• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross barriers not allowing Off Peak ticket to Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat

My flatmate had a weird and frustrating problem trying to travel today and I wondered if anyone could diagnose what happened.

She bought an Off Peak Return from King's Cross to Cambridge from a machine at King's Cross at around 5 pm. She was planning on returning later this evening. The only restriction (which was printed on the ticket) was after 0929. However on trying to pass the sole barrier to the platform she got "Seek Assistance". The useless assistant flatly refused to let her through or resolve the situation simply repeating that her ticket was invalid. Eventually she was forced to get a refund at the ticket desk where baffled staff confirmed that her ticket was valid but were equally unwilling to sort out the problem.

She thinks it might be something to do with the fact the ticket was off-peak but I've seen a picture of it and the only restriction was the after 0929. Also the ticket machine sold it to her just a few minutes earlier. Oh and it was First Capital Connect.

Can anyone explain what might have gone wrong? And what she should have done to resolve the problem?

Cheers,

Mat

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
What ticket did she have? Was it a day return or month return? Was there a TOC restriction?

The SVR (Any Permitted) is not valid from Kings Cross between 1730 and 1830 - did she try to travel at that time?
The SVR (Greater Anglia only) is not valid between 1501 and 1844 inclusive

It may be that it was not valid and the ticket office wanted to save face or that she was in the right (I hope if she was there was no admin fee on the refund and if she had to pay for an anytime to make a complaint)

Alas all these questions are needed thanks to our fare structure :(

Mat

It was a day return. I will find out the exact time but I think it was before 5.30.

bnm

Established Member
The Off Peak Day Return (CDR), routed Any Permitted is valid from King's Cross in the evening peak. As long as your friend wasn't attempting to travel with a route Greater Anglia Only ticket (not sure these are even sold by TVMs at KGX) then the ticket was valid at that time from King's Cross

If it was the Day Return your friend purchased then she needs to complain to the company responsible for manning the barrier for refusing to let her travel with a perfectly valid ticket. She should also complain about the ticket office staff for not helping to resolve the situation.

One thing though, did the ticket really have the time restriction printed on it? That's a new one on me if so. Validity is usually marked: 'As Advertised' on such tickets.

Is this First Capital Connect? They have some evening peak restrictions - http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u...-tickets/travel-off-peak/ticket-restrictions/

I can't comment on why that wasn't communicated to you though, either by the staff, ticket machine or ticket.

That information from First Capital Connect does not tally with the restriction code text associated with an Off Peak Day Return, Any Permitted London Terminals to Cambridge.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/CDR_B1.pdf

Also, First Capital Connect's booking engine will happily sell you this ticket with the selection of an outward train between 1630-1901.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Was she using a railcard with the ticket? I often find barriers tend to reject railcard discounted tickets, forcing you to speak to staff who should then confirm that you are in possession the railcard in question.

island

Veteran Member
An off-peak day return is valid at that time. An off-peak return is not. Perhaps the gateline staff got confused.

At Kings Cross, I've twice had ticket barriers rejecting valid tickets.

I've contacted FCC about their problem. And they have chosen to do nothing about it.

FCC have told me in the past they don't train ticket barrier staff properly.

In future, bring a NationalRail enquiries journey planner showing your ticket is valid when staff or barriers prevent you from using your valid ticket on a train.

philjo

Established Member
The outward portion of an Off-peak Day return (CDR) for London Terminals to Cambridge has no evening peak restriction out of Kings Cross:

Restriction Code: B1

OUTWARD TRAVEL
By any train except those timed to depart Mondays to Fridays before 0930

RETURN TRAVEL
By any train

The Off-peak return (SVR) does have a restriction on the outward portion but only from 17:30 to 18:30. Therefore both tickets would be valid at 5pm - e.g. using the 17:14 fast service to Cambridge.

Restriction Code: 5J

Restriction Applies:
Monday to Friday only. No travel restrictions on other days.

OUTWARD TRAVEL:
By any train scheduled to depart at or after 0930,
except

Also, at or after 0915 from Bedford or Peterborough.

Not valid on any services which are scheduled to depart
London Kings Cross, London St Pancras Intl or Moorgate or pass through London St Pancras Intl between 1730 and 1830 (inc), regardless of where_you join or leave the service.

RETURN TRAVEL:
By any train scheduled to depart at or after 0930
except:

Not valid on any services
which are scheduled to depart London Kings Cross, London St Pancras Intl or Moorgate or pass through London St Pancras Intl between 1730 and 1830 (inc), regardless of where_you join or leave the service.

