• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

JR’s Occasional Worldwide Wanders

jamesr

I have a few interesting rail trips coming up over the next few months, and, having read this part of the forum over the past few years and taken some inspiration from trips of some regular contributors here, I thought I’d have a go at writing a few trip reports myself.

Firstly, a bit of a back story. I’m a Cornishman, and after twenty-something years of a very fortunate career that’s taken me to Asia (presently Hong Kong) for the last ten years, I have finally found myself with a few months off - a few months that I fully intend to make the most of! My partner is somewhat sympathetic to my enjoyment in travelling by train and ferry - she’ll do it for an experience, but draws the line on doing it for the sake of it. She has a career of her own, and doesn’t have the luxury of a few months off, so my travels over the next few months will be mostly without her, but occasionally (like the first trip) with her.

From a rail perspective, my interest in trains started with standing on the breakwater wall on Penzance station on Summer Saturday afternoons in the late 80s/early 90s with my dad - I have a distinct memory of waiting for the first glimpse of the outline of carriages passing Long Rock depot several minutes away, bringing holidaymakers from seemingly far distant glamorous destinations I could only dream of - Leeds, Liverpool Lime Street, Newcastle and the regular HSTs from Paignton. We subsequently moved to Yeovil during the dying days of the Class 50s on Waterloo to Exeter.

Putting memory lane aside for now, I very much enjoy building rail travel for the sake of it into my trips around Asia. Whilst in the UK I take a keen interest in the traction, while abroad it’s more about the experience, the ambience, and the view out of the window. A day is never wasted while sitting on a train getting a feel for the countryside and people in the carriage with you, broken up every few hours with a ramble around a town not generally on the tourist trail. I do too much plane travel for business, but as soon as you go somewhere by train, I feel it’s “real travel”.

Anyway, for the first adventure, we find ourselves in Hanoi, Vietnam on a Wednesday evening a couple of weeks ago in late October. The real heat of the summer has just started to subside, but it’s still hot and sweaty enough that my t-shirt is slightly moist from the walk round the city earlier in the day (detail you perhaps didn’t need!). We’re on the famed “train street” for a couple of drinks before heading to the station to board our train. The train street thing a bit of a lie to be honest - there’s actually several “Train Street”s in Hanoi, each trying to appear more prominent on Google Maps and Maps.me to draw the tourists. I’m sure most of you have seen the videos of trains making their way down the middle of a street of bars, making their way between two rows of backpackers drinking, squeezed against the wall.

The rules have changed since I was last here pre-Covid. The local government seem to have woken up to the fact that large unstoppable passenger and frieght trains and drunk westerners on nights out aren’t necessarily ideal bedfellows. They’ve tried to enforce a rule that only householders and their invitees are permitted to enter the train street. I was not aware of this. I tried to walk onto the train street, and a burly security guard fiercely blew his whistle at me, and instructed me that I not permitted to enter. In the split second that I turned round in a state of slight confusion, a Vietnamese lady wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with a large teddy bear told me she could get me in. My partner and I followed her.

I had the moment you quite often get travelling in an unfamiliar country - unsure whether someone is genuinely trying to assist you, or whether you’re about to find yourself in an uncomfortable situation as the certainty you’re being scammed creeps in. Fortunately on this occasion, it was the former - the lady couldn’t have been nicer and she explained the “security rules” that we were now guests of her household, set us up with some tables by the train line, and presented us with a beer menu complete with reasonable prices. She took the names of the friends we were trying to meet, and told us to take a photo of her “teddy” shirt and told us to direct them to find her so that they could also be her “guests”.

Because the lady’s hospitality was fabulous - we stayed her for three hours or so, and drank several more drinks than intended, including some of her father’s home made apple cider, which in truth was probably only drinkable by virtue of the number of beers that had preceded it. Whilst on the street two trains had passed - a surprisingly long container train which passed us at considerable speed, and a passenger train. The train street would strike the fear of god into anyone in a safety critical rule on the UK railways - it wasn’t so much a case of being able to reach out to touch the train, more a case of needed to make sure i contorted myself in such a way so as not to get clouted by a passing staircase sticking out at each doorway. We joined the hordes in placing coins and bottle tops on the line in advance of the train’s arrival to collect flattened afterwards. I had a mental image of the coins being flicked towards me at great speed by passing flanges, although this didn’t seem to be a problem. As much as I enjoyed the experience, it’s hard not to feel that the Vietnamese authorities attempts to close it down aren’t well-placed.

We left just after 9pm to do the 15 minute walk (including several games of chicken with Hanoi traffic) to catch the 10pm train from Hanoi’s rather utilitarian station to Lao Cai in northern Vietnam. This was my partner’s first experience of an overnight sleeper train, and I very much wanted her to enjoy it so I could convince her to do similar things on trips in the future.

There are two trains nightly from Hanoi to northern Vietnam. They are long trains - I think I counted 15 carrriages on ours. There are carriages belonging to the national operator, but each train then includes several other carriages owned and run by private operators - a bit like the Stagecoach coaches on the Aberdeen sleeper pre-privatisation. To try to get my partner the best experience possible, I’d tried to book the most luxurious of these, run by a company called “Vic-Sapa Trains”, at a cost of US$90 each. However, this had been fully booked on our outward journey, so the representative of that firm - who was amazingly helpful - had been emailing me and had offered to arrange us a bed in the second best “Sapaly Express” carriage at US$85.

We reached the featureless, utilitarian station. I needed to pick up the “Sapaly Express” ticket, rather weirdly, from a portable stand next to a kiosk outside the station. This was easily achieved. Access to the tracks at Hanoi is through a concourse on the first level that leads onto the footbridge. Hanoi station seems to have a ton of capacity - there were, from memory, 12 platforms, and a similar number of daily departures. It appears this train sits in the platform all day between its 0525 arrival and 2200 departure.

We found and boarded the Sapaly Express carriage and found our two berth cabin. We were shown to our cabin, and asked if we wanted tea or coffee first thing in the morning. I’d tried Vietnamese coffee enough times to know that the answer to this question needed to be ‘tea’.

First impressions were quite positive - the train was old, but similarly appointed to the old GWR cabins on the Night Riveira, although with one single bed on either side and no sink in the room. Fully lockable from the inside, with a couple of duvets for each bed of different thicknesses, adequate air conditioning (necessary in the warm climate), and a fixed table between the beds with a desklamp, and a small snacks tray including water, a sprite, and a beer each, which I happily consumed as the train departed at 10pm.

We waved goodbye to the friends we’d left on the train street as we passed through, and settled in for the night. This is when we realised our biggest problem for the night - despite being quite central in the carriage, there was an exceptionally loud bang emanating from the underneath of the carriage every few seconds. I don’t know enough about railway engineering to know what would cause this, but as we tried to sleep, it was a sound akin to someone thumping the bottom of your bed every few seconds. The bed itself was a little thin (like the Night Riviera beds) but otherwise quite comfortable. As well as the banging from underneath, the air conditioning vent on the roof was clattering on a regular basis. Eventually, after several hours, I did drift off to sleep. As always on sleeper trains, you wake fairly regularly, and the train stopped at a wayside halt every forty minutes or so. On a couple of occasions, I regretted the quantity of beer and apple wine consumed, as I had to get fully dressed and make my way to either end of the carriage to the scruffy toilet, which was just about acceptable.

Eventually, the train stopped at a station sometime after 5.15. We’d expected an arrival time of 5.55am at the end destination. I don’t like brushing my teeth in the vicinity of strangers, so I did a mental calculation that most would likely set an alarm clock for 5.30, and decided to go to the side-by-side common sinks at twenty past five to make my ablutions, which I successfully achieved without having to meet anyone at such an ungodly hour.

I looked at my GPS, compared to the train timetable, and realised the train was running around 40 minutes late. I looked out the window just as the day broke. There was a misty greyness to it all, but as we passed a couple of tiny hamlets I got that wonderful travel feeling of being somewhere new, somewhere interesting, doing something unusual. You just don’t get that on a plane.

I returned to a cabin comprising my very unhappy partner, who had found the cabin far too cold for her liking (it was fine for me, but we have an endless battle over air conditioning), hadn’t slept much, and wasn’t overly happy with the sleeper train experience, making comments about the misuse of ‘luxury’ in Sapaly Express’s marketing material. This was exacerbated when the carriage attendant made us unpack half our luggage to pay an amount equivalent to 20p each for the morning tea that we’d assumed was complimentary.

The experiment of taking my other half on night trains was failing, and I wasn’t likely to be sipping a pint of Doom Bar on the Night Riviera through Reading any time soon.

We spent three days in the mountain resort of Sapa (the first one in a tired haze), which was an interesting place to go - a short bus ride from the train’s northern terminus of Lao Cai. Amazing sights up the mountains. We’d hired motorbikes in Sapa on the final day before getting the train home, and travelled over Vietnam’s highest road. It had poured with rain, and, at over 2,500 metres, my decision to take only t shirts and shorts for a week in Vietnam was a very bad one. The temperature at that altitude was down to about 16C, but the heavy rain, and the breeze while I was on the bike meant I was still shivering when we got off the bus in Lao Cai.

Lao Cai is a couple of kilometres south of the Chinese border and very much feels like a border town. A bit windswept. A lot of rail infrastructure, some parked freight wagons and a few silent locomotives awaiting their next duty. There’s no through passenger operations from China to Vietnam this way (the Hanoi to Nanning trains go a different way, I think). I think it’s correct to say the railways here are different gauges - but happy to be corrected on this point. So there’s only the two night trains to Hanoi each day. Surprisingly, there’s no day train although some internet research suggests there was pre-Covid. If there had been, I’d have taken it just to look out the window.

