• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kemble - Swindon re-doubling

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldspot

I thought that I'd kick off a thread on the Standish Jcn - Swindon line and the Kemble - Swindon line re-doubling in particular. I worked on the S & T Department at Gloucester for 43 years and was working the night shift back in the late 60's when the one line was closed and the signalling equipment disconnected.

I am now retired but beleive that this scheme is underway. Are there any local folk out there who can give updates on how the works are progressing?

I am also led to beleive that additional signals are being installed between Kemble and Standish Jcn, in order to increase the number of train paths on that section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PhilipW

I understand that after doubling, the signalling is planned to allow just 4 trains per hour in each direction. This seems like an incredibly low number and a feature that could inhibit the line being used to its full potential.

For that low number it implies to me that the signals could be as much as 10 to 12 miles apart. Strange !

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
There's quite a lot of information about what's going on along the line here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3266.0

I understand that after doubling, the signalling is planned to allow just 4 trains per hour in each direction. This seems like an incredibly low number and a feature that could inhibit the line being used to its full potential.

For that low number it implies to me that the signals could be as much as 10 to 2 miles apart. Strange !

Just how many trains do you think are likely to use this line, even when the Severn Tunnel is closed and south Wales services get diverted this way? The current basic service is one train per hour each way - IEP is likely to take that to 2tph, so 4tph should be sufficient for most likely scenarios for future use, allowing for local services, South Wales diversions and some freight/excursions. Beyond those, I can't see what else might be running that way.

oldspot

I am reviving this thread in the hope that some folks out there have some further knowledge of the progress to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.