• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey planner itineraries and permitted routes NRE extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi all,

I recently noticed that the page on the national rail website giving information on ticketing has had a paragraph removed. Previously on this page - https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types.aspx#Routeing information - there was an extract that read "When you book your journey online, any ticket offered in connection with the timetable or itinerary produced by the journey planner will be accepted as a permitted route". This covered situations where a bug in a journey planner offered a route that would otherwise not be permitted. For reasons unknown, that sentence has unfortunately been removed. An archive of the page shows how it used to look: https://web.archive.org/web/2019122..._fares/ticket_types.aspx#Routeing information

Even without this statement, the routing given by a journey planner remains valid so all this does it makes it harder to prove the validity to a ticket examiner (as I found out myself a few days ago).

Would anyone be able to shed some light as to the reason for this removal and if anyone with the power to do so is reading then could it be reinstated?

Cheers,

FQ.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Think the page may have been amended since you did your post?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It has indeed, now stating the following:
When you book your journey online, any ticket offered at that time, in connection with the timetable or itinerary produced by the journey planner will be accepted as a permitted route.

Any ideas as to what this actually means?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sometimes, as in tomorrow,routes on tickets change changing their validity.
Thought it'd be something like that eg. If you could book a ticket from (say) Sheffield to Derby via Stockport and Crewe through a journey planner with that itinerary then it'd have to be accepted, but if you booked the Sheffield to Derby ticket one day and noticed the next that itineraries were being offered via Stockport and Crewe then it wouldn't be valid because the itinerary wasn't applicable at the time the ticket was purchased.

robbeech

Established Member
Didn’t this used to just generally link an itinerary with a valid ticket? now it seems to just be talking about permitted routes so there’s nothing written now to suggest that if you get an itinerary for an ‘peak’ train with an off peak ticket it is valid. I know it still is valid, it has to be under consumer / contract law but I always thought the wording here was more generalised rather than just based on routeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.