The return trip in the Vic-Sapa carriage was a much, much more positive experience to the one out. By the time of our 2130 departure, we were already settled into our double bed in our cozy cabin. The cabin had little more than a double bed arranged with our feet in the direction of travel and a small space between the bed and the sliding door, with a small cupboard on either side of the door which doubled up as a bedside cabinet. This really did fit the definition of luxury. As soon as the train departed, we opened the curtains and lay in the enormously comfortable bed staring out the window while playing Risk on the iPad, consuming the complementaries that had been left in the room. Again, a couple of beers, some soft drinks, some water, some rice cakes and a couple of chocolates. All were consumed, mostly in celebration of the fact there was no ‘thumping bang’ from the underside of the train in this carriage.

The communal areas of the train were also beautifully fitted out with faux marble floors and lovely wooden door panels etc. It was newly decorated - the website indicated it was less than six months old. In some cases (i.e. the compartment door), it had been badly designed and scratches were appearing. It’s new enough that this doesn’t hurt the ambience but I’d imagine over time this will look worse.

Most bizarre (but not unpleasant) was the toilet I was using. I think this was actually in the next carriage and I’m not sure this was a Vic-Sapa carriage. The toilet, which was spotlessly clean, had been decked out with a brick tiles to make it look like a brick wall. Very strange, it felt like I could have been in the corner of a building site. However, because it was so clean, it was nice to use. There were both communal sink facilities and a sink in the brick toilet.

After using the bathroom, I returned to the cabin and we turned the lights off. Within minutes, we were asleep, and other than stirring at a couple of intermediate stations, we slept soundly. I awoke at 4.50am, and applying the same logic as I’d used on the way out, made my way to the bathroom to prepare for the day in advance of the 5.25am arrival.

We’d both felt this had been a much more pleasurable experience, and thankfully, I think the experience was good enough that my partner will be convinced to do a sleeper train again. I also assured her that most sleeper trains don’t involve quite such an early arrival in the morning, and the experience is much more pleasurable. The post 8am arrival in Penzance seems like a dream when in Vietnam. In both directions, we were on the later of the two overnight trains - I’ve no idea why Vietnam Railways don’t run these trains a couple of hours later but I assume there’s a reason.

Overall, a really interesting couple of days. I’m not sure we’ll feel the need to go to Sapa again. For anyone considering heading up to Northern Vietnam, I would give the train a go. I’d rather have had a day train in one direction, and the extra $5 for the Vic-Sapa Train was worth every cent.

If I can work out how to upload pictures I’ll add some.

And so ends my first foray into Trip Reporting - I now appreciate the amount of effort all the regulars put into it - it takes quite a bit of time! Perhaps in future I’ll learn to be less ‘wordy’!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesr

Some photos below. What I am missing is a decent picture of the train from the front… On the way out, I’d seen the previous train leave ten mins early and it was a ten-coach walk to the front. On the way back, at the border station, I’d been attracting attention strolling along the platform, and staff kept trying to stop me and direct me back to my carriage, so I gave up trying to get the front of the train!

Attachments

• IMG_7237.jpeg
    IMG_7237.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7496.jpeg
    IMG_7496.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7498.jpeg
    IMG_7498.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7499.jpeg
    IMG_7499.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7500.jpeg
    IMG_7500.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7501.jpeg
    IMG_7501.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7223.jpeg
    IMG_7223.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15

jamesr

Further photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_7495.jpeg
    IMG_7495.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7524.jpeg
    IMG_7524.jpeg
  • IMG_7520.jpeg
    IMG_7520.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7236.jpeg
    IMG_7236.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7232.jpeg
    IMG_7232.jpeg
  • IMG_7494.jpeg
    IMG_7494.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

Techniquest

Veteran Member
While Asia doesn't really appeal to me all that much, I did enjoy that read :) Welcome to the world of trip reporting, hopefully there will be more to come soon as that was an enjoyable read.

From someone who does lengthy trip reports, I'd keep to what you're doing, shortening them might make them less appealing. Ideally write them for your own benefit, ready to look back on in the future, and you'll find that it's a more enjoyable experience. I'm doing that with my annual review of what I got up to in 2023, it's taken me more than 3.5 hours so far but I'm definitely enjoying the experience more. Sometimes when writing my own trip reports, I do wonder if they're too long, not interesting enough and what have you, but if it's something you've enjoyed discussing then it'll be all good :)

jamesr

While Asia doesn't really appeal to me all that much, I did enjoy that read :) Welcome to the world of trip reporting, hopefully there will be more to come soon as that was an enjoyable read.

From someone who does lengthy trip reports, I'd keep to what you're doing, shortening them might make them less appealing. Ideally write them for your own benefit, ready to look back on in the future, and you'll find that it's a more enjoyable experience. I'm doing that with my annual review of what I got up to in 2023, it's taken me more than 3.5 hours so far but I'm definitely enjoying the experience more. Sometimes when writing my own trip reports, I do wonder if they're too long, not interesting enough and what have you, but if it's something you've enjoyed discussing then it'll be all good :)
Thanks Techniquest - I’ve been enjoying reading your reports for years, keep up the good work.

I’m currently weighing up whether to spend a week filling in some gaps in my coverage the UK early in the year which will bring me back into more familiar territory!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what would those coverage gaps be? There's certainly plenty of interest around the UK at the moment!

Iskra

Established Member
Welcome to the community! A very interesting trip for sure and the train street does indeed sound like a health and safety nightmare. I can empathise with hoping for a good sleeper journey so that your partner agrees to do more sleepers. That second train looks really nice. I’m looking forward to reading about your future travels, it seems you get to some interesting places! :)

railfan99

Established Member
And so ends my first foray into Trip Reporting - I now appreciate the amount of effort all the regulars put into it - it takes quite a bit of time! Perhaps in future I’ll learn to be less ‘wordy’!

I did Sapa in 2014 with my wife, but didn't have the hassles you had on the forward journey. I even had a haircut in open air along a road.

When we travelled the trains were chock-a-block so good to see that demand continues.

The night train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) was very good (save for an overbooking problem on the second leg): we did it in two stages.

Vietnam is a good rail destination, though Thailand is better given its extensive network. Philippines lacks railways bar for a minimal presence in metro Manila (sadly) but its beaches (especially in the central island of Visayas) and general friendliness of people beats both.

jamesr

Out of interest, what would those coverage gaps be? There's certainly plenty of interest around the UK at the moment!
Basically, everything north of the Pennines that isn’t WCML or ECML. If I end up with some time in the UK in March, I might think about a Scottish Rover.

jamesr

Welcome to the community! A very interesting trip for sure and the train street does indeed sound like a health and safety nightmare. I can empathise with hoping for a good sleeper journey so that your partner agrees to do more sleepers. That second train looks really nice. I’m looking forward to reading about your future travels, it seems you get to some interesting places! :)
Thanks Iskra - it’s also been a pleasure covering your various travels!

jamesr

I did Sapa in 2014 with my wife, but didn't have the hassles you had on the forward journey. I even had a haircut in open air along a road.

When we travelled the trains were chock-a-block so good to see that demand continues.

The night train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) was very good (save for an overbooking problem on the second leg): we did it in two stages.

Vietnam is a good rail destination, though Thailand is better given its extensive network. Philippines lacks railways bar for a minimal presence in metro Manila (sadly) but its beaches (especially in the central island of Visayas) and general friendliness of people beats both.
It’s sad to see that the number of daily trains has dropped - I think Vietnam had some fairly stringent Covid rules, and, like where I’m based in Hong Kong, I think it takes time to get everything moving properly when you hit ‘pause’ for two years.

Very, very tempted to do Hanoi - HCMC although I travelled the first hour or so to Ninh Binh a few years ago (nothing compared to the full trip!) and the windows were too filthy to see much, and my pet hate of people closing all the curtains seemed to be in play!

I don’t think I’ve ever done any rail in Thailand other than the Bangkok Airport Express - must give it a look. The Metro in Manila was very, very busy when I was there.

I’ll be back in Taiwan very shortly - while the network looks small viewed on a map, I find rail there very interesting. Report to follow in a week or so!

jamesr

Shortly before Christmas, my partner and I found some cheap flights to the city of Taichung in Taiwan. Taiwan is a fascinating place both as a place to visit and from a railway perspective.

I was enormously surprised when I just googled to discover it’s about 1.75 times the size of Wales - it’s amazing how high speed rail can shrink a place in your mind - the quickest high speed trains from north to south take just over an hour and a half.

I think I’m right in saying the Japanese built most of Taiwan’s railways, and the system feels very Japanese. Aside from the high speed line from north to south down the west coast, there’s an oval of traditional rail which runs basically round the circumference of the island with only a handful of branches and a duplicate line in the heavily populated north-west. On most parts of the oval, there are slow, semi-fast and named fast express trains (primarily for getting to places where the high speed rail doesn’t get, but event the express trains taking at least twice the time).

Taichung itself has rather fascinatingly rebuilt it’s classic main line and main station at the beginning of the last decade on an elevated line quite high above the city, freeing up the space underneath which has mostly been used as a park and cycle route, much of which we cycled on one of the dates.

The cycle route ends at the new elevated main station, but the old station has been left intact as a collection of railway relics at ground level alongside - it’s quite fascinating. Having closed relatively recently, it retains some recent route maps and information, but the disconnected tracks have been filled with historic trains (some photos below - I can’t claim enough knowledge about Taiwanese locomotives and rolling stock to provide much detail). The platforms themselves had been converted into a market selling items of little interest to me, but it created a nice atmosphere. There’s a stretch of footpath to the south west where a lot of the old railway tracks and signalling equipment have been utilised as an urban design feature.

