• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Nice, yes when I looked it up for what was the recent adventure, it was going to cost a fortune. Eurostar tickets were expensive enough, hotels looked really expensive! It's an area I'm going to only go to for a couple of days, and as it's quite close to the UK with rail options not unreasonable in terms of journey time, I'd look to not fly that short a distance.

The trouble with doing Nice by TGV (I’ve done it) is that it’s 3h of belting along to Marseille, and then another 3h doing a passing impression of a 158 calling at principal stations from Marseille to Nice. There are a couple of trains a day that bypass Marseille itself, and knock 20 minutes off or so. But it’s still 10h at best from St P.

Meanwhile EasyJet will get you there in 2h from Luton for £40 or 2h30 from Manchester for £60.

If you want to experience the TGV at full flight, and a cheaper place, then Bordeaux is lovely. Or Lyon. Or pushing it a bit.... Grenoble - take your bike and cycle up Alpe d’Huez.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think there must be a bug in the forum or this thread as I've only just noticed your reply as well and and rather than quoting the entirety of your long post back, easy hotel in Croydon have so far cancelled two of my bookings due to them being made relatively short notice and all the lower floor rooms having been allocated by why people who similarly do not want to climb all seven flights of emergency staircases.

They have this evening just accepted without question another one made a little bit further in advance with my request for a low floor room if the lifts continue to be troublesome. I suspect given the age of the building that the equipment have simply become life expired and easyHotel are either not in a position financially to rectify this or more likely they are in a a lengthy dialogue with the buildings owners about this situation. For long enough before this advanced lift disruption we were down to only one car out of the two being in operation suggesting again further major breakdown and unviable or or difficult to negotiate replacement.

I must say that this has caused some what in considerable problems for a very tight work budget which involves regular trips to London and trying to keep costs where possible to a minimum. I have started on recent days commuting out to Kent to stay in a far better quality hotel for a good price and bearing the additional commuting costs myself

I have had ever made a couple of days at ibis properties on expenses and given the both of these four different and I was disappointed on both counts I have decided that they are not worth the bother. The Ibis budget brand has also been problematic as whilst easyHotel, with the exception of some of the London franchise properties continue to provide to me at any rate a good quality clean offering in a safe environment with good customer service, ibis budget have gone down the Travelodge root.of cut everything to its barest of bare minimum and don't spend a penny and less basically told to buy somebody extremely bigger than important.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The trouble with doing Nice by TGV (I’ve done it) is that it’s 3h of belting along to Marseille, and then another 3h doing a passing impression of a 158 calling at principal stations from Marseille to Nice. There are a couple of trains a day that bypass Marseille itself, and knock 20 minutes off or so. But it’s still 10h at best from St P.

Meanwhile EasyJet will get you there in 2h from Luton for £40 or 2h30 from Manchester for £60.

If you want to experience the TGV at full flight, and a cheaper place, then Bordeaux is lovely. Or Lyon. Or pushing it a bit.... Grenoble - take your bike and cycle up Alpe d’Huez.

That sounds like a monster of an adventure, but I don't think I could put the legs through that! Lyon and Bordeaux do look good, and thanks for the tip on the TGV crawling along to Nice, I wasn't aware of that. Certainly some food for thought there!

I think there must be a bug in the forum or this thread as I've only just noticed your reply as well and and rather than quoting the entirety of your long post back, easy hotel in Croydon have so far cancelled two of my bookings due to them being made relatively short notice and all the lower floor rooms having been allocated by why people who similarly do not want to climb all seven flights of emergency staircases.

They have this evening just accepted without question another one made a little bit further in advance with my request for a low floor room if the lifts continue to be troublesome. I suspect given the age of the building that the equipment have simply become life expired and easyHotel are either not in a position financially to rectify this or more likely they are in a a lengthy dialogue with the buildings owners about this situation. For long enough before this advanced lift disruption we were down to only one car out of the two being in operation suggesting again further major breakdown and unviable or or difficult to negotiate replacement.

I must say that this has caused some what in considerable problems for a very tight work budget which involves regular trips to London and trying to keep costs where possible to a minimum. I have started on recent days commuting out to Kent to stay in a far better quality hotel for a good price and bearing the additional commuting costs myself

I have had ever made a couple of days at ibis properties on expenses and given the both of these four different and I was disappointed on both counts I have decided that they are not worth the bother. The Ibis budget brand has also been problematic as whilst easyHotel, with the exception of some of the London franchise properties continue to provide to me at any rate a good quality clean offering in a safe environment with good customer service, ibis budget have gone down the Travelodge root.of cut everything to its barest of bare minimum and don't spend a penny and less basically told to buy somebody extremely bigger than important.

Goodness, you have had some tough times thanks to easyHotel! Looking back, yes I remember there was often one lift not working or at the least on service use only, something like that. Hopefully they will get it sorted, because it simply isn't good enough.

Ibis Budget going down the Travelodge Road concerns me, I don't understand companies that race to the bottom of the barrel with standards. Yes, of course things are expensive these days, but they should still aim to be at least a little bit better than Travelodge. Give people a reason to choose them over the inferior but cheaper brand.

I shall definitely be steering clear of Ibis in that case, not worth the risk!

D6130

Established Member
In fairness, if you have the time and patience, the journey from Marseille to Nice is very scenic and the inland section from Toulon to St Raphael is quite fast (160 km/h) most of the way and usually non-stop, although a few trains stop at Les Arcs.

D6130

Established Member
Nice, yes when I looked it up for what was the recent adventure, it was going to cost a fortune. Eurostar tickets were expensive enough, hotels looked really expensive! It's an area I'm going to only go to for a couple of days, and as it's quite close to the UK with rail options not unreasonable in terms of journey time, I'd look to not fly that short a distance. Going by rail would achieve the goal of flying along the TGV lines, something I've fancied doing since watching a cab ride video on a TGV.
We've had some good off-season bargains at the IBIS hotel next to Nice Ville station in the past (It's not an IBIS-Budget!). Alternatively, it may be worth considering staying in one of the cheaper hotels in Ventimiglia, across the border in Italy, and commuting into Nice on the frequent local double-deck suburban trains. Beware: Pocket-picking and bag-snatching are rife in Nice....especially in the old Italian quarter. You have to be a bit street-wise!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for the tips there, not a bad call whatsoever on hopping over the border. Something to remember for when I go there, even if it is going to be a long time coming!

Kite159

Veteran Member
That sounds like a monster of an adventure, but I don't think I could put the legs through that! Lyon and Bordeaux do look good, and thanks for the tip on the TGV crawling along to Nice, I wasn't aware of that. Certainly some food for thought there!

Goodness, you have had some tough times thanks to easyHotel! Looking back, yes I remember there was often one lift not working or at the least on service use only, something like that. Hopefully they will get it sorted, because it simply isn't good enough.

Ibis Budget going down the Travelodge Road concerns me, I don't understand companies that race to the bottom of the barrel with standards. Yes, of course things are expensive these days, but they should still aim to be at least a little bit better than Travelodge. Give people a reason to choose them over the inferior but cheaper brand.

I shall definitely be steering clear of Ibis in that case, not worth the risk!

The main issue with cleaning I find with Travelodge & Ibis is they have cut back on the number of staff they employ, and set unrealistic target times per room. Enough time to do the basics but if there is something needing more attention they either don't notice it (i.e. hair in the shower/bath) or decide they don't have enough time to do the job properly.

Then if someone complains they will try and claim it was the customer who caused that issue wanting to get money back etc.

Iskra

Established Member
Hey! Sorry for the delayed reply, when I was on my phone earlier somehow I didn't observe your reply (or Bald Rick's for that matter) popping up. Nor did I get a notification, weird!

