• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Norton-Tamworth day return with 16-25 Railcard

crosscity

My grandson has a 16-25 Railcard and needs to go to Tamworth from Kings Norton tomorrow (Mon) arriving at about 09:00.
An Anytime Day Return is £16.70 and the normal railcard fare is £11.00.

Will he be able to buy this ticket for £12.00 on the trainline app?

I don't use the trainline, but doing a fares query on the CrossCountry website, they would sell me the railcard ticket for £12.00.
I just need confirmation from someone who uses the trainline that they would sell him the ticket for £12.00 and not the higher fare of £16.70, or the invalid £11.00 fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crosscity

Yes. Just make sure he doesn't get tempted to pay the lower fare if he sees it.
Thank you for your prompt reply. That's good advice.

Well, all went well with his journey this morning, except he wanted to get off at Wilnecote. The train stopped there at 0906, but the doors wouldn't open and he was overcarried to Tamworth. (The train was 1M00 0640 Cardiff-Nottingham). He was the only person in the carriage wanting to get off there.

I've been on the CrossCountry website, but can't find a way of complaining. It advises me to use social media, but I don't want to. Does anyone know of an email address I can write to? I want to know why this happened, claiming compensation for taxis or late arrival is secondary.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Will he be able to buy this ticket for £12.00 on the trainline app?
Yes, but he shouldn't. He should buy direct from a train operator thereby keeping more money in the industry and avoiding a potential booking fee.

crosscity

Yes, but he shouldn't. He should buy direct from a train operator thereby keeping more money in the industry and avoiding a potential booking fee.
I have tried, but all his mates do it, and they've all got used to it. He's an 18-year old so wants to do things for himself, and won't necessarily take every bit of advice from his grandad! As he's buying a day return, I don't think the Trainline charges a booking fee.

XC has email and postal addresses here
Thanks for the info. I have now managed to put in a complaint, but they've got a couple of weeks to reply.
On Tue, Wed and today (Thu) he managed to get off at Wilnecote.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As he's buying a day return, I don't think the Trainline charges a booking fee.
If he's using the app and buying on the day of travel, they don't charge a fee. And the app is said to be one of the best.