Taiwan’s handful of branch lines always lead to interesting places - my partner and I have previously done the well publicised and touristed Pingxi Line in the north east, so we thought we’d travel up the Jiji line, which leaves the main line about eight stops south of Taichung. There’s a “day ranger” on the Jiji line which costs NTD$80 (about GBP2.00).

We caught the fairly standard EMU on the slow service down to the junction at Ershui - the express services were of more interest - very “TGV” looking sets. The train was busy but we got seats enabling a decent view out of the window - initially a view of the sprawling industrial bits of Taichung but it got prettier as we headed south.

At Ershui, we had about 15 minutes to buy the day ticket for the Jiji line. My partner speaks Mandarin and was able to understand that the far end of the branch line, the last two stations, were substituted by bus owing to engineering work - this was a bit of a shame, but having come this far, we decided to go for it.

The branch line was fascinating - a two coach DMU which sounded much like a Class 150 took us up the route at a fairly sedate pace. The carriages had metro style longitudinal seating but open across the corridor connection like a Class 700. The carriage was partitioned with an interesting circular design. Most interestingly, the cab was only half width, with the other half set out as a seating area with a view out the front window - which surprisingly didn’t seem popular, except with me, who thought it was wonderful! We watched as the train wound up the mountain valley, stopping at small wayside stations (there are five intermediate stops on the branch, and a couple of passing loops). When the full length of the line is open, it takes 50 minutes, and runs every 1hr 20mins, presumably governed by the location of passing loops.

After about half an hour, we were chucked off the train at the town of Jiji which was the edge of the engineering works. We’d planned to walk around Jiji, but the replacement bus to the end of the line was right by the platform, so we caught it.

It wound up the valley, no more than 20 minutes drive, to the former logging terminus station of Checheng. The station itself would make a perfect model railway - a single track emerges from a tunnel and fans into six or seven lines - a two platform station and a goods yard where logging trains would have been loaded. The place had been turned into a tourist / education centre, but the rail infrastructure had been left intact, and, as always in this part of the world, we were free to stroll around the operational railway and its sidings. Again, several historic locomotives had been left around the site, seemingly for tourists to climb all over. However, it wasn’t particularly busy so I had plenty of opportunity to explore without others present in photographs!

After a coffee, and an hour and a half or so, we took the rail replacement bus back to Jiji - it’s a great shame the train wasn’t running, but an excuse to return I guess! At Jiji, we hired a couple of bicycles and cycled 20km or so around the area - Jiji sits in a flood plain at the base of a steep valley, cycling the flood plain is easy. Jiji was the epicentre of a major earthquake in 1999 and perhaps the highlight is the collapsed Wuchang Temple, which fell almost perfectly to the floor from its supporting structure.

We spent far more time in Jiji than expected, and it was getting dark by the time we returned to the station, so we returned to Taichung, via a lengthy connection at Ershui. The EMU that took us from Ershui to Taichung was differently designed from the one that had bought us out - flat fronted like a traditional metro train although it was much the same inside.

All in all, another interesting day courtesy of Taiwan’s railways - one day I’ll find the time to do the whole of the oval, but I feel to do it justice, I need to do it over an extended period and have time to stop in small towns along the way.

railfan99

Established Member
Great report and photos.

In 2015, my wife and I managed to go all the way to Checheng, exactly as you described.

We caught the connecting minibus to Sun Moon Lake, staying at a good but reasonably priced hotel.

I've been twice to Taiwan. Put it on your visiting list: street food in cities like Taipei is excellent. Most of the island seems more advanced than mainland China: median incomes are higher.

jamesr

Hokkaido

Mid January, and I find myself picking the most inopportune part of the year to take a trip to the frozen north of Japan. Several years ago, during the height of the protests in my current home of Hong Kong, I’d made a spur of the moment decision following travel disruption to fly from Tokyo to Sapporo and I spent a very enjoyable day taking the ten-hour round trip to Japan’s most northerly point, Wakkanai. The scenery was beautiful. The railway was fascinating, and while the town was a bit desolate, it was weirdly odd in that the road signs were in Japanese and Russian - something I had not expected.

I’d spent most of the way back on that trip reading about the railways of Hokkaido, and decided to do a five day pass. Circumstances have since conspired against me - a family illness had forced me to cancel the first trip, and the second had been scheduled for Easter 2020, when Covid ruined everything.

The railways of Hokkaido are fascinating - I think they are basically what the UK’s railways would be like if Beeching had never happened. A couple of trunk routes with regular service, but otherwise regional lines with only a handful of fast trains per day supplemented by single car local trains which dawdle along, taking forever, stopping at wayside halts which look like they have no reason to exist. But the population of Hokkaido is shrinking as kids move to the city, and there seems to be a strong likelihood that the network will shrink over forthcoming years - a couple of lines have disappeared from the map during Covid, and I wanted to see the rest of it before it’s too late.

So now, during this work break, I finally had the chance to get to Hokkaido. When booking, I was aware it would be cold (although perhaps I underestimated how cold), and Hokkaido is far enough north (about level with Bordeaux, by my reckoning) that the winter daylight hours are a bit limited.

I was using airline points amassed over years of employment, and had ended up booking Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines out through Tokyo Haneda - these were two separate tickets rather than a through ticket. Cathay hugely improved the four hour Hong Kong to Tokyo leg by unexpectedly upgrading me to business - this is only the second time this has happened to me and was hugely welcome following the 5.30am alarm call.

Haneda is the airport in Tokyo closer to the city - I’ve been here before a few times but don’t think I’ve ever transferred here. I arrived in terminal 3, cleared immigration and customs and then needed to make my way to domestic Terminal 1. I eschewed the free bus in preference to catching the Monorail two of it’s eleven stops (it’s part of the metro, not just an airport link), just because you should always take a monorail when the option is there. For 200 yen (just over a quid), it was a good way of getting rid of some change. The monorail itself feels much like any other metro train.

Terminal 1 was where I had my first sign that the weather might impact my journey. I was in a bit of a hurry - my flight was scheduled to arrive in Sapporo at 6pm. The office for buying the rail pass closed at 7pm, and my train the following morning left before the rail pass office opened. The impact of not getting a rail pass was likely to be far more expensive travel. So I’d really hoped to be able to get off the plane, out of the airport and into that office before 7pm, and, accordingly, had only packed hand luggage.

I got to Terminal 1. The 1415 flight to Sapporo was “delayed”, the 1530 flight had a note on the screen saying “Due to a snowstorm, this flight may not be able to land and might return to Haneda”, the 1630 flight that I was scheduled on just said “Check-in suspended”, and later flights were cancelled.

At that point, I resigned myself to making a new plan for the forthcoming days, but approached the ticket counter and showed the lady my booking within the app. There were no English speakers to be found at the domestic terminal - this is not a great surprise - and we had a stunted conversation through Google Translate, which resulted in her taking my passport and booking reference away and asking me to sit. (In Japan, life is safe, I don’t worry too much about parting company with my passport!).

Flights around me to several northern Japanese destinations were being cancelled, and twenty minutes later there was a long queue at the counter. I was starting to worry I’d been forgotten about and approached the counter. To my surprise, she handed me a boarding pass not to my 1630 flight but to the earlier 1530 flight, and I made my way through to board it.

It was busy, it left half an hour late due to the delay on the incoming flight, I had a middle seat, but things had worked out well, and I was very grateful to the lady in the terminal. Ultimately, it did make it through to a very snowy Sapporo airport, and I was at the Japan Rail Pass counter before my original scheduled arrival time.

The Rail Pass costs 21,000 yen (about GBP113) for five days unlimited travel in Hokkaido. Getting it was very simple. I also managed to reserve myself on the train I wanted the following morning from Sapporo (although the lady at the counter said it had a very high chance of cancellation owing to snow).

I made my way to the platform for the Airport service which runs every 12 minutes (although some had been cancelled for weather) and makes a handful of commuter stops on the way into the city. The station was underground but the 6-car EMU was covered in snow. As soon as it came out of the covered station the extent of the snow was clear - it was like a blizzard. When stopping at stations, the boarding area of the platforms had been cut out of the snow, and the displaced snow was piled behind the platforms, often heaped several metres high.

Repeated recorded messages apologised for the disruption due to heavy snow, and the 40 minute journey into Sapporo eventually took about 1 hour ten mins. I had planned to head out again in the evening, but the weather was making seeing out of train windows very hard, and given the cancellations and the temperature - somewhere around -10C, I didn’t want to risk being stranded on a station platform for too long. So I bought some supplies for the evening and retired to my hotel room.

Day 2.

Day 2 saw another early start - my 5.30am alarm leaving me in plenty of time to get to the 6.50am “Okhotsk Express” service to the town of Abashiri, some five hours and twenty minutes eastwards. All Japanese long distance trains are named - it doesn’t seem to make much difference (I guess the same as named trains in the UK).

I had prepared myself for the disappointment of a cancellation in my head and had a Plan B in mind. However, all was good, the train was running. The station kiosk opened at 6.30am and I had time to buy some sandwiches and drinks - just as well as there was unexpectedly no catering onboard the train. I also managed to pick up a JR Hokkaido timetable book (the website tries to be helpful, but I like to see it all laid out in front of me). It’s all in Japanese, contains more tables and sub tables than I expected, but I found that by treating it as a logic puzzle, I managed to make it work for me and I think I can now use it. For identifying station names, it helps that Japanese shares some characters with Chinese which I’ve spent a little time studying but I think anyone with an understanding of how railway timetables normally work would get there.