I have stayed in Ibis Budget a few times, back then they were acceptable but quite honestly, these days I wouldn't go near it. Good gravy no, although I would in a desperate situation, similar to the Ryanair clause. I've not had a bad experience in Ibis Budget, but these days the standards have been raised dramatically, so they would be avoided happily.

Your cruise sounds interesting, I don't think I could spend that long on a boat. I'd have done so many laps around the deck from sheer boredom they'd have to replace the decking :lol: Agreed there's only a limited amount of time, choosing wisely is difficult. I'm trying not to add things to my list to do, but that isn't easy! That helicopter tour, I've seen similar listed on a small plane and it is expensive but it could be the best way to do it. Admittedly, right now, I'm thinking a multi-day expedition walking through some of it could be a potential winner, to really reconnect with nature! With a really good hotel after that mind, preferably one with a gym and spa!

Your 7 days of leave, I don't know about you but that sounds incredibly inviting to do something big. I guess it depends when you can take the time off, but I do recommend Poland, based purely on my short visit to Krakow in 2020. I need to go back there, but I also need to get off my rear end and learn Polish. There's just too much to do at the moment!

Sorry good sir, like Iskra your post did not generate a notification :s Yes indeed, Santorini I have heard is very expensive. Fortunately, I'd only be going for a short visit, with the majority if not all the tourist things getting ignored in preference to a good explore :D

Nice, yes when I looked it up for what was the recent adventure, it was going to cost a fortune. Eurostar tickets were expensive enough, hotels looked really expensive! It's an area I'm going to only go to for a couple of days, and as it's quite close to the UK with rail options not unreasonable in terms of journey time, I'd look to not fly that short a distance. Going by rail would achieve the goal of flying along the TGV lines, something I've fancied doing since watching a cab ride video on a TGV.

Who knows what the year will bring? Quite honestly, in January if someone had told me I would actually be back in the skies I would probably have laughed. With everything else happening, returning to the exploring of the world seemed like a distant fantasy. Now I've done it again, I feel it is time to really up my game. Trying to go back to world exploring, while also enjoying my cycling, I think that will be a challenge. Still, I'm up for it!
Cruises aren’t boring- I’m quite happy doing fast paced exploring like you and equally relaxing, cruises allow you to do both. There’s always something going on and there are plenty of activities plus you wake up somewhere new each day, so you can cover lots of ground. There’s also the free bar too ;) I find being at sea relaxing too.

Re: the Grand Canyon- personally although I like hiking I couldn’t enjoy it in a hot climate, and then there’s all the snakes too! The helicopter suited me just fine. My uncle did it in a plane and he enjoyed it. There are loads of good hotels in Vegas for your enjoyment though.

That 7 days won’t be wasted, don’t you worry :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would highly recommend a helicopter over the Grand Canyon, might be pricey due to the tourist tax but it will open your eyes at how massive that place is (something you don't see from the ground).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You make a good point @Iskra with the snakes, I had not considered such a thing. I am definitely reconsidering that plan then, I mean there's reconnecting with nature but then there's asking for trouble! Cruises are an interesting concept, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I could spend too long on one before getting bored, which is when I'd start pacing the deck :lol: I get bored on the Holyhead to Dublin crossing for example, I'd struggle badly on a cruise! Now if there's a gym on board, I might just be fine! As for the bar, well that's no good to a teetotaller like myself, I'd end up drinking the bar dry of mineral water I guess :lol: Unless they're going to stock it up with Lucozade Sport Orange ;) Or perhaps I've got this all wrong, and you're talking about a smoothie bar, or even an ice cream bar!

Kite, I will absolutely be looking that up when the time comes, I can promise you that. I've been investing a lot of time this week in finally sorting out, once and for all, my Beryl mileage log and it's getting close to done. I see Strava has a useful search function in one's own activities now, so while I found a number of missing rides from 2021 so far I need to do a manual search for each bike I've done to ensure I find as much as possible. There's a couple of rides I logged, for example, that mention going for a Beryl ride but not what I rode on :rolleyes: A large part of the reason for finishing this file once and for all is to find out what my all-time mileage is across the Beryls, my old mountain bike of 2020 and my current beast. I have a hunch the number is getting pretty big, and I want to know how close to 10,000 all-time miles I am!

Normal service will soon resume, when I start planning New Zealand for the millionth time, and soon I am sure I will be out to unleash the red pen again. I hear Manchester calling me, and not just for trains :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
12/04/2022 - April Gran Fondo

As I started typing this up the morning after the event, I had a 10 minute loop of the Chemical Plant Zone music from Sonic 2 playing, and I was tempted to create a title from that! This day out was another that didn't go to plan, but it certainly had some highlights!

Around 2330 the night before, I'd finally settled on a plan for the day. North Wales was out, the Advances were too costly. Manchester was the same, Liverpool had some weird routings going on and eventually I settled on my choice of fare and times to Telford Central. £11.50 Advances each way, leaving on the 0857 from Hereford and the 1702 on the way back, which gave me a shade over 6 hours to achieve my Gran Fondo. I'd done it before in similar timescales between Newport and Bath Spa, I could do it again here surely?

After remembering upon rising from only 4.5 hours or so of sleep (my work schedule has completely changed, so I'm still adjusting to 10pm finishes) that my beast needed a clean, I had just enough time for breakfast and packing the bag before I had to hurry up and get going. With having to collect my tickets from the TVM, thanks to having cycle reservations, I had to allow extra time in case of delays in getting there and any random queues for the TVM. There were no issues in the end, and before too long I was joining 175003 for the journey to Shrewsbury.

That went by surprisingly fast, and I had left some light rain behind in Hereford which had thankfully not really affected me much at all when I was outside. I knew the forecast called for some more light rain later on, so I was prepared for it. Even the connection in Shrewsbury passed by quite quickly, although the final few minutes of waiting for the pair of 158s to hurry up and turn up was a bit frustrating. The crowds were certainly building up, and when 158821+158840 rolled in they soaked up the crowds well. Thankfully, it was not an issue getting my beast on board, and I am sure this was my first time on a Welsh 158 with my beast.

Before too long, I had topped up my relatively light breakfast (I had wanted more, but time had run away from me) and arrived in Telford Central (sorry, Chavford Central). Thankfully, and surprisingly, there was some National Cycle Network signage nearby for Route 55. By the way I was set up and ready to go, I had 6 hours to go, challenge accepted! Of course, this would not be a day of following the little blue signs/stickers without some poor/missing routing information, and I was only 0.3 miles up the path before it became confusing at a 4-way junction of paths as to which way was correct. This happened again further on, and I ended up getting lost at least 3 times further on too.

By the time I reached the A518, I gave up looking for any more signage and followed what looked like a really new pavement alongside it. Not even Maps showed it as an option, but it did seem to have a weird fascination of showing me traffic flows and not cycle paths which is unusual. I will have to check if it's got the correct filter on after an update actually. Anyway, soon enough the rain arrived and out came the waterproof trousers, and now I was back on Route 55. This took me along what must have been a long ago closed bit of road, the old cats-eyes are still mostly in place and even some of the old white lines are visible. I guess this must have closed when the A518 was improved some time?

Fun fact time, did you know there is a similar situation in Runcorn? The new road layout and roundabout has completely changed the roads around there, and you can still walk/cycle past part of the old road which still has the signage for the roundabout in place! I believe I have a photo of it somewhere, and I wonder just how many places around the country are like it?

Anyway, eventually I reached Newport (no, not the South Wales or Essex ones you are possibly thinking of!) and I came to a junction where I could go left for Route 552 or some sort of right-then-left for Route 55. The 55 would take me to a former railway route to Stafford, the 552 towards Market Drayton and, eventually, North Shropshire and Cheshire. I turned left, which gave me the bonus of seeing this Newport properly. It's a nice market town, certainly worth exploring one day. Logic said I should pull over somewhere and grab a coffee before continuing, but I did no such thing. Did you honestly expect me to follow such a sensible idea?

