• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just had trainee conductor interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

haigwright

I had my trainee conductor interview this week and should hear next week if I was successful.
The training course will be in September in Leeds (I asked in the interview):),
do Northern pay for you to stay in a hotel whilst at the training centre?

I live 3 hours away from Leeds and wondered what the set up usually is

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LETHLFH

I think it depends where you live, you either get put up in a hotel with food allowance or get paid travelling time from your depot. In your case the travelling would be insane so I imagine you'd be put up in hotel if sucessful.

coxxy

Doesn't matter where you live.. It goes off the distance of where you home depot will be..

You would be paid travelling time or if it is deemed to be too much then yes they may put you up in a hotel.. IE if your based at Man Picc and they are training you in Leeds then no they wouldn't pay for a hotel but if you was to be based at Liverpool and being trained in Leeds then they would.

Don't know the exact hard and fast rules but generally they are quite good.

haigwright

Thanks everyone,
The depot would be Carlisle so still a good 3 hours away. I had thought I had read somewhere it would be a hotel. Just waiting to hear if I've been successful, this is going to be a long week !

coxxy

They probably would put you in a hotel then pal.

I know people that were based up that way and trained in Manchester and put up in a hotel so would imagine it be the same.

Good luck

MartinG

Recent (2015) Carlisle trainees at Leeds have been put up in a hotel during the week.

Si_leeds

When did you apply? Just out of curiosity. Got a few friends I said I'd let know if I heard of another recruitment drive, I must of missed it haha

haigwright

I applied 16th July i think, was told last week I was in the talent pool then this week I've been given a start date of 19th September! I have the medical next week and although I'm overweight I should pass no problem, I've handed my notice in today!

Shaggy

I applied 16th July i think, was told last week I was in the talent pool then this week I've been given a start date of 19th September! I have the medical next week and although I'm overweight I should pass no problem, I've handed my notice in today!

I really hope you pass your medical.

Si_leeds

I'm sure you'll be fine with your medical. My bmi was 39 and I was fine.
Congrato on the appointment mate, as long as you keep your head down and don't do anything stupid you'll never work another day in your life :)

Graz66

Congratulations on your appointment. I had my medical last week in Leeds for the conductors role at Middlesbrough, as a slightly overweight 50 year old who passed it, you'll be fine. Like some have already said, as long as you are generally healthy i think they take that into account with the BMI....mine was 33.5!!
I was informed that i've passed at the time, with the all clear from the drugs test coming 3 days later. I also had confirmation that my start date was the 5th September, something that was discussed after my interview / assessment, although i haven't had my contract through yet.
I wonder if they are running two courses in September, as i was under the impression that there was only one, or perhaps my start date is going to be pushed back by a couple of weeks when the contract come through.
Looking forward to seeing you at training school in September :D

Last edited:

haigwright

Quick update, passed the medical so now just waiting for full confirmation/contract etc. Any idea when the info will be forth coming. Graz66 has your contract come through yet.
L

Graz66

Quick update, passed the medical so now just waiting for full confirmation/contract etc. Any idea when the info will be forth coming. Graz66 has your contract come through yet.
L

Congratulations on passing you medical :D

No, i'm still waiting for my contract to come through. I emailed HR on Tuesday about it, & was told that it had been sent through to the relevant team, & on checking mine was next on the pile to do. Hopefully i'll get something through in the next couple of days. I've been told that i'll be starting on the 5th September in Leeds. I've also read a post somewhere on this forum which has mentioned a Manchester based course starting the 19th September.

Anyway, as soon as i get my contract through i'll let you know

Last edited:

haigwright

When I asked in interview they said training would be Leeds, I'll have to stop being impatient. Congrats on your appointment, I just want to get started now. I'll pester them next week
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I couldn't wait and emailed Northern this morning for some more info and was told I should receive my contract within the next week or so, so now I'll have to just wait.

Graz66

When I asked in interview they said training would be Leeds, I'll have to stop being impatient. Congrats on your appointment, I just want to get started now. I'll pester them next week
I couldn't wait and emailed Northern this morning for some more info and was told I should receive my contract within the next week or so, so now I'll have to just wait.

Hi haigwright, have they confirmed your start date?

Graz66

I start on 19th September

Congratulations.
I've been told that i'll be starting on the 5th September in Leeds, so they must be running a couple of courses. I'm still waiting for my contract / welcome pack to come, & was toying with the idea of emailing them this afternoon.
Don't want to seem like a pest though!!

Graz66

Hi, did you guys have to do a group discussion and flip chart exercise?

Hi Kim, yes, on the day of the interview we had a group exercise relating to the TOC we had applied for, what we had discovered & how we could improve the quality of service provided etc. It involved a group discussion, putting our findings on a flip chart and then finally one of the group made a presentation to the managers.

Kim_Badger

Thanks for the info!

I have an interview on Tuesday with GWR and just got an email to say that the second part of the selection process is a group discussion and flip chart exercise.
Nice not to be going in completely blind.
They are doing group first and possible competency interview after.

Graz66

Thanks for the info!

I have an interview on Tuesday with GWR and just got an email to say that the second part of the selection process is a group discussion and flip chart exercise.
Nice not to be going in completely blind.
They are doing group first and possible competency interview after.

Hi Kim, congratulations for getting to the assessment / interview stage. It sounds similar to the Northern one, you either had your interview prior to the group discussion or afterwards

Kim_Badger

Hi Kim, congratulations for getting to the assessment / interview stage. It sounds similar to the Northern one, you either had your interview prior to the group discussion or afterwards

From what I have found out I think this is a new process here. I've already passed online SJT, telephone interview and assessment day!

Congratulations on your new job :)

Emilali

Graz66 and haigwright how many people were on the assessment day's that you two attended?

vt5060

I also await my contract to come though.. Training starts on September 19th in Manchester and the location and other information will be with the contract (according to HR)

Lucky63

I also await my contract to come though.. Training starts on September 19th in Manchester and the location and other information will be with the contract (according to HR)

Just noticing your location, are you going to be a Workington conductor?

haigwright

There was only 3 of us, 1 person didn't show up. We were in the afternoon i don't know if they had interviewed more in the morning. I'm from Egremont and don't actually know if I'm working out of Carlisle or Workington!

Graz66

From what I have found out I think this is a new process here. I've already passed online SJT, telephone interview and assessment day!

Congratulations on your new job :)

Thanks Kim :D
Graz66 and haigwright how many people were on the assessment day's that you two attended?[/QUOTE

I believe there were meant to be 6 of us, but 2 dropped out. We were the morning session, & there was an afternoon session as well.

It looks like my contract / welcome pack has been sent out today, the lady in HR kindly emailed me copies of the covering letter & the contract. I'm due to start my training at Leeds on the 5th September, & will be based out of Middlesbrough. Looks like there are a number of forms to fill in, so i know what i'll be doing tomorrow!! ;)

haigwright

I wish they would send mine, I hate not knowing and I'm a bit impatient! Congratulations and the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.