Jurassic Mule 2017

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by richw, 22 May 2017.

1. richw

richw Established Member

The Jurassic Mule open top service operated by Mendip Mule Motorbus starts for the 2017 season this saturday.

All day fares:
    Adults £7.95
    Seniors £6.95
    Children £5.95
    Family (2+2) £19.95
    Extra family child £3.95

These fares are a hop on hop off ticket, and valid for unlimited travel all day.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. aptisman

aptisman Member

I shall be in their area soon and would like to ride their route, but I can only be there at the weekend when they don't operate.

Would anyone be able to tell me where they keep their vehicles, as I could visit and hope to see some?

Thanks.

4. AaronR

AaronR Member

How do they get round the DDA rules?

5. rownd

rownd Member

The service is registered as an excursion/tour, so is exempted from PSVAR. Also, as a result of that, they won't be able to claim any concessionary travel rebates or sell point-to-point tickets like a normal stopping service.

6. richw

richw Established Member

Requirements of a tour are that you must return to your original starting point. This pretty much means no new passengers on the last leg of the journey, which can also mean if all passengers are returned to their start point, prior to the last single run, it can run straight back to depot rather than to the route terminus for example.
    Being a tour, he has an obligation to get passengers back to their start point (as long as it's not due to passenger lateness) whereas a normal bus service doesn't have such obligation.
    The mule offers a full or short tour. The full tour is £7.95.
    A short tour could be from say charmouth to Lyme Regis and back for example.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2017
  7. richw

richw Established Member

All days will now operate to the yellow timetable for the summer holidays due to vehicle unavailability.

8. richw

richw Established Member

We, at the mendip Mule motorbus are running a gala tour weekend based out of Seaton on the weekend of 2/3 September. We will have at least 4 open top VRs and our open top RE in service over each day of the weekend. I've attached a suggested itinerary we've created that will allow riding each of the 5 vehicles over each day. In addition to the fares shown on the attached poster 2 day tickets will be available at 1.5 times the single day fare.

Attached Files:

9. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

I enjoyed my visit in July and hope to make another weekend visit for this event. Fingers crossed for some nice weather!

10. richw

richw Established Member

I will be about on the Sunday. I've taken over running the Facebook page and email accounts etc.
    I've organised the gala day with the help of a young enthusiast from Seaton who's done all of the poster designs for me. I can only hope the long hours of planning pays off with a decent attendance.
    Unfortunately I'm working the day job on the Saturday. Gutted as that was the mystery tour I was really looking forward to. The Sunday one is still good but the Saturday one should be the highlight of the weekend in my mind at least.

11. 83G/84D

Dosen't look like I'll be able to make it up there on the Saturday now, Sunday for me. :(

12. richw

richw Established Member

That's a shame, the Sunday will still be good, but to get a full ride of the fleet would need either 0900 start in Seaton or 0930 from Axminster.
    Also note rail replacement on the SWT line that Sunday.

13. 83G/84D

If the Sunday weather forecast is correct I'll be staying indoors on Sunday, rather than attending this event.

14. CD

CD Member

That's if you can believe the Met Office!

For Yeovil today at 1300 the forecast was 80% chance of a heavy shower at 1400 then 50% chance of light rain from 1500. But for the last 4 hours its been like Texas !!:D

15. richw

richw Established Member

I've just looked at 3 forecasts... 1 says rain all day, the other two say patchy showers.
    Derek has announced his retirement at the end of the season, so it's likely to be the final few weeks unless someone comes in to take over.

16. richw

richw Established Member

Press Release from 7/9/17

Attached Files:

17. richw

richw Established Member

18. Dennis

Dennis Established Member

Plenty of press coverage today regarding the Mules demise; Jeremy Vine, Metro, ITV West Country News and even some national papers!

Sad state of affairs really that he should feel pressured out of Seaton and his depot by various aggrieved parties. Maybe they got the hump because they couldn't use their free passes.

Never did make it down there this season but have had plenty of mileage over the past couple of years - wish Derek all the best for the future and hope it's not the end VRs in fare paying service in the West.

19. richw

richw Established Member

I am please to say we have secured sufficient funding to allow us to operate in 2018. We will be running a special launch day on 22nd July, and then running daily from 25th July until 4th September.
    We felt the need to return after receiving 1000s of messages of support following the issues at the end of 2017. We have amended our timetable so the buses don't wait time in the Underfleet area of Seaton where the issues were found.
    We have a new operations manager who is well known and local to Seaton, and formerly operated a heritage bus operation in the Saltash area. Details of who he is will be unveiled soon. Derek plans taking a back seat, doing some driving days and running when the operations manager is unavailable.
    We have also set up a new website with plenty of information about the service www.jurassicmule.co.uk
    We have secured the use of up to 6 open top buses this year. The 2018 fleet will be:
    Open Top Bristol RE TDL564K,
    Open Top Bristol VRs UWV614S, UFX856S, BJG674V, VDV138S
    Open Top Volvo Olympian P772SWC