I followed the 552 out of town and up towards Whitchurch (Shropshire), taking me on the day's first hill climb of significance, which led me to the A41 and crossing over that took me onto country lanes. A little further on up from there, at a junction for Knighton (no, not that Knighton on the railway!) I finally reached 10.9 miles. I was so far behind my goal it was crazy, all that getting lost did not help! Off with the waterproofs, skullcap and even the coat now, and I was looking forward to a lunch break at Market Drayton.

That plan changed at Soudley, where there was a road closure, and I ended up deciding not to follow the diversion but to replan my route entirely. I needed to get over to Stafford anyway, so having figured out that route with help from Maps I was soon on the way. Two Science in Sport gels (blackcurrant this time, one of my top 4 flavours with orange, pineapple and tropical being the other 3. Before you ask, no I have no idea what order to rank them in, they're all too good for that!) got me some energy back into the body and it was time to pedal away.

The roads were pretty muddy and wet, not to mention fairly narrow and twisty in a lot of places, but it was a good ride through the countryside and before long I was riding through the outskirts of Eccleshall. It looks like it's a bigger place than I imagined it to be, but time was not on my side to go and explore. I set off along what I soon discovered was the A5013, which explained why it was suddenly busier than the other roads had been! Thankfully by this point I was able to drop the hammer, to put the power down and it became a Maximum Power Thrashfest for the next 5 or so miles.

At one point, I had been going up to Stone first, then along Route 5 back to Stafford, but that was not happening. Nor was there a diversion to Norton Bridge and onwards to Stone or Stoke-on-Trent, maybe next time? Great Bridgeford gave me more options to change my mind again, and just before the big roundabout with the A34 and M6 I took a short Maps check break as road signage was unclear. Thankfully the road I wanted to Stafford was indeed there, and I ended up pulling over near B&M at some retail park in the town centre. 29 or so miles by now, at nearly 2.5 hours into the ride, it was time for lunch, coffee and to get some water for later on.

With a surprisingly nice vegan sandwich from Tesco and some popcorn devoured, I went off in search of Greggs as I wanted to get another step closer to my free coffee. With that consumed during a quick stroll around the town centre, which I have to say right now is actually nice in places, I popped into B&M thinking it would be a better move than Aldi. Not really, and it reminded me why I don't really like B&M. It's a nicer quality shop than my local one, I'll grant them that, but places like Home Bargains, B&M, Aldi and Lidl really aren't my sort of shop. I do make an exception for Aldi occasionally, but normally only in desperation unless there's cycling stuff on offer. Call me a snob if you will, I know I am. Talking of quickly, I had considered going into McDonald's for a coffee, but the one I'd passed in Telford stunk so much of cheap burgers, and this was passing by at a modest distance away from it, that it put me off going in there for anything. Yes, including coffee and their hash browns! They are officially on my list of 'only in a desperate situation' now, I like their coffee and hash browns, but it would seem the ethics have grown stronger and I cannot support a company primarily in the business of selling cheap burgers!

Eventually, after nearly an hour in Stafford, I was finally back on the move and I was looking for Route 5 to take me south towards Wolverhampton. I found it, eventually, but then I somehow got lost and went back to the alternative plan. That was to ride to Penkridge via Coppenhall, and I didn't know Hyde Lea Bank was there let alone how steep it was. Still, that got defeated and before I knew it I had enjoyed some more country lanes. Passing under the viaduct carrying the railway, a Pendolino went north so I got to see a train going over it after all. Penkridge looks like a nice enough little place, not enough to persuade me to explore it some time though.

After a break outside the station, I soon had a plan to get to Telford as by now time was ticking by fast and I had a lot of ground to cover. That stop in Stafford was far longer than I had planned, and now I was getting a bit concerned I'd not make it back in time for the train and still make the minimum distance (62.4 miles) for the Gran Fondo. My first choice of route had to be terminated due to a large flood ahead, so I ended up returning to the road I'd not long ago done back to Levedale.

Once I got there, and I must add that the sunny spells were seriously welcome and enjoyable, I was onto some rather rural and poor quality lanes in a handful of places. The sort that are used so infrequently they aren't even signposted! Maps and GPS were incredibly helpful for getting me back to Telford I have to say, I would have been lost without them! A short way before Church Aston, it was time for another energy gel before continuing to put the power down whenever possible, riding through all sorts of villages and hamlets as I went along. After skirting along the top of High Onn, and yes I appreciate those of you reading this without a map will not know where I was as I didn't either, it was time for another Maps check. Country lanes all look the same after a while and it's easy to get confused, especially in an area one is not familiar with. All the place names that are new, roads never travelled on, it's easy to forget where one is meant to be going!

Thankfully this next sector was easy enough, turn right, left at the crossroads and keep following the road to the A41. By now time seemed to be accelerating away, and once past the A41 I was into Cheswynd Aston I think. Another nice looking little settlement, and my train back to Shrewsbury was now less than an hour away. I ended up following this road to Newport and back to familiar territory. Back onto the 55, and opposite a girls' school I had to pull over for a short break. My 4th SiS gel of the day was required, I was starting to feel the effects of the tight time restriction, hunger, tiredness and so on. Thankfully after that gel and filling the water bottle I felt better again and got moving sharpish.

I was soon back on the path alongside the A518 and whenever possible I put the power down as well as keeping an eye on the distance and time. I was running out of faith by now that I'd make it, and instead of simply following the same route I'd taken on the way out of Telford I stuck with the A518. That allowed me to pass the railfreight terminal at Donnington, which currently plays host to various 197s and a 196. If I had had time, I would have got photos or at least the numbers! The more I see of the new trains the more I like the look of them.

A cycle path around the Trench area saw another stop, and that led to a confirmation that I had basically no hope of making either the distance or the train at that point. Still, I powered on and joined Route 81. I never knew this part of Telford was so hilly! When I got close to Oakengates' railway station, I gave up all hope of making the train and I was getting properly wound up by it. I was making backup plans, I had to find a way to make the most of the likely outcome.

Still, I decided I would just keep going and see what happened. A sign for Telford Central railway station led me to the dual carriageway on the A422, not what I had expected! Fortunately in that area, some roadworks caused it to go down to just one lane, and I was not on it for long before Telford Central turned up on my left and the exit ramp took me away from the madness. Maps had suggested that the road was one to avoid, but I had had no plans to use it. I survived thankfully, I think I was on it for around half a mile and that was too much!

On a screen I happened to see, it appeared the train was expected at 1714. I hadn't had a chance to see what the time was, so I got down to the station as fast as possible. On the bridge over the platforms, I was on 62.2 miles so I was very close and it was 1704. Sure enough, the train was delayed and I had enough time to do a quick spin to get my mileage up to enough. By now the area was full of teenagers, and I was not far behind one who wanted to fill her lungs with weed, polluting the area with the toxic smell too. Genius, just pure genius, and as I played some cutscenes from Dynasty Warriors 3 and the Yellow Turban Rebellion battle during the typing (this took much longer than expected, I must say) I feel a quote here feels appropriate, "You flaming idiots!"

Anyway, down on the platform after reaching 62.5 miles and not in the style I had really wanted (those chavvy people in Telford, ugh!) I was soon presented with the sight of my train to Shrewsbury. I had expected a pair of 158s, but I had been blessed with something better in terms of pure enthusiast fun. It arrived with 153361 and 153910 up front, the 158837 as I discovered in Shrewsbury was on the back. I went up to 153361, which was unsurprisingly a bit full, so I stood with my beast where I had space.

I was so focused on a recovery drink of 4Move lemon and lime, for the much desired boost of Vitamins B and C which I should have had much earlier really, as well as typing up my notes on Strava that I was in Shrewsbury before I knew it and I barely heard the 153s! That was my first time on that line with a 153, so a bit of a bonus really, and it was not to be long until the 1631 Manchester Piccadilly to Milford Haven would roll in with 175105.