A three-car DMU, again covered in snow, arrived ten minutes before departure and I took my reserved seat, taking time to step off again to remove the snow from the outside of the window by my seat so I could see out. Daylight was already in the sky as the train departed, and I prepared myself for a fabulous morning of staring out of the window (especially since there was no option to charge my phone!). For the first 90 minutes to Asahikawa the train runs under the wires, following the route I took to Wakkanai some years ago. It’s a relatively built up part of Hokkaido, and a bit unremarkable - like a lot of Japan, boxy, a bit industrial and grey.

After Asahikawa, the train leaves the wires and heads down the single-track main line for the further 160 miles to Abashiri. It was great, largely in a valley between two mountains. And the snow… my god, there was so much of it. Huge mounds of the stuff in every direction. At times the train hit piles of it, sending powdery snow up past the windows of the train. It was beautiful.

Every ten minutes or so we hit a passing loop, passing the morning express at one point, and a couple of single carriage rural trains on the way. At one point, we reversed - all of the seats on Japanese trains are reversible (something I’ve only seen in Hong Kong trams, Sydney, and the Manx Electric Railway!), so at the reversal point, everyone got up and turned their seats round. This also had the beneficial effect of giving me more window and less wall to look at.

It was a fabulous trip. At one point, my watch informed me that the temperature outside was -17C, but by the time we got to Abashiri it had warmed up to a positively balmy -8C, and, having left my luggage in a locker, and put on my ski clothes and snow boots, I went for a three hour stroll around Abashiri.

I’ll be honest, I’d expected more. My first port of call was the coast - I had a desire to see ice in the sea. It was about 45 minutes walk from the station, but I got there. Firstly, there was so much snow piled against the tsunami wall it was impossible to get onto it, but when I did see a view, there was no ice in the sea (and it was actually quite rough)… I guess the ice is not yet breaking up and it’s a bit early.

I’d also walked to the wrong side of the river for most of the town, so I retraced my steps, crossed the river, walked along the waterfront and into the town’s main shopping street. It was deserted, and a bit depressing. It was the middle of the day on a Tuesday, but three-quarters of the shutters were down, perhaps for the winter, perhaps permanently. They seemed to have tried to make it winter-proof by putting a roof over the pavement, but all the roof did was cut out the weak sunshine, and with snow piled up beside the road, the wind whistled down the pavement corridors. I felt cold, so I did what everyone else in Abashiri seems to have done, and went to the station to get out.

After a half hour wait at the station which I used to reserve future seats using the very easily navigated machines (how a Japanese person visiting the UK navigates our rail ticketing system, I have no idea!), the 1510 to Kushiro rolled in. Kushiro is around 100 miles south of Abashiri - basically following the most easterly bit of coast Japan has, and the single car unit - a local train is the only option here - takes about three and hour hours.

The single car unit is comfortable, and, importantly, nice and warm. There is a view out of the front and out of the back of the train which is great as a rail enthusiast and makes it feel very open. I had similar in Taiwan a couple of months ago - it’s such a shame that British trains consider this a distraction to the driver. It stayed light for the first half of the journey - and, wow, what scenery. For the first 45 minutes out of Abashiri the train tracked the coast, running through sand dunes, and it was stunning - it made me forget the sadness of empty Abashiri.

The whole journey had a real local train feel to it. There were about 15 people on board at the beginning (including an enthusiast competing with me for picture spots!), although this dwindled to three in the middle of the journey before about 15 school kids got on, and stayed on getting off at the final stop before Kushiro.

A great day - really enjoyed it. Three more days to come (and some pictures to follow!)

jamesr

Day 3

I love a good geographical extremity, and my main aim on Day 3 was to get to Japan’s most easterly rail station. I would have liked to have gone out to Cape Nosappu, the most easterly point in Japan, but it was still umpteen kilometres off the railway, it is freezing cold, and I don’t fancy trying to work out buses.

A slightly later start today from my rather uncomfortable bed in a hotel in Kushiro. I took the 0821, again formed of a single car. Looking much like a British Class 153, what I believe was a KIHA54 class train built in the mid-80s (don’t ask me, I just googled it) was to take me for the 2hr 30mins, 80 mile trip up to the most easterly part of Japan.

The timetable contained a rather unusual amendment section, rather like a leaf fall timetable, stating that because the trains were having to stop for wildlife too often, they’d added about five minutes to the timetable of certain early morning and late evening trains during the winter. My trains out and back were not amongst the amended services - I found myself wondering whether the daytime shift drivers just ploughed on through…

The Kushiro - Nemuro line is stunning - I’d go so far as to say it is one of the most scenic routes I have ever travelled. The line leaves built up Kushiro over a long bridge and quickly gets out of built up areas. The train stopped around 12 times - all of these places would struggle to be titled more than a village, some were hamlets, some were seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

The line climbs out of Kushiro through dense hilly forest, passing through a few tunnels. What really struck me was the wildlife, it was everywhere. Foxes, deer, even eagles, all seemingly unperturbed by the train (and frequently in front of it, prompting sharp breaking and several emergency brakes). It felt as though the job of train driver along this route was more a wildlife preservation role than anything else. I think the train stopped for wildlife on at least six occasions, and it would not be an exaggeration to say I must have seen 150 deer on the journey.

At Akkeshi, and again at Ochiishi, the line hits the coast. Both are staggeringly beautiful sections. The Akkeshi section sits right by the coast for some distance - following a bay shoreline, which was almost entirely iced up today other than a few patches of exposed water attracting the birds. The Ochiishi section is higher up, in sand dunes but looks out over a rugged coastline with jagged rocks at the end of each cliff, and a sea arch easily visible from the railway.

The train itself was empty, there were 9 people from Kushiro but I think all but 3 got off at the first sizeable hamlet. For some distance there was only one other person on board, who must have got annoyed with my continually going to the back of the single car unit to film out the back window (again, these open front and back units are wonderful for tourist lines).

Because the line curls back on itself into Nemuro, Japan’s most easterly station is not the final stop, but the penultimate stop, so I made the decision to alight here at Higashi Nemuro (I believe Higashi means “east”) and walk into Nemuro.

Having been to Japan’s most northerly station, Wakkanai, which has a big display, and a gift shop commemorating it’s most northerly position, I was expecting big things from Higashi Nemuro. What I got was Japan’s answer to Chetnole. There was nothing there. I stepped off the train onto a barren concrete platform (much like Chetnole). There was a small totem saying “Japan’s most easterly station” (only in Japanese) but little else. I paced from one end of the small platform to the other, took a couple of photos, and left. But, for a small while, I was the most easterly person on the railway network in all of Asia…

Nemuro was a nice town. The temperature has risen to -2C, and the sun felt strong, meaning that sunny patches were turning to ice, making walking challenging at points. I walked to the sea front, and along it a little - the sea spray had iced at points which was interesting. The fishing harbour was frozen, but the town was nice. I liked it. Still a complete lack of any visible retail - perhaps the Japanese don’t shop in shops anymore. I was again surprised to see both shops and road signs in Japanese, English and Russian - a sign of the historic (and not particularly peaceful) links between here and Russia’s Sakhalin peninsula. To be honest, both here and yesterday, what I would have loved was a coffee shop, but I’ve not found one in Hokkaido outside of main city Sapporo.

At about 1315, I went to Nemuro’s main station for the 1334 train back to Kushiro. This was formed of another single car. This, Google has identified for me, was formed of an older KiHa 40 series train, built in the mid 70s. It looks cool, with it’s curved windows, but it was not as comfortable inside and while it had some front and rear visibility, it wasn’t as much and didn’t feel as open. This train was busier - between 12 and 20 people all the way.

The journey back enjoyed the same views and just as much wildlife, until just after Kami-Oboro station the inevitable happened and we hit one of the deer despite an emergency brake application. The poor creature thudded against the bottom of the single car unit. The driver stopped the train, got out to take a look (presumably to ensure that the train wasn’t damaged rather than to perform emergency veterinary work) and after a pause of about ten minutes, we continued. I briefly considered putting “have you guys considered putting a fence up?” into Google Translate but it seemed to obvious a solution.

The train returned to Kushiro ten minutes late at 1605. This was my itinerary for the day done, but the temperature had dropped to about -5C, so walking round Kushiro in the dark didn’t appeal, my hotel wasn’t very comfortable, and 4pm seems to early to stop using a day of rail pass.

So I made a spur of the moment decision to jump on the unreserved car on the 1612 7-car “Super Ozora Express” heading for Sapporo in the next platform - this being the same route I’ll cover tomorrow, but I’ve done the other routes out of Kushiro. After departure, I looked at the timetable for where to alight for return options, and realised it wasn’t a brilliant move. The first station had a 2 hour wait for a return train, the second was an hour further down the line and had an hour 20 minutes wait.

I went for the latter on the basis it filled the evening. I alighted at a town called Ikeda at 1730. Upon alighting, this claimed to be “the hometown of wine”, which I suspect the French might challenge. If it was the hometown of wine, it didn’t appear to have any shops to sell it. Apparently, they have a big wine festival each year which is hugely popular. This evening, however, it was cold, and snowy and closed. I had a nice 40 minute stroll and found a convenience store for supplies - I was enjoying the crunch of snow under my feet - but was glad to get back to the warmth of the waiting room.

At 1834, the H100 series single car local train turned up to sit in the platform til 1851 then ponderously take me back to Kushiro over two and a half hours. The H100 series is modern, built this decade, and it’s horrible inside. It’s like someone’s taken the ironing board seats from Thameslink and added a bump in the middle of your back. They are cramped, the view isn’t as good. It was a long trip back to Kushiro.

