• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KeyGo at Cambridge

Despite being around for many years, GTR's PAYG KeyGo scheme on its Key Smart card has never reached Cambridge (or Peterborough for that matter). It weirdly cuts off at Foxton and Huntingdon (the last stations before Cambridge and Peterborough respectively). It's almost as if they are trying to exclude them. I was wondering why this was, as Cambridge is a major and highly popular station on the GN/TL network. The only reason I can think is that Cambridge is a Greater Anglia managed station (and Peterborough is LNER), therefore the barriers somehow aren't compatible with PAYG - this is exactly why TOCs shouldn't manage stations. However, The Key Smartcard can be used (i.e. pre-paid tickets and flexi seasons etc), so why can't keyGo be used?

Here's the keyGo map: https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/-...documents/gtr-1805-ret-keygo-area-map-v27.pdf

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Could it be that the readers can't identify people using LNER services (on which I assume KeyGo isn't accepted)? Likewise there will be people who try to use the facility at Cambridge on other operators' services, only to get caught out as they can't touch out at, say, Stansted or Norwich.

Similarly, PAYG can be used to touch in at Reading and out at Feltham or Redhill, but is not valid on the direct trains between those points, which can lead to problems .

Could it be that the readers can't identify people using LNER services (on which I assume KeyGo isn't accepted)? Likewise there will be people who try to use the facility at Cambridge on other operators' services, only to get caught out as they can't touch out at, say, Stansted or Norwich.
Surely the same could be said for Bedford, which is keyGo enabled

Robski_

Cambridge and Peterborough stations are not managed by GTR, and the gatelines need to be programmed to report keyGo taps to a separate system.

Key smartcards with pre-loaded tickets make use of the ITSO ticketing standard, which is used by all smartcards of all operators and so is accepted across most of the country.

Cambridge and Peterborough stations are not managed by GTR, and the gatelines need to be programmed to report keyGo taps to a separate system.

Key smartcards with pre-loaded tickets make use of the ITSO ticketing standard, which is used by all smartcards of all operators and so is accepted across most of the country.
This is why TOCs shouldn't manage stations

bcarmicle

If TOCs didn't manage stations and say Network Rail did, then KeyGo might not even have happened? GTR would have had to get Network Rail on board and they have presumably much less incentive to do anything about it.

Somewhere

Should just be the case that all ticketing should all be compatible with equipment at all stations

higthomas

Personally I think most ticketing systems, in particular smart cards, should be managed nationally.
So rather than having 20 different often incompatible smart cards (despite being based on the same technology) you just have one!
But that would be far too passenger friendly :rolleyes: