit Plaxton went independent during the Transbus years and then was later reacquired by ADL in 2007.

Wrightbus on the other hand wasn't merged with the "Bamford Bus Company", Bamford is just the parent company, of which Wrightbus is a subsidiary. Much in the same way Optare is a subsidiary of Ashok Leyland.

MotCO

Established Member
But ADL used to be Dennis, so its possible that Wrightbus could become Bamfordbus eventually.

Why change the well-known name of a product, and draw attention to the fact that the original company had to sell up?

awsnews

Wrightbus on the other hand wasn't merged with the "Bamford Bus Company", Bamford is just the parent company, of which Wrightbus is a subsidiary. Much in the same way Optare is a subsidiary of Ashok Leyland.
Not quite correct, it is the Bamford Bus Company Ltd trading as Wrightbus. The parent is Bamford Bus Company Holdings Ltd.

randyrippley

Established Member

I understood it was a stock and assets sale, not a takeover off the bankrupt company. Bamford didn't purchase Wrightbus, just the right to use the Wrightbus name as a brand for the new company

Why change the well-known name of a product, and draw attention to the fact that the original company had to sell up?

It signifies a new start. Why would a new business want to use a name associated with religious bigotry and financial mismanagement?

Last edited by a moderator:

CBlue

Same reason you'll probably never see Vauxhall change their name in this country to Opel. Joe public knows Vauxhall but what's an Opel?

......Much in the same way that Vauxhall/Opel were never rebadged to "General Motors" or these days "Groupe PSA"

Wrightbus is a far better known name so it makes sense if they've kept it, much like ADL did. Even after the merger into Transbus a lot were still getting marketed or badged as Dennis or Plaxton, especially coaches!

randyrippley

Established Member
Same reason you'll probably never see Vauxhall change their name in this country to Opel. Joe public knows Vauxhall but what's an Opel?

Give it two years all they'll all be rebranded as Peugeot
Its no coincidence that prior to selling off Vauxhall-Opel, GM had switched their European interest to Chevrolet - branded cars made for them in Russia. The Vauxhall and Opel names are worth nothing. Just as the Chrysler - Rootes Group brand names proved to be worthless when Chrysler Europe was given to PSA

In the same way the Wright name is worth nothing. In fact if the intention is to concentrate on new technology then reusing an old soiled name is counterproductive

ClydeCoaster

The Wrightbus website now shows no information about the products offered, just extolling the benefits of hydrogen power and how they’re going to be the leader in zero emission buses. I know StreetDeck deliveries had restarted but very few StreetLites were built last year - is the conventional range being quietly phased out for the upcoming zero emission offerings?

With Switch Mobility looking like it’s got a limited future right now it just seems like ADL are the only offering left.

Last edited:

buslad1988

The Wrightbus website now shows no information about the products offered, just extolling the benefits of hydrogen power and how they’re going to be the leader in zero emission buses. I know StreetDeck deliveries had restarted but very few StreetLites were built last year - is the conventional range being quietly out for the upcoming zero emission offerings?

With Switch Mobility looking like it’s got a limited future right now it just seems like ADL are the only offering left.
Watch this space... Ipswich Buses General Manager recently tweeted with a pic (although now deleted) info about a new heavyweight single deck product from Wright Bus with a Mercedes engine. It basically looked like the Volvo B8RLE’s at East Coast Buses.

He’s mentioned to keep your eyes peeled on 16th February. So maybe a demonstrator will be arriving in the town then?

ClydeCoaster

Watch this space... Ipswich Buses General Manager recently tweeted with a pic (although now deleted) info about a new heavyweight single deck product from Wright Bus with a Mercedes engine. It basically looked like the Volvo B8RLE’s at East Coast Buses.

He’s mentioned to keep your eyes peeled on 16th February. So maybe a demonstrator will be arriving in the town then?
Interesting!! I hope for the sake of the future of Wrightbus and indeed competition it's a real contender. I had always thought Wright products were really very good up until the woeful StreetLite and the recent quality issues with the Geminis.