That journey went by really fast to Hereford, and I cannot begin to describe the joy that the vegan ham and cheese baguette (claimed a free one from Greggs in Stafford) brought me, I was really hungry. Of course, I was incredibly grateful to the forces at work in making the train from Telford late enough for me to achieve my goal and make the train! Before too long, I was back in Hereford and on the ride back to base. I diverted via the ATM at Sainsburys first though, as that baguette barely touched the sides and I was still really hungry. So I got some cash out (that always feels wrong in this day and age!) and got a large portion of chips and 10 onion rings. £4.90 very well spent as it turned out, as I was not hungry afterwards for the rest of the night and I didn't end up snacking on something sweet afterwards. If I'd gone for something else, there's no doubt in my mind I'd have been unable to resist the cookies in the cupboard!

Overall, despite all the concerns during the second half of the ride, and getting lost multiple times, that was a good day out! The month's big challenge completed, and a good bit of proof that I was more or less recovered from the accident nearly 3 weeks ago. It won't surprise anyone that I had a very lazy morning following the adventure, and I managed to get a good solid 9 hours or so of heavy sleep. That doesn't often happen after a Gran Fondo! Finally, I want to make special mention of the fact I finished my adventure to the epic sounds of the Tokyo 2020 Victory Ceremony music. It's just such a great way to celebrate a big achievement!

Attachments

• 20220413_100723.jpg
    20220413_100723.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220413_105422.jpg
    20220413_105422.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220413_173323.jpg
    20220413_173323.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220413_173409.jpg
    20220413_173409.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220413_173438.jpg
    20220413_173438.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220413_173735.jpg
    20220413_173735.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

ash39

Established Member
Long bike rides and 153's, that sounds like a good day out to me!

For it to qualify as a Gran Fondo, does it have to join up on a map? For example, if the train was on time and you'd headed home a few miles short, could you not have added the extra distance back in Hereford?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Long bike rides and 153's, that sounds like a good day out to me!

For it to qualify as a Gran Fondo, does it have to join up on a map? For example, if the train was on time and you'd headed home a few miles short, could you not have added the extra distance back in Hereford?

It was indeed a good one, the 153s were totally unexpected as well! The Fondo is a single ride (obviously stops are permitted!) so no, it would not have counted. I nearly bowled myself out with converting 100km to miles in January, only just scraped it by 0.1 miles!

ash39

Established Member
That makes sense. You've made me want to get out on the bike again this summer, though I never manage more than 40-50 miles without getting neck pain or some other kind of discomfort. I've always been desk-based professionally, so I'm about as flexible as a girder.

KM to miles is a sensitive subject with recreational athletes! Generally marathon runners work in miles, and middle distance tend to work in KM. Because I was more of a runner before I was a cyclist, I still work in km for cycling as it's a pain to remember to switch the Garmin units over, but then I look back at my ride and convert my average speed to MPH, so it's all a bit of a mess!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That makes sense. You've made me want to get out on the bike again this summer, though I never manage more than 40-50 miles without getting neck pain or some other kind of discomfort. I've always been desk-based professionally, so I'm about as flexible as a girder.

KM to miles is a sensitive subject with recreational athletes! Generally marathon runners work in miles, and middle distance tend to work in KM. Because I was more of a runner before I was a cyclist, I still work in km for cycling as it's a pain to remember to switch the Garmin units over, but then I look back at my ride and convert my average speed to MPH, so it's all a bit of a mess!

It took me a long time to do big distances, I remember when 10 miles felt like a lot :lol: I do normally get aches etc on longer rides too, last week's one wasn't as bad due to the long break in Stafford. Unlike yourself, my worklife is almost entirely physical, which helps but also doesn't!

Working the distances out in KM and converting over to miles can be frustrating! I would love to take up running, but I just can't get the cardio-vascular system developed enough for such explosive activity. When I do run, it isn't for too long but I do have a fast pace. I think I'd like to develop a better methodology for running, but equally my power/speed walking does a good enough job for now. I still have the determination for example to beat my 1 hour average speed record of 5.2mph. It was 5.0 earlier this year, and I want to go for 5.3 soon. Naturally, a fairly flat route is good for that but I do chuck in some gradients when I can! Good for helping train the legs up ahead of the big cycle rides!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
20/04/2022 - In For A Penny, In For A Pound!

The day started in glorious weather, which had me committing 100% to a good cycle ride, the issue was where to go. I wanted new Herefordshire coverage, to continue my quest to fill in more of my map, and ended up settling for the 1039 from Hereford as far as Colwall. There's a gap near there that has been bugging me for too long, and with weather conditions being pretty good I also found a way to connect it with some other coverage needs out that way. With a winning plan made, I finally got going. When I got back, I noted that next door had a full skip which was much emptier in the morning, so I got away from what would have been a whole ton of disturbances. That worked out well!

170506 and 170501 were in unison on the 1039 to Birmingham New Street, and the journey to Colwall was over in no time. I had examined the map, and knew where I was going, or at least I thought I did! I was soon on the move, and instead of confirming my position on Maps I went with my always-strong sense of impulse. I felt sure I knew where I was going, well as it turned out I should have turned left at a particular junction and not right. I was heading for West Malvern!

Well, I was in for a penny, in for a pound as the expression goes. I had only done that road once before, a long time ago, and while I did make it to the end in one go this time I nearly had to stop near the top! A much needed rest at a nearby water point was had, and my entire plan for the day was out of the window after less than 2.5 miles! Mind you, I am very pleased with the effort going up to West Malvern, it's not an easy one in places!

Onwards down the B4232 next which took me through more of the amazing beauty of the Malvern Hills. I am incredibly lucky to have such stunning scenery not that far from base, as well as the ability to go conquering such hills, although I try not to do it too often. Memories of overworking the body on poor nutrition and hydration in 2020 often remind me just how easy it is to injure oneself after all!

At the junction with the A449, I could easily have turned right and gone charging at full power down the hill towards Ledbury, however I wanted a literal handful of metres of road here to clear a border crossing for certainty, so I turned left and ignored the very busy cafe, while also making notes about where to go on a future Malvern Hills exploration. Into Worcestershire I again went, and that road gets sharp in places so there were some tense moments, especially around the 11% gradients! I'm not like the athletes you see in professional races, going full power down such a hill is not for me! Thankfully, the worst of that bit was soon over and I was surprised just how long it takes to get to Malvern.

Eventually I got there, and headed down towards the railway station originally. The hill going down from the town centre is worse on two wheels than I had expected it to be! After a lot more downhill bits than originally expected, I turned off onto the B4208 towards Welland. I was getting deep in unknown territory here, and I just had to pull over on my way along that road for a photo of the hills. I had wanted some Gatorade (I fell in love with the Tropical Burst flavour some time ago) anyway, so it was a good time to stop.

After the break, also using up my last SiS gel, I was back on the move, putting the power down as much as possible, and I had an approximate idea of where I was going next. It's actually quite a nice ride over to Welland, and I hadn't realised before that the same road takes one towards Gloucester. Ideas were forming, and when I reached the crossroads with the A438 it was decision time. After investigating rail fares, I decided to leave the road to Ledbury alone, it could be done another time. I wonder when the petrol station closed, the colours were fading away but it was a Repsol place. I haven't seen them in a long time!

