• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kentish Town v Farringdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumamark

Sussex village to Farringdon £29.50 (anytime single)

Sussex village to Kentish Town £19.50 (anytime single)

As Farringdon is on the way to Kentish Town, and you can change there, is it possible to break the journey and leave at Farringdon?

My commute is to Farringdon, and this would help reduce costs massively.

Crazy that pricing is set this way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

As Farringdon is on the way to Kentish Town, and you can change there, is it possible to break the journey and leave at Farringdon?
Anytime Singles and Anytime Day Singles can’t have break of journey restrictions*, so yes.

*Except for SailRail, but that doesn’t apply here.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Until some pricing manager reads this and "corrects" the pricing...
Yes, you say that, but it is somewhat surprising that the cheap fares to the North London cluster haven't been fixed already considering how long this phenomenon has existed. It is a relatively well known and discussed thing.

I guess that the wholesale reassessment of fares seemingly associated with Project Oval (based on observations of the Phase 1 roll out) may see it finally fixed.

Alex365Dash

Until some pricing manager reads this and "corrects" the pricing...
There have been similar issues with differences in pricing between Sussex stations, central London and the south Midland Main Line considering tickets to London Terminals and London Thameslink get priced by Southern and tickets to places like West Hampstead and Kentish Town get priced by Thameslink/Great Northern. (Formerly First Capital Connect which is probably where the pricing discrepancy comes from!)

These have been published on the forum on multiple occasions before, yet GTR’s Pricing Managers have (thankfully) made no attempt to fix them.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As a bonus, believe that the "Sussex Village" to Kentish Town ticket is probably issued 'Route✠ANY PERMITTED' and so could always be used on London Underground services across Central London if there was some issue with Thameslink trains running through Farringdon.

miklcct

On Moderation
As a bonus, believe that the "Sussex Village" to Kentish Town ticket is probably issued 'Route✠ANY PERMITTED' and so could always be used on London Underground services across Central London if there was some issue with Thameslink trains running through Farringdon.
It's also worthwhile to check if the ticket to West Hampstead Stations is the same price as well.

This will give an extra validity via Clapham Junction and West London Line to West Hampstead (Overground).

paul1609

Established Member
There have been similar issues with differences in pricing between Sussex stations, central London and the south Midland Main Line considering tickets to London Terminals and London Thameslink get priced by Southern and tickets to places like West Hampstead and Kentish Town get priced by Thameslink/Great Northern. (Formerly First Capital Connect which is probably where the pricing discrepancy comes from!)

These have been published on the forum on multiple occasions before, yet GTR’s Pricing Managers have (thankfully) made no attempt to fix them.
It wasnt just Southern and Thameslink for many years the cheapest Anytime ticket from many SEML country stations to London Terminals and in effect zoneU1 was a return to St Albans.
In the early days of HS1 the cheapest "London" ticket from some of the Marshlink stations was an off peak return to Birmingham Moor Street and the cheapest ticket from London to Ashford was a London to Calais Sailrail!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
In the early days of HS1 the cheapest "London" ticket from some of the Marshlink stations was an off peak return to Birmingham Moor Street and the cheapest ticket from London to Ashford was a London to Calais Sailrail!
Yes, that was the sort of thing the Southeastern pricing manager soon put a stop to along with the blanket ban on advances in the morning peak and other similar strategies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sussex village to Farringdon £29.50 (anytime single)

Sussex village to Kentish Town £19.50 (anytime single)

My commute is to Farringdon, and this would help reduce costs massively.

Fares to Farringdon can be charged at a premium as it's not a London Terminal and is an LU station. If your ticket has a cross-London marker then you are allowed to finish short there.

Fares to Kentish Town were probably originally set by the former First Capital Connect (FCC) company, who set fares much more reasonably than the old Southern company. It's now all GTR of course. GTR have adjusted some fares, which has included putting some fares down and others up. If this is brought to their attention, they may make amendments which would mean you'd no longer be able to pay as little as £19.50 for this journey.

I don't know how intently they read this forum; some people claim they cannot make any fares changes without DfT approval but I've not seen formal documented proof of this. In any case, DfT (who certainly read this forum) would certainly be supportive of amending the fares so that you would be paying a bit more in future.

Hopefully they won't notice this thread, or if they do, they may not be inclined to change it, but only time will tell....

redreni

Yes, you say that, but it is somewhat surprising that the cheap fares to the North London cluster haven't been fixed already considering how long this phenomenon has existed. It is a relatively well known and discussed thing.

I guess that the wholesale reassessment of fares seemingly associated with Project Oval (based on observations of the Phase 1 roll out) may see it finally fixed.
"Fixed" might well be the right term from DfT's perspective. If it were up to me I wouldn't consider the anomaly fixed until the prices to points short of Kentish Town (or whichever is the northernmost station in the relevant cluster) had been reduced so that they are less than the fare to Kentish Town.

themeone

Some years ago I was working around Blackfriars and discovered a period travelcard from East Croydon to West Hampstead Thameslink was cheaper and by a reasonable amount. It always opened the barriers at Blackfriars and I think also at Farringdon and St Pancras, but for some reason never at City Thameslink.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The OP should be able to confirm. Possibly somewhere on the Arun Valley line, maybe Pulborough in West Sussex.
Ah yes, that seems to work, although the fare from there seems to have been £21.90 for some time, looking at BRFares, rather than having changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.