• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keep The Train Clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
On Saturday I went on a refurbished 185 and the interior was in a right state. A woman commented on how a woman who had got off had left her empty can of beer on the table they were sitting at. People had also not attempted to make sure their rubbish went in the bin as stuff was lying around it, including an unused cigarette and the whole carpet looked messy. It was at the end of the journey but still, have some respect and keep it tidy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
We know!

Simple fact is with 10 minute turnarounds and the significant late running, cancelled and overcapacity running of those that still run, they just arent getting the cleaning, servicing and prepping they need before making their return journeys.

anti-pacer

Established Member
They struggle to put rubbish in bins up here full stop. Compared to other parts of England I've lived in, the North is a tip.

Blinkbonny

Far worse than the empty beer can is the unfinished one. Ditto for coffee cups. You can't even bin them yourself. They just sit there the whole journey waiting to be spilt.

I have on occasion done the decent thing and took one off with me. Tipping the liquid away is relatively simple, but then - given the dearth of waste-bins at many stations - I've been stuck with the empty container!

farleigh

It would be a positive step if the train companies were to provide adequate bins.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It seems to be the general consensus that one does not simply leave an unopened beer can on the train.

Same with tea/coffee. Who buys a cup of tea or coffee then simply doesn't bother to drink it? You would be surprised how many get left behind undrunk!

whhistle

On Moderation
This is why the whole idea of cars no longer being owned but rented will never really work.
Someone suggested that with the advent of electric cars, you'd drive from the Midlands to preston on a single charge, then shift all your stuff to a new car and carry on, so no waiting for charging. Seemed like a good idea, but people don't care.

And this is adequately shown here.
Because the person doesn't own the space, they don't really care.

Messy work places are another one. When people say "I'd hate to see how that persons house is" <-- it's probably a lot better than the work palce because they own it (or at least live there), whereas a work place is shared so doesn't get the same care treatment.

Darandio

Established Member
And toilets, both on the train and at stations or any other public toilet for that matter. The mindset that they don't have to clean it so they will p*** everywhere is disgusting.

Blinkbonny

There are bins on many stations including Piccadilly.

Good luck finding a bin down in the warren that is Birmingham New Street!

They're not exactly abundant if you come up top into the "Grand Central" foyer either if it comes to that. :{

theironroad

Established Member
On Saturday I went on a refurbished 185 and the interior was in a right state. A woman commented on how a woman who had got off had left her empty can of beer on the table they were sitting at. People had also not attempted to make sure their rubbish went in the bin as stuff was lying around it, including an unused cigarette and the whole carpet looked messy. It was at the end of the journey but still, have some respect and keep it tidy.

I can never get my head round how someone can sit at a train table and eat and drink their stuff and not even attempt to clear up after themselves. Not even bag it up and tidy up let alone try to locate a bin.

It's almost as the train was evacuated in a emergency. People just walk away and leave all their rubbish in situ from when they took their last bite or sip.

Very odd and very selfish.

takno

Established Member
East and west coast and XC trains seem to manage to keep the train clean by having somebody going down it regularly with a bag throughout the journey. If Transpennine wish to pretend that they are an intercity operator they should probably do the same. 10 minute turnarounds are irrelevant if the rubbish is already sorted. The bins on the train are utterly inadequate, and there are no bins on most stations. I'll take my stuff if I know I can get rid of it quickly but I'm not willing to carry it around indefinitely.

aylesbury

When I have travelled on trains from Fenchurch St have noted how clean they are even with quick turnaround they seem to achieve a clean train.Virgin wcml do a very good job and keep them clean just wish they could remove noisy passengers!

theironroad

Established Member
East and west coast and XC trains seem to manage to keep the train clean by having somebody going down it regularly with a bag throughout the journey. If Transpennine wish to pretend that they are an intercity operator they should probably do the same. 10 minute turnarounds are irrelevant if the rubbish is already sorted. The bins on the train are utterly inadequate, and there are no bins on most stations. I'll take my stuff if I know I can get rid of it quickly but I'm not willing to carry it around indefinitely.

There doesn't even need to be a cleaner on board for the full journey and I'm not sure if EC have the same cleaner on for the whole journey.

Simply having someone join en route for 30 mins at least walking through collecting rubbish makes a massive difference and allows the turn around cleaners to have another go .

SaveECRewards

I don't like having to clean up after other people, but I have done sometimes. I always ensure I don't leave any rubbish though. I'm not even a particularly tidy person at home, but in spaces shared with others it's right to be considerate.

Even when in first class on VTEC where they're good at regularly going round collecting rubbish I've often already binned mine before they come around.

One drawback with VTEC (and others) using china cups is if you join en-route you might have someones used coffee cup on your table but there's not much they can do about that. I think it's important that the rest of the area is left clean though as people might be using the seat after you alight.

Carlisle

Established Member
Good luck finding a bin down in the warren that is Birmingham New Street!