Onwards I went, deciding to make a final decision by Staunton where I would go. Gloucester kept calling me, and when I got near to my next decision point I had realised from there I could venture over to Cheltenham Spa. Most people who know me well will know I love Cheltenham, it's a beautiful town and I really must go over there some day and do some photography, as well as a really thorough and lengthy walk. I tried and I tried to change my mind about going there, but Tewkesbury did not have enough of an appeal. Going there, as it turned out, meant riding into the wind and that wasn't appealing at that time, the legs were getting tired and I was running out of liquids fast, even my 750ml bottle of Lucozade Sport was running low by now. The weather was really warm after all, and these sports drinks were happily replacing coffee for a boost. Bear in mind I'd only planned to do around 20 miles, at the most 30 but with lots of time spent admiring the scenery on breaks, on this day and I had not expected so much heat, it had not been forecast.

Still, that all being said, I was not complaining as it made for such a nice ride! I kept going and I found myself on the A38, and on a dual carriageway section of it. Thankfully, an opportunity was available to pull over and check on Maps for a good route. I found one, and got going towards Elmstone Hardwicke (and I finally got to the map to check these numbers and place names!) before Uckington. From there I had no choice but to take on the A4019, I was not feeling the love for busy roads at that time, so imagine my joy when I found the B4634 towards Churchdown and Gloucester!

I was rather hungry by now you see, and I'd realised I was not too far from TGI Fridays which I had not yet done in Cheltenham, so one I could tick off. Imagine then my frustration, especially with an ever-filling internal organ, when I got to the bridge over the M5 to find it was indeed closed until spring 2022. Maps informed me it was actually to the end of June 2022, which is a fair way off yet!

Having found an ideal route around via Hayden (it's not marked on my map, so I could be wrong), I ended up in Golden Valley and a familiar road. This was the B4063, the route Stagecoach's Route 94 buses use between Gloucester and Cheltenham, a road I'm reasonably familiar with from a number of uses on the aforementioned bus route. The shared-use path is coming on slowly on this road, eventually it'll be even more cycle-friendly. This is especially important after the roundabout with the A40! I'm rather looking forward to doing the full route in due course, both by cycle and by foot.

Not too far away by now was TGI Fridays, my destination for the main ride and I'd achieved around 40.5 miles. I was very pleased with that, although I think I was more pleased with dealing with the priority issue at that moment in time! Now I have to say, I love TGI Fridays, and I realised while typing this up that it's been basically a year since my first ever visit to one. That was before I went vegan, so there was more choice available, but I loved it and I go at least a handful of times a year. This is important to note, as sadly this was my least favourite visit to one of their restaurants, and that is noteworthy as I went to the one in Brighton when it was the 'outdoor seating only' thing in restaurants back in early 2021, on a day with strong winds!

The problem thankfully wasn't the service or the venue, both of which were excellent. The vegan burger is meant to come with fries or salad (obviously I wanted fries!) and I ordered the new vegan loaded fries too. All the carbs, all of them! Well no, as it turned out the kitchen didn't send out fries with the burger and told the waitress that my side of fries were the ones that I was meant to have. In all honesty, I was too hungry to care any further although I have to say the burger is not worth the money without the fries! The loaded fries were OK, but not worth the ching I paid. All in, as I only had 3 glasses of tap water (the coffee machine was broken, they do illy coffee so I was gutted), my visit cost me £22 with a good tip for the hard working waitress. I think she saw how much it was and while it wasn't that much I think she was very pleased with it!

Back on the road in no time, disappointed with the meal but I know that's not the usual experience, and thankfully the food I did get helped fill a huge crater-like stomach! I was soon in the town centre, and after parking up I was on the hunt for one thing only. Yes, coffee! I had not had one since a little after 10am, and it had by then been around 5 hours since that coffee. A Pret filter coffee did wonders, and I was still on my 500 miles of leisure walking challenge, so I was more than happy to have a good walkabout. I had been introduced to CityStrides recently, so there was even more reason than ever to go exploring! Effectively this syncs up with fitness trackers and Strava, to then generate a heatmap of where you've been. It also compares your activities to others registered, how much you've done and other interesting statistics. I was already looking forward to investigating my map on that website!

Much walking about, and a PNB later on that was so desperate I had to use the public conveniences near the Royal Wells Bus Station (seriously, that's not one to do unless desperate), I was dehydrated again. It was roasting in Cheltenham, and I don't think I had realised just how dehydrating coffee really is. I think it might be time to revisit cutting out coffee again! Time flew by, it must be said, and it was 5pm before I knew it. I was now due to be on the 1750 to Worcester Foregate Street, then as it turned out the 1901 to Hereford, but I still needed to get supplies and visit Decathlon. Not that I actually ate the supplies I bought on the way back, they did not get started until I returned to base! So after my visit to Sainsburys, I had wanted to get some new gloves from Decathlon as well as to have a good look around.

I could have spent a small fortune in Decathlon, and it's a good thing I didn't have my magic plastic with me as I would have had the temptation. That road cycle I looked at, my good gravy that looked good and I wanted it. I didn't have time to look properly at it, but phwoar! The gloves I decided would wait until another time, but I did get 3 SiS Tropical gels for a future ride. There were only 3 left, and it is one of my top favourite flavours for me, so they were going with me! Soon enough, I was reunited with my beast, with a 4.3 mile urban exploration under my belt, and I needed to hurry up and get moving.

It was the evening peak after all, but I needed not worry too much as I found my way to the Honeybourne Line, a path which goes over the old railway formation towards, well, Honeybourne. Of course, part of that old railway is now the Gloucestershire-Warwickshire Railway, running from Cheltenham Racecourse to Broadway. I still haven't done the bit north of Toddington, and before you ask, yes it is on my list to do at some point. I plan to combine it with a good walkabout in Broadway, which I mentioned in a trip report some weeks back. Goodness, as I typed this up I realised just how much I've done in 2022 already. Scotland, Merseyside, Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, London, Essex, Hertfordshire and so much more, and there was still two-thirds of the year to go yet!

I was soon at Cheltenham Spa railway station, and I had plenty of time to wait for what turned out to be 158747 for the journey to Worcester Foregate Street. I had been a bit concerned it would be busy, but thankfully it was not too bad. A hold at Norton Junction lasted a while, and on the screen at Worcester Shrub Hill it was declared to be due to "a bicycle on the track". A new one on me that was, I had to take a photo! It did cut down my wait in Worcester nicely though, so it was good. I made my way to Lowesmoor Fish Bar, which is my usual choice in Worcester and the chips were excellent. The mushy peas, not even the cheaper-than-cheap ones in Sainsburys are that bad! Still, it was good and filling food. Yes, not very healthy but it was just what the doctor ordered!

172331 produced to take me back to Hereford, and this had been one of my last two 172/3s to get into the book way back when, the other was 172337. So it's always a noteworthy one for me, and to my surprise it took no effort to get to the cycle space on this journey. After finishing the food, I was surprised how fast the journey went, and before I knew it I was back at base and chilling out after a crazy and busy day.

Typing this up was a priority job, I knew that whatever I would be doing on my other day off this week, it would need a relatively clear day for it. That and I wanted to discuss my fantastic day out as soon as possible! Yes the food let me down in places, but the amazing weather, gorgeous scenery, new coverage and just generally good time made it worth every penny of expense. I could not really have asked for a better day out, I honestly couldn't, it was one of my best days out of 2022. I enjoyed the Gran Fondo (overall at least!) the week before, but this was even better!

Attachments

• 20220420_121025.jpg
    20220420_121025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220420_130736.jpg
    20220420_130736.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220420_142928.jpg
    20220420_142928.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220420_143118.jpg
    20220420_143118.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220420_143134.jpg
    20220420_143134.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220420_143301.jpg
    20220420_143301.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220420_170902.jpg
    20220420_170902.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220420_183236.jpg
    20220420_183236.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220420_190330.jpg
    20220420_190330.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

ash39

Established Member
Good to see Costa still keeping the festive spirit going, should you fancy a nice hot gingerbread latte on one of the warmest days of the year so far :lol:

That's some distance considering the elevation changes as well. Good going! Didn't realise GWR 158's went to Worcester either, got to be better than a 150!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good to see Costa still keeping the festive spirit going, should you fancy a nice hot gingerbread latte on one of the warmest days of the year so far :lol:

That's some distance considering the elevation changes as well. Good going! Didn't realise GWR 158's went to Worcester either, got to be better than a 150!

