• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King’s Cross rail tunnels get improved phone coverage

H&I

King’s Cross rail tunnels get improved phone coverage - ianVisits
The tunnels just outside King’s Cross station are a noted blackspot for mobile phone coverage for people arriving or leaving the station – but that should change soon.

A joint project is adding phone coverage transmitted into the tunnels, and the first of the new antennas was installed during the recent closure for rail maintenance works.

The delivery of the project, funded by LNER working in collaboration with Network Rail and the mobile network operators, will mean the tunnels will be the first on the country’s operational railway to be fitted with a new bespoke solution installed by Linbrooke.
Although the tunnel section involved is very short, having that connectivity will no doubt benefit passengers as they may be checking onward connections on approach to the station or making calls as they get settled in on their journey from London. Is there any other section of the railway that may benefit from improved mobile coverage?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JJmoogle

Is there any other section of the railway that may benefit from improved mobile coverage?

I'd love to see this in the tunnels on the west side of Birmingham New Street, so easy to get held in them and it's the exact moment I need to start ringing people about missed connections or plan changes, or look up details to know if/where I need to sprint.

Buzby

Glasgow Queen Street (High & Low Level) would seriously benefit from connectivity in exactly the same way as KX will!

TJM

Just find some way to improve coverage on voyagers and I'll be delighted
Virgin West Coast did exactly that, and it seems to have survived on the Avanti ones too this day - repeaters in the carriages.

But other than that, pretty much any tunnel on the network, and many cuttings, could do with improvement. It's strange the GSM-R infrastructure can't be shared with the commercial operators, would even seem like a possible way to reduce costs?

duffield

Established Member
The same issue exists on the approach to St. Pancras - a combination of short tunnels, long overbridges, deep cuttings etc.

LBMPSB

It's strange the GSM-R infrastructure can't be shared with the commercial operators, would even seem like a possible way to reduce costs?
Could be to do with security issues. GSM-R is not just ised for the driver-signaller communications. The GSM-R network is used extensively for signalling systems. The Thameslink core the GSM-R is used for the trans mission of ETCS.

TJM

Could be to do with security issues. GSM-R is not just ised for the driver-signaller communications. The GSM-R network is used extensively for signalling systems. The Thameslink core the GSM-R is used for the trans mission of ETCS.
I mean even the physical masts, power supplies, etc?

notverydeep

An amusing pass time for anyone commuting between King's Cross and Welwyn Garden City is watching people get frustrated as they get cut off in Potters Bar tunnel, get briefly reconnected before the Hadley Tunnels, try again and just get back into their conversations when the train reaches Barnet Tunnel. After which they normally give up. I wonder if the project is going to address all nine tunnels between Stevenage and King's Cross, or just Copenhagen Tunnel and Gas Works Tunnel...

LBMPSB

Bear in mind that GSM-R is old technology, 2G tech, so out of date with todays 4G/5G tech. It is being looked at to being replaced with Future Railway Mobile Communications System (FRMCS) which is a 5G based technology.

stuu

Established Member
I think there was a problem as the masts were often put up using the permission for railway operational reasons. Commercial use would mean planning permission was needed

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is a long term planning restriction. The masts were put up as part of a national communication and safety upgrade. So the Railway’s “operational use“ was considered to be covered by permitted development rights. Public access would have to go though the whole planning application process.

Elecman

Established Member
I think there was a problem as the masts were often put up using the permission for railway operational reasons. Commercial use would mean planning permission was needed
Correct the masts and associated REBs were installed using Network Rail Permitted Developement Consent process. Any commercial use of the masts would involve retrospective planning permission being required

Buzby

Any commercial use of the masts would involve retrospective planning permission being required
So no big deal - everyone will support the amalgamation as the visual clutter will be reduced. The commercial sites have been required to site-share and Co-locate wherever possible. The fact NR had exclusivity made sense at the start but less so now.

GSM-R is life expired and as it moves to 5G the linear nature of the old network means the bulk of the sites are in places public networks have no real interest in covering anyway but it remains an opportunity - RailCom5G could be created and NR offer lucrative roaming to the remaining public networks.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I'd rather not have my safety-critical comms network potentially at risk of becoming jammed up with people on-board watching cat videos online when I need it.

It's separate from the public bandwiths for a reason, let's keep it that way.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
So no big deal - everyone will support the amalgamation as the visual clutter will be reduced. The commercial sites have been required to site-share and Co-locate wherever possible. The fact NR had exclusivity made sense at the start but less so now.

GSM-R is life expired and as it moves to 5G the linear nature of the old network means the bulk of the sites are in places public networks have no real interest in covering anyway but it remains an opportunity - RailCom5G could be created and NR offer lucrative roaming to the remaining public networks.

Not correct. In many areas, especially in some of the National parks, it would cause a huge problem so would be a very big deal. There were numerous arguements about the currect masts and their positioning.