The line was the main line round these parts, and JR Hokkaido schedule fast, slow, and freight trains in both directions through a single line with passing/overtaking loops every five to ten minutes. The scheduling must be a mathematical challenge. My train seemed to be bottom of the heap, and stopped for ten minutes in the middle of nowhere at least three times. The journey of about 60 miles took exactly two and a half hours. I felt sorry for the 10 or so students who were onboard before I boarded, and sat through several extended waits to go three stops down the line, and presumably do so daily.

All in all, a good day. Today’s general observations:-

All these single car trains are one-man operated, much like a local bus in the UK. You get on, you take a ticket from a machine by the driver. When you get off, you leave by the driver’s door, paying according to a fare table displayed in cash to the cash box while getting the Japanese bow of thanks from the driver. There appears to be some sort of frequent use card. The trains aren’t so busy that this takes up much time but even so, it must be a bit of a distraction to the driver at each stop, particularly if he’s also spending his working day collecting wildlife remnants from the underside of his train.

Japanese train whistles are amazing - they are high pitched akin to the wooden train whistles you used to get as a kid, and sound like a steam train. This seems to apply even to new build express DMU’s.

Hokkaido’s trains are mostly very quiet, although they seem to have fallen for the same disease of endless announcements that we have in the UK, repeated in Japanese, Mandarin and English. It is absolute bliss that the Japanese all follow the social norm of not having mobile phone conversations within the carriage and will move to the vestibule for a phone conversation - it makes travel so much nicer. The trains are also, without fail, spotlessly clean and equipped with litter bins big enough or emptied often enough to be usable.

Quite a few of the station buildings on the Nemuro line appear at first glance like portakabins but upon closer inspection turn out to be old railway carriages - this was the case with at least six of them - some photos below. I would like to have looked inside on of them.

Finally, every staffed station here appears to have an ink stamp for public use - I assume this is officially sanctioned station collecting by Japanese Railways, and seemed to be being used by adults as much as children.

Off across the south coast to Hakodate tomorrow.

jamesr

Day 4.

Day 4 was a bit of a trainfest - Google Maps tells me that it Kushiro (where I started the day) is 335 miles and over seven hours drive away by car.

I started the day on the 0819 Super Ozura Express from Kushiro - a six car set similar to the one I took yesterday. There seems to be a variety of 6 and 7 car sets. The train has one first class “green car” with 2+1 seating, which my rail pass doesn’t extend to, and the rest of the train has 2+2 seating, which seems perfectly comfortable and spacious, even on the rare occasion that it’s busy enough for someone to be sat next to me (which has only happened for two brief periods so far). The seats recline quite considerably, but are far enough apart that the seat in front reclined doesn’t eat into your space. The only surprising thing is the complete lack of any vending machines, trolley or buffet services - all these long distance trips are 4 to 6 hours end to end and unlike British trains, there’s plenty of space onboard for walking through to a buffet or with a trolley.

Aside from the green car, the train is split into 4 reserved and one or two unreserved cars. From my experience so far, it appears that everyone reserves, and the non-reserved car is always empty. I’m tempted to board at the last minute tomorrow and take the non-reserved car rather than my reserved seat, (where I might have to exchange awkward nods of acknowledgement with a stranger!).

The 0819 was the heaviest loaded train I’ve seen in Hokkaido thus far. It ran non-stop for an hour and twenty minutes from Kushiro to Ikeda where I stopped yesterday, where no-one boarded my coach, but then filled to probably 80% full at the larger town of Obhiro.

The route was again very pretty - I missed in the darkness yesterday that there were again nice coastal stretches but after Shintoku the route crosses a mountain range, crossing numerous iced up rivers and through numerous long tunnels which must have been a challenge to build. Again it was mostly single track, but with regular passing places. Interestingly, every set of points was covered by a lengthy piece of corrugated metal roof of several hundred meters. I would hazard a guess that this is protection against the winter weather, to save points from being covered in snow and getting frozen solid, but there could be other explanations.

On other point of interest for the weather is that aside from points heaters, they appear to have green heated pads at level crossings which melts the snow off the road at level crossings, presumably to stop anyone sliding off the road or getting stuck on the crossings. Given the state of the ice on some of the roads, I can see how this helps.

After three and a half hours, I alighted at Minami-Chitose, a key junction between the Kushiro route, the main route to Hakodate and also the Sapporo airport junction I’d passed on Day 1 - I’d basically completed a big loop of the east. Now it was time to do the same of the west.

I boarded a boring 6 car EMU on a “Suzuran Express” train in the empty unreserved car. I could have travelled to Hakodate from Minami-Chitose but had found a detour. Instead, I alighted after 20 minutes at Tomakomai.

Tomakomai is a junction station next to a big industrial plant, and feels like it would be a great place to sit on the end of the platform on a summers day watching regular passenger and freight pass - two freight movements passed in the 25 minutes I sat on the platform.

My detour was down what is left of the Hidaka Line, back onto the KiHa 40 series units with their attractive curved front windows. This line used to run some 80 miles along the south coast, but parts of it were washed away in a typhoon in 2011. The local government finally decided in 2015 not to rebuild the line, knowing that it had to cut costs in light of the dwindling local population. Only half an hour of it is left, down to the down of Mukawa.

I had assumed this stub had been left for a reason and that there was something interesting to see on the branch and in Mukawa. I was wrong, and quickly jumped back on the train for the return trip rather than spend two hours in a small windswept village. The branch itself is nondescript - it passes across the back of industry, slightly too far from the coast for decent sea views, and through fairly flat farmland. Other than spotting another dozen or so deer, there was little to say for it. I was aware of some recently closed stations (the government has axed 25 stations across Hokkaido to save money), but I couldn’t even identify where they might have been. Again, most were just huts converted from railway carriages sitting on gravel. Once the weeds grow, there’s nothing to see.

Back at Tomakomai, I took the 1416 Express (I forget the dedicated name!) for the three hour trip to Hakodate. Another 6-car DMU of the same type as the Ozura earlier. I had expected the line to be both electrified and double track - it is (and always has been) Hokkaido’s main line to the rest of Japan. It was not electrified and had surprisingly long stretches of single line - again local and fast inter worked with freight in both directions, with passing loops doubling as overtaking spots.

The line was again scenic - sticking impressively to the coast where the mountains down from the ski resorts his the sea, with a long section west of Toya which is like Exeter to Teignmouth on steroids. It then turns inland and runs through an interesting lakes and woodland area for the last half an hour into Hokkaido. It’s been warmer today (the temperature finally got above zero for the first time this week while I was at Tomakomai).

The bit just south and west of the mountains had heaps of snow. On the small local stations, this had not been cleared off the platforms, and there was clearly a metre / three foot of untouched snow on the platform surfaces. These are stations that survived the recent government cull of underused stations - but these stations are served by five or six local trains each way per day, it hasn’t snowed since Monday, and clearly no-one has set foot on the platform. Some of these stations really do have nothing near them. Perhaps they are used in the summer for walkers… I spent some time wondering what I would do if I arrived at a station and the door opened to a metre of snow - it would be a challenge to make it across the platform!

I arrived in Hakodate just after 5pm and will admit I had reached my limit on the trains, and as the temperature was slightly above freezing, and the pavements free of ice, I walked around the city. Population of 250,000, but shrinking quite rapidly, but it felt like a vibrant, attractive city, with wide thoroughfares, some well kept historical buildings. As a trading port, there were surprising non-Japanese influences as well - both Russian and Greek Orthodox churches, and big wide thoroughfares. I caught a cable car to the top of the hill above the city (cost: GBP10, but the view was good). I came back down after some photos and an empty-handed search round a gift shop and found myself a sushi place - I am absolute fanatic for sushi and ate until I could not stomach any more.

I then caught a streetcar home, purely because they had really clear instructions in English about how to understand the ticketing system. It seemed like a fabulously efficient system.

On final note - both here and Sapporo I’ve stayed in Japanese Railways hotels above the station - I have an amazing view here of all the platforms. But better than that - they are brilliant, clean, comfortable and great value for money. These one offered a library of 12 different types of pillows when I arrived. On that note, I’m off to bed.

jamesr

B6844A8F-1ABF-4D4E-BA82-D35375F234D4.jpeg74BB842E-AA5D-46B2-9D5B-A5401F244F50.jpegD4B1361A-E5D2-4CE2-8521-BB702E841668.jpeg427E7A7A-0F17-4CDC-9ED7-EFCCFFF7F8DE.jpeg85740AE6-41E4-4325-889F-CC9A6BC43F87.jpeg6CE661C3-E7DA-4C54-A264-554049CE7B25.jpeg91BE76DB-2C9B-4DE6-AA35-56E210560F8D.jpegC64524DD-E540-44B4-9E15-2F66D4F72926.jpeg
The circular building is the historic “signal box” for the tramway junction in Hakodate.

jamesr

Day 5 - Hakodate to Sapporo

I woke up surprisingly early on the Friday in Hakodate, down in Hokkaido’s south western corner, and since I was awake a plan formed in my head to get an extra route in - Hokkaido’s only non-JR main railway route. The rest of Japan has quite a few private railways. I don’t quite understand the politics - you have the four main regions of JR, but if the central government decides it no longer wishes to subsidise a route, the local councils seem to get together to form a company or get in a private operator - something like that anyway.

Since my hotel was above the rail station, I quickly packed and went downstairs to catch the 0650 to Kikonai. Being a private line, it wasn’t covered by my rail pass so I had to buy a ticket for JPY1,170 (GBP6.20) each way (Japan doesn’t do return tickets). Seemed a fair price for the 40km one hour journey.

I was hoping for some unusual stock and was a bit disappointed to see one of the KiHa 40 series single units roll in, albeit painted in a pretty yellow colour scheme. The first half of the route was fairly suburban, the second half yet another attractive coast-hugging route - Hokkaido has been absolutely full of these! I was expecting a train heading out of the town to be quite empty at this time of day, but it was busy enough with students that some had to stand, although most only travelled a few stops.

Kikonai is a small town but is the site of one of only two Shinkansen (bullet train) stations in Hokkaido (the other being Shin-Hakodate; the route is being extended to Sapporo by 2030). I’ve been lucky enough to travel by Shinkansen a handful of times before, but I was still hoping to catch a glimpse. However, it’s all behind concrete walls. I had an hour 20 minutes before the return train, and walked around the town a bit. It was below freezing, but bright morning sunshine made it feel quite pleasant. I was still hunting for a coffee shop, but found nothing, got a hot milk tea from a vending machine at the station and sat on the sea wall awaiting the same train back at 0913. The 1hr20mins wait didn’t seem like a particularly efficient use of rolling stock - it appears to do this all day, but I guess it keeps things on time.

Back at Hakodate’s main station, I had half an hour before my reserved seat on the Ozora Express retracing my steps from the night before. It was a nice enough journey, tiredness caught up with me, and having seen the views the day before I had a snooze. This was heading for Sapporo, but this time I’d be alighting at Oshamambe (the road signs all point to Oshamanbe, but the railway literature and signs all say Oshamambe).

I’d noticed the day before that there was huge amount of snow in Oshamambe and there really was - the edges of the platforms had been cleared, but snow was heaped in the middle of the island platforms and in places was shoulder deep. It started to snow quite heavily just as we approached the station, adding to the heaps already there.

I’d come to Oshamambe to change onto the northern mountain “back route” to Sapporo. Key station on this route is Niseko, which is the biggest ski resort in Asia and attracts enormous crowds. I’d wanted to do this route because it’s on the local government’s hitlist, and they’ve stated that it will close when the bullet train route opens in 2030. The bullet train will stop at Kutchan, one of the main stations on the route.

A significant number of people had got off the train from Hakodate (some of whom had joined from the bullet train from northern Japan) to change onto the train to Niseko - in excess of 50 people. This, despite the fact that the connection was a miserable 1hr 15 minutes at a junction station seemingly in the middle of nowhere at temperatures of -6C in a snowstorm. A train from the other direction turned up and added another 30 to the crowd waiting on the platform for the final half hour. Most had skis and large suitcases for a week long ski trip and the platform (or at least the bits of it without snow heaps) was really quite busy.

There was a collective shrug of bewilderment on the platform when a single coach H100 Series (one of the ones I found horribly uncomfortable a few days ago) rolled into the platform, with no more than 40 seats on it (and no baggage space), for the 1hr30min trip over the mountains. Given how many unused units seem to be parked awaiting duties in depots following line closures in recent years, it seemed to be a bizarre rolling stock allocation for a train which was surely going to be busy.

I’m never a fan when people talk of “closure by stealth” in the UK and always believe it be a bit “conspiracy theory” but capturing the ski trade (like SNCF do) seems like a huge opportunity missed by JR Hokkaido.

There are only four trains a day on this route. This one, at 1329, was the first train since a useless train at 0602 (before any connections arrive). Most of the ski traffic would come from the south, and the 1hr15 mins connection was far too long. If the train had run just slightly later, it could have connected with the next train, which would have connected with the first bullet train from Tokyo.

I guess most of the year, the locals use the train for a different purpose but surely during ski season, JR Hokkaido could run a couple of daily direct trains from Shin-Hakodate (where the bullet train finishes) to Niseko, a one-change option from Tokyo that would compete with flying on time.

The bullet train may be coming in 2030, but that’s still over half a decade away, it just feels like they’re not even trying. It’s a strange call to close the local line at the same time as it would suddenly connect with a bullet train which will speed everyone to Sapporo, Hakodate or even Tokyo… surely at that point the local train should become far more useful, rather than less useful. But I guess JR Hokkaido understand their passenger movements better than I do.

The train was hopelessly crowded and uncomfortable - 80 people and huge amounts of luggage and skis crammed into the single car, trying not to fall over each other’s luggage when the train lurched over some dodgy track work steaming up the windows making it difficult to see the remote and beautiful scenery. The mountains weren’t quite what I expecting. The volcanic history of the region makes them more conical than alpine. I expected Niseko to look like the French ski resorts I’m familiar with but it seemed flatter than expected. The train had certainly gone up quite a lot - the drone of the diesel engine felt louder than on British DMU’s, but perhaps I was just unhappy because the crowding made the train unpleasant. It was certainly amazingly snowy - see photos below of snow on top of a station hut.

80% of the passengers got off at Niseko, and we all had a lot more room for the final 15 minutes of the trip. For some reason, the train terminates in the middle of the route at Kutchan, and we all got off, stood in the cold for 15 minutes, then got onto a different H100 Series DMU fifteen minutes later to continue down for a further hour and ten minutes down the route to Otaru. The train was emptier at the beginning, but when it got out of the mountains and onto the coastal plain, it filled back up to uncomfortably busy, partly with very quiet and polite school kids for the final half an hour into Otaru.

Otaru is the end of the electrified suburban railway, so the DMU terminates there (again, impractically making Niseko two changes from the airport everyone uses to fly there). On the basis of my one journey, it was difficult to understand why JR have proposed this route for closure - these were the only overcrowded trains I’ve been on. Perhaps it’s dead outside of ski season.

I got the suburban train from Otaru back into Sapporo - another attractive coastal stretch, and darkness had fallen by the time I arrived. I had only spent 20 minutes on electric trains in the previous four days, and the quiet was quite noticeable. With significant snow still on the ground, you could hear chunks of ice smashing against the bottom of the train on a regular basis - they must have to build the components strong around here!

After darkness had prevented me looking out of the window, I had been reading about JR Hokkaido’s proposed rationalisation plans, and noted that one of the few stretches of lines I’d not yet done - the remaining stub of what was the Rumoi main line was proposed for closure in early 2026.

It was only 5.30, and the temperature had dropped again to the extent that a stroll around Sapporo wasn’t a practical proposition. A quick check of the train timetable told me I could use the remaining validity of my rail pass this evening and get to the bit proposed for closure and back. I decided I’d give it a go if I could reserve seats on the express train to get me to the junction, Fukagawa. I find the reservation system here amazingly easy to use - the system, based on paper tickets, doesn’t feel particularly advanced, but it’s so much easier than any of the web applications I regularly use to buy train tickets in Europe or Asia. Granted, you have to go to a station to do it, but it just works smoothly and efficiently.

Alighting at Sapporo, I quickly reserved the trains I needed, checked back into the railway hotel, and bought some sushi to put in the fridge, and milk to ensure I could have a cup of tea when I got back, and set off again.

I caught the 1900 “Lilac Express” for just over an hour to the junction station of Fukagawa. The Lilac Express was an electric train which (aside from the quiet) looked and felt very much like the diesel express DMU’s. Those bulbous fronts and the tiny front windows must really restrict the view of the driver. I don’t understand how a driver can check the platform before pulling out of the station - it’s quite strange to me that they are designed this way.

I alighted at 2005, on Fukugawa station, and watched a train go the other way. Again, snow was piled up everywhere. It looked like the station was due a visit from the snowplough - in the four foot, snow was piled higher than the tracks by some distance. The connection onto the Rumoi main line train was some 25 minutes, but there seemed to be no trains in the intervening period. I’d planned to stand on the platform for some fresh air - but I realised just how cold it was - the temperature had dropped to -18C - I think this is the coldest temperature I’d ever experienced. The DMU I was to catch was sat in the platform, but not open for boarding, so I went to the waiting room, which was a fairly unremarkable place, but quite busy.

To my surprise, nearly all of the people in the waiting room - probably about 15, took the single car DMU down the stub of the Rumoi main line. This is only 15km of track, but it’s within commuting distance of Sapporo, and these people looked like office workers who’d likely got off my Sapporo train. Again - it felt like closure by stealth - why not make the connection quick and attractive for commuters and see if the remaining stub can’t be made to work?

Just after 2030 the DMU was boarded, and we set off for the trip down the remains of the old Rumoi main line, which once went for hours up the north west coast, but today travels only to the town of Ishikari-Numata. Because of the huge amount of snow between and on the tracks, the unit had real trouble getting started at Fukagawa - I though it wasn’t going to get away, but after wheelslip for what felt like a minute, it found some grip and moved forward.

This was a one-man operated train, so at the end of the branch, I showed my rail pass to the driver, and made a hand signal to tell him I was returning on the same train, which he understood. I got off - I didn’t want to stroll too far from the train because I was concerned it would leave without me, and it was so cold I didn’t want to risk being left there! The snow - oh my goodness - I’ve never seen anything like it, I’ll put a picture below - the track was literally cut through the snow. The snow at the side of the train was above window level on the approach to the station. It was really quite amazing.

I took some photos, by which time the driver had opened the doors again, and I happily got back on. Even in all my skiing coats, gloves, hats and trousers, five minutes of photo taking and I was frozen. 15 minutes later, we set off back up the branch. I had expected to be the only passenger, but someone else joined just before it left, and, to my surprise, someone emerged from a corridor cut through the snow at one of the very dark intermediate stops.

Again at Fukagawa, there was a 25 minutes connection (if the train was timed ten minutes earlier it would have connected with trains in both directions), and I joined the Okhotsk Express (the train from Abashiri I’d caught out on the first day) for the hour and a quarter trip back to Sapporo.