Will keep an eye out for this new arrival...

cnjb8

Established Member
I gather they've 'broken up' with Volvo then. Although in an increasingly lightweight and electric market, who will purchase an integral heavyweight diesel product?

buslad1988

I gather they've 'broken up' with Volvo then. Although in an increasingly lightweight and electric market, who will purchase an integral heavyweight diesel product?
Well Ipswich Buses General Manager seemed very keen on twitter... although they’ve never purchased a single wrightbus product before! And certainly wouldn’t be able to order any in significant numbers.

From the information given in the tweets sounds like a single deck version of the Streetdeck. So not necessarily meaning Volvo have fallen out of favour.

Like I say the tweets have been removed; guessing perhaps the information was released a little prematurely! But it did also mention seat belts.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Volvo orders had been slim and limited for a few years with the integrals proving more popular so it's not a surprise. The reason for developing the heavy weight chassis is primarily to allow for a Hydrogen variant.

There will also be Zero Emissions variants (Hydrogen and Battery Electric), with RHD and articulated variants planned further down the line.

Cesarcollie

Well Ipswich Buses General Manager seemed very keen on twitter... although they’ve never purchased a single wrightbus product before! And certainly wouldn’t be able to order any in significant numbers.

From the information given in the tweets sounds like a single deck version of the Streetdeck. So not necessarily meaning Volvo have fallen out of favour.

Like I say the tweets have been removed; guessing perhaps the information was released a little prematurely! But it did also mention seat belts.

And how many new buses have Ipswich Buses bought in the last (say) 5 years?

buslad1988

And how many new buses have Ipswich Buses bought in the last (say) 5 years?
Well yes, quite! Perhaps Mr Bryce is getting a little carried away with excitement on this one. Can’t see the council bank rolling them along for a new fleet of these. But that’s a whole other subject!

cnjb8

Established Member

Since Bamford took over, the only Volvo Wrights produced were ordered before they went bust.
Volvo orders had been slim and limited for a few years with the integrals proving more popular so it's not a surprise. The reason for developing the heavy weight chassis is primarily to allow for a Hydrogen variant.

There will also be Zero Emissions variants (Hydrogen and Battery Electric), with RHD and articulated variants planned further down the line.
Ah that makes sense. There was a thread about a new Wright hydrogen single deck but this was a while ago.
And that GM is a certain S Bryce. say no more.....
Could you clarify for me? I am confused as per usual
So is the StreetLite dead?
No, Rotala are taking them with the Bamford chassis numbers

padbus

Ah that makes sense. There was a thread about a new Wright hydrogen single deck but this was a while ago.
Post #805 on the UK Bus Manufacturers News & Discussion thread mentions an order from Translink for 145 Wrightbus buses. A little more detail was published in Buses magazine for January 2021. One hundred of the buses are for Metro in Belfast and Ulsterbus's Foyle Metro in Derry/Londonderry. All are zero emission Streetdecks: 20 Hydrogen fuel cell FCEVs and 80 of a new battery electric version. Other Ulsterbus operations will get 31 Euro6 Mercedes engined Streetdecks and 14 single deckers which will have a lengthened version of the Streetdeck chassis. This will give a greater measure of standardisation across the fleet and "their higher rated axles [will] provide a greater carrying capacity and also provide the robustness that Ulsterbus expects of vehicles clocking up high mileages on predominantly rural routes". This suggests to me that this new Wrightbus single decker will be a Euro6 diesel, presumably with a Mercedes engine.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Post #805 on the UK Bus Manufacturers News & Discussion thread mentions an order from Translink for 145 Wrightbus buses. A little more detail was published in Buses magazine for January 2021. One hundred of the buses are for Metro in Belfast and Ulsterbus's Foyle Metro in Derry/Londonderry. All are zero emission Streetdecks: 20 Hydrogen fuel cell FCEVs and 80 of a new battery electric version. Other Ulsterbus operations will get 31 Euro6 Mercedes engined Streetdecks and 14 single deckers which will have a lengthened version of the Streetdeck chassis. This will give a greater measure of standardisation across the fleet and "their higher rated axles [will] provide a greater carrying capacity and also provide the robustness that Ulsterbus expects of vehicles clocking up high mileages on predominantly rural routes". This suggests to me that this new Wrightbus single decker will be a Euro6 diesel, presumably with a Mercedes engine.
Indeed it will have a Mercedes/Daimler diesel engine, however Hydrogen options are also being offered as per the Streetdeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.