• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kent and East Sussex Railway: timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Unlike the Bluebell Railway, K&ESR has published timetables for the whole of 2023. It deserves credit.

However, confusingly, it uses the same colour (orange or yellow) for 'five train' and 'four train' (i.e. number of trips) operating days.

I may be blind, but have extensively looked at the site and can't see how one discovers whether on a Saturday in early to mid September 2023, the 'five train' or 'four train' schedule will operate.

I'm guessing it's the smaller number of timetabled trips as September is your autumn, and school holidays have ceased. Can anyone please enlighten me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

You click the specific date here and it shows the departures. Then click here for the timetable.

Five departures for weekends in September. [The different colours alert you to different departure times even though the number of departures may be the same.] I'd guess five departures is done with two trains. But I'm not an expert on these things!

The Cavell van is the standout exhibit on the line and usefully located at Bodiam to visit after a castle visit (worth doing).

Trainlog

The great thing about the KESR is that all bar one stations have things to do at them.

• Tenterden is probably the best station as there is plenty to do at the station itself with Colonel Stephens museum, Carriage and wagon shop and Tenterden is Kents largest town with no rail connection.
  • Bodiam i would recommend as the castle is interesting to see, but its a small walk. Its free to walk around the ground and there is a WW2 pillbox within the castle grounds too but you have to pay to go and see inside the Castle. As suggested above the siding at Bodiam has the Cavell van and an 03 shunter.
  • Northiam is a nice village to walk around and has some shops there aswell which is good.
  • Depending how tight you are for time, Rolvenden should be in theory one of the best stations on the line, however, you only have a viewing platform to see into the loco yard these days and you can see a lot of it from the train.
  • Wittersham road - honestly nothing there tbh so i would leave it out if time is a personal concern.

railfan99

Established Member
The great thing about the KESR is that all bar one stations have things to do at them.

Thanks. My aim at overseas heritage railways if the timetable and time allows is two return trips to better familiarise, as inevitably if just doing one return, items of potential interest are missed.

Bodiam RS to its Castle is one km, so achievable: a short walk (provided no suitcase to tow). Last year at Dunster station I walked to the eponymous Castle and back, the last part up appropriately named Dunster Steep. My feet were sore from previous days' extensive walking but being the postage-stamp sized hero that I am, it was achieved, with reasonable time to see the Castle and return for the 140 minute gap between first and second WSR up trains to Bishops Lydeard.

Five trains a day each way is excellent, allowing flexibility. Well done, K&ESR.

At this one thanks to hourly buses, there should be time for multiple trips, but most when we go overseas lack infinite time at each attraction so your point is salient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.