With a 0650 start and a 2251 return to Sapporo, I felt I’d made the most of the final day of my rail pass and retired to my hotel room for sushi, several cups of tea and bed.

stuu

Established Member
Lovely stuff, thanks for posting. I did a railpass tour of Japan about 15 years ago, including a loop of Shikoku which involved single car trains on a couple of sections, and very scenic sections but hardly any passengers. It's a fascinating place, and much easier to visit than I had imagine

jamesr

Lovely stuff, thanks for posting. I did a railpass tour of Japan about 15 years ago, including a loop of Shikoku which involved single car trains on a couple of sections, and very scenic sections but hardly any passengers. It's a fascinating place, and much easier to visit than I had imagine
Thanks for the response - if I ever get a chance to do it, I’m thinking I might pick one of the other smaller islands for a week to do something similar.

jamesr

Day 6 & Round-up

My final day consisted of nothing more than an early Airport train to Sapporo’s New Chitose Airport - the airport being about 30 miles to the south of Sapporo. My rail pass had expired, so I needed to buy a ticket, which was fairly steep at JPY1,970 (GBP12.00). It was snowing heavily at the 0748 departure time but the train didn’t seem delayed in anyway by it. As it ploughed through the fresh snow, visibility through the carriage windows dropped to zero, so much snow was being whipped up by the leading carriages. The train passed through Minami-Chitose just before the airport completing my second western loop of Hokkaido’s railways.

I left the train at the airport, and checked in for my Japan Air Lines domestic flight to Nagoya, for an onwards Cathay flight to Hong Kong. Sapporo airport is amazing for food - so many options for breakfast. Since I was flying through the domestic terminal, I didn’t need to go through until 45 minutes before my flight and took advantage after a long convoluted check-in process - Japan Air Lines had been confused by my Cathay-issued ticket on the way out, and, again, there was an enormously long wait at the check-in desk while lots of staff were involved trying to check me in. I don’t know quite what happened - they checked my bag through to Hong Kong, but when I went to board the Cathay flight at Nagoya, they told me I had not been checked in properly for the flight (despite the fact I’d done it myself on the app). Confusing, but after a quick AirPort Express in Hong Kong, and a couple of stops on the Island Line, I got home in the end.

So, in summary, it was an enormously interesting trip - all 1,470 rail miles of it, much of it on slow regional trains. I’d been looking forward to this journey for ages, and it really didn’t disappoint.

The Hokkaido Rail Pass (at about 110 quid) is amazing value for money against the price of regular tickets (a single return ticket from Sapporo to any of the various ends of line would have been 2/3 of the price). Language is no issue at all. Whilst some of the trains had Japanese only announcements, and the timetable took a little bit of figuring out, I didn’t have any confusion with where to go or what to do at any point.

I don’t know whether the weather was a positive or a negative. On the down side, it certainly reduced the amount of exploring I did in the places I visited - if it had been warm enough to sensibly walk round towns and cities, I’d probably have done a bit less trains and a bit more town and city strolling. But I enjoyed seeing the impact of the extreme conditions and the way the railway dealt with them, it felt very exciting to me to get off trains and see the snow piled up to an extent I’ve never seen before. And to stand on a station platform at -18C was something I haven’t experienced before.

The shorter daylight hours were also a bit of a downer - I know I did it a couple of times, but generally I see little point in travelling on trains “for fun” when you can’t see out of the window. It made me get up early (for me) and maximise the daylight hours.

Hokkaido is stunning. The mountain parts were beautiful, the coastal parts were spectacular and the food is great. It isn’t the urban Japan that immediately springs to mind when you think “Japan”. It’s more like the Japanese version of Pembrokeshire, or Norfolk… The coastal trip from Kushiro to Nemuro past all the wildlife was the highlight, the overcrowded ski trip yesterday was a not-particularly-negative low point.

I enjoyed it enough that I’ve already suggested to my other half that we should return and drive around the coast at some point. At least when we do so I won’t get railway “fomo” having covered all but a couple of the lines on the island. And hopefully then, I might actually make it to be the most easterly person in Japan…

Next trip down to Australia is only a couple of weeks away while I continue to enjoy my extended time off work, and the one thing that is certain, it will be a lot warmer… thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far. I don’t have any particularly great photos from the final day, so will save you from another post!

jamesr

Brisbane

With a temperature 56C warmer than my final night in Hokkaido, my “gap quarter-year” finds me starting in Queensland this week, making my way from Brisbane to Melbourne over land. I’d cheated to get here - flying to Melbourne from Hong Kong via Singapore on points courtesy of Singapore Airlines’ budget offering, Scoot - food wasn’t up to much but the seat was perfectly spacious, even for a 7.5 hour flight.

After a weekend in Melbourne with friends, I’d left them to work for the week and flown on Virgin Australia up to Brisbane. In my experience, Australian domestic airlines are cheap but all pretty unreliable. Melbourne’s Domestic Terminal has good catering but otherwise feels like a bus terminal given the amount of traffic and the relative lack of bureaucracy compared to international flights. My flight boarded half an hour after it was scheduled to depart, and we sat on the apron mid-taxi at Melbourne for almost an hour, with no explanation whatsoever until the staff were forced to make an announcement as passengers were shouting that they needed the toilet (which seemed fair enough, really). Apparently a thunderstorm nearby was the source of the delay.

I just missed the train 90 minutes after the one I’d been intending to catch at Brisbane Domestic Terminal station and ended up two hours later than planned, which rather curtailed my plans for the day. Nothing had really stood out to me for a day trip on the South East Queensland rail map, so since I was short of time, I decided to take a trip down to Surfers’ Paradise on the Gold Coast, as I’d never been there and the train there was direct from the airport. The one way ticket set me back $38 - very roughly GBP20, which was more than I’d expected.

South East Queensland has a fairly intensive commuter network, all running at frequent intervals, with the line down to the Gold Coast being the furthest reach in the south. The trains on the route are Inter Urban EMU’s, stylish on the outside, and they feel inside much like the economy sections of a British Hitachi unit, with fairly hard seats spaced slightly too close together for my liking. Queensland Rail uses a dull orange as it’s corporate colours, which isn’t hugely appealing on stations, having a similar effect to Merseyrail yellow of just making everything look quite utilitarian. However, the local Brisbane network, Translink, uses a Triskelion logo which looks much like the Isle of Man flag, which was a home of mine for well over a decade, and was nice to see.

The marketing at the airport station refers to the line as “Express” to the Gold Coast, but the journey doesn’t feel particularly express at present although this is partly because there’s some fairly major engineering work to build a new underground cross-river tunnel, which in turn will presumably speed up other services.

But, for now, the Gold Coast service calls all stops through the city, and then skips a handful of inner-suburban stops, but the line through the city is quite twisty, and combined with the engineering works, it felt like a long slow crawl through the suburbs.

That said, a lot has been done to tidy up Brisbane’s network. The stations (other than the horrible orange branding) are very clean, and the couple of trains I caught were spotless. The network has a “no food and drink on board” policy, which is quite common in Asia, but I’ve not seen in ‘western’ country before. As in Asia, this makes trains look and feel a lot cleaner - the lack of discarded food and drink wrappings, and watermarks from spilt drinks feels nice and tidy to me.

Brisbane’s network seems to have fallen for the same announcementitis that we suffer from in UK. There were so many recorded announcements that stations in quick succession meant the system kept needing to interrupt itself, and the driver repeated all of the station call announcements although these were barely audible.

I enjoyed the hour and a half trip down - the view was mostly fairly suburban - nothing particularly to write home about, but the train was fairly empty and peaceful so it was a pleasant journey. It sped up a bit once it got past the end of the suburban local train route at Beenleigh - I saw a 140km/h sign, and travelling at that speed it felt smooth and like we were finally getting somewhere.

Before the two hour flight delay, I’d planned to catch the relatively new G-tram down into Surfers’ Paradise, but I’d arrange to meet an old friend back in the city at 1730 so when I alighted at Helensvale, four stops short of the end of the line, I only had about 45 minutes to kill. I hadn’t really eaten all morning so I walked across the station forecourt, into the Westfield shopping arcade across the road and found a bakery with a nice outdoor shopping area.

It’s a shame I didn’t have a chance to go down to Surfers’ Paradise - whilst I’m told it’s a bit soulless, I’d hoped for an hour’s walk along the seafront sandwiched by a tram ride. I saw the tram - they looked very similar to Nottingham or Manchester’s offering. But only getting as far as Helensvale feels like getting to St. Erth but not to St. Ives, or getting to Llandudno Junction but not to Llandudno itself.

I returned to the station in time for the 1524 train back. Australia’s gone largely cashless, and I seemed to have a large pouch of change from previous trips which I fed into a ticket machine to pay for my $19.80 ticket back to the city centre. Annoyingly, it stopped accepting coins after a certain number, which turned out to be at $19.60 - so I had to put a $10 note in, and then got a pile of coins back in the change.

I got to the platform five minutes before the train. It was quite busy - the local secondary school had clearly finished for the day. And we waited for the train. And we waited. And we waited some more. As each minute passed, the board continued to tell us the train would arrive in one minute, but it never quite came. After a frustrating information-less 20 minutes, an announcement told us that the train was on it’s way but was slightly delayed “because of track issue”. The chap making the announcement then said “there’s nothing we can do about it, so we’re all just going to have to wait”, which didn’t seem helpful in any way.

About five minutes later the train turned up, already packed with school kids from a school earlier in the route. The inter-school rivalry made for a fairly lively ride back. All in good spirits, although it did feel at times like I’d got stuck in the set of a musical. Sadly, no musical interlude broke out.