Oh my yes, the Costa sign tickled me something fierce! I didn't realise how much elevation gain there had been, a lot of that must have been on the way up to West Malvern. There were of course hills elsewhere, but nothing that huge. I was actually thinking about you and how much you'd have enjoyed it too. There was a hill near Staunton with a short 14% gradient, with a junction on a sharp bend, that one got missed in the trip report but that was a bit of a concerning bit!

Yes indeed, the 1750 from Cheltenham Spa is regularly a 158, it certainly at least used to be a pair of 158s as far as Gloucester where one would split off to return to Bristol. I haven't looked to see if that is still the case. I'm pretty sure all the 150s have left Bristol, so they only get seen there for major works if I recall correctly.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A nice bike ride there Mr J :)

The 150s are only occasional visitors to the Bristol area these days, they are mostly in the Exeter area.

I believe that service still is a pair of 158s to Gloucester with the other unit returning towards Bristol (might even go on towards Westbury).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I went out again in the glorious weather today! It just had to happen, and I finally got that annoying gap near Colwall cleared :D It took some doing, fighting against the wind for the majority of the ride eastwards, but worth it! I finally visited Pot & Place, a vegan cafe in Ledbury which opened in June 2021. I've been going to visit for a long time, but I just didn't get around to it until today.

Which is where the food photos in this post are from. I've also attached screenshots from Strava, just because! In order, they are from yesterday's main ride, then the main one from today and then the way back to The Ford. It's fair to say I've made the most of the glorious weather!

Attachments

• 20220421_130241.jpg
    20220421_130241.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220421_133357.jpg
    20220421_133357.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220421_133838.jpg
    20220421_133838.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220421_134829.jpg
    20220421_134829.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220421_135658.jpg
    20220421_135658.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220421-172556_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-172556_Strava.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220421-172514_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-172514_Strava.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220421-172504_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-172504_Strava.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 11

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all, it's time for another cycling trip report! This was a big one, as you'll discover! Hoping to go back to some red penning trips in the near future, but we will see.

05/05/2022 - 100 miles ride lifetime goal, cleared!

As is often the case with my train and cycling days, I was in two minds about making a trip report. However, this one felt important to share as it was a day to clear a goal I'd had going on since September 2021. On that occasion, after clearing 80.9 miles in one ride in Norfolk, which was a challenge on its own, which I discussed at the time, I had given myself the goal of clearing 100 miles in a single ride.

A couple of weeks ago, I'd booked some cheap Advances on TfW for the first available day I could realistically do my Gran Fondo ride for May. I had a megaton of coverage options to go for, and for the week leading up to the event I was checking my forecasts regularly. All was looking good, even the wind forecast seemed to be on my side and while it got upgraded on my final check the afternoon before, my adventure seemed manageable.

So off I went and joined the 0739 out of Hereford aboard 175001. I'd expected difficulty getting on board to be honest, but I had no issues to my pleasant surprise. I settled in and almost downed my already nearly cold coffee around 0745. Those cheap travel mugs from Asda really don't do a great job sadly at keeping heat in, and as it turned out it was just as well I had not relied on a trolley service as there wasn't one! A rare occasion for me, wanting to use a trolley service I will confess to that, but oh well.

The journey to Wrenbury went without any issues, and after arriving a few minutes late I watched 197003 leave towards Shrewsbury on whatever test run it was on. It sounded good and looked good, the arrival of the 197s in passenger service is eagerly anticipated! Frustratingly I was not really ready for it so I didn't get a photo. After picking up a GPS signal, I hit start and off I went, still not 100% sure which way I was going to go. This being after many days of trying to plan a route!

At the junction ahead, I turned right and the adventure was fully underway, 5 miles to Nantwich to kick things off. Well yes, that was the plan, but as is often the case I hadn't checked for road closures. So after just a couple of miles I was off plan, and I ended up at the A530 which I had not really wanted to do. I have to really be in the mood for an A road Max Power Thrashfest, and that was not the case. Nevertheless, off to Nantwich I went and after a quick tour of the town centre I was on the way to Crewe.

I'd walked this route in the opposite direction earlier in the year, so I knew roughly what to expect and thankfully the hilly bits weren't too bad after all. Upon passing Crewe railway station, I had linked up with previous coverage and I was going to spin around to do the route towards Shavington, heading towards Market Drayton. That plan had been changed on the train, when I saw a gap on the B road to Alsager. So I was fully off-plan from what I'd originally expected to do, and went off for that gap and to progress my North to South coverage mission as well.

A little east of Alsager itself, I finally pulled over for a short break after 19 miles. It was well needed, and if I'd recalled my A50 experience properly from when I did part of it in 2021 I'd have been more prepared. As it turned out, the ride up from the Kidsgrove railway station area was almost entirely uphill and not an easy gradient either! Upon reaching the top, I was incredibly glad of that and I have zero intention of ever doing that road again!

You'd think the other side would be more fun then wouldn't you, it being mostly downhill? It would be, but by now this was suburbia so lots of junctions, traffic lights and roundabouts. The bits where the hills towards Hanley, and thus the Stoke on Trent railway station area, did have full-on gradients also featured a number of traffic lights and so on, so I didn't exactly get my full speed going after all! Like I say, I'm not returning to the area for more cycling, that was seriously not fun. Challenging, and good for building up strength on the hills, yes but not for me!

Eventually I found myself passing the station and I was on National Cycle Network Route 5, which is what I wanted for my ride out of the area. Once I got down to the canal, I had the choice of Route 555 towards Longport or Route 5 towards Stafford. The latter won, as I wanted that North to South coverage extended and so off I went. Now it's worth mentioning I'm not a huge fan of canal towpaths, they can vary so much in quality and width, not to mention the ultra-low-clearance bridges which I nearly struck more than once. At Barlaston, I took a food break and my Ginsters vegan Quorn pasty went down so well! The level crossing with the station was pretty close by, and perhaps I should have explored the area a bit more, but I have made a note that Blythe Bridge is not that far away so I've got another Staffordshire adventure in the pipeline.

Eventually I got through Stone, which looks like a nice place, and Stafford was finally reached after some rural country lane riding. The final part to the outskirts of Stafford was along the Isabel Trail, which must have been a former railway although I have no idea which one. When I got to the end of that, by the main road, I had done 46 miles and I was a bit behind my target, as it was now 1251 (I had set off at 0915) and time was flying by. I was only a few miles behind, granted, but it all counts when time is against you! A Maps check revealed that I could fairly easily access Route 55 out to Newport (Shropshire) and do the former railway route from Stafford. First it was time for more food, and the Ginsters bombay potato and spinach slice I had was surprisingly nice.

The heat by now, I must add, was building up something fierce and I was really wanting a coffee. Bear in mind I'd only had two all day, one at breakfast and one when leaving Hereford, more than 5 hours previous. So every mile was starting to get frustrating! Nevertheless, the path was a reasonably decent surface throughout, although in a number of places it does get narrow. There's not really any signs of the old railway, except for some old bridges, and the route runs through some seriously rural terrain, small wonder it closed!

Eventually I made it to Newport, and linked up with coverage from the April Gran Fondo. By the time I pulled over and locked up, I was on 58.3 miles and more than glad to get some weight off the back for a while. I easily had anywhere between 7 and 8kg on the back for much of the day, certainly by the time I carried on with 4 litres of fluids sourced I would have been close to 8kg, that lock is strong but heavy! I stopped at a local place, determined not to go to Greggs, and got an expensive but delicious coffee for £2.85. I had recently uninstalled the Greggs app, it was deemed essential to do so in a bid to focus on supporting more independent places instead. That seemed to work, as the pull of Greggs was already wearing off.

