• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keeping Train Windows Clean - Best And Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

So basically, in your opinion,
Who is the best Toc / Depot at keeping their train windows clean?
and who is the worst?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
So basically, in your opinion,
Who is the best Toc / Depot at keeping their train windows clean?
and who is the worst?

Let's start this off with southern England. Southern are reasonably good - although the windows are generally at least slightly scratched, they are usually clean enough on most of their fleet. First Capital Connect's train windows are generally dire, in my experience, apart from their 377s, which have slightly cleaner windows. London Overground's Capitalstars aren't too bad for the most part. FGW's 165s and 166s are nothing special.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Here's an odd one from ScotRail who are normally not too bad - a window that's dirty on the inside 'cos it's full of dirty water.

Failed double glazed window unit in a Drumgelloch (pre A-B) bound train. The water is being pushed to the right on braking.

Apologies for poor quality - still frame grab from video.

Attachments

• Wetwindow.jpg
    Wetwindow.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 137

asylumxl

Established Member
Regarding graffiti on FCC Thameslink trains, this usually happens at Bellingham which is managed by SE. Bellingham sidings are easily accessible from the platforms and as such make any stock stabled there an easy target for vandals. SE refuses to do anything about the issue (e.g. security) so it's not really FCCs fault.

jon0844

Veteran Member
FCC trains on the GN route are always pretty clean, inside and out (windows and generally). They must go through the train wash regularly.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Furrball

FCC 319 are pretty bad - the windows in the doors especially, I guess the train wash does not quite get to them.

NXEA (as was) MK3 was pretty bad too.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The split service overnight on FCC M , and weekends also make the cleaning regime almost impossible - hence the very dirty condition of 319's externally - and units running around in post Bellingham NYC Subway graffitti condition. Some of the dirtiest are the ex Southern 319/2 sets.

Interiors are ok - but endemic window etching - especially in the 1st class.

tsr

Established Member
FCC 319 are pretty bad - the windows in the doors especially, I guess the train wash does not quite get to them.

At this point I remember the dubious pleasure I occasionally have of using whatever train FCC sends northbound through Redhill at some vague point after 8am. I normally have to stand in some vestibule or other, which would almost be acceptable if I could actually see out of the window.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The washers dont get into the door reccesses , or the inter car ends - proper depot cleaning does this by hand ..."hand bashing" - a good result when it can be done.

Clip

Established Member
The washers dont get into the door reccesses , or the inter car ends - proper depot cleaning does this by hand ..."hand bashing" - a good result when it can be done.

Indeed. Theres also no need for internal scratching on the windows in this day and age either - should use proper anti graffiti film on them.

loopit

lol i nearly spat my coffee all over the computer at the window lickers comment......funny !!!

Chafford1

C2C generally cleaned to a good standard - as with all other aspects of their services

Unfortunately, Northern are the worst,both inside and out. The state of some of the trains that arrive at Bolton is appalling. How often are they supposedly cleaned?

spacehopper

I have to agree with OP that Northern units leave lot to be desired in the cleaning stakes.

Whilst most TOCs units will visit a T&RS MD most nights- the way Northern diagrams work it can be a few days before a unit sees a wash road.

Northern have the most varied fleet of any TOC so why 100% class 357 C2C have only one type of unit to go through a wash. The same Northern washer will have to wash a 142 / 144 / 150/ 155 / 158 / 321 / 322 / 333.

Newton Heath / Allerton / Neville Hill / Botanic Gardens / Sheffield and Heaton AFAIK will have wash roads but what about units stabled overnight at Huddersfield, Harrogate, Skipton, Scarborough, Carlisle, Darlington etc. These may get cleaned internally but I doubt they do an outside clean.

Our units are used very intensely- so why FCC maybe able to wash units between the peaks our trains can be out all day.

They've already cut back on the few cleaning staff they employ and whilst most TOCs will have staff at major terminals or on train at random points through out the journey a Northern unit will go the whole day without a litter pick. Indeed it is not unknown for a unit to come off a T&RS MD without being cleaned. Not pleasant when you are working a unit on a Sunday morning with the left overs from the fun and games of Saturday night :cry:

It all boils down to money, and beavis and butthead penny pinching is just getting worse. While "Mary Doll" when she was at FSR was very keen to improve state of toilets with air fresheners and service station style "when was this toilet last cleaned boards"- on Northern we have units running around without soap and paper towels.

pdq

TPE seem very good at presenting clean trains. I was surprised one day last year when one with grubby windows turned up.

asylumxl

Established Member
Most people have mentioned the level of cleanliness for a TOC in general, so I thought I'd mention a particular line.

The St Albans Abbey line has to be by far the dirtiest that I've been on, both inside and out.

Outside the the train is usually caked in dust and mud, with various references to it written in the dirt such as a crudely drawn name plate saying "Grot box" :lol:.

Inside, there are used tickets chucked about and torn up like confetti, various drinks containers and crisp packets scattered around the seats. It's generally unpleasant.

I know it is down to the fact it simply goes back and forth all day, but the Marston Vale trains seem cleaner and are operated by the same TOC. Maybe it's the clientel, or maybe more cleaning staff are used for it. I'm unsure anyway.

Bellwater

Stations are very grubby too and seems to be an extention of Rough Parts of Watford.

In contrast the Marston Vale stations seem a bit more affluent(ex Bedford St Johns!)

Sapphire Blue

Was on one of the green 150's out of Carlisle to Leeds t'other Sunday and ended up cleaning our own window, very quickly, at the 1st stop.

ert47

I have to agree with the comments made about FCC's 319 units - very grubby trains.

But I have to say that there are times when Southerns 171s don't look too great

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The main problem is when units spend several nights on the trot away from a Depot or Stabling Point where no Carriage Washing facilities are available. They can in some areas be sparsely located.

michael769

Established Member
I have to say that Scotrail are pretty good.

Though they don't really have any choice in the matter thanks to SQUIRE

All Line Rover

Established Member
Arriva Trains Wales seem to be excellent in this regard. I travel with them frequently, and not once have I seen dirty windows.

(In stark contrast to Arriva CrossCountry, where I frequently see filthy windows).

Status
Not open for further replies.