• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroman62

I came across the attached snap from i think the late 1970s. I think it is showing the wiring of the overhead system being put in at Kings Cross. I remember at the time watching trains with men standing on the roof!

Attachments

• kINGScROSSWIRES.JPG
    kINGScROSSWIRES.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 135
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overtonchris

That photo takes me back a bit!! I remember seeing that "electrification train" all over in late 70's / early 80's. I'm probably wrong, but was that set of units made up out of converted 501s from the North London Lines?? Anyone know? Not sure......and nice to see the 47 in the shot too!!!!! GD based perhaps??

Taunton

Established Member
It will be in 1977. The first part of the scheme was the inner suburban services to Welwyn and Hertford, through to the GN&C to Moorgate, opened in 1976 and which cleared many of the suburban trains out of Kings Cross. Once this was done and traffic reduced the track at Kings Cross was completely reorganised and finally electrified, and the outer suburban trains to Royston (only that far, in those days) ran from later in 1977. This was when the eastern of the approach tunnels was abandoned.

The change from loco-hauled to HST main line services also helped ease movements - there used to be a loco stabling point alongside the west side of the station throat, and locos to/from main line trains, especially using the low-numbered platforms on the east side of the station, each had to make multiple Z-shunts right across the layout just to get between the two because of the squashed layout due to the tunnels.

Yes, the electrification trains were made up of former Class 501 units. Over on the West Coast they used converted old LMS carriages instead, and they remained for years afterwards, used for maintenance and for emergency repairs of the overhead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.