All Line Rover

Established Member
An off-peak day return is valid at that time. An off-peak return is not. Perhaps the gateline staff got confused.

Gateline staff should not get confused, especially with something as simple as that. If they can't cope with the difference between Day Returns and Open Returns (whether through lack of training or their own stupidity - more likely the former), the TOC should not install barriers! Barriers are all well and good but not if a customer is prevented from boarding a train which their ticket is valid on.

island

Veteran Member
Gateline staff should not get confused, especially with something as simple as that. If they can't cope with the difference between Day Returns and Open Returns (whether through lack of training or their own stupidity - more likely the former), the TOC should not install barriers! Barriers are all well and good but not if a customer is prevented from boarding a train which their ticket is valid on.

I agree!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am generally a supporter of barriers, but not when they lead to unacceptable incidents of this nature.

The fares system is far too complicated for the amount of training given to barrier staff. The number of reports we see on this forum about barrier staff making basic mistakes must be evidence of pretty widespread poor training.

Nonetheless, I would also question the way barrier staff are recruited by some TOC's, who seem to see the role as one of preventing people travelling whereever possible. How much of the recruitment proces is geared towards ensuring the appointed mamber of staff has the ability to absorb the complexities of railway ticketing? I'd guess not an awful lot, as clearly some TOC's see the priority as being the ability to take a statement and report someone for prosecution (don't worry if it's wrong, we can back down just before the court date).

If only the DfT woudl take some sort of action, but then they love barriers even more than the TOC's.

MichaelAMW

Noting an analogy with a situation I experienced myself recently, I wonder if the person on the barrier assumed that, since it was the evening, the OP was travelling on the return half of a CDR *from* Cambridge and didn't notice it was actually an outward half. In the light of that confusion they would be right as the restriction is 16.29 to 19.00 on a return half. Not that this gives them any excuse, of course...!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Noting an analogy with a situation I experienced myself recently, I wonder if the person on the barrier assumed that, since it was the evening, the OP was travelling on the return half of a CDR *from* Cambridge and didn't notice it was actually an outward half. In the light of that confusion they would be right as the restriction is 16.29 to 19.00 on a return half. Not that this gives them any excuse, of course...!

In my view that is more of an elementary mistake than not noticing 'Day' in the name of the ticket. Or not knowing the difference in validity between an Off Peak Return and an Off Peak Day Return.

philjo

Established Member
We have had issues at other FCC stations where the barriers would not accept off-peak tickets before 09:30 even if they are valid.

e.g. using the outward portion of an off-peak return to Cardiff is valid on any train out of Paddington after 08:15 & as we are in the Network area can use any train into London to connect with the service out of Paddington but the FCC barriers rejected it.

Likewise recently FCC barriers rejected an off-peak return to southport which can be used out of Euston after 09:26 - we were using the 08:47 FCC service to Kings Cross. I went through with my season ticket as splitting at the station where my season ended. My Dad's ticket was rejected & was told it was only valid after 09:30 - it took them a while to accept he could go through.

In the case of the OP, aren't the barriers in the main platforms at KX operated by East Coast? I think the 17:14 to Cambridge usually goes from the main platforms but sometimes goes from 9.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Solution - just always buy Anytime tickets in future; no problem with the barriers and more revenue for FCC - it's win-win!

I hope your flatmate gets some compensation (I know some will go on about compensation culture, but I don't think this is an unreasonable claim - she had a valid ticket and was denied travel for false reasons. It's also the only way to learn companies which would otherwise just claim that "steps were being taken...").

benk1342

These kinds of issues are disgraceful. Gateline staff are responsible for having greater than bare-minimum understanding of how off-peak restrictions work. Is it a lack of training, or is the training available and the individuals just don't care to take it in?

The travelling public is entitled to be able to rely on getting accurate information from what they will perceive to be industry professionals working the gateline. There is no excuse for less.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
These kinds of issues are disgraceful. Gateline staff are responsible for having greater than bare-minimum understanding of how off-peak restrictions work. Is it a lack of training, or is the training available and the individuals just don't care to take it in?

The travelling public is entitled to be able to rely on getting accurate information from what they will perceive to be industry professionals working the gateline. There is no excuse for less.

I completely agree. but I would be very surprised if the ticket training given to gateline staff would be sufficiently in depth to cover every ticket or combination of tickets they are likely to come across passing through Kings Cross, or any other busy station.

Then you have the question over whether the individuals selected for the role have the right attributes for dealing with tickets that might appear at first glance to be invalid. Do they double check, or are the sort of peopel that go through the selection process more likely to be so certain they are right that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility they may not be?