They're not exactly abundant if you come up top into the "Grand Central" foyer either if it comes to that. :{
Is that due to Network Rail having the same mentality as organisations like National Trust, who I believe intentionally provide zero or almost zero bins at many of their sites in order to try and save money and encourage people to take litter home

sluf

doesnt the lack of bins hark back to the terrorist threat some years ago. I assume that is why the few bins that are there are see through bags.
VTWC always seem to have a cleaner periodically walking up and down the train clearing rubbish when I have travelled.

DelW

Established Member
Boarding an SWR 450 during its turnaround at Portsmouth & Southsea a few weeks ago, I decided to be public-spirited and clear up a table of cider cans which had been left behind. To my surprise there were two unopened ones among the empties. They wouldn't have been my first-choice brand, but they still went home to my fridge :).

Dougal2345

I can never get my head round how someone can sit at a train table and eat and drink their stuff and not even attempt to clear up after themselves. Not even bag it up and tidy up let alone try to locate a bin.
It's almost as the train was evacuated in a emergency. People just walk away and leave all their rubbish in situ from when they took their last bite or sip.
Very odd and very selfish.
I agree, but on the other hand if you're sitting at the cab-end of a 444, and the nearest bin is at the other end of the (possibly crowded) carriage, I can see it's tempting to just abandon stuff.

Regarding half full coffee cups, perhaps trains could have a 'liquid bin' too - maybe one that discharges straight onto the track, as presumably drinks are not quite as nasty as some of the other stuff that gets discharged from trains...

Tio Terry

doesnt the lack of bins hark back to the terrorist threat some years ago. I assume that is why the few bins that are there are see through bags.

Yes. Anyone who saw the aftermath of what happened at London Victoria will understand why there are few bins on stations.

Darandio

Established Member
Regarding half full coffee cups, perhaps trains could have a 'liquid bin' too - maybe one that discharges straight onto the track, as presumably drinks are not quite as nasty as some of the other stuff that gets discharged from trains...

Regardless of how less nasty these liquids were, you can guarantee there would be some professionally offended organisation to oppose it.

takno

Established Member
Boarding an SWR 450 during its turnaround at Portsmouth & Southsea a few weeks ago, I decided to be public-spirited and clear up a table of cider cans which had been left behind. To my surprise there were two unopened ones among the empties. They wouldn't have been my first-choice brand, but they still went home to my fridge :).
I'm usually fairly sensible in how much I buy, but I've seen plenty of mates on the way to football and gigs who buy 3 cans for a 45 minute-1 hour journey. Usually they struggle through them, but it probably makes more sense to just leave one. You can't drink them on the street in a lot of places, and you can't take them into the gig/game. While I do go to more effort to clear up beer cans than anything else, they are even more of a pain to take with you given the various by-laws about public drinking.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
350/3s have properly sized bins by the doors. The design needs to be adequate for someone to put an awkward handful of litter in while carrying luggage (so not involve bending over). Hiding them between seat backs doesn't work.

al78

Established Member

Some people don't want to carry their waste around with them, and if there isn't a conveniently located litter bin, and they have no concept of morality/social conscience, treating the immediate surroundings as a dumping ground is far more convenient. There are no bad consequences to themselves by doing so, so if there is a personal gain and any consequences are dumped on someone else, that is good as far as they are concerned.

If people can gain by doing antisocial activities without incurring any personal negative side effects, then they will do so if they don't care about others, and/or rank highly on the narcissism scale. Think fly tipping, same thing, waste disposal, a third party has to deal with the consequence.

td97

Established Member
A week or so ago on a TPE Newcastle service (originated at M.Airport so very short turnaround), the train was in a right state with litter etc. when I boarded at Victoria.
Somewhere between Huddersfield and York a staff member did come down the train with a bag, so passengers could get rid of the litter left on the previous service(s).
I think the issue is that this only happens through the core with staff who rotate around the different services, so the trains are uncleaned from York onward and also through to Manchester.

I was also on a 185 (Victoria terminator - so longer layover at Newcastle) on Saturday and the train was still quite a mess. It was quiet and I boarded on the first stop.

It is true that bins on trains are hard to find, and too small in both capacity and the opening to fit something large like a coffee cup in.
The bins are Piccadilly are virtually impossible to locate - the closest bin I've been able to find is the bus stop on London Rd

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It is true that bins on trains are hard to find, and too small in both capacity and the opening to fit something large like a coffee cup in.
The bins are Piccadilly are virtually impossible to locate - the closest bin I've been able to find is the bus stop on London Rd
The bins on a 142 are well located and should be used as a somewhat of an example.
The thing about Piccadilly is a good point. Why should I leave the station to get rid of my rubbish especially considering half of it is a shopping arcade with cafés and pubs?

Leyland155

I'm fairly certain that there is a bin at the bottom of the stairs between island platforms 14 and 13B, but that is the only one in the whole station that I've noticed! From what I remember, there were several throughout the station until a year or two ago at which point practically all of them were removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.