• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Job move whilst uncertainty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stench

Thoughts on anyone moving jobs whilst companies are financially struggling. ?
How long before redundancy occurs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stench

Well if going for a job elsewhere in this current climate now unfolding before us has the railway been less stable in jobs for drivers?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Do you mean 'Are train driving jobs still just as secure as before the pandemic?'

If so, prepare for strongly held opinions from people that they are and also are not. Worth considering the main elements of security also, is the position itself secure (redundancy risk), is it's number of hours predictable (overtime or hours cuts), and is the rate of pay going to go down?

On the railway some people argue that the general trend is reversed, and that it is easier to make people redundant than reducing pay. However, of all roles in TOCs, train drivers are the least likely to be hit with compulsory redundancies.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I'd be reluctant to move to any of the open-access companies in the current climate, as they are the most vulnerable to a drop in traffic.

SlimJim1694

I wouldnt worry about it mate. If you want to go for a job and its advertised then go for it. Otherwise you could find yourself years down the line regretting it. I spent years with a company I hated because I was scared to make the move. Ive finally done something about it and now I feel great. Don't be a prisoner to the "what ifs", "what if" may never happen.

I would heed the advice above about open access TOCs though. I wouldnt have touched one of them before the panddmic!:{

Established Member
I would heed the advice above about open access TOCs though. I wouldnt have touched one of them before the panddmic!:{

I would also caution against FOCs at the moment. They’re similar to open access in many respects.

Congrats on the move. You’ve mentioned where you currently work, so I don’t even need to know where you’re going, to guarantee you won’t regret it :D.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
In my own opinion I would say that applying for roles in the rail industry will become more competitive in the months/years ahead.

In the last week alone we have seen retailers like Boots, John Lewis, M&S and Dyson make massive redundancies. The aviation industry has been like a blood bath of unemployment.

The issue there is a huge tidal wave of people in customer based roles seeking employment and clearly many roles in railway world are of course dealing with passengers so you can potentially get a standard role (say a ticket clerk) attracting a huge pool of applicants.

There is nothing to lose by applying but it is going to become very hard to get your feet in a door.

I have been doing some online courses during lockdown which I can add to my CV. Maybe this could be a consideration - add some more qualifications and make yourself stand out that bit more.

Good luck with your journey.

CJ

T-Karmel

Confirm on open access, stay away from them now. HEX used pandemic to make redundant near 50 frontline and near 30 other employees, restructure all existing employees, changing their contracts (into much worse ones) and make part time 50 other employees and to restructure entire business in ways you wouldn't even think they would do.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I truly don't belive that recruitement will ever stop. Even now, my TOC is running 84% of service, pushing rest day working, and running a recruitment campaign for both Trainees and Qualified Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.