In my view, TOC's need to focus their training on how to resolve incidents where the customer aserts that their tivket is valid, rather than just tell staff 'off peak tickets aren't valid before xxxx or between xxxx and xxxx'.

An obvious way to do this would be to provide the know how and facility to check restriction codes at the gateline. No doubt it would assist if the validity code was actually printed on the ticket too!

One thing is certain, however. TOC's need tot ake more responsibility for staff getting things wrong and inconveniencing passengers.

benk1342

I completely agree. but I would be very surprised if the ticket training given to gateline staff would be sufficiently in depth to cover every ticket or combination of tickets they are likely to come across passing through Kings Cross, or any other busy station.

True, but Cambridge is a very, very common destination from King's Cross.

Then you have the question over whether the individuals selected for the role have the right attributes for dealing with tickets that might appear at first glance to be invalid. Do they double check, or are the sort of peopel that go through the selection process more likely to be so certain they are right that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility they may not be?

In my view, TOC's need to focus their training on how to resolve incidents where the customer aserts that their tivket is valid, rather than just tell staff 'off peak tickets aren't valid before xxxx or between xxxx and xxxx'.

An obvious way to do this would be to provide the know how and facility to check restriction codes at the gateline. No doubt it would assist if the validity code was actually printed on the ticket too!

One thing is certain, however. TOC's need tot ake more responsibility for staff getting things wrong and inconveniencing passengers.

Staff ought to be trained to check when they aren't sure rather than refusing entry and leaving the burden on the customer. I think a lot of customers, rather than "asserting" that their ticket is valid, will assume they have made a mistake and that the industry professional at the gateline is right. The public should not be required to second-guess gateline staff that should know what they are doing. If staff is not sure, they should find out. That is (or at least should be) part of their job.

If all they are doing is being a barrier, they should leave that role to the mechanical barriers, who presumably require less pay.

cjohnson

I had a ticket the other day which had the restriction code printed on it... Is this something the TOCs are rolling out now?

philjo

Established Member
I had a ticket the other day which had the restriction code printed on it... Is this something the TOCs are rolling out now?

That's good - but have the barrier staff been trained to know what it means?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, TOCs are rolling out tickets with restriction codes printed on them (just underneath the price). This means that soon, gateline staff need only carry a booklet detailing the restrictions of every restriction code, and could very quickly look up the time restrictions of a ticket. Whether TOCs will issue them with such a booklet remains to be seen.

island

Veteran Member
In my view that is more of an elementary mistake than not noticing 'Day' in the name of the ticket. Or not knowing the difference in validity between an Off Peak Return and an Off Peak Day Return.

Indeed. But it is not unique to FCC. Back when I was commuting to [stn]NMP[/stn], the Virgin gateline at [stn]EUS[/stn] frequently rejected valid off-peak tickets where the outbound portion would not have been invalid but the return portion (which I was using) was.

Lou_

Hi All,

I am the flatmate in question. I have to say I'm overwhelmed by the responses!

Re: clearing up some questions, it was a day return off-peak ticket, purchased from a ticket machine at 17:34, and I was looking to catch the 17:44 train to Cambridge. Re: the validity time, that was on the machine itself, and not the ticket. I took a picture of this (Valid after 09:29) and showed this to the person on the barrier on one of my many visits to attempt to board a train, and she still wasn't having any of it. She was shown both portions of my ticket, with accompanying proof I had just purchased them.

After almost an hour of attempting to board a train to Cambridge with my valid ticket, I just gave up. I was fed up of queuing at the ticket office to be told repeatedly that my ticket was valid (I know it was valid, seems the whole planet did apart from the barrier person!), so I went to St Pancras to get a refund on my ticket from the First Capital Connect desk. Funnily enough, the ticket office staff person there also repeated that my ticket was valid(!), and immediately authorised a refund.

I was so angry and upset yesterday to have been messed about like that. The refund doesn't cover my costs incurred to get to and from Kings Cross, nor the fact that I missed my friend's leaving do. I will be writing a letter of complaint to both East Coast (the employer of the ticket barrier person) and First Capital Connect (for issuing valid tickets that aren't accepted by barriers). If anyone can offer advice on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Lou

benk1342

I will be writing a letter of complaint to both East Coast (the employer of the ticket barrier person) and First Capital Connect (for issuing valid tickets that aren't accepted by barriers). If anyone can offer advice on this, I would be very grateful.

Good for you. As I've said, what a shame that this happened. There are people here who are very experienced writing these sorts of letters and I'm sure will be along shortly to advise you. Good luck.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
True, but Cambridge is a very, very common destination from King's Cross.

