• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross to Heathrow T2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetlagged

I'm travelling in a party of 3 adults and 1 x 8 yr old with luggage for 2 weeks. We're arriving at Kings Cross (KGX) and continuing to Heathrow T2. Our tickets show that we should travel via Tube to Paddington and then Elizabeth Line to Heathrow.

Bearing in mind the fact that one of the party is elderly and the amount of luggage, is the allocated routing the best option? The Tfl journey planner shows using the Met to Farringdon and transferring to Elizabeth there. Where would the best interchange be please.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crablab

I would say Thameslink from St Pancras, changing at Farringdon onto Elizabeth Line. It's completely step free and the least hassle.

Cross over to St Pancras and enter the Thameslink gateline - you can take a lift down to platform level.

Board at the very front of the Thameslink train, and then at Farringdon you can use the lifts at the very front of the platform straight down to the Elizabeth Line platforms.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I'm travelling in a party of 3 adults and 1 x 8 yr old with luggage for 2 weeks. We're arriving at Kings Cross (KGX) and continuing to Heathrow T2. Our tickets show that we should travel via Tube to Paddington and then Elizabeth Line to Heathrow.

Bearing in mind the fact that one of the party is elderly and the amount of luggage, is the allocated routing the best option? The Tfl journey planner shows using the Met to Farringdon and transferring to Elizabeth there. Where would the best interchange be please.
I'm not familiar with tube through-ticket validity but the easiest route would just be the Piccadilly line, 0 changes, fully accessible at both stations.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does your train into Kings Cross call at Stevenage? If so consider a cross platform change onto Thameslink can be made which operates every 15 minutes throughout much of the day. Thameslink will take you direct to Farringdon from where you can take a lift from the very front (south end) of the platform direct to the Elizabeth Line platforms.

If your train doesn't call at Stevenage then I'd either:

1. Take the Piccadilly Line - not the fastest (takes about an hour) but no need to change trains
2. Pop across the road to St Pancras and take a southbound Thameslink to Farringdon as described above

You could take the Met from Kings Cross to Farringdon and change to the Elizabeth Line but changing fro the Met to the Elizabeth Line isn't as easy as a Thameslink to Elizabeth Line change.

There's much more walking involved if you change from the Underground to the Elizabeth Line at Paddington. I'd only change at Paddington if you're taking the (hideously priced) Heathrow Express.

TFN

It’s worth noting that if your tickets are with an itinerary that recommends you to use the Elizabeth line, it’s highly likely that the destination on the ticket will be Heathrow Rail, which aren’t valid on the Piccadilly Line. Tickets for the Piccadilly Line would be to Heathrow (Underground).

If your ticket is a travelcard then you’re free to take either route to Heathrow. I would go through Farringdon and then Elizabeth line though.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It’s worth noting that if your tickets are with an itinerary that recommends you to use the Elizabeth line, it’s highly likely that the destination on the ticket will be Heathrow Rail, which aren’t valid on the Piccadilly Line. Tickets for the Piccadilly Line would be to Heathrow (Underground).

If your ticket is a travelcard then you’re free to take either route to Heathrow. I would go through Farringdon and then Elizabeth line though.

(The bolding and italicising are mine.)

This is an important - in fact crucial - point! You don't need an argument or negotiation on ticket validity right at the start of your trip!

I was going to suggest just taking the Picadilly line as being the easiest, but if your destination is indeed "Heathrow Rail" then as TFN and others have said go via Thameslink to Farrington and then an easy change for the Elizabeth line.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you let us know exactly what tickets you hold then we can advise appropriate options.

Jetlagged

Hello to you all and many thanks for your detailed responses which have enabled me to make a decision on our routing. Unfortunately we do not stop at SVG so will have to make the change at KGX and we have decided to cross over to STP and take the servive to ZFD and change onto the Elizabeoth Line there. As has been suggested above, our tickets are marked Heathrow Rail, so the Piccadilly Line wasn't an option.

Thanks again to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.