• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journeys on Virgin Trains to Birmigham via Stafford (26 & 27 May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
On the weekend of 26 & 27 May the line between Birmingham and Coventry will be closed, with London Euston to Birmingham New Street services running via Stafford. This causes a problem for some journey planners (including Worldline and Trainline) because via Stafford is not a permitted route for these journeys. Someone travelling from London Euston to Birmingham New Street will be returned results on these through trains, but someone travelling from Shenfield or Guildford to Wolverhampton has a problem, as does someone travelling from Bilbrook to London because the through trains between London Euston and Birmingham New Street are not following a permitted route. It would seem that the neccesary easements for this work have been forgotten (again).

This is great news for Chiltern Railways, as the only results returned by these online journey planners are those using their trains from London Marylebone, because this is much quicker than using the Coventry to Birmingham bus. By default, route High Wycombe tickets will therefore be offered for journeys like Bilbrook to London or Ashford International to Birmingham.

This is a lesson in why removing the permitted routes for these journeys via Stafford was a bad idea. Now, people looking at most websites will be directed towards a rival company to Virgin Trains, for all of the fastest journeys and they will get a lower walk-up fare than they otherwise would to boot.

There is a further problem with London to Wolverhampton journeys. These have a dedicated 'via Stafford' fare which costs more than the valid Any Permitted fare, but the higher price is the only one offered by Trainline and Worldine journey planners.

I have attached a screenshot of trainline showing the "cheapest standard single" for the 1510 Wolverhampton to London Euston as £64.60 for the route stafford (left column) and the 'Any Permitted' Off Peak Single as not valid on that train.

Capture.JPG

By contrast, trainscanbecheaper.info correctly offers the 'Any Permitted' Super Off Peak Single on that train:

Capture.JPG

As do Worldline sites. Why Trainline isn't doing that I don't know, but as this is a through train, that ticket is valid by definition and this is a plain case of overcharging.

It would seem that some in the industry will not learn that removing reasonable, sensible, likely permitted routes has negative consequences and also that when engineering work takes place, if an easement is needed to deal with cases of engineering work, these easements need to be published in good time, not left until 4 or 5 weeks before travel and after reservation has opened.

The ticket office at Wolverhampton will, I am sure, be correctly advising of 'Any Permitted' Wolverhampton to London tickets being valid on through trains via Stafford, so this is one case where buying online could be more expensive than buying at the ticket office.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Whilst I agree this is not a fault directly relating to the Trainline unlike other recently discovered and discussed issue, given that other sites are displaying correct data it does go someway to prove the lack of knowledge available by these people used to program.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Indeed. The lack of an easement for the work is not trainline's fault. But I do not see why they along with NRE are blocking an Any Permitted ticket on a through train from Wolverhampton to London. Is that what it is doing for everyone else too?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Virgin WC's own site is also not selling Weekend Upgrades and instead encouraging people to "upgrade" from a Standard Super Off Peak Single to a First Super Off Peak Single for £29.70, as opposed to £15 on the day. Overcharging...

Samuel88

On Moderation
Indeed. The lack of an easement for the work is not trainline's fault. But I do not see why they along with NRE are blocking an Any Permitted ticket on a through train from Wolverhampton to London. Is that what it is doing for everyone else too?

But would people know that traveling through Stafford is not a permitted route? I think most will just see a train going to Birmingham and not care or know they can't use their ticket on that service

robbeech

Established Member
But would people know that traveling through Stafford is not a permitted route? I think most will just see a train going to Birmingham and not care or know they can't use their ticket on that service
Exactly how people run into trouble, it’s not clear on the ticket, the chances are the ticket office staff won’t tell them of all the restrictions (where do you draw the line here) and if they use the Trainline it definitely won’t tell them about the restrictions on some platforms*

*operating system and device combination, not railway platform.

robbeech

Established Member
Virgin WC's own site is also not selling Weekend Upgrades and instead encouraging people to "upgrade" from a Standard Super Off Peak Single to a First Super Off Peak Single for £29.70, as opposed to £15 on the day. Overcharging...
It would be worth politely asking them their thoughts on this.

Kite159

Veteran Member

With the reduction of services I wouldn't be surprised if Weekend First won't be offered for those Birmingham - Euston via Stafford services.

No doubt a temporary easement will be put into place at some point to allow passengers to travel via Stafford over this weekend, otherwise the Chiltern services will be even more overloaded (especially since they will probably be carrying passengers for XC services as XC are only running as far as Leamington from the South Coast)

cambsy

On Moderation
I Would presume that if the Virgin Birmingham-Euston trains are booked via Stafford, then it is not the passengers fault that it is diverted, so shouldn’t be a problem going via Stafford, on any usual ticket, I would just buy say a super off peak single and travel as normal, I’m sure there will be the necessary easements in place.

Silver Cobra

Mixing Deck/WebTIS-based booking engines do seem to offer the Super Off-Peak Single for this journey. I checked this with GWR's website:

holi1uz.jpg

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
With the reduction of services I wouldn't be surprised if Weekend First won't be offered for those Birmingham - Euston via Stafford services.

No doubt a temporary easement will be put into place at some point to allow passengers to travel via Stafford over this weekend, otherwise the Chiltern services will be even more overloaded (especially since they will probably be carrying passengers for XC services as XC are only running as far as Leamington from the South Coast)

I can’t ever recall Virgin not offering Weekend First, which for them is money for old rope, even on extraordinarily busy trains.

As they advertise the upgrade is available, I’d just sit in first class and wait for them to sell it. Reservations are very light.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Mixing Deck/WebTIS-based booking engines do seem to offer the Super Off-Peak Single for this journey. I checked this with GWR's website:

holi1uz.jpg
That's right, it looks like it is just NRE and trainline that suffer where direct trains are concerned.

Starmill

Veteran Member
As they advertise the upgrade is available, I’d just sit in first class and wait for them to sell it. Reservations are very light.
Given that, for people buying online, only people searching London to Birmingham or Wolverhampton tickets online will be able to reserve without then going to a station or calling telesales, that doesn't surprise me.

kieron

Established Member
That's right, it looks like it is just NRE and trainline that suffer where direct trains are concerned.
It isn't; southernrailway.com is the same.

This seems to be a problem with easements rather than direct trains, as selecting a journey from London to Birmingham works fine, as does (for instance) LU Zone 1-Wolverhampton. Or rather, a problem with the implementation of this easement. Some of the web sites which allowed London Euston-Stafford-Wolverhampton on a through train with an any permitted ticket denied London Charing Cross-Slade Green-Charlton on that basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.