I was enduring a dull pain in my right side by now, so I couldn't find the strength to walk to Waitrose (I felt like I was hobbling along at that point), so I endured B&M instead, which I really hate doing, but that's me being a snob when it comes to shops! The queue was so slow, not helped by one person on the tills and two people doing multiple transactions. Thankfully I was soon out of there and I had clearly not learned from my B&M experience in Stafford in April, queues move slowly in that company, I was losing valuable time!

After consuming a dose of both ibuprofen and paracetamol with my coffee, and I don't think I need to tell anyone how well that sugary coffee was received, I finally got on the move after a longer than expected stop. Maybe one day I will return to the town for a walking expedition, as it seems like a nice enough place to do so, but for now it was something in the region of 1430 and I had a long way to go! Talking of nice places to explore, I forgot to mention Hanley Park in Stoke on Trent, that looked beautiful and definitely worth an explore some time on a couple of hours break on a WMDR. Ideas for adventures never cease I swear!

The B road towards Shrewsbury was my goal here, and perhaps I should have focused on clearing Route 552 as was a previous objective, but the road to Shrewsbury was too tempting. The mercifully short 10% uphill gradient was not welcome, it must be said, and nor was riding into a headwind. It gave me an extra challenge, don't get me wrong, and that was all good but I really didn't need that! A good few miles in, I pulled over for a protein shake and to fill water bottles, which certainly helped no end. Vegan food is great, but the convenient stuff for eating on a ride like this doesn't really have enough carbs or protein in it. After what felt like an eternity later, I got to a junction with Shrewsbury turn left, Shawbury turn right.

In retrospect, turning off for Shawbury would have been more sensible, but I just wanted to clear the B5062 to Shrewbury, it would only bug me otherwise! The sign welcoming me to Shrewsbury, also proudly letting me know it was the birthplace of Charles Darwin which I didn't know, was seriously welcome. Now the sensible idea would have been to go straight on into Shrewsbury Town Centre, and I think you all know where this is going.

Yes, correct, I did nothing of the sort! I headed up the Shrewsbury bypass on the A49 instead. Quite what possessed me to do something so insane I have no idea! I noted it was 17 miles to Whitchurch, I could do that I figured, and still get to Wrenbury for the train I wanted to Shrewsbury. So that's what I stuck with, and I took on the A49 northwards, I don't know what twisted logic that was as I know the A49 is an absolute beast in places!

I got a fair way, to my credit, passing through Hadnall and declining one junction towards Yorton, but at the next one my calves were hurting badly. Something told me to give up on heading north and at the next turn towards Yorton that was the only logical option, otherwise I might end up in a heap somewhere roadside waiting for an ambulance! I kid you not, that was my big concern at that time!

Thankfully, apart from one hill which caused me to exclaim outside about ripping my body apart, I finally reached a point where I could check Maps and I watched a pair of 153s roll into Yorton station. The temptation to jump on a train and give up on my challenge was super real, but I was on 82 miles and officially within reach of the goal, and on a new personal best. Soon I continued to Myddle, with another frustrating hill conquered, and having now finished my useful food for carbs (I had some dry roasted peanuts, but the carb count in those is almost nil) I was down to energy from Lucozade Sport for any further intake.

At the A528, I took a moment to ponder my choice of route, and desiring a tailwind for the first time in some hours I decided the A528 was a good choice to Shrewsbury. I didn't get much of a tailwind after all, not until I got to the Shrewsbury bypass when I had wind assistance along Battlefield Link Road. There is a shared use path along that, but I discovered it too late to get over to the other side, so carried on along the road.

At the services at Battlefield, I was mighty tempted by Starbucks for coffee and Burger King for a large vegan nuggets meal. I had reached 90.6 miles by now, and I am sure you can all imagine how happy I was to see that number. Off around the rest of the roundabout on the shared use paths and onto the A5112 into town next, until I got to a retail park and had the chance to link up to the B5062 and clear that last bit. With significant traffic on the direct route into town, this made lots of sense and I happily took to the bypass again.

After spinning round the roundabout, I was soon on the way into town and the traffic wasn't too bad in the end. To clear my final few miles, and to clear an objective to explore more of Shrewsbury which would save me an expensive trip in the future, I ended up taking in some of the prettier parts of the town before finishing at 100.6 miles. By that point, all I could think about was food, and I happily locked up with just a basic description on Strava until I could do the full one.

With a couple of unclear prices in Tesco, I left with just some Warburtons sesame bagels in the end. I soon wolfed one of them down, and the walk to the station was soon underway. By the time I'd done all that, it was almost 1830 and my train to Hereford was at 1853. Two more bagels got devoured, and I must say that the mobile data signal in Shrewsbury on Three is a bit hit and miss on the station.

175106 rolled in to take me to Hereford, and surprisingly with only minimal effort to secure my beast I also found a table seat with ease. That was certainly not expected at all, and while I probably should have used the table to start on my colouring in of my maps I was too exhausted for that. I did finish the description properly on Strava though, and all the way to Hereford I was thinking about my celebratory meal from the local good chippy. The most local one always smells strongly of meat and fish so I don't bother with it, the other one is less than a minute further on and is consistently good.

After the short ride back to base and putting the beast away, I soon grabbed some cash and got a large portion of chips and 10 onion rings. That certainly silenced the stomach, and will have gone a long way to easing the muscles! I'm currently on a 7 day no chocolate challenge, so later on I added a banana to take away the minor craving for sweet food that had developed. It won't surprise anyone that I collapsed into a deep sleep around 2200, and I needed it with work the following day at 1300!

Attachments

• 20220505_111713.jpg
    20220505_111713.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220505_111717.jpg
    20220505_111717.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220505_161850.jpg
    20220505_161850.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220506-102807_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20220506-102807_Strava.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 8

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many apologies for the delay in getting this trip report shared, it's been a crazy couple of weeks and I only got the video finished this morning. I've been out twice since then to get working on my latest fitness mission, more on that in a future trip report when I hopefully combine it with some trains. Without further ado, here's the first part:

25/05/2022 - Tech's Cycle-Cross, Day 1

Hello one and all! It was finally time to get back on the rails for something more than an A-B journey! CrossRail, also known as the Elizabeth Line but I still prefer CrossRail, finally opened on 24th May 2022, and at 9am (during a cycle ride, and I was bored in a queue of traffic) on the 25th of May I decided there was a good chance I would go to London on my days off for it. I had family visiting in the area, and by 1030 I'd given up waiting for them to decide what they were doing. At 1040, I had my Airbnb and tickets booked, with the family finally deciding to message at 1048. They didn't want to do much anyway, by the sounds of it, and I had more important things to do than go shopping for the second time with them this week!

Systems were playing up in Hereford, so I had to collect my tickets in Birmingham. Why the GWR app swapped over from e-tickets to paper ones I have no idea, I will be glad to banish that from my device soon, it has a weird habit of doing stupid things! Onto the train then, and I had 172103+172006 in charge of taking me and my beast on the 1139 to Birmingham New Street. The journey went by quite fast to be fair, some of it was used to do some long overdue reading and I was in Birmingham in no time. Despite some earlier problems on the railway, I arrived pretty much bang on time.

After collecting the tickets, I declined a Pret. Yes, really, the option was there and time was on my side, but having had one while still in Herefordshire I was feeling a need to fill the stomach as a top priority. So I instead made my way onto the 1333 to London Euston, which was 350236+350258. When I take my beast with me on a 350 I almost always sit with it anyway, so it would have been on the fold-down seats regardless.

With the stomach dealt with, the journey felt slow for a good while but once Northampton was reached, there was the promise of some speed with just a stop at MKC and Watford Junction ahead. In case you're wondering, the trip report title is simply observing there was to be a combination of cycling and CrossRail on this adventure. The opportunity to do some cycling, while also doing a much anticipated brand new railway the day after its opening, well I would have been foolish to not grab hold of it!