It is, but I wonder how many other destinations are also very popular from King's Cross? The problem is that there are so many places that so many people will want to travel to, and so many tickets they can use to get them there. And I would guess that Off Peak Returns are going to be more common in the late afternoon than Off peak Day Returns.

None of this excuses what happened, of copurse, but it's illustrative of the difficulties of training staff and of them retaining any information they may have been given. Both are problems that need to be looked at, in my view.

Staff ought to be trained to check when they aren't sure rather than refusing entry and leaving the burden on the customer. I think a lot of customers, rather than "asserting" that their ticket is valid, will assume they have made a mistake and that the industry professional at the gateline is right. The public should not be required to second-guess gateline staff that should know what they are doing. If staff is not sure, they should find out. That is (or at least should be) part of their job.

Absolutely. This is the approach that should be drummed into gateline staff on induction and for ever after!

If all they are doing is being a barrier, they should leave that role to the mechanical barriers, who presumably require less pay.

This leads on to another issue - barriers being programmed to reject tickets. I don't know what the current position is at Kings Cross, but it could well be that there has been a blanket ban on all off peak tickets after 1600 or so.

If that is the case, then it is even more necessary for gate staff to either double check validities of tickets presented to them, or to know the different validities (I suggest the former is more realistic) rather than just preventing people from travelling because the barrier says so. As you say, they might as well not be there if that is all they are going to do.

That's good - but have the barrier staff been trained to know what it means?

I would guess not!

Indeed. But it is not unique to FCC. Back when I was commuting to [stn]NMP[/stn], the Virgin gateline at [stn]EUS[/stn] frequently rejected valid off-peak tickets where the outbound portion would not have been invalid but the return portion (which I was using) was.

It's not unique to FCC, or to King's Cross (i've tried to be general!). The problem does seem to be worse in London, though perhaps that's just down to the volume of passengers.

Hi All,

I am the flatmate in question. I have to say I'm overwhelmed by the responses!

Re: clearing up some questions, it was a day return off-peak ticket, purchased from a ticket machine at 17:34, and I was looking to catch the 17:44 train to Cambridge. Re: the validity time, that was on the machine itself, and not the ticket. I took a picture of this (Valid after 09:29) and showed this to the person on the barrier on one of my many visits to attempt to board a train, and she still wasn't having any of it. She was shown both portions of my ticket, with accompanying proof I had just purchased them.

Hi Lou. You need to report this matter urgently. It is completely unacceptable. Seek assurances that this matter will be addressed, and in a timely manner.

After almost an hour of attempting to board a train to Cambridge with my valid ticket, I just gave up. I was fed up of queuing at the ticket office to be told repeatedly that my ticket was valid (I know it was valid, seems the whole planet did apart from the barrier person!), so I went to St Pancras to get a refund on my ticket from the First Capital Connect desk. Funnily enough, the ticket office staff person there also repeated that my ticket was valid(!), and immediately authorised a refund.

It does appear that the ticket is valid, and that the only person who did not accept it was the barrier person. This makes it even more unacceptable that the member of staff concerned did not check with a colleague, a superior or even the ticket office.

We all make mistakes, I made a fair few in the ticket office myself, and many of those were caught by the passenger. I find it alarming that some staff are not open to the possibility they may have got soemthing wrong, possibly even more alarming than them being wrong in the first place.

I was so angry and upset yesterday to have been messed about like that. The refund doesn't cover my costs incurred to get to and from Kings Cross, nor the fact that I missed my friend's leaving do. I will be writing a letter of complaint to both East Coast (the employer of the ticket barrier person) and First Capital Connect (for issuing valid tickets that aren't accepted by barriers). If anyone can offer advice on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Lou

If the person was employed by East Coast, then write only to East Coast. It is likely the barriers have been programmed by them as well. On this occasion, FCC do not appear to have been in the wrong. The TVM sold a perfectly valid ticket, and it is only the representative of East Coast that has denied you the travel you were entitled to.

As I said above, ask for assurances that there will be a briefing for all staff, and retraining where necessary. I would also ask for compensation for the amount of money that was wasted in getting to King's Cross as well.

bnm

Established Member
What also doesn't help is this paragraph from FCC's website:

Travelling on an Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Day Travelcard, Family Travelcard or DaySave

Your ticket is not valid for travel from Zone B (Central) to Zone D (Outer Urban) if the service departs from Moorgate, King’s Cross or St Pancras International (including pass-throughs) between 1630 and 1901 Monday to Friday.
http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.u...-tickets/travel-off-peak/ticket-restrictions/

That is just wrong for so many tickets, not just ones to Cambridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.