• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Joining" two tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadmane

Good morning,

I regularily travel from Hastings to Leamington Spa. A super-off peak return allows me to use the route Hastings to Charing X/Victoria/HS. This week I did an overnight stop in Croydon and purchased an off peak return Hastings to Croydon Stations tickets, the next day purchasing an off peak return Croydon Stations to Leamington Spa.

On my return journey am I now forced to travel back to Hastings on the Victoria line via Haywards Heath or does my two ticket return portions together allow me to travel on any route back?

Thanks again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Good morning,

I regularily travel from Hastings to Leamington Spa. A super-off peak return allows me to use the route Hastings to Charing X/Victoria/HS. This week I did an overnight stop in Croydon and purchased an off peak return Hastings to Croydon Stations tickets, the next day purchasing an off peak return Croydon Stations to Leamington Spa.

On my return journey am I now forced to travel back to Hastings on the Victoria line via Haywards Heath or does my two ticket return portions together allow me to travel on any route back?

Thanks again.

Hi,

With that particular combination, the train must stop at the station where you change tickets so you are route bound via Croydon. You can't go direct via Orpington, however if you don't fancy going via Haywards Heath, your tickets are valid for use on the London Bridge - Croydon - Tonbridge route.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Good morning,

Thanks again.

You must travel via Croydon on your return journey.

For future reference, you are permitted to travel via Croydon and break journey on the Super Off Peak Return from Hastings to Leamington Spa

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You must travel via Croydon on your return journey.

For future reference, you are permitted to travel via Croydon and break journey on the Super Off Peak Return from Hastings to Leamington Spa

Indeed - but you'd have to travel within the validity of the tickets, i.e. on the start date for the outward and any times within a month on the return.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Indeed - but you'd have to travel within the validity of the tickets, i.e. on the start date for the outward and any times within a month on the return.

Any reason why overnight break of journey won't be allowed on the outward portion though? The OP will have been "unable" to complete their journey since they needed to stop overnight in Croydon; therefore break of journey (resuming the next day) is allowed.

steadmane

Thanks for the replies. It's pretty much what I expected. I always try to keep away from BOJ's especially overnight/resume before midday as I don't like confrontations of trains and it has seemed that many guards don't seem to accept these rules. I've only done it twice in the last 5 years but both times guards questioned me then let me off grudgingly.

I have just discovered via this site the brfares site which allows me to print out the rules which should help in the future.

Thanks again.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Thanks for the replies. It's pretty much what I expected. I always try to keep away from BOJ's especially overnight/resume before midday as I don't like confrontations of trains and it has seemed that many guards don't seem to accept these rules. I've only done it twice in the last 5 years but both times guards questioned me then let me off grudgingly.
I have to say it's very unfortunate (although completely understandable) that you feel this way - yours is a good example of TOCs scaremongering people into buying more expensive combinations of tickets than they need. Not everyone will have the self-confidence to stand up for themselves when TOC staff are in the wrong and if the end result is that passengers spend more money than they otherwise would, there is no incentive for the TOCs to do anything about the problem...

steadmane

It's not even just about the confrontation - it's the expectation of confrontation and the waiting for it! It makes the journey far less comfortable.

Turn up at the Victoria gate with a ticket dated the previous day and watch it get ripped out of your hand as you get suddenly halted and about 20 people crash into the back of you!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Any reason why overnight break of journey won't be allowed on the outward portion though? The OP will have been "unable" to complete their journey since they needed to stop overnight in Croydon; therefore break of journey (resuming the next day) is allowed.

As steadmane says, one can expect problems, and the restriction is unclear (as discussed in the other thread). It's a bit of a stretch to say that wanting to stop overnight means that one is "unable" to complete the journey IMHO.

steadmane

Not wanting to repeat old/other threads but the word "unable" just opens up so much interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.