Buzby

Yes - that’s why ALL the emergency networks have agreed to leave Airwave (their dedicated emergency service) and go to 5G. As for bandwidth, it remains separate and the also have priority should an incident require more bandwidth - all at the expense of public cat videos…..

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not correct. In many areas, especially in some of the National parks, it would cause a huge problem so would be a very big deal. There were numerous arguements about the currect masts and their positioning.
That’s before you consider that any plans for new public masts and aerials bring out more nimbys than almost anything else, worried that they’ll be affected by the radio signals. Of course they’ll probably then register their objection using their mobile phones…

Ediswan

Established Member
Yes - that’s why ALL the emergency networks have agreed to leave Airwave (their dedicated emergency service) and go to 5G.
Reported delayed until 2029.
https://techmonitor.ai/government-computing/esn-emergency-services-network-airwave-home-office
The Home Office is “exploring options” to extend the life of the emergency services Airwave communication network, after the adoption date for its replacement, the Emergency Services Network Mobile Communications Programme (ESNMCP) was pushed back to 2029. Airwave is currently due to be switched off in 2026 when the contract with its provider Motorola, comes to an end.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I'd rather not have my safety-critical comms network potentially at risk of becoming jammed up with people on-board watching cat videos online when I need it.

You can do this all in software nowadays. 5G supports network slicing & allows for QoS priorities to be set for safety critical traffic.

Buzby

Reported delayed until 2029.
I do recall Airwave‘s contract has already been extended twice - this new delay is because Vodafone (who I understand are the leading network in its implementation) are saying the software needs to be fully resilient and refuse to sign off on it.

Meanwhile, Motorola who own Airwave are delighted that this cash cow is still bringing home the bacon (to mix a metaphor), as no new-design handsets have been developed in years nor will be. Moto simply ramps up production of the (already) obsolete kit and HM Govt writes a cheque.

Killingworth

Established Member
I know it's not the same but it's a few years ago that I was surprised when my car radio kept working going north through the tunnel of the Dartford Crossing. I think the satnav carries on through the Tyne Tunnel too.

No doubt in 10 years time we'll be taking it for granted that we can get good wifi, moblle signals, radio and satnav through all our tunnels both beneath London and the Pennines.

LBMPSB

The thing with providing public coverage through tunnels and remote locatons, it is not really cost affective for Network Rail to fund it. Unless Mobile Phone Operators are willing to come forward with the money, I think there will always be coldspots through tunnels and remote locations. I love it when going through tunnels, it stops those annoying people who have to shout when using their mobiles.

Adam Williams

Established Member
The thing with providing public coverage through tunnels and remote locatons, it is not really cost affective for Network Rail to fund it. Unless Mobile Phone Operators are willing to come forward with the money, I think there will always be coldspots through tunnels and remote locations. I love it when going through tunnels, it stops those annoying people who have to shout when using their mobiles.
This is exactly the sort of thing the state should be investing in. There will be at least some indirect ROI in terms of tax receipts.

At present I really avoid taking business calls or doing anything remotely risky like a software release if I can't rely on there to be good mobile connectivity afterwards. This means the time I spent on trains is less productive than it otherwise would be. The tube is a complete write-off because so many platforms, escalators and tunnels still lack any mobile connectivity.

It goes beyond just business use too, it's a social good. Automated announcements go on about texting 61016 all the time if passengers feel unsafe, on tube trains which half the time won't be able to send an outgoing SMS!

D365

Veteran Member
Bear in mind that GSM-R is old technology, 2G tech, so out of date with todays 4G/5G tech. It is being looked at to being replaced with Future Railway Mobile Communications System (FRMCS) which is a 5G based technology.
But won’t be ready in time for the East Coast ETCS rollout.

Ediswan

Established Member
I think the satnav carries on through the Tyne Tunnel too.
Some satnavs will use inertial guidance when they lose satellite signal. The drift is low enough to cover short periods, especially if an 'on road' assumption is used. I recall my car GPS matching the signs for the Italian/French border in the Fréjus road tunnel.

takno

Established Member
Some satnavs will use inertial guidance when they lose satellite signal. The drift is low enough to cover short periods, especially if an 'on road' assumption is used. I recall my car GPS matching the signs for the Italian/French border in the Fréjus road tunnel.
GPS is a whole different kettle of fish. You just can't put repeaters in for that. Virtually all GPS systems in practice are depending on the intertial readings a lot of the time. You can see if you are using Google Maps on a train that it's incapable of believing that you are on a train, and will instead lock onto the nearest road, often proudly declaring that it has you at an exact position on the road for several miles after the road has diverged.

PM77

I know it's not the same but it's a few years ago that I was surprised when my car radio kept working going north through the tunnel of the Dartford Crossing. I think the satnav carries on through the Tyne Tunnel too.

No doubt in 10 years time we'll be taking it for granted that we can get good wifi, moblle signals, radio and satnav through all our tunnels both beneath London and the Pennines.
You can't even keep an analogue radio signal travelling through the Pennines. It will probably be on the bottom of the list, due to it being north of the Watford gap.