Once I was at London Euston, the top priority was getting pedalling. There was rain due, and I didn't want to be out in it. I could and maybe should have done CrossRail first, but it made more sense to get checked in at the Airbnb. So I set off and eventually ended up in the Aldgate area, so I was nearly at Tower Bridge. A whole ton of slow moving traffic down Leman Street finally got the better of me and I found an alternative route, which put me onto Cycling Superhighway 3 (CS3). CS3 my long time readers will recall is one I rather enjoyed doing on a previous cycling expedition in London, and I was going to use more of it but stuck to my plan and continued to Tower Bridge. It turned out the road I had been queuing on, where the rain had arrived, would not have put me where I wanted to be anyway!

As hoped, the ride over what is possibly London's most famous bridge and one of the most recognisable landmarks in all of London, was really enjoyable! I next ended up on Tooley Street which took me to Jamaica Road. This one was another bit I had memories of, from October 2020 and my first ever cycling holiday. That day the rain was really heavy, and it was dark, so it was nice to see the area properly. At the roundabout, where I had turned left for Rotherhithe on that occasion in 2020, I ventured right and headed towards Surrey Quays.

For what felt like the longest time, it felt like I was going too far south and not easterly enough. Once I got to Deptford, it finally felt right and I was soon in Greenwich. By then, the threat of any further rain was sufficiently gone for me to remove my coat, so a rest stop of a short time was utilised to pack it away. Traffic was getting ridiculously slow, so many drivers playing the 'squeeze up when the light's red' game, ugh! Eventually I got onto a cycle lane once past the impressive naval college, and progress was finally going well. A few times I did get tempted to cheat and use the train from places like Maze Hill, but the Airbnb was in Thamesmead and significantly far enough away from Plumstead to convince me the ride was the right call.

I got lost in Thamesmead, it must be noted, but eventually after 14 and something miles I called time on the ride. Walking the final bit just made sense, and I was soon meeting my host for the night. A very nice gentleman, and a nice place to stay too, after emptying my bag of non-essential stuff I was soon back on the move and into the wind. The ride to Woolwich's CrossRail station was pretty short and easy, following National Cycle Network Route 1 for the majority of the way. After locking the beast up there, some much desired food was sourced in M&S.

Downstairs I soon went and I was finally onto CrossRail! The engineering marvel that this line is cannot be understated, it is truly magnificent, I was feeling like a child in a sweet shop! What turned out to be dud 345008 took me to Abbey Wood, and there was another 345 going out first, which turned out to be winner 345044. I have to confess to having absolutely no idea when my last mainline score was, even my last light rail score on Manchester's Metrolink feels like an eternity ago! I actually looked this up when I went to update my moves list on the laptop, it was 387140 from Heathrow to Paddington on 24th March 2022. Over 2 months without a required train score, and my last tram score was on 16th March 2022, oh yes that would have been when I did those Bee Bikes in Manchester, and I remember the cold weather driving me mad now. How odd memories can be, and I have to confess I rather want a Manchester trip again. I think this may have to happen very soon!

The occasion called of course for many photos, and I felt like recording the experience in a video. Most of it was of course in tunnels, so it's not like there was a lot to see, but it just had to be done. At Woolwich the train filled up quite a bit, and at each station the trains were busy, a good sign that this line will see plenty of use and that it's been long awaited! I stayed on all the way to Paddington, and I have to say I didn't take too many photos. The reason being that I can see this being one of my most used CrossRail stations, and there will be plenty of time for photos next time.

Winner 345016 took me along to Tottenham Court Road, and I must mention that I like the roundels at Bond Street swapping between 'Opening Soon' and 'Station Closed'. Hopefully it won't be too long until that one opens, I can see it being incredibly popular with its connection opportunities. I went up to the Dean Street exit at Tottenham Court Road, and the cavernous passages are truly fantastic to see. This sort of thing you could of course see on YouTube, but it's just not the same as appreciating in person the amazing work that many, many people have done over the years that we've all waited for this line to open. My opinion is that the wait has been worth it, I will absolutely be choosing CrossRail over the Tube for cross-London journeys whenever possible.

I was in the fresh air near Oxford Circus, and I knew the next two 345s would be duds, so I went off on a walk. The weather was pretty decent, and I took in Oxford Street, Regent Street, Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Big Ben, Westminster Bridge, South Bank, Golden Jubilee Bridge (I think!), Covent Garden and Holborn. By the time I got close to Chancery Lane, I was running out of fluids and energy, so I stopped at a Tesco Express. This was one of their new GetGo stores, which you need their Clubcard app for. No problem by me of course, being a fairly frequent Tesco shopper, and I grabbed a meal deal. Now I don't know how the system works out what you buy, but it got it right for me so I can't complain about that at all. Some people refused to shop there, I had no issue with it and I will happily use such a shop again.

The basic premise is you scan in with the app, get what you want and leave. The system takes payment from the card registered in the app and emails you the receipt. There's no need to queue up at a checkout or self-scan, and I think it's quite a clever idea. Sainsburys had a similar sort of shop a little further down the road, but I was very satisfied with my first such Tesco and will happily use them again. My meal deal filled a cavernous hole that would have been right at home on CrossRail as a new station, and I was soon on the move to Farringdon. I passed by Smithfield Market for the first time, good gravy that place is enormous!

5.4 miles walked, and I was ready to call it a day, I was ready to get back to Thamesmead and the Airbnb. Thankfully it was not too long a wait for an Abbey Wood train, and those incline lifts at Farringdon are quite funky looking! Winner 345015 ended my day quite nicely, and there was then the simple matter of the walk from Woowich's CrossRail station. With that done, it was time to rest and recover from the long but excellent day. It's not often one gets to do a brand new railway so soon after opening, never mind doing such a thing with a good bit of cycling, sightseeing and walking!

Attachments

• 20220525_182313.jpg
    20220525_182313.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220525_181608.jpg
    20220525_181608.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220525_182227.jpg
    20220525_182227.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_181931.jpg
    20220525_181931.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_181907.jpg
    20220525_181907.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_181654.jpg
    20220525_181654.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220525_181631.jpg
    20220525_181631.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220525_180924.jpg
    20220525_180924.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220525_181734.jpg
    20220525_181734.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some more photos, I honestly have too many to share!

Attachments

• 20220525_185440.jpg
    20220525_185440.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220525_190301.jpg
    20220525_190301.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220525_190604.jpg
    20220525_190604.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220525_190623.jpg
    20220525_190623.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220525_193338.jpg
    20220525_193338.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_193613.jpg
    20220525_193613.jpg
  • 20220525_193914.jpg
    20220525_193914.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_194026.jpg
    20220525_194026.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_194043.jpg
    20220525_194043.jpg
  • 20220525_194230.jpg
    20220525_194230.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Final selection from Day 1, I have not included everything! Day 2 will follow tomorrow!

Attachments

• 20220525_194253.jpg
    20220525_194253.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_194325.jpg
    20220525_194325.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_194403.jpg
    20220525_194403.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220525_194621.jpg
    20220525_194621.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_194927.jpg
    20220525_194927.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_195152.jpg
    20220525_195152.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_200855.jpg
    20220525_200855.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_204345.jpg
    20220525_204345.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_211902.jpg
    20220525_211902.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220525_212224.jpg
    20220525_212224.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Turbo004

Excellent report. That Tesco's sounds intriguing. Great to see a new line opening. I'll do it eventually but am in no rush.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must say that you’re looking very healthy there Tech. :)

shredder1

Established Member
Some excellent reads Tech and clips, enjoyed catching up, Ive yet to do the Elizabeth line, will try to fit a London trip in later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.