• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Job offer section administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver45

Hi new on here. Need some advice please. I have been offered a job with network rail. It would mean extra travelling time for just a bit more money than what I am on now. I currently work in business support at a local council. What are people’s experiences working for network rail. Are there good opportunities to progress. The job I originally went for I was unsuccessful so they offered me this one instead with quite a drop in pay scale. Is it worth taking the risk??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thecrofter

There are many opportunities to progress if you have the aptitude and willingness to improve. I take it the position is in Maintenance? There are many seperate business units within each Route within NR and future devolvement from centre will most likely improve the opportunities if locations don't suit. Given the long term future of a job with NR, I would say the chance to join, even at a lower grade than you first envisaged, is a chance not to miss. The railway has been, and I believe always will be, an exiting and diverse business with many avenues in which your career can take. Only my opioion, but it's a risk worth taking.

Rockhopper

It’s a tricky one. I’ve just accepted a job with my local council. The pay isn’t great but the T’s&C’s are amazing. With flexi leave I could end up with 62 days leave each year! Plus it’s only four miles from home so I can stop using the car and cycle to work.
For me, not spending two hours each day in the car is worth a heck of a lot.

thecrofter

Fair enough but you did ask about NR. There are other benefits with NR e.g. Option to join the Final Salary Pension scheme after 5 years service, 75% discounted season ticket loan, 5 days volunteer leave (if you're into that sort of thing), generally pay rises linked to RPI although the government are trying to change that, 28 days leave rising to 30 after 10 years, flexible working depending on circumstances (quite common to see 35hr/week over 4 days; 9 day fortnights etc.

To me, the Railway is more than just a job and even more than a career; it's a way of life. Pays your money takes your choice as they say. Good luck with the Council.

Sorry I've just realised the reply wasn't from the OP. Doh!

winks

I see there recruitment part of the site doesn’t work. I’ve applied for a job and every time I try and login to the careers webpage it says the system has encountered an unexpected error. Fingers crossed for the email !

Rockhopper

Either delete your cookies and start again or if you are using Chrome right click on the link and open in a new incognito window.

Oliver45

Thank you for your replies. I think I would be a fool not to take it I’m no spring chicken 47 years old and think I have been lucky to have this chance as I know these jobs are sought after. I ha e been unhappy in my job for a few years now with no resources no career progression and no support councils have been decimated where as hs2 and all the money being plowed this

Status
Not open for further replies.