The train got stuck behind a suburban train after Beenleigh, further delaying it, and then stopped for ten minutes - which was belatedly explained as a lorry hitting a level crossing barrier. In the end, it was terminated short of its Airport destination at Roma Street some three quarters of an hour late.

I’d wanted to catch the suburban train one stop out to Milton to meet my friend - I’d been hoping to catch one of the distinctive round-windowed old Brisbane EMUs before they were being phased out. Their big central window with two small rounded windows on either side gives them a very unusual “bug-eyed” look. But the delays to the Gold Coast service meant I was already late to meet my friend, so I jumped in a taxi instead.

I’d been intending to go out again later in the evening, but one pint turned into four, and I had a 3.30am alarm call for the XPT the following morning, so exploring anything more of Queensland Rail will need to wait for another day…

jamesr

Just the one photo from yesterday worth uploading - the Gold Coast train.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 8

jamesr

Brisbane to Sydney

This was an absolutely epic day upon one of NSW Trainlink’s XPT units. The day started with an extremely early start - a most uncivilised 3.45am alarm call gave me time to drink a couple of cups of coffee before leaving the hotel at 4.20.

The reason for the train’s early start time was partly necessitated because Queensland (even the populated South East) doesn’t do daylight saving time, so despite Brisbane being significantly east of Melbourne, I’d set my clock back an hour on the journey up on Monday. This results in very early sunrises and very early sunsets, there was already some light in the sky by the time I reached the station at 4.30am.

I was really surprised by how many movements there were in the station when I arrived - there were several trains on the board between 4.30am and 5am although seemingly few customers for them. Presumably placement moves for trains to return to the state capital in the morning peak.

I’d left myself rather too much time - it wasn’t completely clear to me what time the train left. I’d seen 6am in a timetable (presumably applicable during the half of the year when Sydney and Brisbane are on the same time zone), my ticket said 4.55am, an online search the previous day said 5am and the station board said 5.08am. Regardless, I’d arrived in plenty of time for the earliest of these times, and, in fact the train was just arriving from Sydney, about an hour behind schedule, with a reasonable number of people lighting.

The XPT trains are fabulous. They look very much like HST’s, and even the colour scheme bares some similarities to the original IC125 livery. The carriages are different, built to accommodate Australia’s wider loading gauge (I believe). This wasn’t my first time on an XPT - I’d done a night trip from Sydney to Melbourne way back in 2001, but this was so far back it felt like a new experience.

The train was parked in Roma Street’s terminus platform (the same one I’d arrived in the previous day). Roma Street is a bit of a dump - it looks like it’s being renovated, so anticipating a long time sitting down, I paced the platform for half an hour taking pictures. My engines for the day were 2011 and 2012, which bares the name “Kimbo”, apparently named after a driver, stencilled in front of the cab door.

The engines are magnificent - they really hit home with two senses. Firstly, they are very loud. My mind has forgotten what HST’s used to sound like before GWR made them boring, but the XPT sounds like the kind of train that toddlers cover their ears for, even idling in the platform. Secondly, the smell. They have that wonderful “old diesel train” smell that you never seem to find on British trains any longer.

My train had just five coaches. Two first class, three standard. The first coach was a compartment first class coach, which converted to beds for the night trains. I walked through but didn’t sit. I’d read TT….’s report on here prior to my journey and what he writes there fitted with my immediate thoughts. The seats were two upright. Each compartment only had one window on each side, so visibility was limited. I was sat in Coach B, the “normal” first class coach. Coach C was half standard, half buffet. I walked through the other coaches, but couldn’t see any notable difference from the first class, although the price differential at the time I booked was minimal.

Coach B, in its 2+2 format wasn’t crowded at any part of my journey, never more than half full. You cannot choose between window and aisle upon booking, which is annoying, but I’d struck lucky and got a window seat with good visibility. The seats are reversible, so always face the direction of travel unless you choose to reverse them, which a couple of travelling groups did.

Given the emptiness of the train, I was slightly disappointed when someone sat next to me just prior to departure from Brisbane. However, I ended up having a lovely chat with her for half an hour - a cattle farmer who lived in the region near the first station, whose grandfather had been deported from Mousehole, Cornwall, just slightly down the road from my own family roots in Newlyn. The stewardess eventually moved her to a spare double seat to give us both a bit more space (and to save her from having to talk farming, politics and Cornish family history with me for two hours).

The train eventually pulled out of Brisbane at 5.12am and the epic 15 hour plus train to Sydney commenced. The first 15 minutes followed the route of my previous day, winding through south Brisbane industrial and suburban landscape, before turning off to the right, and rapidly becoming a single track route with passing places which quickly left Brisbane suburbs initially for rolling farmland.

The first stop out of Brisbane is two hours (and a one hour time difference) out, just across the border into New South Wales. Only one passenger train a day ventures this far, and the train in the other direction is overnight - the other two daily XPT services to the north stop three hours short of Brisbane in Grafton or Casino, presumably because there’s no space for them on a busy freight route and in the busy Brisbane suburban network.

The scarcity of train services between Brisbane and Casino is an enormous pity, as this route was completely unexpectedly spectacular. The rolling farmland gradually rolled more. The hills become higher and the valleys became deeper, and the track became more curved, with some fairly restrictive speed restrictions. As the train approached the Queensland-New South Wales border, it passed through what I think is Mount Chinghee National Park and it was just beautiful - the hilltops towered above the train, the valleys far below and the train passed through the tunnel marking the border and what I presume is the peak of the rail line.

Immediately after the tunnel I saw another line to the right, and immediately looked at my maps app to see where it had come from. To my surprise, this was the same line, a couple of kilometres further on. This was known as the border loop, and we clung to the hillside and did a full 360 through another tunnel, eventually emerging in spactacular woodland below ourselves.

Gradually, the line descended, and the scenery returned towards rolling farmland. And I was happy that there was still 13 hours to go when we hit the next station, Kyogle, where my farmer friend and one other passenger alighted on the tiny platform (selected doors only), and no-one joined.

The train rolled forward to Grafton, occasionally passing looped freight trains, and I was somewhat surprised to realise it was 40 minutes late by the time we hit Grafton, as I hadn’t noticed any significant delays. Part of the delay was a pause outside Grafton station - where the train had stopped to refuel. This was a first for me - I’d never been on a train that had refuelled mid journey previously - perhaps this is standard in Australia, USA, Canada and places with proper long distance journeys, but it’s never happened to me before!

The diagrams these XPT units run to is extraordinary - it’s hard to imagine any trains on the planet diagrammed to cover the distance these things do in a week. They run a seven day diagram, and, because trains are scheduled through the night on several routes, actually only get three overnights to cool down in these seven days. My own train has started the 1000km back to Sydney within 45 minutes of arriving from Sydney, so I guess it’s no surprise that refuelling is necessary mid-route.

The train wound through more countryside, some more forest, more beautiful countryside, not always in a particularly direct route, stopping every half an hour or so at wayside halts, each of which had a small handful of people arriving or leaving, some of whom travelled only short distances to the next town.

I made trips to the buffet every couple of hours through the 15 hour trip. They come around to take food orders for lunch and dinner. The food didn’t sound particularly appetising. I took the veggie option but walked down and bought a sausage roll to compliment it. The veggie lasagne was nothing to right home about, I decided I’d buy food at stations for the rest of the week. The buffet staff are friendly, and do a decent cup of tea though. The fare was only $95, but at $4 for a cup of tea, I reckon I probably spent another $70 on food and drinks.

I was amused by a sign in the buffet stating that passengers were permitted two alcoholic drinks an hour and suggested to guy at the buffet that in my younger days I’d have read two drinks an hour for 15 hours as a challenge to be taken on!

Eventually the train found the coast again at the picturesque Coffs Harbour, and there were a series of close attractive coastal villages with pretty stations, all of which looks well cared for and received at least some use. One station - Gloucester - was announced as being skipped, because we were running around half an hour late and no-one was booked to board or alight there, which gave us another two hour non-stop run before we hit civilisation at Dungog.

Dungog was three and a half hours out of Sydney, and the furthest reaches of the regional train network, and was the first sighting on this trip of a Sydney suburban unit, and from this point forward I kept an eye out for regional trains passing us. We passed through quite a number of stations on the approach to Newcastle, New South Wales’s second city, each of which had a handful of school passengers on the platforms, for it was now school home time.

The XPT doesn’t go into Newcastle Central, instead calling just outside at Maitland and Broadmeadow (rather like calling at Preston Park and Hove rather than Brighton). The line here had lost its scenic character and was more industrial, and, if memory serves me correctly, is the busiest line for coal trains on the planet (apologies if I’ve taken this fact from someone on this forum!). There were plenty of marshalling yards and locos parked in various sidings.

The train calls a couple of key towns during it’s final couple of hours to Sydney, but also passes some fairly spectacular inlets about an hour out of Sydney, and a noted the names of a couple of attractive looking stations as a potential plan for the following day. It then winds its way through Sydney’s suburbs through a back route through the Western Suburbs, approaching from Strathfield into the busy station throat at Sydney.

At Sydney Central we pulled into Platform 1 around 40 minutes late at ten to nine, alongside two other XPTs (about a third of the fleet I think), and the epic journey was over. Honestly, it’ll go down as one of my favourite train trips to date - 15 hours, 1,000km for AUS$95 (just over GBP50), I’d recommend it to anyone!

After 15 hours on the train, I needed a walk so strolled around the middle of Sydney for a couple of hours before retiring to my hotel after the early start.