• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

King's Cross Renamed to "London terminal" by Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobWrenn

As shown in the screenshot, it appears Google Maps has been edited to change the name of King's Cross to "London terminal".

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    706.5 KB · Views: 385
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
I've submitted a request to change the name to Kings Cross. If a few people do the same it'll get sorted.

mawallace

Could well have been edited to London Terminals by someone being 'helpful'! It's very easy to make changes to Google Maps if you are regular user -

londontransit

I really don't have much of a problem with this - it does say London King's Cross and then it says London Terminal. Restored 19th century railway station.

It probably varies somewhat depending on where one is linking from but its the same as in the attachment submitted earlier.

PeterC

Established Member
I really don't have much of a problem with this - it does say London King's Cross and then it says London Terminal. Restored 19th century railway station.

It probably varies somewhat depending on where one is linking from but its the same as in the attachment submitted earlier.
On my Android phone there is no mention of King's Cross against the station icon

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My name change edit (submitted yesterday) is still showing as "Under Review" :(

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I'd hope that no-one expected to use Google maps as a definitive reference source for anything at all - even the nearest burger bar!

PeterC

Established Member
Mine shows as Kings Cross Station! It depends on what zoom setting one is using I think.
Zoom makes no difference on my phone. On high magnification a separate photo pin labelled King's Cross appears but no change to the label against the double arrow icon.

Acton1991

I'm getting London Terminal too. Google Maps has so many errors across it, and making changes is so cumbersome. Wrong icons is another issue, especially in London.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Perhaps Google is describing what it is rather than what it's called?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Some newbie has probably read the destination off their recent ticket to Kings Cross and put 2+2 together and got 5, and then told Google… o_O

D6975

Established Member
It should be Kings Cross, not King's Cross. As has been discussed before, railway stations rarely have apostrophes in their name.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It should be Kings Cross, not King's Cross. As has been discussed before, railway stations rarely have apostrophes in their name.
'King's Cross' station signage seems to be variously spelt both with and without an apostrophe. It's definitely not 'London Terminal' though!

WesternBiker

I have submiitted the change so hopefully it'll change at some point.
I'm getting London Terminal too. Google Maps has so many errors across it, and making changes is so cumbersome. Wrong icons is another issue, especially in London.
I agree - locations are often awry, and key buildings are missed off altogether.

pelli

Mine shows as Kings Cross Station! It depends on what zoom setting one is using I think.
Zoom makes no difference on my phone. On high magnification a separate photo pin labelled King's Cross appears but no change to the label against the double arrow icon.
Indeed, this is another problem with Google Maps where they don't cull/merge duplicate listings. In fact there are currently triplicate entries (see attached screenshot collage): London terminal (a "train station"), Kings Cross Station (a "train depot"), and London King's Cross (a "tourist attraction").

"London terminal" is the listing that's interlinked with the train running data (and comes with the double-arrow logo and the train station symbol). In particular, this means that when looking up calling points for a train the station is shown as "London terminal" (although the train destination field is still "London Kings Cross"), and if you make a public transport journey search you get instructions like "walk to London terminal").

I've found that when typing "King's" into the search bar, a suggestion of "King's Cross Station, Euston Road, London" with the train station symbol comes up, and if I click it I get the "London terminal" entry, so it seems that Google Maps knows that "King's Cross Station" is an alternative name for the entry, but it's decided that "London terminal" is the main name to be displayed everywhere. I recall there used to be a way of inspecting and editing the alternative names (maybe back in the Google Map Maker days?), but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Next door, we have "St Pancras International" (a "train station" with live train data), "St Pancras International" (without any type declaration) and "Saint Pancras Station" (a "building"). Interestingly, in between there's a "King's Cross St. Pancras Underground Station" (an "underground station") with live tube data, and a "King's Cross St Pancras tube station" (a "public transport station") with the same live tube data, plus live bus data and live train data for departures from St Pancras, which would indicate that some manual effort has been put in to combine various automated data sources, but not in a consistent way.

Attachments

• LondonTerminal.png
    LondonTerminal.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 74

Dave W

A similar, but slightly less glaring, error is that Finsbury Park is displayed on Maps with an Overground roundel. Presumably Google asks "do overground trains stop here" and people - quite reasonably imo - respond in the affirmative.

Acton1991

A similar, but slightly less glaring, error is that Finsbury Park is displayed on Maps with an Overground roundel. Presumably Google asks "do overground trains stop here" and people - quite reasonably imo - respond in the affirmative.
The other end of the spectrum, North Acton has a 'railway' icon, and you have to zoom right in to click on the Underground logo (which means you can't get real time departures quickly and easily). It's super frustrating and I don't get why they would have 2 x listings for the same place.

I've reported them as duplicates numerous times but nothing seems to be done.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Think someone’s been watching too much Mission Impossible…

Attachments

• MissionImpossible1.jpg
    MissionImpossible1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 130
  • MissionImpossible2.jpg.jpg
    MissionImpossible2.jpg.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 137

JacobWrenn

Also appears fixed for me. However the live train data still seems to be associated with the “London terminal” name. Possibly user suggested changes only apply to the location listing.

Attachments

• 7E5DD2EB-0D49-4E58-8FF1-6C06BB413186.png
    7E5DD2EB-0D49-4E58-8FF1-6C06BB413186.png
    980.4 KB · Views: 44

Lucan

Established Member
Some newbie has probably read the destination off their recent ticket to Kings Cross
More like someone who does not use trains, so the main thing they associate Kings Cross with is Harry Potter. Also, with "restored train station" they make it sound like it is on a heritage line.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Let's not get started on Hillingdon which has apparently had National Rail services for years!

och aye

On a related note, someone has changed Waverley station to the bizarrely named:

Edinburgh Central railway സ്റ്റേഷൻ​

If you have a Google account, I would encourage anyone who is willing to correct it back to Edinburgh Waverley.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe സ്റ്റേഷൻ means 'station' in Malayalam (a language used in part of India). Wonder who approved the change?!

Status
Not open for further replies.